YOUR Ideal Sim-Racing Game

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 14 comments
United States
Allen, Texas
crispychicken49
crispychicken49
If consoles and memory was something in the past. Say a PC Sim, what features would you have? What things would you exclude? Remember, your possibilities are endless!
GEOGRAPHY
For me, I would have to say, it would be a free roam, street racing game. Something that hasn't been done to much. I think I would add in a city similar to Seacrest County in Need For Speed Hot Pursuit size-wise. Things I would include to the city are-

• Desert Area-Two lanes, high-speeds, low amount of turns
  • Ocean Area-Banking turns, some tight corners, many shops and side roads like in Flagler Beach, Florida
  • City Area-Not a large city like New York but more like Dallas, richer cars are found here
  • Suburb Area-Smaller scale with fun turns, many street racers, and some grassland area for off-roading
  • Country Area-Opposite of desert, only paved roads are two lane, mostly for off-roading
  • Mountain Area-Lots of mountain twisty's, two and sometimes three lane roads

CLIMATE
Now, to have a truly awesome Sim-Racer, you want to make it as realistic as possible. Now with console sims, like GT5, you can't have everything. But with a PC sim, its a lot less limited.

Now the climate for a city must be realistic. You can't have it rain one minute, than have it snow the next minute. For my sim, I would have it use pre-defined weather for each season. If the first Season was Spring, then heavier rain would come, more often, and it would rain for a longer time. Now, it would be pre-defined before the game release. Say the developers set it to rain lightly on the 27th, then heavy on the 30th. To add to the authenticity, your radio will switch off from the music and and onto a special weather report, whether it be severe thunderstorms, or a or Tornado warning off in another nearby county. The type of weather would change within seasons, except high in the mountains where it snows. And the desert, which would have high winds, but not that much rain.

DAMAGE
Damage is a great part in Sim-Racing, something that most games don't include. Now I just got done with climate, which naturally included weather. I don't know about all places in the world, but when Severe weather rises in Texas, hail comes. Now, hail is an Automotive enthusiasts nightmare, worse then them being forced to drive a Prius. Hail can cause hundreds, to thousands of dollars of damage to a car, including totaling the car out.

Now in my game, I would want to make drivers pay for the damage they cause for there car, forcing them to drive clean. Now if the game determines its not your fault of the damage (Hail, other drivers, etc.) then your car will get repaired for free. If another player hits your car on purpose, they would have to pay for their car, and yours. If your car gets destroyed in a single player match against AI, the game will determine the force of the impact in G-Forces, which will determine if you would have been killed in the impact. If you would have, the game will fade to white and restart the match. If you wouldn't have been killed, the match would end and you would be forced to pay for your car, or try and sell if off for a low price to a junkyard.

PHYSICS
Now, the sim iRacing has arguably the best physics system around at the moment. Now with rain and snow, there would need to be grip loss. So add these two together, and you get a good physics system.

Shift 2 Unleashed. A new release game. This game also has great sense of speed. I would like to add it to a great physics model, to add the most realistic sense of speed. This would be extremely scary around city streets. On a track, you really only have to worry about others around you, your braking point, and your turning point with your level of throttle. With this, you would have to worry about all these things, and the fact that there are other civilian cars around, and if you lose control, you just wont run off into a sandpit, but an office building instead. It will teach the driver to not take to many risks, but drive more smooth.

GAMEPLAY
Rarely has a sim-racer utilized a storyline. I think the Shift series sort of did with the race to the top. Now with street racing, any story is possible. Someone brother would die, and the character would go for a revenge run. Heres my story-

"The playable character is on the run from the FBI, wanted for street racing, assault, armed robbery, and evasion of pursuit. The FBI has issued a worldwide warrant for the characters arrest. A bounty on his/her head of over $1,000,000 for dead, or alive. Top bounty hunter [insert name here] is hot on the players heels, but when it the player finds the large county of Peninsula County he/she heads for it down a treacherous mountain road. The top bounty hunter loses control of his Dodge Viper and flys off the cliff, effectively ending his career. (Note: For me, I would like to include two sides of the story, one from the street racers, and one from the cops.) The player starts the game as the street racer by speeding away from Peninsula County Police Department down a narrow desert road in a silver Nissan Skyline KPGC10 2000GT-R. After about two or three minutes of the police telling him to pull over while dodging traffic at 110 MPH they get the order to use force. The lead officer trys to shunt the player from behind, but loses the control, giving the other officer the chance to stop the player. He rams the front of the Skyline, totaling it out while its still drivable. Both cars lose control, but the player gets away. He then becomes involved in a gang, stealing cars for large sums of money to buy cars for street racing. His last robbery grants him and his friends and escape from the gang by effectively robbing a Koenigsegg Agera R, a Pagani Clinque Roadster, and Lamborghini Reventon. The player is then confronted by a personal insurance agent, saying that to pay for the house, they need to sell the either the Koenigsegg, or Skyline. The screen fades to black, where it comes back showing the player and their love interest sitting on the hood of a car, unknown to the player. Once the sunset shines better on the car, you see its the Skyline, fully restored from its destroyed state with the money that the Koenigsegg gave them.

