• 24 comments

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
This is totally not influenced by my writing of a similar topic for an upcoming article...

;)

If you're a member here on GTPlanet, it's a pretty safe assumption that you have (or had) an interest in sim racing. That's cool — it was a fantastic year for it, possibly one of the best in a long time — but the fun thing about this genre we love so much is that it's just one serviced by those little boxes we plug into our TVs. Or monitors, for you PC folks.

Gaming is so big now that it's hard to keep track of everything. I know; even keeping an eye on racing games is a lot of work. With 2017 done and dusted, I wanted to hear from everyone else what were the highlights (and lowlights) of their year in gaming? What games surprised you? What games do you see yourself cherishing and sharing with others a decade on? Maybe there was a standout feature in a game that really impressed you, too.

There's no specific structure I'm looking for, so get creative. Though, if @glassjaw wants to make an impassioned post about Zelda being his GOTY, I'm all for it (not least because I still need some convincing to pick up a Switch :P ).

I haven't played a lot of the games that are dominating general-gaming site GOTY lists, but the one that's stuck with me all year is Cuphead. I'll readily admit it isn't an overall contender, as it's just too small and isn't very innovative. But what it does, it does insanely well. As someone who grew up with animation dreams, it's mind-blowing to see something this beautiful also be interactive, and to think of the amount of work involved is just a little scary. It's also a very polished game. It reminds me so much of the old 8- and 16-bit days, when a dev had no choice but to release a fully finished product or risk ruin.

It got a ton of hate this year — justifiably, in terms of those lootboxes — but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Star Wars Battlefront II. Buried under all the controversy is a good game. It feels so authentic in terms of visuals and sounds that it's hard not to get sucked in if you're even a mild Star Wars fan. At first, I didn't like the four-class system, missing the freedom to craft your own bizarre hybrid in the first, but it's actually made me experiment with them, instead of grabbing a handful of upgrades I assumed were the OP ones. The major issue I have with the game is one that's at least addressed in the next title...

Ah, Gran Turismo Sport. I couldn't not mention it, really. It isn't what I first liked about the franchise — the esport thing, while enjoyable, just isn't my bag as much as the original concept — but I find myself playing it more than I expected, which says something. It and SWB2 feel similar in that way: I like just hopping in and not really worrying about winning, so long as I have a close match/race. The difference here is the DR/SR system actually makes that possible in GT. Every once in a while, I load up SWB2 only to see an absolute blowout. Every game should have more detailed matchmaking algorithms.

That includes Forza Motorsport 7. So much of this game is what I wished GT4 would be in 2017; it has an unmatched car roster, and offers you the ability to do so much with them. It's fun, and it doesn't take itself too seriously, but is still realistic enough for most people (arguably too much so, scarily enough). But racing online is such a crap shoot. I'm not a huge fan of the game being built around the new homologation system either; I don't mind it for the offline championships, but to essentially kill off class-based Rivals was a wrong move, IMO. It's a solid game — a great game — but in terms of its impact, I'm not convinced its a better title than what FM6 was in 2015.

The same goes for Project CARS 2. It does so many things right, that it's frustrating there's no (better) matchmaking system. It'd also help if the game didn't launch with a laundry list of glitches, minor and major. The latest update has fixed a fair amount, and that's great. I don't even care if the graphics aren't as good as either of the other racing games — the living circuits are what the big draw is here. Plus, the CSL Elite support seems to have been fixed too!

There are other games I played this year, but as I looked through my library, it turns out most I enjoyed aren't actually from this year. Whoops.

With 2017 done and dusted, I wanted to hear from everyone else what were the highlights (and lowlights) of their year in gaming? What games surprised you? What games do you see yourself cherishing and sharing with others a decade on? Maybe there was a standout feature in a game that really impressed you, too.
First of all, i switched between three videocards(RX470-GTX660-GTX1070Ti) and bought an second hand XboxOne(trying to sell it right now :lol: Odd times if you asked me :boggled:

Eh, games. Ok. PUBG. Around 400h of adrenaline, bugs, low fps, crappy visuals and broken promises. Generated 120$ in my Steam wallet. Still my personal GOTY.

Forza Motorsport 6. I know that i little bit late to the party, but this game amazing. Never was a fan of simracing(and i playing arcade racers mostly) but this game(in fact, FM6A) opened this genre for me. The worst part is that i tried FM6Apex before and somehow its better :lol:

Forza Horizon 2 and Horizon. Cant say which Horizon is best. First one had best progression system, second one best map and third best handing. Really hope that fourth installment will be best in all terms.

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and Prey. Wolfenstein II, best narrative, worst gameplay in series. Prey is amazing, but something in it just isnt right. Still, this two are GOTY in singleplayer for me.
Witcher 3. 300 hours and i still trying to beat it :lol: Great game, amazing DLCs. Mods greatly improve experience. Somehow, Witcher 2 is better :banghead:

Unbeaten - Deus Ex Mankind Divided, NFS Payback, Tom Clancy's The Division, Legend of Zelda BotW. All descent, but far from perfect.

Disappointment of 2017 - GR:Wildlands. Another example of how openworld can kill descent game.

