Your most favourite final boss theme in gaming of all time?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 7 comments
Australia
Australia
Hello, gamers and petrol heads in GTPlanet!

What's your most favourite final boss themes in gaming?

Last edited:

Dark Souls 3 - Abyss Watchers.

Not only is it a beautiful piece of music on its own, the way it fits the fight, and caps off the adventure you've been on up to this point, is sublime. While we never get told much about the bosses in Dark Souls, it's clear the Abyss Watchers were once a force of good, and the soft melancholic rise of the score as we watch them locked in eternal battle with themselves gives the impression things are not as they should be, and as phase two begins, the music swells up, doubling down on this feeling.

It's perfect.

Generally speaking, I can't stand the whole boss battle cliché thing. However, I did kind of like the fight against the dark queen at the end of ICO.

I tend to enjoy JRPG boss and "bigger boss" themes more than final boss themes. Sweet rockin' tunes, (almost always) without any pesky vocals. :) Most recently I am a fan of ACE+'s work in the Xenoblade games. My wife and I got back into Guild Wars 2 this Spring, and I've made use of its custom music feature to insert Xenoblade battle music. :mischievous:

For a final boss theme, my most favorite of all time is the four-act epic "Dancing Mad" from Final Fantasy VI. I'll share the version performed by Uematsu's band, The Black Mages:

Dark Souls 3 - Abyss Watchers.

Not only is it a beautiful piece of music on its own, the way it fits the fight, and caps off the adventure you've been on up to this point, is sublime. While we never get told much about the bosses in Dark Souls, it's clear the Abyss Watchers were once a force of good, and the soft melancholic rise of the score as we watch them locked in eternal battle with themselves gives the impression things are not as they should be, and as phase two begins, the music swells up, doubling down on this feeling.

It's perfect.

I like Twin Princes theme a lot better than that, just because it has a stronger melody to it.

I find a lot of boss themes (in any game, not just Dark Souls 3) just kinda gets buried behind the action and gets forgotten after a while, so I like the ones that have strong melody that I can hum myself to. Twin Princes' theme was just immediately catchy, and it's more or less the only boss theme that I still remember clearly.

It's not my favorite boss theme, though. My actual favorite boss theme is down below. Jumpin' Jack Flash from Elite Beat Agents. It doesn't get any catchier than this.

I like Twin Princes theme a lot better than that, just because it has a stronger melody to it.

I find a lot of boss themes (in any game, not just Dark Souls 3) just kinda gets buried behind the action and gets forgotten after a while, so I like the ones that have strong melody that I can hum myself to. Twin Princes' theme was just immediately catchy, and it's more or less the only boss theme that I still remember clearly.

It's not my favorite boss theme, though. My actual favorite boss theme is down below. Jumpin' Jack Flash from Elite Beat Agents. It doesn't get any catchier than this.

I agree the Twin Princes' theme is also fantastic, and I also like Yhorm's theme, but the latter definitely suffers from being a bit buried in the mix.

I always pay close attention to the music in From games because I appreciate the totality of the aesthetic, from visual through audio to mechanical, the game is unified in its presentation.

I chose Abyss Watchers because, aside from being interesting melodically, it's a little further forward in the mix when it comes to the actual game. I love it's melancholy, reflective tone, which fits the boss so well, as they mirror the sad story of Artorias and tie in with the theme of the end of things that runs through the whole game. At NG+7, when you're really immersed in the whole souls aesthetic, I find Abyss Watchers can bring a tear to my eye.

Back