The cops story starts when he's in pursuit of a Silver Skyline (the player) After the pursuit, he gets confronted by the FBI, after their top bounty hunter was killed, they want to take revenge. They get the permission to send in their interceptors. These are highly trained FBI Agents in fast cars. Things like Porsche 911's, Lamborghini's, and the top agent. A tuned Ford GT. The police officer goes on the hunt for the player. THe two meet up every once in a while. At the end of the game, the Police Officer is given the keys to the Ford GT, showing he has advanced to the top. He is then sent out freely to get the player just like the last bounty hunter."

CUSTOMIZATION
The player should be allowed to customize their car to their liking. Adding free liveries onto their car like in Forza. Many manufacture body-kits are also available, as well as rims. A feature will also allow you to only view the manufactures that are installed onto your car. Each performance part will have a list of different manufacture's which give different performance levels. An HKS Turbo could give a bigger boost in HP than a GREDDY Turbo of the same stage. You could also be given drivetrain and engine swaps. Like a Bentley W12 into a Golf GTi.

You can customize the interior with racing seats and seat belts. As well has radio's, roll cages, and racing wheels. Some parts may be illegal to install on your car. Like Nitrous. So if a cop catches you, he can fine you extra money with each illegal part he finds on your car. You also start off with a radar detector, but can upgrade it to a better one.

CARS FEATURED
The cars featured should have a little bit of everything. Like Exotics, Tuners, and Muscle.

FEATURES
You can get to customize your player, whether it be a male or female, personalize it like Test Drive Unlimited. You would get a home off in the country, where less cops are, that includes a small hanger to fit 6 cars. As well as 2 more in your driveway. You have a computer in your house where you can buy and sell used cars sort of like AutoTrader. You can also go on a music organizer to select music from your real computer, import it to the games computer. And burn it into a CD to place into your cars radio and listen to. You may also upgrade software on your radar detector from here.

RACE TYPES
  • Drag-Mostly set in the city.
  • Point to Point-Lots of tighter turns, start at one end of the city, and the other end. Maybe even go through all of the area's.
  • Circuit-Tight tracks that end where they begin to make a circuit.
  • Drift-Drift through the mountains or through the city area's dodging cars and other obstacles.
  • Overtake-Classic street racing in which each driver starts out at 50mph, if someone gets ahead, they must turn on there blinker and pull in-front of the other.
  • Pursuit-Your a cop trying to stop speeding racers. THe FBI gives you the go to use deadly force.
  • Robbery-You have to find the stolen car, break into it, and get it to the safe house without any cops following you. If they do, you must get away then proceed. You lose points for damage.
  • Rally-This takes place on any of the dirt area's. These are predefined course's that everyone goes through in stages.
  • Time Attack-Get from Point A to Point B the fastest.
To emphasize the Free Roam aspect of the game, each player is given a GPS. This GPS will give you the best route through the city to win. You will also have to rely on your own navigating skills to get places, as the GPS may lose connection, or give you a slower route. Each player/AI goes different routes. Say if you start off at the Peak of the mountain, and end at the Ocean cove, you could go through the desert, or you could go through the country around and through the ocean road. You could even take a route the the heart of the bustling city to try and get there quicker. Usually when there is little traffic the city is the quickest route. You just have to be lucky to get little traffic.

AREAS IN DETAIL

DESERT-The desert uses a small, 2-lane road with many erosion cracks in it do to lack of rain and heat. These cracks make it easier to lose control going at high speeds. This is where you can easily max out your car. It eventually loops around back onto the highway near the ocean.

OCEAN-The highway is a 4-lane highway, two lanes on each side. It goes for about a mile before it hits the ocean cove and lowers into a three lane road. This three lane road leads around the right side of the ocean, with side roads leading towards shops and eventually the city. The three lane road will loop around a large rocky land with a lighthouse in the middle. The ocean has one set of dealer. THe roadsters. This includes Mazda and Lotus.

COUNTRY-The three lane road goes to two lanes as the traffic dies down. This two-lane road goes inland about a mile before turning into a dead-end. After this its a dirt road into the country.

MOUNTAINS-The dead-end road will also turn 90 degrees and go for about two miles before entering the mountain area where it slopes up into the mountains. After this it twists and turns with deadly drop-off points until it gets to the peak where a satellite resides. After that is slopes down and goes through more twists until it finds the desert road and connects the peninsula.

SUBURBS-Now go back to the turn that leads onto the mountain. It banks around onto a service road that circles around the suburbs until coming within 2 miles of the closing where it loops to cover around the city. THis eventually lands back onto the closing. The service road also follows the highway. The service road houses two sets of dealers too. On the left there is Nissan/Infinity and Toyota/Lexus. On the right there is Honda/Acura. Closer towards the houses are the American dealers. On the left you have Ford, Saleen, and Shelby. On the right you have Chevy, Dodge, and Calloway. Then on a road that connects the Suburbs and the City, you have Porsche/RUF.