Most wanted 2018 - FHorizon 4, Crew 2, next Battlefield,Escape from Tarkov, first AAA battleroyal game :lol: Still hoping for RDR2 PC and Cyberpunk 2077 in 2018.

p.s The Crew 2 Alpha was such a blast. This will be descent competitor for GOTY 2018 👍

not least because I still need some convincing to pick up a Switch
CEMU

Last edited:
Just a quick rating and sentence for each of the major games I've played in 2017. (I've played more but these are the ones I remember) :)

Also some weren't released this year so hopefully that's not a problem :P

Assassin's Creed Origins - 9/10 Loved every minute.

GT Sport - 7/10 Good game, Got bored quite quickly though.

NFS Payback - 7/10 Thoroughly enjoyed it, The terrible upgrade system and recent addition of Jake Paul stops this going any higher though.

Battlefield 1 - 8/10 Played a lot when first released. Not so much recently but getting the urge once again.

FIFA 18 - 8/10 Good improvement over last years, Appreciated the slight additions to career mode.

F1 2017 - 8/10 Great game, Best F1 game ever by some margin.

Forza Horizon 3 - 9/10 A masterpiece, So much to do and so many cars to mess around with. Just a huge beautiful automotive playground.

Forza 7 - 9/10 First Forza Motorsport game since 4 and loving it. Great car list and track selection.

Rocket League - 9/10 Still play this regularly 3 years on, Still enjoying it. Maybe time for a new major feature or mode soon though, The community made volleyball mod hopefully could be the basis of something.

Destiny 2 - 7/10 Going along with the popular opinion I got bored with this rather quickly, Surprising considering I put so much time into D1.

Fallout 4 - 8/10 Still playing this off and on. Great game.

COD MW Remastered - 7/10 waited patiently for this to become standalone, Enjoyed it for a while, Battlefield will always outshine COD in my opinion however.

Loads of games i purchased but never got round to playing include - Dishonored 2, Rise Of The Tombraider, Doom, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and countless more.

In the new year I'm looking forward to Farcry 5, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, BF 2018, and whatever else that's coming out :)

Last edited:
2017 has been a pretty fantastic year for gaming in general. On the racing side of things, we've been spoiled with a slew of great (if not a bit safe) racing games. I don't think any of them 'stand out' enough to stand shoulders above the others. PCARS 2 has the most interesting content and feature set, GT Sport actually made me care about online racing and FM7 brought the Car RPG goodness I'm missing from the newest GT game.

By far, the most noteworthy release from myself as a rally-head is WRC 7. I thought the series was dead with each title just being so mediocre, it wasn't really worth my time. Then, this year's entry turned that on its head. Incredible stage design and a physics engine that could pave the way for something even better? I'm interested, let's see what KT games can do.

On the hardware side of things, the Nintendo Switch became a bit of a behemoth and rightfully so. The most interesting piece of hardware to come out since the original PSP and an absolute joy to use as well. Its become my defacto platform of choice purely because of its usability. If Devs put the effort in and make a decent port (like LA Noire, for example), it's my go-to. I'm getting past the idea of ultra HD graphics for EVERYTHING the older I get. I just want something that encourages me to play the game rather than make it feel like an effort to sit in front of the TV and seclude myself from the rest of the house. I've never really liked doing that in the first place, one of the reasons I've always liked handheld consoles, too. If it's not something racing, it's perfect for playing on a smaller screen as far as I'm concerned.

This brings me onto the GOTY for 2018. I just cannot see past the Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. I'm not a Zelda fan by any stretch but never have I played an open world game so intricately created, so expertly crafted with physics and world building taken into an account, that immediately garnered all my interest.
I remember playing it on the big screen and being amazed, then literally 30 seconds later taking it outside to the back garden to take in the one day of Scottish summer whilst I fend off Ganon. It'll stick with me for a long time and whilst there were some other great titles this year - Zelda just flexes a more deserving tone than anything else. There will also be another Odyssey or Horizon Zero Dawn - I just don't see there ever being another BOTW for my own experience.

Runners up:

2nd: Everybody's Golf
3rd: Sonic Mania

Roll on 2018!

I didn't play many games this year unfortunately, but I've had a lot of fun in the few I've chosen to spend my time with.

Most played over the year goes to League of Legends. Not a fan favorite I've heard but I get a lot enjoyment through it. Early in the year I was bedridden, unable to go anywhere so I would bunker down with my laptop and played many hours in Ranked game modes. Achieved what I wanted and couldn't be happier about my goals in it. Or maybe I'm trying to justify the many dollars I've thrown at it? :lol:

Like anyone, I picked up PUBG. "Solid" game I've also gotten some hours in. Can't say I like this one as a solo player, most of my playtime is with friends where it makes it all the better. Although we don't always agree on some calls! :P I just wish it ran better, it can be a real strain on my computer.

GT Sport! This one I've used for my racing fix. Very late in the year as I didn't really play anything else in the genre over the year. Despite the uproar of others, this new vision of the series is almost exactly what I wanted in a racing game. I love the Sport mode with the vast Gr.4 and Gr.3 classes (even if you only see a few), I just wish there were classic car classes! And maybe some favorite tracks too...

A few others I've enjoyed but didn't play too much includes Tekken 7 and DOOM. Very pretty games, DOOM will get the Game of the Year from me. Haven't gotten anywhere in them though but I'll get back to it eventually! No really! Ignore that backlog over there.

On a sad note, I had fallen for a mobile game. How could I? I always felt they were stupid Nd not worthwhile games. So here I am grinding and grinding away at Fate/Grand Order. Love it the death. No clue why. Also kinda maybe threw some money at this.

