• Dale Armstrong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (tell wich one)

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Patrik

(Banned)
GTP_Patrik
I guess not too many of you are into drag racing but here it goes anyways.

Bob Glidden (Pro Stock) all the way for me. 10 Winston titles. All of his crew was family (wife Etta and the sons Rusty and Billy) and Bob himself was a mechanic as well. During most of his career he was the only man driving a Ford in all of Pro Stock.

Last edited:
John Force - He won the NHRA Top Fuel Funny Car title for every season between 1990 and 2006, barring 2003 when Tony Pedregon won in John Force's car.

Antron Brown?? I would've actually gone for J.R.Todd. NO ONE has beaten Tony Schumacher more times in the past 5 championships that Tony has won than J.R.Todd. :D

My vote actually goes for the KING of Pro Stock!! No, not WJ, Greg Anderson!! :cool: Who has the records?? Greg. Who has the fastest car?? Greg. If it wasn't for his Round 1 mistakes this year he could've taken that title off Jeg Coughlin.

Looking through the list more closely though Patrik, I see some BIG names missing from your list. People such as:
*TONY SCHUMACHER!! HOW THE HELL CAN YOU LEAVE THE GREATEST TOP FUEL DRIVER EVER OUT?!?!!? :odd::eek::irked: That's like voting for the best cola drink and leaving Coke out of the voting!!
*BOTH PEDREGONS!! How can you leave Tony & Cruz out aswell?!?! :odd:
*Gary Scelzi
*Scott Kalitta (R.I.P)
*Angelle Sampey (most wallys of ANY female competitor!!)

That's just the tip of the iceberg!! ;)

*added bit* Sureshot, maybe JF would've got 2007 if he didn't crash?? :)

Shirley Muldowney,who can't love the first lady of drag racing ?

Besides that I have met her and all of the big name boys of NHRA and IHRA,she is just a sweetheart to talk to.
shirley_muldowney.jpg

My vote actually goes for the KING of Pro Stock!! No, not WJ, Greg Anderson!! :cool: Who has the records?? Greg. Who has the fastest car?? Greg. If it wasn't for his Round 1 mistakes this year he could've taken that title off Jeg Coughlin.

Looking through the list more closely though Patrik, I see some BIG names missing from your list. People such as:
*TONY SCHUMACHER!! HOW THE HELL CAN YOU LEAVE THE GREATEST TOP FUEL DRIVER EVER OUT?!?!!? :odd::eek::irked: That's like voting for the best cola drink and leaving Coke out of the voting!!
*BOTH PEDREGONS!! How can you leave Tony & Cruz out aswell?!?! :odd:
*Gary Scelzi
*Scott Kalitta (R.I.P)
*Angelle Sampey (most wallys of ANY female competitor!!)

That's just the tip of the iceberg!! ;)
Just to let you know. I took the top 10 drivers from NHRA's top 50 list, so don't blame me for leaving some drivers out. Pretty hard to list every single driver.

You may wanna know that none of the drivers you mentioned is listed in NHRA's top 50 drivers list... But maybe you know better than the people at NHRA.

Last edited:
Just to let you know. I took the top 10 drivers from NHRA's top 50 list, so don't blame me for leaving some drivers out. Pretty hard to list every single driver.

You may wanna know that none of the drivers you mentioned is listed in NHRA's top 50 drivers list... But maybe you know better than the people at NHRA.

Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm isn't lost on me Patrik and I don't need that condescending manner of post. And you may want to know that the Top 50 drivers list is compiled of people from the past from the past 50yrs.......let's look at the present. ;)

How about you look at the current NHRA records:
*Tony Schumacher - Quickest run in history (4.428), Fastest run in history (336.15mph), all time wins leader, holds the record for most wins in a season, most round wins in a season, only person to win 5 straight top fuel championships.

*Pedregons - The only people who could beat John Force straight up in the Funny Car class in the past 15yrs. Scelzi won 2007, but Force was out from the crash in Dallas.

*Scott Kalitta - 2 time world champion, his crash and subsequent passing is the reason they race to 1000ft now. Regarded as one of the best drivers around, and when he was here in Australia with the Kalitta crew he was never too far away from the fans.

