Your Nighmare Rally

• Thread starter fernandito
  • 26 comments

fernandito

(Banned)
Spain
Spain
To me the award goes to Lv.3 degraded road + wet conditions rally of Poland. Those bumps at high speed; those edges.., and worse it is the only rally I can't find a good setup with many cars.

Sometimes I find it even more irritating than the infamous dr1 sweedish rally, with those legendary magnetic edges that they couldn't fix in time apparently.

Anything at Argentina stages, especially in heavy rain with RWD cars. Very bumpy, slow stages are a nightmare.

My first ever rally in DiRT Rally when it just came out. I was so use to arcade style games, and played a lot of DiRT 3 beforehand so i was in for a big shock. Could not stay on the gravel in Greece lol.

I have a new contender.
USA, at 1am, in very heavy rain. Basically crawling around at 10 mph i still couldn't even see the road in front of me, the trees, or basically anything apart from a bright white wall of solid rain. Turned the headlights off, didn't help (surprisingly). 8 miles of that!? No thanks. Rather just quit. Especially as i was over 20 seconds behind at the first checkpoint

Ah sounds like you got hit with the random rain bug!
If rain looks too much to be realistic you can exit session, then go back in and the crazy wall of rain will resemble something more like the real thing

Although heavy rain at night can be rough at best of times.

I've encountered this, definitely not fun! For me it was on Poland and I made it to the first corner before plowing into a tree I couldn't see.

I thought they fixed the bug, though? Haven't seen the wall of rain since launch.

I don’t believe they’ve been able to recreate rain bug to even work on fix such is the rarity.
I’ve only ever encountered it once thankfully.

I’ve had the acid rain bug strike only once in hundreds of hours of playtime, and it was at New England. Definitely weird when it occurred.

Nightmare Rally? It would be easier to say which aren’t nightmares. Ha.

Wales has always been a drag but Scotland is making a challenging run for first place on the eye-rolling/sigh inducing list whenever it comes up.

Add CM rain into the mix and they’re both complete nightmares.

I still see Wales as the best rally of the pack, far from being any nightmare, and it was made five years ago (six to seven actually) to be featured in the first game.

My favourite out of the new ones that came with dr2 would be New England undoubtedly, heavy rain or not (you guys complaining about rain in the night should play Driveclub). Then Spain and the more recently added Scotland.

If rain looks too much to be realistic you can exit session, then go back in and the crazy wall of rain will resemble something more like the real thing

Although heavy rain at night can be rough at best of times.

Thanks, makes sense that it's a bug, I'm glad it's not what CM consider realistic, or hopefully something that i will encounter again!! :lol:
Anyway, back to nightmare rallies. Basically anything that's got a lot of hairpins, 1's and 2's. There's just no flow. The bit around the farm in Poland is pretty miserable, some of Germany, and most of Argentina.

2, for different reasons...

New England... the lighting is appalling, one minute ok, then suddenly pitch black... and then there are the stupid lens flare effects. Developers trying to be over clever.

Poland... the edges of the track are a nightmare... slight touch and instant 180* spin.

I really enjoy Argentina once I get in to the flow.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don’t mind Poland, actually like it with the mixture of gravel, tarmac, cobblestone surfaces along with variable high and low speed sections make it the best all-around rally. Once I learned the one ‘Right 4 Narrow’ turn was more like a ‘2’ all was well.

Also don’t understand the hate for Spain with the moaning about its tarmac handling, yet Germany seems to get a free pass from criticism. Maybe it’s because Spain has rapid elevation changes and banking that unsettle the car yet Germany is flat as a pancake. Who knows, but I’ll let the experts hash that out.

Hmmm, I think I’ve found a new favourite... Sweden.

the fast stage that makes up the 1st 2 stages in the McRae Focus challenge... In some sections it’s just a wall of white in front of you with stream of constant 6/flat corners. May as well be trying to drive it blindfold.

Combined with the magnetic snow banks, mid corner throttle on understeer, and snap oversteer over crests, it’s great fun :rolleyes:

Different strokes for different folks.

I don’t mind Poland, actually like it with the mixture of gravel, tarmac, cobblestone surfaces along with variable high and low speed sections make it the best all-around rally. Once I learned the one ‘Right 4 Narrow’ turn was more like a ‘2’ all was well.

Also don’t understand the hate for Spain with the moaning about its tarmac handling, yet Germany seems to get a free pass from criticism. Maybe it’s because Spain has rapid elevation changes and banking that unsettle the car yet Germany is flat as a pancake. Who knows, but I’ll let the experts hash that out.
Spain has a corner which is called out as a 3 right I believe, but is more like a 2 or even a 1 and it gets me every time, because it's a blind/ deceptive corner with a high bank on the outside that sends me flying in the air. :lol: Spain is a great rally if you ask me, in fact I quite like the tarmac handling in the game overall but still may prefer Germany for the greater variety in corners.