Not a big year in gaming, even though I probably have thrown more hours into gaming than I did last year.

I hope the new year throws good VR content at us. Something i really want to get into but can't find much I like. Eagerly awaiting for the new Ace Combat for example.

Typing on mobile has created a lot autocorrecting not actually doing its job, very annoying.

2017 was a crazy phenomenal year for gaming for me, a boon of exceptional titles and some new favorites.

8. Dirt 4 -- Though hampered by Codemasters' typical woolly handling and a lack of post-release support, this is still my new favorite rally game thanks to its thrilling hardcore nature and the Your Stage feature. Nothing has ever felt so much like a proper rally experience; not knowing what lies just out of sight ahead, stage after stage, sometimes while limping a battered car through one or two full stages to the next repair stop. The build-a-team career mode is also nice; I'm glad to see it return after the Grid games dropped the idea.

7. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment -- The second expansion to my GOTY of 2014, and together with Breath of the Wild, a last hurrah for my humble Wii U. It rivals the original game, and seems inspired by the NES Ninja Gaiden games this time. It's slick and satisfying to play (Ninja-like), backed by neat baroque-music-styled themes and divergent remixes, and its addition to the story is almost as touching as the original part, now called Shovel of Hope.

6. Spintires: Mudrunner -- Spintires is a one-of-a-kind simulator that is difficult to explain to most people. There are few gaming experiences I've had as tense as struggling against the forces of nature at near-zero speeds, with a river rushing over the hood, gravity threatening to tip your truck in a remote spot, or soft topsoil waiting to snare your 2WD pickup so badly that you have to use a crane to claw yourself out, leaving you with barely enough fuel to pull into the nearest garage on fumes. It's a puzzle game with old Russian trucks and realistic physics.

5. Splatoon 2 -- A second chance for a clever concept that really hit its mark this time, resolving its predecessor's shortcomings. The multiplayer is better balanced, mutual lag-splats are far less frequent, the singleplayer campaign now has worthwhile replay value, and Salmon Run offers readily available (half of the time) cooperative play and is a cute spin on a zombie mode. As someone with fine reflexes but slow aim, I enjoy ambushing opponents with the ink roller like a squid-kid swordsman. This is a multiplayer shooter for me.

4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- Count me as one who doesn't think this is quite a 10/10, but it can't not be on this list. Breathtaking, immersive, revolutionary, all that stuff that's been said already...all I really didn't like was the lack of "proper" dungeons and the sorta-diluted combat. I hope Nintendo builds upon this foundation, because the so-called Chemistry Engine is ahead of its time. I don't know how many times I found myself overlooking simple solutions because they were things videogames have just never allowed you to do.

3. Super Mario Odyssey -- An unforgettable trip with exquisitely fine-tuned platforming. I only wish there was more platforming. The freedom to explore is great, but I expected more obstacles or enemies in some places, and maybe larger levels. Still, it offers more than plenty of memorable moments, a memorable soundtrack, and quite a bit of stuff to do and see. In its best moments, it's top-notch. If nothing else, this game's spunky character encapsulates Nintendo's incredible renewed vigor this year.

2. Project CARS 2 -- Everyone knows its launch was a repeat embarrassment, but I was still happy because the physics turned out much better than expected. By now it is shaping into a contender for all-time best racing game in my book. It's tough for anything to measure up to its combination of great physics, content, details, and features, and I think it's a great-looking game too. If SMS can iron out most of the remaining kinks, I don't think I'll need another sim until after PCARS3 has been patched up.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -- Amazingly, Monolith Soft topped all of the above with what could be my new #1 favorite RPG. I love every major critical aspect of this game. I love the combat, a slick combination of familiar RPG strategy and timed inputs. I love every character in your party. I love the story, the writing, the world and various areas, the art direction, and the soundtrack. I love how it doesn't try to be a "modern" or "westernized" game and is so much better for it. I expected it to be great, and it blew me away. It's like it was made just for me.

Plus, I gotta concur with @Brend on the Switch, though I'm the opposite kind of user, playing with the console docked almost all the time. I've never been able to get myself into handheld gaming, reserving it for special circumstances, but the portability is nice for bringing the whole thing along to be docked somewhere else. It's a device for both of us. :)

2017 was a crazy phenomenal year for gaming for me, a boon of exceptional titles and some new favorites.

8. Dirt 4 -- Though hampered by Codemasters' typical woolly handling and a lack of post-release support, this is still my new favorite rally game thanks to its thrilling hardcore nature and the Your Stage feature. Nothing has ever felt so much like a proper rally experience; not knowing what lies just out of sight ahead, stage after stage, sometimes while limping a battered car through one or two full stages to the next repair stop. The build-a-team career mode is also nice; I'm glad to see it return after the Grid games dropped the idea.

7. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment -- The second expansion to my GOTY of 2014, and together with Breath of the Wild, a last hurrah for my humble Wii U. It rivals the original game, and seems inspired by the NES Ninja Gaiden games this time. It's slick and satisfying to play (Ninja-like), backed by neat baroque-music-styled themes and divergent remixes, and its addition to the story is almost as touching as the original part, now called Shovel of Hope.

6. Spintires: Mudrunner -- Spintires is a one-of-a-kind simulator that is difficult to explain to most people. There are few gaming experiences I've had as tense as struggling against the forces of nature at near-zero speeds, with a river rushing over the hood, gravity threatening to tip your truck in a remote spot, or soft topsoil waiting to snare your 2WD pickup so badly that you have to use a crane to claw yourself out, leaving you with barely enough fuel to pull into the nearest garage on fumes. It's a puzzle game with old Russian trucks and realistic physics.