*Angelle Sampey - The queen of Pro Stock motorcycle. 3 time PSM champion and has the most wins of any female driver in any of the top categories (TF, FC, PS, PSM) of the NHRA.

*Greg Anderson - 3 time champion, 4 time indy winner. Current Pro Stock record holder for ET (6.536), was the round and wins in a season record holder until this year when Tony Schumacher broke those records but still holds the record for Pro Stock itself.

mafia_boy
Sureshot, maybe JF would've got 2007 if he didn't crash??

Very possibly, don't know what the standings were when he had that jaw-dropping crash.

Re: 1000ft and Scott Kalitta

That 1000ft was put in whilst the investigation was taking place into the crash and safety (There is a link to the investigation results in the NHRA thread in this forum.). In Europe it was only introduced to Mantorp Park. The Pod was till running 1/4 mile this season (when it wasn't snowing or raining). I believe they will now go back to the 1/4 mile, as the investigation didn't point fingers at obvious safety flaws.

Your pathetic attempt at sarcasm isn't lost on me Patrik and I don't need that condescending manner of post. And you may want to know that the Top 50 drivers list is compiled of people from the past from the past 50yrs.......let's look at the present. ;)
Yes, they're all great drivers........ But this thread ain't about how great the drivers are, but who your favorite driver is. So instead of complaining about me not including your favorite drivers in the poll you could've only said who they were and why they're favorites in your opinion.

I'm sorry for the lack of current drivers. As I said, it's pretty hard to make the poll contain every single driver in history. Thought it was easy to pick the ones who NHRA listed as the best.

Yes, they're all great drivers........ But this thread ain't about how great the drivers are, but who your favorite driver is. So instead of complaining about me not including your favorite drivers in the poll you could've only said who they were and why they're favorites in your opinion.

I'm sorry for the lack of current drivers. As I said, it's pretty hard to make the poll contain every single driver in history. Thought it was easy to pick the ones who NHRA listed as the best.
Normally the most popular drivers are also the best performing drivers, it's like this in every sport.

Victor.jpg

victor bray.jpg

I chose Victor Bray because he is a great embassador for the sport here in Aus.
He is part of the founding drivers in our "Wild Bunch" catergory.

In Australia my Favourite Drag Racer is Ben Bray(son of Victor).
In America my Favourites are any of the NHRA drivers that decide to come to WSID in Sydney, Australia every year around christmas. Such as Hilary Will, Mike Dunn, Cory Mcclenathan, David Grubnic, and Scott Kalitta(R.I.P)

And my vote went in the 'others' category, for Greg Anderson and explained why in my first post. :) I realise that you were taking it from the Top 50 list and it IS a glamourous list, showing all the pioneers of the drag racing industry. 👍 Bob Glidden as you said is the most prolific PS driver in history but at the same time I look at Warren Johnson's effort's which are just as prolific, his son Kurt, Jeg Coughlin Sr. & Jr., etc.
But even after all those records Bob Glidden set, Greg Anderson in his first two years on his own after being Warren Johnson's crew chief beforehand broke every record that was standing in Pro Stock and still holds them all, has for four years straight, that's an impressive achievement in itself.

Patrik
I understand that philosiphy and I wasn't requesting every driver in history, but history does change and it has changed heaps in the past couple of years on the NHRA circuit. I'm sorry if I sounded abrupt or angry to you Patrik, I was just trying to figure out why some of those people who have created that history recently (especially Tony Schumacher) weren't included at the time. :confused:

All Time:

Don Garlits-While I've never seen him drag race in his prime, I really admire this guy. I have his documentary done by Main Event entertainment (best auto racing videography company IMO) called "Close Calls", I recommend it to anyone who is into the history of drag racing.

John Force- 2nd all-time winningest Driver in American Auto racing..... and represents Ford well [/flag waving]

Gary Scelzi- Great driver and person

Tony Schumacher- He's been a favorite of mine since I started watching Drag racing at the age of 5.

J.R. Todd & Antron Brown-
both awsome young drivers...

Angelle Sampey & Shirley Muldowney-
Once again amazing drivers who where "pioneers"

Latest Posts

Back