You guys are going to LOVE this ...

:lol: This subject will never die, will it?

As I said in the Belgium GP thread: When Hamilton slammed into Kimi in Canada, the FIA didn't need to call the drivers to explain why Hamilton was penalized, did they?. Stopping at a red light - THAT'S common sense.

The fact that they felt the need to address the Belgium decision in a meeting of all drivers shows it wasn't as clear as some claim it to be.

As most of the prople do, you forget the third choice, "hard on the brakes,[...]

No 3rd choice, slamming on the brakes goes with his 2nd choice, "crash on the Ferrari"...

You didn't forget it was raining, did you?

No 3rd choice, slamming on the brakes goes with his 2nd choice, "crash on the Ferrari"...

You didn't forget it was raining, did you?
Yes, there was a third choice. And no, I didn't forget that it was raining. Fortunately someone else has done the job easier for me by posting a YouTube clip with fitting commentary.

All the way from "point 1" to "point 6" Hamilton had the choice of lifting off, braking, whatever to fall back without hitting the Ferrari. Räikkönen was turning away from him or running on a parallel line, there would have been no contact. But he decided to keep going, cut the chicane and then blame Räikkönen for everything because "he had no choice". Another case of Ferrari "being favoured" simply because the other side happened to be wrong. I understand that it's racing but that was an impossible move to pull off and he should have realized it. It's not favouring Ferrari to penalize their competitors for doing stupid things that are outlawed by rules.

And to keep with the topic, no matter what happens, it's seemingly Ferrari's fault. They get paid by a third party for not quitting, it's their fault. I'm willing to bet that if they actually left the entire circus it would be Ferrari's fault that F1 is boring because they're no longer in...

All of which is completely moot because Hamilton wasn't penalised for cutting the corner and gaining an advantage, but for leaving the circuit, which every driver at Spa did.

Including Raikonnen at Pouhon on the next lap, when he ran wide on the runoff and gained several car lengths on Hamilton. And at Fagnes when he passed off the track and under waved yellows.

The issue isn't that Hamilton was punished (though at worst it's racing incident and his following conduct was entirely within the rules at the time, unless you want to mention Raikonnen brake-testing him on the way in) - but that no-one else was, despite pretty much every driver breaking the same cited regulation - leaving the track. In the end it was academic to the season.

And to this thread.

Its sad that that incident is becoming a controversial topic even though there was nothing particularly wrong about it and it didn't affect the championship massively, the only reason its become an argument is because of the FIA stewards' decisions to penalise and how harsh they were. This is not exactly like Adelaide '94 or something.
Its cast a dark cloud over what was a great race with a great finish.

Back