5. Splatoon 2 -- A second chance for a clever concept that really hit its mark this time, resolving its predecessor's shortcomings. The multiplayer is better balanced, mutual lag-splats are far less frequent, the singleplayer campaign now has worthwhile replay value, and Salmon Run offers readily available (half of the time) cooperative play and is a cute spin on a zombie mode. As someone with fine reflexes but slow aim, I enjoy ambushing opponents with the ink roller like a squid-kid swordsman. This is a multiplayer shooter for me.

4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- Count me as one who doesn't think this is quite a 10/10, but it can't not be on this list. Breathtaking, immersive, revolutionary, all that stuff that's been said already...all I really didn't like was the lack of "proper" dungeons and the sorta-diluted combat. I hope Nintendo builds upon this foundation, because the so-called Chemistry Engine is ahead of its time. I don't know how many times I found myself overlooking simple solutions because they were things videogames have just never allowed you to do.

3. Super Mario Odyssey -- An unforgettable trip with exquisitely fine-tuned platforming. I only wish there was more platforming. The freedom to explore is great, but I expected more obstacles or enemies in some places, and maybe larger levels. Still, it offers more than plenty of memorable moments, a memorable soundtrack, and quite a bit of stuff to do and see. In its best moments, it's top-notch. If nothing else, this game's spunky character encapsulates Nintendo's incredible renewed vigor this year.

2. Project CARS 2 -- Everyone knows its launch was a repeat embarrassment, but I was still happy because the physics turned out much better than expected. By now it is shaping into a contender for all-time best racing game in my book. It's tough for anything to measure up to its combination of great physics, content, details, and features, and I think it's a great-looking game too. If SMS can iron out most of the remaining kinks, I don't think I'll need another sim until after PCARS3 has been patched up.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -- Amazingly, Monolith Soft topped all of the above with what could be my new #1 favorite RPG. I love every major critical aspect of this game. I love the combat, a slick combination of familiar RPG strategy and timed inputs. I love every character in your party. I love the story, the writing, the world and various areas, the art direction, and the soundtrack. I love how it doesn't try to be a "modern" or "westernized" game and is so much better for it. I expected it to be great, and it blew me away. It's like it was made just for me.

Plus, I gotta concur with @Brend on the Switch, though I'm the opposite kind of user, playing with the console docked almost all the time. I've never been able to get myself into handheld gaming, reserving it for special circumstances, but the portability is nice for bringing the whole thing along to be docked somewhere else. It's a device for both of us. :)
Can't wait to play Xeno 2 but I held off to finish LA Noire and Doom first. Want to dedicate all my free time to it. :D

What an interesting thread, I dig it.

The Witcher I started this game in 2016, but finished it in the end of January this year. A very flawed game as it is the first game CD Projekt red made. Ambitious nonetheless and after Getting past the slog of act II and III I had a good time playing. And on reflection I can really respect what they tried to do with this game, even if it fell short in certain aspects.

The Witcher 2 Started this right after finishing the first game. Everything is far more polished than the first game and it looks great for its age. I enjoyed playing it, but it's almost like an inverse of the first witcher to me. That one was kind of a slog to play, but rewarding once you finish, this one just feels a little shallow. It doesn't have the issues the first game has, but it's also missing some of the small quirks that made that one special. Probably my least favourite game of the series.

The Witcher 3 I've already finished this game once when it came out and it's outstanding. Hands down my favourite RPG and when both the expansions were available for a discount I bought them and decided I want to try this crazy idea of finishing all three games one after another. Everything is polished to the maximum and the game has personality again, like the first game. I'm actually still playing this as I've yet to finish the second expansion.

Rocket League It's been many many hours of playing this game since it's release in 2015 and while I've stopped playing the game as much as I used to, I still play it every now and then. Looks like I won't hit 2000 hours played by the end of this year. Extremely addictive game that's fun to play for both new and experienced players.

RimWorld Excellent management game where you try and survive against all odds with a few starting colonists on a remote planet. Extremely punishing, but fun to play.

Cuphead A complete surprise for me as I've never played this kind of game before, but I instantly fell in love with it. Completed it in a few days and I still wasn't done as this game kickstarted my new speedrunning hobby. I agree it's not very innovative on the gameplay front, however the art style surely is. There aren't any other games with a cartoon inspired art style polished to this level. It works extremely well and gives the game so much charm.

Getting Over It Anyone that knows of this game is probably rolling their eyes right now as to most it probably appears to be a mere joke game. However I have 4000 attempts at the game and around 150 completions. If Cuphead kickstarted my speedrunning hobby this is the game that drives it. Shortly after beating the game for the first time I started doing runs and I'm now 4th on the leaderboard for it on speedrun.com
I can't explain what it is about the game, but somehow the controls have enough depth to keep you playing if you're the right type of person.
And for what it's worth I recommend it even to people that just want to finish it once. Get ready to get angry at it though.

Last edited:
I didn't play any major 2017 games, but there's one event that sticks out to me:

Star Wars Battlefront II (should be IV) and its loot box meltdown and EA's post pertaining to the matter: "The intent is to provide a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes." I can't even say it aloud with a straight face.

