Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
...And you've known about it for a while! The 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan:

LLN.com
Honda today unveiled its 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan, which will be on display at the Paris Motor Show later this month. The debut marks the first time that "Si" performance has become available in the Civic Sedan. Similar to the existing Civic Si Coupe, the Civic Si Sedan serves as another performance halo for the Civic line-up with a 197-horsepower, 16-valve, DOHC 2.0 liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine with an 8,000 rpm redline - all mated to a close-ratio, 6-speed manual transmission and a helical-type, limited slip differential. Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control is standard (and also added to the Civic Si Coupe as standard equipment for 2007). Similar to the Civic Si Coupe, the Civic Si Sedan has a sporty interior with deeply bolstered seats, red fabric stitching, red backlit gauges, and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob.

The Civic Si Sedan rides on dark silver 17-inch cast aluminum alloy wheels (new color for 2007, and also applied to the Civic Si Coupe) 215/45R17 high-performance tires (summer tire available), and stops with 11.8-inch ventilated front disc brakes and 10.2-inch solid rear disc brakes. Suspension tuning is similar to Civic Si Coupe with the same spring rates and rear stabilizer bar diameter, with slightly different damper tuning and front stabilizer bar diameter that best match the sedan’s longer 106.3-inch wheelbase (+2.0 inches compared to the coupe).

1-2007-honda-civic-si-sedan-production.jpg

The Civic Si Sedan’s 2.0-liter, 16-valve, DOHC engine produces 197-horsepower @ 7800 rpm and 139 lb-ft. of torque at 6100 rpm. The Civic Si Sedan has unique intake and exhaust tuning that emphasizes the torque of the K20Z3 engine at low RPMs. Standard safety equipment includes VSA and ABS with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD). The VSA system provides launch, oversteer and acceleration-understeer control by modulating engine power and/or applying brake pressure independently to each wheel. VSA can be manually deactivated.

The interior has a two-tier instrument panel that conveys futuristic design and quick reference meter positioning, including a rev-limit indicator light and outside temperature gauge. A leather wrapped tilt and telescope steering wheel is standard, along with deeply bolstered sport seats and the black and red Si interior color scheme. The 7-speaker 350-watt premium audio system with subwoofer features Speed-Sensitive Volume Control (SVC), MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio input jack and XM Satellite Radio (by subscription) for navigation-equipped models. Additional features include a 60/40 split folding rear seat, one-touch power moonroof, ambient console lighting, keyless entry with security system, power windows, power locks, a dual trip meter odometer and a Maintenance Minder indicator. The Voice-Activated Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System is available.

15-2007-honda-civic-si-sedan-production.jpg

In keeping with Honda's "Safety for Everyone" initiative, safety systems include Honda’s exclusive Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure for enhanced frontal crash compatibility. The ACE Body Structure enhances frontal collision energy management through a network of load bearing structures in the front of the vehicle. In addition, the Civic provides a long list of standard safety equipment including side curtain airbags, front side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), active front head restraints, 4-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with EBD and VSA with Traction Control. Honda's commitment to safety extends to pedestrians as well as vehicle occupants. To help reduce pedestrian injuries in the event of a collision, the Civic’s hood and fender areas are designed to deform if contacted by the head of an adult or child pedestrian.

Yeah, they will sell plenty of them... But even then, I doubt if Volkswagen or Mazda have much to worry about with this car, given that their products allready have a solid reputation, very strong performance, and a better ballance of "good and evil" in the sense that they are quite handy for everyday use...

You know, I've gotten used to the latest Civic styling since the design change. I will still slightly agree that the coupe would be better-looking. Still, though. This thing looks like it can be made for some touring car racing. I like this car. The specific model in these pictures would probably be better with a crimson or dark blue color. There's a lot of options for this car. I sometimes can't tell one of the five different Civic models from another because many of them look really different from the rear. The Si Coupé is the sportiest (don't laugh) looking model of the bunch with about 197hp. I initially thought the digital readout was probably derived from the S2000. I'd like to see more pictures of this car to know how it looks all around. The wheels are pretty nice. It almost seems like the spoke design on the wheels is like the spoke design of the steering wheel.

Approval time. Out of 100% approval for this specific model, it gets an 80% rating from me.

I like the coupe better, too. Best looking Civic of this generation, better than even the Type R.

I'm not sure there should be an Si Sedan, since that kinda dilutes the Si name.

I've got a buddy that just put down 19,000+ on a Civic EX (I think it was EX but all I can say for sure was that it was the top of the line normal 4 door).
He's been dying to see this car and now I'm sure he's going to be kicking himself for jumping the gun with his normal civic.

Personally, I like the 4-door SI. 👍

As for competition on the market, I doubt this will change anyone's mind about what to buy. Chances are the fanboys will all stay with the company they already love. Of course, for those who don't know what they want, I doubt this will "steal" sales from VW, mazda yes, vw no.

Not bad, but I still like the GLI better. Kudos to Honda for pleasing those who wanted it though. :tup:

It is very nice, and yes, it is very big. Old midsize big. I actually prefer this to the coupe, but I do have a huge biase for sedans. They sure waited long enough though!

How much?

The WRX owns the $20K-$25K performance segment. Buyers would be fools to walk past that to the Si (especially considering how Honda dealers are know for marking up Honda's "specialty" cars).

A few things:

Q: How much?
A: More than the coupe, presumably. I'd start the bidding around $21-22K, a fully-loaded model going north of $25-27K without a problem. Baisically, right on par with a VW GLI.

