Your "Core"...

• Thread starter VIPFREAK
  • 7 comments

VIPFREAK

(Banned)
Hey all,

Well, the new term I guess for the Ab area is your "core" I suppose this is a better term because it refers to your base for controlling the rest of the body. So, you can think of it like the tires on your car. If you have ****ty tires but you have a really powerful engine most likely you won't get very far or be efficent because your essential areas, traction and control is ****ty.

Anyway, I just started getting into Hockey and Biking again. I've been having some back pain (more in biking) but the point is I'm not in shape. I feel part of my problem is my "core" and I need to improve that. Then everything else will be a lot better because the rest of my body won't be trying so hard to make up for a "weak" core. I know there's no "quick" fix but is there an excelerated way I can improve my core?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Go to the gym and work out. You will see some impressive gains very quickly because you are not in shape. Sort of the enhanced n00b gain.
Those who never go to the gym and then start up a training program will experience a tremendous increase in overall strength very rapidly. It's when you've been training for a while that your progress seems to slow.

If you started a routine where you worked out 3 to 4 days a week, you will acheive your "core" strength goals in as little as a couple months, if not sooner.
For now, you're going to have to take it a bit easy so you don't injure yourself. Back problems are the worst. Trust me I know this all to well.

Start off easy and work into it.

ok, good info... I'll be more specific too. I hate gyms because I hate being indoors in there. They smell, it's always hot and honestly I don't think they are worth it. I was however thinking along the lines of something like I have to do the things most people hate like sit ups, leg lifts, and bench pressing. So, with that said things for home or outdoors that I could do? Not sure what else to say? I don't "look" out of shape or "fat", I weigh about 140. I've been that way for ever it seems, but anyway I got more muscle on my legs and arms from biking I suspect? It's literally just my ab area that needs the most work.

Start doing some sit up's and push up's at home.

Get a "Swiss Ball" from a local sporting goods store. Those things can really tear your abs up.

See if there is anywhere at home where you can put up a bar for doing pull up's. Pull ups are great for upper body and back strength.
You can also do leg lifts while just hanging from the bar. Those really target your lower abs.

Do a lot of push ups. This will build upper body strength and if you get to a point where push ups don't seem to be as effective as they once were, you can load up a backpack full of stuff and wear it while you do your push up's.

:scared: Ok, damn you said pretty much everything I dreaded... I think I will need that jym membership so someone can whip my ass to do it.

:lol: I don't know how anyone can eat those. I've never had one, at the moment this loco moco(hawaian food) I had earlier is still doing a number on me... That was a mistake.

'Core' includes a bit more than just your abdominals - it also includes the lower back, and stabliser muscles around your abs.

I swear by this stuff - it's a huge asset when running to be stable and strong there. I do three types of abs exercises, including Swiss Ball, Incline Crunch and Captain's/Roman Chair. I also do lower and upper back, plus obliques.

Back