Star Wars Battlefront II (should be IV) and its loot box meltdown
Exaggerated

Everything is polished to the maximum
Nah. Economics, loot and craft,alchemy, RP-system, choice and consequence, all this RPG staff are ruined. Slightly better in addons. But writings and level design make it so cool. Dont count W3 as RPG, more like action adventure for me. Death march player here.

I've bought very few games this year and the last month has been exclusively PS4, but apart from FIFA 18 and GTS, I haven't got another 2017 title.

FIFA 18 - at long last, they have learnt how to jockey against opposition players, so you now have a physical chance of keeping the ball in 50/50 situations. This and the highly improved pass and move gameplay makes it the best FIFA experience I've had since I switched to FIFA 14.

GT Sport - in many ways I think of it as the Gran Turismo version of Tourist Trophy; a condensed experience but leaving you with the essential elements of a good sim and a good game at the same time. Given how much I adore Polyphony's bike game, that's very high praise indeed. After being very much a Forza lover who happened to play Gran Turismo too, I haven't even bothered to buy Forza 7. It just sounds like a letdown after 6 and bloated compared to GTS.

Xbox One

Spintires: Mudrunner - Slow, methodical, completely at odds with traditional videogaming yet just so cathartic. The physics had me in awe, the small details such as oil slicks on water were impressive. For a small developer and relatively small experience, it holds the attention very well.

Last edited:
I kinda took a more laid back approach to gaming this year for a varying number of reasons, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the games that I have played during 2017.

I've never spent so many hours doing nothing but admire the scenery as much as I have done in Horizon: Zero Dawn. Its vast, deadly yet simply gorgeous world practically screams exploration. Throw in a compelling story and an engaging heroine in the form of Aloy, and while there were 1 or 2 minor grievances, they were totally overshadowed by everything else this game had to offer. :cool:

F1 2017 ended up being the only real turn I took into the racing sector, but it ended up being all I needed. The 2013 edition was my last venture into the digital world of F1, so this was my first on-track exposure to the turbocharged hybrid era. I wasn't expecting much at all judging by my somewhat very short-lived experience with F1 2013, but straight away it didn't feel like I was treading on egg shells: the 2017 cars can be pushed much harder than before, and the expanded R&D system was far more in-depth than I had accounted for, but I soon got the hang of it. And when I was in the thick of it, fighting for pole positions and for outright victory, it was a revelation. Great job Codemasters, but please do something about those character models. :scared:

Although I didn't played it, Cuphead was a real surprise as well. It didn't break the mould by any stretch, but the passion and attention to detail given to this game is evident in every pixel on screen, and applause should be rightfully given to its creators. :cheers:

Much like Cuphead, the passion and attention to detail is evident throughout Sonic Mania. What a blast from the past that turned out to be! Damn that Studiopolis Zone Act 1 theme is catchy. Big thumbs up to the developers. 👍

Have to say though the biggest surprise for me in 2017 was the Nintendo Switch. As someone who wasn't originally sold by the idea, having owned one now for the past couple of months has completely flipped that opinion. Playing Zelda: BotW has been something of a stepping stone for me: this is the first time I've ever played a game from the Zelda series. But it was a stepping stone that has led to a whole new admiration for the series at large, and an adventure I'm still enjoying today. As for Super Mario Odyssey... every time I think back to my play through that big, dumb grin appears again. :D It was an absolute pleasure to play, and I tip my hat to it and to Nintendo (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Exaggerated
I don't think Belgium and numerous other countries would investigate loot boxes as possibly gambling if it weren't for the Star Wars incident. While there were other games that caused controversy over loot boxes, the Star Wars case takes the cake. It helps that the phrase I quoted is part of a Reddit post with more than 670 thousand downvotes, which obliterated the previous record.

I don't think Belgium and numerous other countries would investigate loot boxes as possibly gambling if it weren't for the Star Wars incident. While there were other games that caused controversy over loot boxes, the Star Wars case takes the cake. It helps that the phrase I quoted is part of a Reddit post with more than 670 thousand downvotes, which obliterated the previous record.
I played the game and it wasnt more grindy or pay-to-win than BF4, for example. Hell, BF4 was even more pay-to-win, cause it lock some weapons and gadgets behind paywall and SWBF2 doesnt(free DLCs, you know). I am not ok with microtransactions in 60$ games with DLC(Shadow of War and Origins), and dont think that DLCs with maps is a good way for Battlefield or Battlefront because of cutting playerbase. And they dont want to make DLCs for free, which means we need to chose something. So, if you asked me, I chose microtransactions with free DLCs.

Last edited:
I didn't play that much at the beginning of 2017 but closer towards the end I built my first own pc and got into quite a few games.

Top 5 games I enjoyed the most this year.

5. Borderlands 2: I used to say I enjoyed the first one more but after putting more hours into it I ended up liking it more than the first one.

4. GT Sport: I don't enjoy sim racing games that much anymore cause they've gotten pretty stale for me but GT just always seems to impress me.

3. Rocket League: Even though I'm not that great at the game I do enjoy playing it from time to time.

2. Life is Strange: It's easily one of my favorite stories I've ever seen in general. I didn't expect to even like it but after playing the first free episode I had to buy the full game.

1. The Witcher 3: Definitely the best game that I played all year! I finished the main story for it but I still have so much more to do.

Played a lot of games this year but one of the stand outs for me:

Prey: great game but eventually I didn’t want to continue. 7/10

Doom: It came out in 2016 but I got it dirt cheap and loved every second of it. This game is so fast paced!