THE CITY- The city is large. In fact, its 9 miles long. And with how slow traffic goes, it becomes very hard to navigate.Before re-entering the service road you will find a street with 6-Car dealers. On the right, its the Italian. On the left, its everyone else. For the Italians, they have: Lamborghini, Pagani, Ferrari. On the other side, they have: Aston Martin, Bugatti, and Koenisegg. On the opposite of the city are the Germans. There's BMW/Mini, McLaren, (I know McLaren's British, but they did work with BMW and Mercedes) and Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen, and Audi. Each of these sets of dealers are setup on Main Street. About a mile past the Germans and you find the crossover. This is where you can take the highway and end up on the other side of the highway, crossing over about 5 or 6 miles of the city. North of Main Street is the Peninsula County International Airport.

*This is my game, now tell me what your perfect sim game would be. Feel free to go into extensive details just like me! Just like mine you can make it as unrealistic as possible!

Last edited:
The console sims - FM with its customisation especially - are crying out for a free-roam segment so people can just cruise, talk about their cars and mess about basically.

My Ideal sim?

- GTR2 force feedback
- rFactor 2 graphic and physic engine
- Templates liveries, of course
- GT5 special fx graphic post processing
- FM4 carlist
- Iracing online organization
- Flag rules
- Smart and customizable AI
- Periodic track updating
- Mod compatible (but lot imporoved and easier than rFactor)
- Custom Championship
- Endurance saves :sly:

I don't have the patience to write out a whole list but I would like the idea of an MMO free range game. 100s if not 1000s of cars roaming around.

To add to your idea I'd also like a race track area. Take your pick of Nascar, F1, Super GT cars... Whatever but a track that can be customized from oval to road course. Something like Daytona would be fine.

I'd also like a testing ground where they simulated an actual manufacture's testing fields. A drag strip for acceleration, braking tests, slalom, and in each area the ability to make it wet or dry.

I'd like to see dealerships in the free roam like you would in a real world city. Auto malls here and there with new cars. Some new car dealers on their own and Joe's used car lots with random cheaper cars.

I'd like Forza's race clean incentive rewards where if you crash it takes money to repair and you get less winnings from the race. To add to that you would have to take it to that make of car's dealership or to a garage where it may have to start for a day or reso depending on the damage.

I'd like drifting to be more prominent but leaving it optional so those that don't enjoy it don't have to do it.

Also one edit to your weather.... Never been to Vancouver in the winter eh? It can literally rain, hail, snow and be sunny in an afternoon :)

All I ask is painfully accurate suspension tuning and engine modification. For example: broad selection of cams, starting from tweaked stock camshaft to a camshaft that is suitable for high strung NA application. Different strength springs for blow-off valves. Suspension where everything is related to every other adjustable feature and affects their values from KPI to stiffer bushings. A true car simulation for car geeks, like MS Flight sims and X-Plane are to aircraft geeks.

I would love something that tracks a motorsport sport career so you start in karts and end (if your good enough and don't run out of money karting) with F1.

Okay, I edited mine to fit everything I thought of last night to add. ^My friend thought of that the other day. Really good idea and would really be very fun IMO!

All I ask is painfully accurate suspension tuning and engine modification. For example: broad selection of cams, starting from tweaked stock camshaft to a camshaft that is suitable for high strung NA application. Different strength springs for blow-off valves. Suspension where everything is related to every other adjustable feature and affects their values from KPI to stiffer bushings. A true car simulation for car geeks, like MS Flight sims and X-Plane are to aircraft geeks.

Try rFactor, is cheap and is good.👍

I tried the trial and it was.. well, IS appalling.

I found rfactor appalling at first too. You have to spend a good amount of time tweaking it before it feels right. For me it never has had the "works right out of the box" feeling like iracing did. There are good mods for it that work well. It just takes time to find them. So give it a chance, try to tweak and make it work for you, then see if you like it. The enduracers mod is excellent btw.

My Ideal sim?

- GTR2 force feedback
- rFactor 2 graphic and physic engine
- Templates liveries, of course
- GT5 special fx graphic post processing
- FM4 carlist
- Iracing online organization
- Flag rules
- Smart and customizable AI
- Periodic track updating
- Mod compatible (but lot imporoved and easier than rFactor)
- Custom Championship
- Endurance saves :sly:

👍 best list I've read so far. Just straight to the point and doable. Exactly what I was thinking. But I'll pretty much just take rFactor 2 and/or GTR 3 along with iRacing online organization + FM3 level liveries + detailed pits :dopey:

Ideal sim?

rFactor with GT5 graphics, PERIOD.👍

That ENB series mod applies a lot of nice filters. I got some decent settings last night I tried and it seemed to work nicely. But still, ya GT5 probably still got the edge.

I was up darn near all night yesterday playing rFactor + realFeel + ENB + using Com8's maps (along with Eastern Creek!). rFactor is sooo much fun and good loooking with the right maps!!! :dopey:

I tried the trial and it was.. well, IS appalling.

What?! You know what I might've felt the same. I was disappointed with it until I got my favorite mods (Enduracers + DTM + DRM + CDT, etc) + some good looking maps I mentioned above.

Yes yes, but initial impressions mean a lot. Trial is mediocre at best, and the videos of the mods I've seen haven't convinced me. It felt a lot like Enthusia did.

Latest Posts

Back