You must think I'm crazy, but...

• Thread starter F310B
  • 7 comments
I want to play the Japanese version of GT4, as well as the UK version. I know I can get all golds in the UK version, but I feel really miffed that I missed out on that S-16 test in the Sauber around Nurburgring. I looked unbelievably fast (in the literal sense), and I feel that I'm missing out on an awesome test of my driving skills by having a test in some DTM car instead. I want to test my skills in the Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car around the greatest track in the world.

I know there are other license tests available in the Japanese version but not the PAL version. You could ask how many golds someone has, they say '80', you can say '87' or something. So to be able to play both versions would be really cool IMO. Plus, I am always finding games that I want to play that get released abroad earlier (MGS3, DW5 etc.) I know it would cost me, but what the hell, you know? I'm gonna be working over the summer anyways.

I'm aware that GT4 requires an actual modchip, and that Swapmagic doesn't work with GT4, DVD9 and all that jazz. So, to those who do have modchips installed in their PS2s, what is your solution?

I found this, it looks interesting. No solder? Seems a little too good to be true, there must be some catch.

http://www.modchipstore.com/Official_DMS4_EZI_DMS_EZI_Lite_Solderless_ModChip_for_Plays-p-16221.html

Any advice?

I bought a Japanese (Asian) PS2 to play my Japanese GT4. Seemed like a good idea at the time as I have a number of Japanese games (used to use Swap Magic).

I am currently awaiting the Korean GT4 as this has a further 4 cars, though the PAL version has more cars in total as the complete Opel "stable" is duplicated (with badge changes) as Vauxhall. I presume it has the Merc 190E DTM in the S16 test.

I believe that all versions of GT4 have 5 x 16 license tests = 80 in total.

I've played the Japanese. game while I was waiting for my Euro. one.
I just flew through the Japanese. licenses with Bronze and I didn't pay them too much attention, so I'm not sure of the differences between the two versions, but they both have 80 tests.

I've got a Japanese. PS2 and I don't know about other solutions to play foreign games.

Yeah it's not so much GT4, it's just there are always great games for the PS2, which come out in Japan first, then USA, the Europe (with quite a long wait). I'm now thinking it would be cool to get a new Japanese PS2 rather than anything else (modchip seems risky and anyway illegal). I have seen them new for around £150.

What other complications would there be with an NTSC-J PS2, would you need some sort of adapter to use it in the UK?

I'm still pissed that my *real* car isn't in the game. The 2005 Toyota Matrix XRS. They have the damn Pontiac Vibe (ick) ... I wanted to pump up my ride without spending the real money :(

Back