• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 6 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Being crazy about cars has its own origins. So does motorcycles. And in this thread, I'd like for you all to share what has made you get interested in motorcycles. You may chat about going from bicycles to motorcycles, riding a sport bike or a motard, or anything like that.

People, my curiousity and enthusiasm for motorcycles helped fuel my efforts to bring this motorcycle thread apart. It somewhat began with "Tourist Trophy." Often times, I've seen motorcycles featured on the floors of the Houston Auto Show. I've mostly seen BMW motorcycles and even seen some pictures taken on them. Those of you who visit my Myspace page know my profile picture (as of the date of this post) is me on a Suzuki Hayabusa. Just the feeling of being on a well-loved and well-respected motorcycle really fueled me as my young stepbrother flashed that picture of me on the 'Busa. Albeit a bit blurry (I did some editing before posting online), it didn't blur my interest in motorcycles. Sport bikes were always the kinds of motorcycles I've loved. I do love watching a chopper cruise down the street on the weekends. However, I don't really see myself owning and loving cruisers more than a superbike. Being on that Hayabusa (to me) was like being in a hot Ferrari. And since then, my curiousity has grown exponentially. Now, this car guy has a soft spot for motorcycles about as much as the coolest car or truck. There are a lot of car fans that don't really care or connect with motorcycles much. I find them very fun.

My knowledge of motorcycles is ever increasing. That's why most of my threads are not about extremely technical stuff. I even watch some YouTube videos about certain motorcycles. Bikes I've seen in online videos include the Buell 1125R, Ducati 1098S, Yamaha FJR1300, and of course the Suzuki Hayabusa. I've learned of newer companies to me like Hyosung, Benelli, Moto Guzzi, and more. I bring myself to try to learn things. It was all this that led me to be curious about motorcycles and praise motorcycles aside from my car praise.

That's my motorcycle story. How did you get into motorcycles?

My dad always had one when I was growing up, then I got into dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and that progressed into sport bikes. Took a superbike school to better my skills and although I dont race I have the qualifications to ride on any track now. Been to a few trackdays here and there. Love bikes and always will.

You learn any way you can. Gran Turismo helped me to better appreciate cars; Tourist Trophy helped me to better appreciate motorcycles. You learn any way you can.

Back in the early 90s my bro had ninja 600. He took me around the block and I was holding on for dear life. It was very fun, Ive always thought motorcycles were cool because it's different from cars and such, also many people say you must have some big "cojones" because of the way south florida drivers are. Last year my friend let me take his CBR around the block and I was in shock how different it was from driving my car. even around the block where I've been around hundreds of times, it's hard to explain but it was amazing. after that I decided to get my license and eventually got one. Hardest thing was telling my mom who works for Jackson Memorial Hospital (largest in S. florida) about me wanting to own one. she was really heart broken and dissapointed at me but it's something I wanted to do.

When I was young I rode with my uncle on his motorcycle a couple times, but it was just kinda neat, not exactly striking in a "ooh I gotta do this when I'm older!" sort of way. Over the years, I merely saw motorcycles as an alternative to cars; though I had respect for them, I really had no interest in them. This continued even after I really got into cars, learned how they worked, and began to play almost nothing but racing sims/games. My best friend and I would occasionally rent a MotoGP game or something, but those have always been pretty boring. Midnight Club's motorcycles were more interesting to use, but were almost pointless next to the cars.

Then, Tourist Trophy came along, and did for bike racing games what Gran Turismo did for car racing games -- it combined a reasonably believable physics engine with all sorts of street bikes that the everyday person could actually ride. No more picking from a small handful of racing-spec bikes, no more outlandish physics-defying feats, just the pleasure of riding.

I was instantly hooked, and decided that I had to experience riding for myself. So I did some research, then took the MSF course, got my license, and bought my Ninja within the span of a few days.

One of the best impulse decisions I've ever made.

Back