Tekken 7: A bit of a stripped down Tekken in term of game modes, but the roster and the fighting is so incredible solid. Dlc was a joke though. 8/10

F1 2017: The best F1 game in more than a decade. This game is fantastic in every way. Great visuals, great sense of speed and a great sturdy carreer mode. 9/10

Gt Sport: finally a gt game on the ps4! Quite different than the previous iterations though. With my new 4k television it looks incredible. Unmatched by anything. But online racing has it’s downfalls, like collisions and infair racing. But hey, it is GT and we have a livery editor! 9/10

Bloodborne: finally finished it this year and I’m still hooked. I cannot believe how good this game is. Now I’m deep in the chalice dungeons and am loving every second of ng+. I still think this is the best exclusive on the ps4. 10/10

Probably my favorite game this year is Ylands. For those who don't know what it is, think of it as a third-person Minecraft with a better crafting system and boats. I had an early release of it, which was pretty meh, but once it hit early access on Steam it really took off for me. I think currently I have 50+ hours on it.

Another game I played far too much of was Revhead. It's a car building/racing game based on early 90's Australia. The handling is strange but there's a ton of customization and ways to build your car. It's still in early access to buy it gets a steady stream of updates.

Past that I played the hell out of my old standbys of Crusader Kings II, Empyrion - Galatic Survival, Automation, and the truck simulator games.

Also, I didn't find Mass Effect: Andromeda to be as bad as most people thought, but I'm a huge Mass Effect nerd so my outlook on it is biased.

This won't be a complete list of games I played in 2017, only the games that I beat in 2017.

Kicked the year off with Yakuza 0, which was my entry point into the Yakuza franchise. It was an absolute blast, to say the least. I haven't jumped into the rest of the franchise yet, but I'm very eager to.

Next up, I finally got around to playing Majora's Mask 3D while waiting for the Switch and Breath of the Wild to launch. An excellent and fascinating game all around, and I can definitely see why some people hold it in such high regard. I would personally rank it as more-or-less equal to Ocarina of Time.

Then... Breath of the Wild. Simply astonishing, definitely warrants all the praise.

I've played through Turok 2: Seeds of Evil many times on N64, though only with heavy reliance on cheats... but thanks to Nightdive's PC remaster that released this year, I was finally able to beat this monster fair and square. Smooth 60 FPS and keyboard+mouse controls instead of 20-ish FPS and an octopus controller with only a single thumbstick? Yeah, it kinda makes a difference. :lol:

Followed that up with Human Resource Machine and Little Inferno by the Tomorrow Corporation. HRM is effectively a puzzle game designed around a drag-and-drop implementation of pseudo-assembly programming, and is short but reasonably challenging. Little Inferno is, frankly, a bit of a time waster... but it was charming fun all the same.

A little late, but Persona 5 finally landed stateside. And it is glorious, even if the localization is a bit rough. Atlus USA's localization team is usually great and their efforts with P5 were valiant, but the game is a 100+ hour behemoth that is extremely dialog heavy... they perhaps bit off more than they could chew. Hopefully the great sales of P5 will help enable Atlus USA to allocate more resources to their next big localization project.

Then one day I randomly decided to plow through the original Castlevania. Pretty cool little game. This is the first Castlevania I've beaten, but hopefully not the last... it would've kicked my ass if it weren't for save states though.

Next, Nier Automata. Big surprise I played this one, right? (*cough*avatar*cough*) Anyway, it's got it all: Great combat, great soundtrack, great story, great aesthetic, great rule 34...

I've been a long-time casual Shantae admirer, but Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is the first Shantae game that I actually completed. I found it to be excellent, even if a lot of more hardcore fans of the series insist it's not as good as the previous entry.

I also tore through the entire Zero Escape series (Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma) this year, in relatively short order... all great in their own way, but Virtue's Last Reward stood out as the best of the bunch.

Emily is Away is a thing I played this year. Not a whole lot to say about it... neat aesthetic, kinda lackluster in the story dept.

Like Majora's Mask, I played Half-Life 2 this year in preparation for the hotly anticipated sequel. Not strictly my first time, I played the original Xbox port up to Ravenholm back in the day... and I saw bits and pieces of the rest of my game as my brother played it to completion. But this was the first time I played it from start to finish myself, and man... what a game. It absolutely still holds up today.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was up next, and this game was just what the doctor ordered. It scratched my Fire Emblem itch in a way that 2016's Fire Emblem Fates did not... and to be completely honest, I think Shadows of Valentia just might be my new favorite Fire Emblem.

Wrapped up Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain finally. Excellent game, not-so-excellent ending... but after putting 100+ amazing hours into the PS4 and PC versions each, I'm glad to have officially beaten MGSV all the same.

Made some time for Parasite Eve, a great game I've been meaning to play through for the longest time. Excellent RPG with an entertaining story and a refreshingly grounded modern-day setting.

Mario Odyssey was simply sublime. I felt like I was a kid again, playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. The final fight with Bowser is out of this world, and the meaty post-game content is pretty stellar too.

