You know, having car history back for the first time since GT2 is nice and all...

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1 comments
But I really wish they had put more polish on it. Don't get me wrong: I do like that there is info for every car in the game, which a marked improvement over how it was handled in GT2 (it was fantastic to learn exactly what was up with the weird Gillet Vertigo from GT4). I also really like the information behind the PD one-offs that crossed over from GT4 and GT3. And I know stuff like spelling mistakes and whatnot happen, but some of the errors in the game are rather ridiculous considering how much resources PD had at their disposal. I really doubt, for example, that Mitsubishi locked away the MR nameplate of Galant GTO MR fame until the Evo VIII came out when there is is at least one 3000GT MR in the game. Or that the second generation Eclipse wasn't available with AWD. Plus the whole Chevy Corvette is a truck thing (though that last one is forgivable).

Similarly, I find it rather annoying the sheer amount of errors held over from GT4, and even GT3 in one particular case. Clearly PD is able to obtain large swaths of info for all of these cars, so why couldn't they have corrected some of the in-game stats at any point in the five year development period of the game? I would love to drive a Volvo 240 that doesn't weigh two tons. I would like to actually know how much power a car will have in game when I buy it, particularly when the car history page tells me how much it has in real life (and the fact that this is sometimes held over in the garage page for the car makes it all the more ridiculous). And considering PD themselves created a large portion of the cars that have unlisted power figures when you buy them (Camaro LM, FTO LM, RX-7 LM, etc.), where is the logic in not listing the power figures in the first place? While I will attribute the car history page screw-ups as sheer bad luck, this blank-info stats screen nonsense wore out its welcome 10 years ago when GT2 was doing it.

Last edited:
You have a point there; I also find some of the infos pretty...uh...weird. Some of the infos about JGTC and LMP racing cars for example, also talks about later incarnations of the car in question, which to me is rather pointless since we don't actually have the car being talked about. The wording is sometimes pretty hard to understand (I have to reread a paragraph a few times in some cases). Maybe it's just the translation though. The sheer number of typos are also getting on my nerves. The older Catalogues from GT1/2 are definitely more user-friendly in this respect. But all is well, I'm just happy that we finally got a proper Catalogue back after it went missing from GT3/4.

As for the power rating changing, isn't it well known that PD does it to simulate real-life dealers lying about their car's power figures? Sure it might get annoying at times, but I've learnt to live with it. Plus it's another thing that makes Gran Turismo unique from other racing games. I agree about some cars not having any power figures though, it's just plain silly.

Back