Yoong out for Hungary - Davidson in

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 9 comments

vat_man

Staff Emeritus
From www.dailyf1.com

As expected, Briton Anthony Davidson will replace Alex Yoong as Mark Webber’s Minardi team-mate at the Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix.

Davidson, a contracted British American Racing test driver, had a seat fitting at Faenza on Monday and will drive in his first Formula One race this Sunday. During Davidson’s two-race stint, the team has said Yoong will participate in an extensive test programme so he can get his confidence back and be ready to return for the final three rounds of the season, Italy, USA, and Japan.

Davidson comes to the job having had a notable junior career with impressive performances in Kart and Junior formula machines. He has also completed over 12,000 kilometres in a Grand Prix car and he is looking forward to finally lining up on the grid.

‘This is a fantastic opportunity, as Formula One is something I’ve been dreaming about since I was a child,’ said 23-year-old Davidson. ‘I want to do a professional job for Paul Stoddart and the KL Minardi Asiatech team in Hungary, and my primary target is to qualify for the race. If I can do that in my first Grand Prix, I will be more than happy. I’ve not been to the Hungaroring before, so this will be a new experience for me.

‘I love learning new circuits, though, as it’s all part of the challenge of motor racing.’

Yoong, who has been mature and realistic about his performances, accepted the decision and said he would be working hard over the next month.

‘I accepted Paul’s decision, which resulted from a frank discussion with him,’ said the Malaysian. ‘It was a mutual decision, as both he and I felt a rest would be beneficial for me in the medium term. The breather will allow me to regroup and recharge in order to take on these challenges again.’

Stoddart said the decision to rest Yoong was not taken lightly and hoped to see the youngster develop after some intensive track work.

‘It has obviously been a difficult decision to ‘rest’ Alex for two races, but it’s clear he is struggling with his qualifying pace at the moment,’ he said. Ours is not a team that abandons its drivers, though, and it therefore seemed like the most constructive course of action was to let Alex have a short break from the pressure-laden environment of Formula One weekends.

‘During the intervening time between now and the Italian Grand Prix, he will take part in a testing programme tailored specifically to addressing any loss of confidence he may have suffered and to assisting him improve his qualifying performances, so that he can rejoin the team for the final three races of the season. It’s a tough call, but I believe the right one for Alex and his career.

‘We obviously welcome Anthony to the team and look forward to working with him in Hungary and Belgium.’

What do you think of this Vat? Personally I'm not sure that it's worth anything at all. I mean, surely they would want a driver who's got some experience, to give oldy Marky-boy a bit of chivvying...

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
What do you think of this Vat? Personally I'm not sure that it's worth anything at all. I mean, surely they would want a driver who's got some experience, to give oldy Marky-boy a bit of chivvying...

It's a bit of an odd one - from memory I think Davidson only got the job because he's mates with Villenueve, didn't he? His F3 record's not bad but he's not got a lot of experience.

I think the Minardi drive's being viewed as a bit of a poison chalice - if you're someone who's got an eye on driving or testing in 2003 the last thing you want to do is get blown off by Webber - and if you don't qualify the car it's a bit of disaster from a career point of view. I think that's why the F3000 guys didn't get involved - feel sorry for Wilson though.

I think Stoddart might have copped a few bucks for his trouble from David Richards on this one - maybe BAR are trying to widen Davidson's experience?

Davidson's certainly no star, that's for sure. Why would Richards want to pay Minardi to give Davidson a competitive run? It's more likely that Davidson's got some personal sponsorship behind him - look carefully for stickers that aren't on Webber's overalls!

The team are being notoriously tight-lipped about the times too, one wonders if Herta wasn't a bit quicker in the car but not the cash?

I think you're right about the poison chalice thing, and the chances are that any inexperienced driver is going to take a bit of a kicking from Webber, because (a) he's quite good, and (b) he has ten races under his belt. PLUS, of course, they're only allowed 50Kms in a 'shakedown' test. And who, with a chance of a serious F1 career, would come into a seat vacated only because the previous incumbent was simply rubbish?

It's Good that Yoong himself realises he's gotta start putting reasonable times :clock: together :thumbsup:

Even if we saw him qualify every race :chkflag:, that would be far better than missing races altogether? :shakehead

Originally posted by f1king
I realy thought that yoong was gonna do something, he realy is a dissapointment.

He is, but then I think we knew he was going to be right from his first practice session.

I wonder if Stoddart hasn't sent him off in search of a testing budget...

Well, young Davidson seemed to acquit himself relatively well, got within a couple tenths of Webber of qualifying, but went off with a spin (which I haven't seen - I missed the race coverage).

Shame the New boy Davidson didn't finish the Race :spin:.... :chkflag:

But he managed all but 16 Laps :thumbsup:

Anyone think he was being to kind when being lapped? Ah well I guess anyone would be like that on their debut...:D

Originally posted by alexy2k
Anyone think he was being to kind when being lapped? Ah well I guess anyone would be like that on their debut...:D
No, I don't think he was being too kind - he doesn't want to be on anyone's bad side (drivers, teams, or fans) after his first race! :)

Back