Besides Argentina (for it's bumpiness and slow speeds) I think New Zealand is a rally I avoid more than I should. I like it, but if you get it wrong on the sections of continuous lefts and rights then it's no fun.

Spain has a corner which is called out as a 3 right I believe, but is more like a 2 or even a 1 and it gets me every time, because it's a blind/ deceptive corner with a high bank on the outside that sends me flying in the air. :lol: Spain is a great rally if you ask me, in fact I quite like the tarmac handling in the game overall but still may prefer Germany for the greater variety in corners.

Besides Argentina (for it's bumpiness and slow speeds) I think New Zealand is a rally I avoid more than I should. I like it, but if you get it wrong on the sections of continuous lefts and rights then it's no fun.

After reading my post again I realize that Germany isn’t entirely flat as a pancake, there are those stages in the woods with the hairpins and undulations that make it one of my favorite locations.

Started another My Team Championship and drew Scotland again. 9 out of 10 stages with rain. Ugh. CM needs to look into that.

After reading my post again I realize that Germany isn’t entirely flat as a pancake, there are those stages in the woods with the hairpins and undulations that make it one of my favorite locations.

Started another My Team Championship and drew Scotland again. 9 out of 10 stages with rain. Ugh. CM needs to look into that.

I don't know... 9 out of 10 stages in Scotland with rain sounds pretty realistic to me :lol:

Same for me just today, but in masters and eleven out of twelve rain stages.

Don't have any problem with that as it is Scotland and that's their weather basically. My problem is that even with stage five engine and doing good runs across the entire rally, I have ended like twentieth. First stage thirty seconds; second twenty; thrid one minute and so on. I mean this is what CM should look into, because if they actually take the times of the first fifty to hundred top times posters as their model for Masters AI times, then they got it all wrong because most of them cheat if not make huugee roflmao road cuts that are also obvious cheating. Also, why punishing hundreds of thousands of players to be forced to submitting times like that, which only a handful can do, and most of the times cheating?, their reasoning could not be more flawed.

My problem is that even with stage five engine and doing good runs across the entire rally, I have ended like twentieth. First stage thirty seconds; second twenty; thrid one minute and so on. I mean this is what CM should look into, because if they actually take the times of the first fifty to hundred top times posters as their model for Masters AI times, then they got it all wrong because most of them cheat if not make huugee roflmao road cuts that are also obvious cheating. Also, why punishing hundreds of thousands of players to be forced to submitting times like that, which only a handful can do, and most of the times cheating?, their reasoning could not be more flawed.

I didn’t know the AI times are based on user times. On Elite at Scotland I keep finishing last of the contestants that actually finish, which is to me the game feeling sorry for me and not making me completely last. But yeah, my times aren’t even close to the pace.

I’m just surprised my times at other events are competitive considering if aliens and cheaters are skewing the times that much.

Gives us mortals something to aim for!
Hi Frank, i cant find the post but pretty sure was you who suggested a wheel saturation of 60 i think.
I'm wondering now what was the default? I don't want to reset all just to find out, they should have an option in sims to reset to default each setting individually or display it beside it.

Hi Frank, i cant find the post but pretty sure was you who suggested a wheel saturation of 60 i think.
I'm wondering now what was the default? I don't want to reset all just to find out, they should have an option in sims to reset to default each setting individually or display it beside it.
Default is probably everything to 100?

Played the Argentine stages for the first time last night on career mode....:banghead: loathsome, could not get into any sort of rhythm and ended up quitting, I’ll go back to finish it obviously but it won’t be enjoyable

Played the Argentine stages for the first time last night on career mode....:banghead: loathsome, could not get into any sort of rhythm and ended up quitting, I’ll go back to finish it obviously but it won’t be enjoyable
Horrible isn't it. Not only is it just full of hairpin, 1 and 2 corners, there's massive rocks everywhere so as soon as you stray a couple inches off line, you'll catch your back end and get spun. An utter chore to battle through.

I basically don't restart any stage unless i drop it off a cliff, regardless of where i finish, just to minimize the amount of time i have to drive this miserable location.

Last edited:
Really?, not only the easiest rally to win against AI along with Germany, but one where you can constantly practice the capital thing that is sliding to rally. I really find these stages to have a very good and enjoyable flowing. Another story is to pass over the same locations over and over again, but that is a problem with the entire game with all its locations.

You need very high ride height in this rally, and very soft roll bars. Also, block the power ramp almost to the max. Right foot issue might be the issue here, as always.

Back