Q: Size?
A: Not much smaller than the current European Accord, American TSX. Don't be surprised to find the next-gen Civic to be damn near as big as the American Accord...

Q: Build quality (all Civics)?
A: Not as good as it used to be. Poor plastic quality (bendable, looks breakable) and poor plastic surfacing is a big dissapointment when compared to other cars in it's class. A step ahead of Ford and GM? Slightly... But Honda isn't the class leader like it used to be, hell Toyota isn't either. Volkswagen has ruined me, I always expect their interiors when I get into an economy car...

Ugly interior, good looking exterior. But that doesn't matter...all Civics are overpriced plastic buckets.

How much?
This is just a guess on my part, but I'm going to say they are $20,290, or there abouts, when they are officially for sale. If you look, the Civic Sedan EX and Coupe EX are both the same base price. Same standard and optional equipment, so same base price. Everything looks to be the same with the Si Coupe and Si Sedan. So, I'm going to say, roughly $20k starting price.
The WRX owns the $20K-$25K performance segment.
No, the WRX owns the $25-30k segment. Even if you get the stripped down TR version, its still $24,620 just to start once you add destination. Which is a hell of a car, no doubt. But, the stock Si with destination added is only $20,895 out the door. Thats damn near $4k less than a WRX.

Its a similar story with the GLI. That car is $24,420 with destination just to start. So, similar to the WRX, its $3.5k more than the Si. But, to its credit, the GLI does come with some things standard that you either can't get on the others, or are optional extras. Such as the HID headlamps, 6-disc in-dash changer, and stability control. So, for what you get, the GLI is a decent price. But, out-the-door price between the two, it is a good chunk of cash more.

Even if you add the one major option to the Si, the "Summer Tires an Nav" package, you only get up to $22,835 out the door. Thats still almost $2k less that the other 2, and you can't even get nav on a WRX. And, to get nav on the GLI, like always with VW, you have to get some other options in a package. The price then jumps up to $27,680 with destination. You are then at almost $5k more. The new Civic Si, either Coupe or Sedan, is a great car for the money, no matter how you configure it.

These cars should all compare very closely when it comes to performance. Power-to-Weight ratio between them is very close. The WRX is tops because of its extra 30hp, but its also fairly heavy. It will probably be quicker 0-60 as well, because of the extra power and AWD. But, on a track or auto-x, I think the Si would do very well against them.

GLI - 16.5 lbs/hp
WRX - 13.9 lbs/hp
SI - 14.8 lbs/hp

Its nice to see Honda offer the Si in a Sedan form. I really like the new Si, and being able to have that fun but still have some decent space in back is nice. I actually have a friend who was going to be getting a Jetta. He was just getting the standard 2.0T version, not the GLI. But, after I saw news of this car a while back over at vtec.net, he held off, and is now probably getting the Si. Its just a great car for the money.

Hilg

JNasty: You are right, I was off in my WRX price guess...so comparing it to the Si is not really a fair match.

I'd agree that on a tight auto-x the Si would give the WRX a run for it's money, but I think the WRX has a more usable powerband as well as the 30 hp advantage.

JNasty: You are right, I was off in my WRX price guess...so comparing it to the Si is not really a fair match.
No, price-wise it isn't. But by the specs, its very close.
I'd agree that on a tight auto-x the Si would give the WRX a run for it's money...
I think on any track it would be close. Tight or not, we are talking about a car that is basically 300lbs lighter. That makes for a very even playing field on any track.
....but I think the WRX has a more usable powerband as well as the 30 hp advantage.
And I agree with that as well. For a daily driver, the WRX would be the easier pick. More power across more of the revs makes for easy everyday driving. The new K-series engines are great NA engines. But, the WRX with its 2.5L turbo is hard to beat as a fun daily driver.

Hilg

Meh, I still wouldn't touch the Honda with a 10ft-pole if the GLI is in the equation. The better looks, equipment, levels of refinement, and overall "driveability" makes the Jetta a real winner... Truthfully it's only handicap being the price combined with the high monthly insurance. But even then, the Civic will cost a lot in insurance prices as well, given that it is still one of the most-stolen vehicles in the United States.

...Now if we could get the GTI Five Door here in the US, this comparison would be over. The GTI has allready proven itself quite well against the Si, and the adition of two doors, the altered suspension (we finially get the Euro-spec setup!), and the addition of launch control on the DSG-equipped models... That makes a good comparison car.

I'm not positive if the GLI recieves launch control on the DSG-equipped models this year, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. The car is still quite nice, and certainly looks better than the Si... It doesn't scream, "I wanna race!"

---

...But if you would really like to start throwing wrenches into the system, look no further than the Chevrolet Cobalt SS or Saturn Ion Redline. GM has been pushing them out the door quite easily, and given their respectable performance (pretty damn good for a 2.0L S/C unit with 205 BHP) they make for a good deal. For just over $20K they are quite the deal, and although you can't pick up the Chevy with four doors, the Saturn will do it's coupe/sedan trick for you.

My neighbor has a new model Civic, not this one, but year before. He has the EX model. XM radio, everything. And he has not once had a problem in the lsat 7-8 months. (Don't know how long hes had it, but for awile) And I have been in it, and I love it. Not as much as a Accord, but it certenly is comfortable, and has plenty of room. I'm not saying it is god, but compared to alot of other cars i've been in the same price range. I do love the WRX, Mazda3, and all of those cars. But Honda has just that little somthing that I sense... That sounds really stupid.. But I think the new Honda looks sweet, I really love the steering wheel, it looks like it has been pulled off a alien space ship. 👍 To me, that is awsome.

Back