And last, but not least... I finished playing Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne which I started playing late 2016 but got sidetracked. Excellent game, with some of the most hype JRPG boss fights of all time... the killer soundtrack plays a large part in that. One of the coolest overworlds in any JRPG ever. And the lean story that relies more on world-building and atmosphere than wordy dialog and cutscenes is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the Persona spin-offs... or hell, even the typical Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

All in all, I beat 20 games this year. Not too shabby. A personal record in fact, one-upping last year's high score of 18 games beaten. :cheers:

Last edited:
I haven't played any of the big Nintendo games in 2017 but my GOTY was probably What Remains of Edith Finch closely followed by F1 2017 and AC Origins.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Edith Finch, it's a short game and at first glance it looks like a walking simulator but there is a little more to it than that.

I did play R6 Siege and Bloodborne for the first time in 2017 and preferred those two to any of the 2017 releases that I played.

Exaggerated

Not really. It was all quite accurate — it's just that, since it happened prior to the wide release, EA had enough time to adjust the economy before it was on store shelves, so people picking it up in stores didn't have to see it at its worst.

It's still really grindy if you're going to attempt to max out everything. But it's less so, and obviously it currently doesn't have a real-cash option.

It's still really grindy if you're going to attempt to max out everything.
You need around 160 kills to unlock all weapon attachments(not counting alternative crate only) for one weapon in BF4. Its around 3h of general gameplay or 2h of grinding Operation Locker. There are around 100 weapons in BF4 or 200 hours of grind. Also, there are 8 vehicle classes which are +8 hours of killing(really depends of how lucky and skillfull you are). And this is just for unlocking all viable setups, for example, i dont have all visual unlocks at my M249 with which i have roughly 500+ kills and 9 hours. Also you must spend additional 50$ only to unlock all weapons. Everybody was totally OK with DLCs,battlepacks and progression in BF4. So, i dont get why there is so much hate about SWBF2.

2017 was interesting for me as far as gaming was concerned, although I can't exactly remember everything I played. Some things I do remember, though:
  • I massively splashed out on gaming technology this year, by far more than I ever have before. I started the year with a Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 1080 to replace my GTX 960 at the same time as buying a Vive, then a couple of months later I got an Asus PG279Q (which is a 27" 144Hz 1440p monitor). More recently I upgraded my awful old 32" TV to a Samsung UE40MU6400 (MU7000 in US nomenclature) and bought my first new console in ten years, a PS4 Pro. Less importantly I also finally replaced the DualShock 4 I'd been using as a PC controller with a better-supported Xbox One Elite controller and I also got a pair of bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, that might not sound like a big deal but the noise cancelling makes a huge difference to VR immersion when your neighbours' baby won't stop crying, also I can use them with my TV for late-night gaming without waking up my girlfriend, which again is actually a really big deal! Most of the money for this came from working a ridiculous amount of overtime in a role I left in October for a new role with far fewer opportunities for OT, so I don't think I'll be spending like this again in 2018. In fact if you compare what I earn yearly now with what I actually earned in a year in my last job, I took a significant pay cut for better work/life balance.
  • As I mentioned before, I got a VR headset - nothing I've played on it has been truly revolutionary but I've had a lot of fun in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (sandbox shooting range), Superhot VR, Google Earth and Pavlov (Counterstrike but in VR). Honestly, I think the most fun aspect of owning a VR headset is being able to introduce other people, especially people who haven't played games since their childhood NES/SNES/Mega Drive, to it because it's not often you get to see someone reacting to a completely new medium.
  • Full Throttle Remastered - one of my favourite games of my youth, except I was never able to finish it as a kid because I got stuck and didn't know what to do.
  • A group of friends and I got really into Table Top Racing: World Tour for about two months, until three of us got really good at it and upset everyone else with our consistent podium finishes...
  • I also got quite into Fallout 4 until I suddenly just got bored of it. I modded it a bit to add some new factory pieces and digital logic circuits and I managed to make a facility where you could get it to make a limited number of any item using 'hand-built' logic circuits, but then the game (predictably) bugged and it all disappeared, I think that's when I gave up. I was using a melee build and one of my power armour suits would boost my STR to 18 which was unbelievably OP.
  • I got back into MGS V and Payday 2 when I wasn't sure what else to play. I'm now 11th infamy in Payday 2, up from 2nd in 2016, and in MGS V I'm still only 84% complete but I've maxed out all my FOBs so I'm (infrequently) working on leveling up my teams so I can develop the gear clearly meant for people who do a lot of FOB invasions, which I don't - I don't really know why, but I guess both are the gaming equivalent of comfort food for me now, the same as Borderlands 2 was before I realised I couldn't play it any more.
  • Heat Signature might be my favourite game of 2017. It's either that or Horizon Zero Dawn, which is absolutely spectacular.
On the console side of things:
  • I got The Last of Us for my PS3 near the start of the year, long before I suspected I'd get a PS4 Pro. It seemed decent but I couldn't play it at 20fps on my old, slow TV that made everything blurry whenever you moved the camera. I didn't get very far at all and it was the last thing I bought on PS3, except for MGS V (which I already had on PC), pretty much just so I could say I've got every Hideo Kojima Metal Gear game installed on it.
  • So far I've bought Horizon Zero Dawn, GT Sport, Tekken 7, Wipeout Omega Collection, TLOU Remastered, Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 on my PS4 and I've played the first four so far, and I've enjoyed them all, but as I mentioned previously I think Horizon Zero Dawn is my favourite of them, Wipeout is a close second though - it looks absolutely stunning in 4K.
And some stuff I didn't like so much:
  • Sports Bar VR: Multiplayer is dead and I only know a couple of people with VR, none of them were interested in it.
  • Wasteland 2: I had hoped I'd enjoy this, but... I didn't, basically. Maybe it is good, maybe it's only good if you're nostalgic for Wasteland, maybe it's bad - all I can say is I overestimated how much I'd enjoy an isometric RPG!
  • The Signal From Tolva: I didn't exactly have high hopes for this in the first place, having seen gameplay and played Bad Robot's previous game, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. Imagine capturing outposts in Far Cry 3 except they're all pretty much the same, the AI is even worse and the guns feel like peashooters.
  • My limited space makes sim racing too impractical, so I've only tried VR simming with a wheel once. It was amazing, having a proper sense of scale, speed and spatial awareness makes a huge difference, but I just don't have the patience. I'm looking into what I can do to make it easier (the main problem is that the G27's connections are all on the bottom, and that there are so many of them - I want to combine them all into a single cable that plugs in on the back instead) but if you've ever seen my threads about modding the G27 you know I'll never actually finish it!
  • My mouse (Logitech G500) is broken and keeps double-clicking. It's 6 years old at this point so I'm hardly surprised, but it's gotten so bad I've had to borrow an office mouse from work while I wait for the replacement switches to arrive.

