You can play GT3 online!! Need testers to figure this out.

• Thread starter Bill-182
  • 19 comments
Ok, talking to a friend of mine I threw down the idea of making a firewire hub emulator that would trick your PS2 into thinking it is connected to a hub with other PS2 when it is connected to your PC which each PC is connected through each other on the internet.

He told me that he has talked to the guy who made a similar program for the game cube as an ethernet emulator. His friend then told him that a firewire hub emulator already exists!

The program is available here:

http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/

Here is an example of this application being used to play Time Splitters 2 Online:

http://www.neoavalon.com/TS2O/setup/

Now, when I load up the program, it's only offering me the option of my mini firewire (4pin) connection and my LAN. I plugged my PS2 into my computer via the 4-6pin cables I have already but I don't know if it's going to work.

So this is where everybody else comes in...

What you need:
PS2
Copy of GT3
Either a 4-4 or 4-6 pin firewire cable (might need both to figure this out)
A PC with a 4 or 6 pin firewire plug on it
The GIT program given above

AIM me at o07eleven and we can try to figure this out, because it is possible with this program, I don't have two PS2's or 2 PC's with firewire ports.

I had this idea awhile back, there was a thread about this with a link to some site but it turned about to be just another way to play online games with the network adapter.

Might be wise to try and figure this out with my friends at a LAN. If we get it figured out there, it should be easy to impliment it to online play.

Hmm... It certainly sounds promising, I don't have a firewire port on my comp so I can't test it out with you but I'd love to hear how it goes.

I have a firewire port on my PC, but in the instructions you posted it says you need a network adapter. Which I don't have.

Do we know that GT3 is using IP or IPX packets for i.Link gaming?

If not, I don't think this is going to work.

I would also have concerns about latency. GT3 was designed and tested with a local i.Link connection setup. I don't think the software is equipped to handle higher latency connections.

Originally posted by overpowered
Do we know that GT3 is using IP or IPX packets for i.Link gaming?

If not, I don't think this is going to work.

I would also have concerns about latency. GT3 was designed and tested with a local i.Link connection setup. I don't think the software is equipped to handle higher latency connections.

Halo wasn't designed for internet play, but it plays fine on the internet with the ethernet emulations.

That's not that hard to find out though, hell I'm sure there'd be some documentation on the net somewhere even.

First of all IPX is a protocol developed by Novell for Netware version 1.0 - 3.12. IP was introduced with NW 3.2. It was implemented also in Netware 4. (AKA Intranetware) After that, Netware runs IP native. IPX is not used by anything else, except where a vendor wants to be compatible with older versions of Netware. So I can tell you that it is definitely NOT IPX.

Second issue is that the network protocol is more likely dependant on the PS2 hardware than the game itself. Therefor, I'm sure someone nearby knows what protocol THAT is. We really really hope it's running IP, but I'm sure it prolly is not. So the first hurdle is to write a driver that translates (or encapsulates) between IP and the PS2 protocol. This will reside on both routers.

with that done, it should not be that hard to fool the game into thinking the internet is the same as the firewire lan -HOWEVER- this is where the problem starts.

Each machine on the lan is identified by the hardware, given an identifier, (which is probably a hardware ID, aka firmware) and that is passed along to the game, just in order to make a connection in the first place.

Both machines need the same router, same protocol with a static route in the router table. That will give you a router-to-router connection.

The the consoles have to connect. In order to do this, you now not only have to translate between two protocols, but you also have to reverse engineer the PS2 network language itself. Otherwise, there is no way for the two machines to communicate, because both consoles need to communicate hardware/firmare I.D.

Once you have matching routers (so you don't have to write the protocol translation software twice) and hacked the firmware I.D. of each console, reverse engineered the language so you know how to pass that along to the console at each end, from there it should be a no-brainer.

what are we waiting for???

Effo_Nienforr_S
First of all IPX is a protocol developed by Novell for Netware version 1.0 - 3.12. IP was introduced with NW 3.2. It was implemented also in Netware 4. (AKA Intranetware) After that, Netware runs IP native. IPX is not used by anything else, except where a vendor wants to be compatible with older versions of Netware. So I can tell you that it is definitely NOT IPX.

Second issue is that the network protocol is more likely dependant on the PS2 hardware than the game itself. Therefor, I'm sure someone nearby knows what protocol THAT is. We really really hope it's running IP, but I'm sure it prolly is not. So the first hurdle is to write a driver that translates (or encapsulates) between IP and the PS2 protocol. This will reside on both routers.

with that done, it should not be that hard to fool the game into thinking the internet is the same as the firewire lan -HOWEVER- this is where the problem starts.

Each machine on the lan is identified by the hardware, given an identifier, (which is probably a hardware ID, aka firmware) and that is passed along to the game, just in order to make a connection in the first place.

Both machines need the same router, same protocol with a static route in the router table. That will give you a router-to-router connection.

The the consoles have to connect. In order to do this, you now not only have to translate between two protocols, but you also have to reverse engineer the PS2 network language itself. Otherwise, there is no way for the two machines to communicate, because both consoles need to communicate hardware/firmare I.D.

Once you have matching routers (so you don't have to write the protocol translation software twice) and hacked the firmware I.D. of each console, reverse engineered the language so you know how to pass that along to the console at each end, from there it should be a no-brainer.

what are we waiting for???

for those who want to participate in this, we should all jump on AIM and talk about it..

GTO_VR4
for those who want to participate in this, we should all jump on AIM and talk about it..

I still have to get my friend to LAN with me to try this out. He's so busy with hockey and I have work. Most people who have talked to me on AIM don't even know what a firewire port is, while I appreciate that they want to help... I think it would be a bit difficult if they don't even know what communication ports we are dealing with...

I'd like to help out over the next couple of days.
I will be on vacation starting Saturday, but if you want to try getting it working in the evening between now and Saturday, let me know. send me a PM or something. I have firewire on my PC, (no external hub), and a 6-4 connector that can connect the PS2 directly to the PC. And I have internet access. I don't have the PS2 network adapter. I don't know if that will be required or not.

~CYD

SSJChar
so... howd it turn out?

Never really got anyone who knew what a firewire port alone was... :-/

But basically, that program comes with about zero instructions on how to work it, and let alone with the firewire setup.

It's a lot easier to fake an ethernet connection than a firewire connection.

Turns out this program will work awesome just like the guy described for the timesplitters setup, since GT4 will be supporting LAN play. This means that we can play GT4 online even though it doesn't "officially" support it.

Back