So looking back, I'd say 2017 was the year where gaming has been revived and updated for me. This was also the year where my love for closed track racing and sim racing games have been revived.

February is where it got real interesting for me since after 11 years, my old friend just gave me back my copy of GTR2 in which I don't even recall owning one before until now. Eventually after playing GTR2 and adding mods with it such as ADAC Masters, 1989, 1994, and 2016 F1 mod, etc. it instantly made it as the game that stands out to me the most for this year and brought me back to loving closed track and sim racing games. Also that month after 16 years, I finally completed Gran Turismo 3.

May is where I was able to buy a PS Vita since I really wanted to play Persona 4 Golden (to be honest, vanilla Persona 4 ain't gonna cut it for me and I just finished Persona 5 that month thrice so P4 Golden was my main target.) and finally after like 2 years since I last played the first Persona, I completed every Persona game to date.

After 3 years, I finally got a Playstation 4 Slim (includes NBA 2K18 and Mafia 3) last October and with that, I can finally play the latest games and also GT Sport (was able to buy that but its in 2018.). Mafia 3 is alright for me since it is the first Mafia game I played and Lincoln's voice is just good. NBA 2K18 on the other hand is alright but 2K's heavy MTing really hurt them this time around.

And to round up 2017, I was also able to buy Driveclub in which I wanna take back everything I think of Driveclub when it first came out. At first I was thinking it was just a generic arcade racer but having played until late December (traded it away for GT Sport), Driveclub was just more than that for me and I agree that it is the best looking arcade racer for the PS4.

Overall, 2017 was a huge gaming year for me.

2017 was a console year for me after more than a decade of really PC gaming only. It started with getting a PS4 Pro last Christmas. Highlights for me have been:

Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last Of Us Remastered
Project Cars 2
Unchartered - Nathan Drake Collection

I also went back and bought some consoles I'd missed out on. I picked up a Wii U and an Xbox 360 with some games for bargain money. Highlights this year for me on those older consoles have been:

Red Dead Repemption
Crackdown
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon

I am going to be honest (why lie to begin with?). My gaming interests have mostly declined a lot recently. I still have the PlayStation 3 as my gaming console of choice. I mostly have picked up a handful of old PS3 games. Among others- Ridge Racer 7, GRID, DiRT, Virtua Fighter 5, F1 Championship Edition, among others. I even at times wanted to return to Gran Turismo 6 not only to find stuff to blog about, but also to simply complete the game. Never got around to it.

Over time, I have developed a fondness for wanting to develop an Android game. So I played a lot of Android games for inspiration. I was never able to fully put it all together as a solo entity to make a proper game. I prefer having a home experience on Android because I never considered myself a mobile gamer. I saw home console potential in Android. That's why I bought an OUYA years ago to try to make this vision possible. Then I bought the Google Nexus Player to try to envision gaming on Android TV. Speaking of which, I was pleasantly pleased playing "Horizon Chase" on Android TV. I also enjoyed the likes of "GT Racing 2: The Real Car Experience" and "Real Racing 3." I was enjoying RR3 until something happened to where I lost my progress and went back to my last save- Level 14. I went from trying to get that Audi R8 Spyder back down to Pro-Am. Considering how taxing it is to grind for money and stuff, I basically gave up on RR3.

I was convinced by the GTPlanet public to get Automobilista and Assetto Corsa. Both games are solid. Even a lower-spec PC like mine was able to play Assetto Corsa quite well with many of the visual settings toned down and with no filters to screw things up. Autmobilista was more like an even better rFactor 1. Oh- and speaking of rFactor, I gave rFactor 2 that second chance buying on Steam for Christmas, and I was terribly disappointed even with my PC not meeting the basic requirements. So I basically said no more to rF2.

But as I said earlier, my gaming interests have waned in recent years. I would invest in getting a PlayStation 4, but considering the whole deal to have to get PlayStation Plus or something to play online, I don't know if I'd want to go through with getting a PS4. There are also not too many games I am interested in besides Gran Turismo Sport. I also have embraced the independent (or "indie") gaming realm more than the AAA developer type games the past few years. So really... I don't know where I stand as a gamer. I at least have spoken as to where I am mostly.

That is my 2017 in gaming.

Back