Your Opinion on Tuning

• Thread starter Sameiru
  • 7 comments
Sameiru
So there comes a time where we all get a little bored with racing and try our hand at drifting. I've been drifting for quite a while now with both pad and wheel, and I'm able to drift every corner in GT5:P and can easily make 12k+ scores on Eiger (Forward and Reverse) and Suzuka Short (I think it has another name) in most RWD cars (AWD drifting I'm not so good :().

After all this time drifting I've come to have my own opinion about tuning. I see all these videos and tutorials here and on Youtube showing you "How to drift in GT5" and 90% of them include massive tuning to the car. In my opinion this sort of tuning is the most disgraceful thing you can do to drifting. Instead of learning to drift a new car and learning the gearing, suspension, power and weighting of the car, they make the car behave like every other car they drift so the only changes made when drifting a new car is the way it looks. I love the feeling of trying and trying at learning how a new car reacts, and will spend weeks drifting just one car so I know once I'm done with it that I've perfected it and can drift it extremely confidently online.

Now don't get me wrong, I do tune my cars a little bit, but that will only include removing ABS and TC, and changing the Final gear about 0.1 at max just to accomodate for the track, but tuning where you lower the car to 0.0001mm off the ground, max the power and reduce the weight by 15% is disgusting.

I'd like to know if anyone here shares my opinion, or would like to challenge it!

tuning is down to personal preference.but truth be told, there is a common formula with suspension settings amongst drifters with the highest drift trial scores, it takes time to figure these settings out but there is most definatly a base formula to contend for a top 1-8 overall drift trial score, i myself use to contend for top scores but hav'nt done dt's in over a year, i think i still have a score in the top 10 somewhere at suzuka east and im thinking about getting back into it.......I too have seen those youtube vids about "how to setup a drift car" and found them quite amusing...if your drifting for fun, then basicaly anything rwd or 4wd will drift well with a higher power output, weight reduction, slight tuning to gear ratio's and a set of radial tyres (n1-n3)

Last edited:
You kinda got it backwards in a way, it's not that they/we tune all the cars to handle the same, more that we tune them to our liking and really there's only going to be one way we like it. Think of it less as tuning to handle the same and more of tuning to react the same.

You kinda got it backwards in a way, it's not that they/we tune all the cars to handle the same, more that we tune them to our liking and really there's only going to be one way we like it. Think of it less as tuning to handle the same and more of tuning to react the same.

I kind of like the way you've put it but I still really think the most fun in drifting is learning how each car reacts differently, and catering for that.

tuning, and modding the heck out of the car is at the heart of drift racing. Take the blitz skyline for exsample, its not even close to a stock skyline. Its been gutted, dropped to the ground, fitted with coilovers and bigger brakes, larger turbo and converted to RWD. Its not just had the center diff lock out, but has acompletly aftermarket sequential transmission.
What i dont like to see is anything not RWD in the drift trials.
Theres not a singal car in D1GP thats not RWD, some are based on awd cars but all have been converted to RWD. Id also like to see PD take points away for erratic sterring inputs, and more points for longer drifts. Driftings also about style, if youre front tires are flopping back and forth at 4bazzillion mailes and hour it dosnt look as good.(I mean i do it some times but im not that good yet) Also big long slides look better than rappidly flicking the car back and forth to keep the points adding up, you should aim to make the fewest transitions as possable.
Well thats my 2 cents.

tuning, and modding the heck out of the car is at the heart of drift racing. Take the blitz skyline for exsample, its not even close to a stock skyline. Its been gutted, dropped to the ground, fitted with coilovers and bigger brakes, larger turbo and converted to RWD. Its not just had the center diff lock out, but has acompletly aftermarket sequential transmission.
What i dont like to see is anything not RWD in the drift trials.
Theres not a singal car in D1GP thats not RWD, some are based on awd cars but all have been converted to RWD. Id also like to see PD take points away for erratic sterring inputs, and more points for longer drifts. Driftings also about style, if youre front tires are flopping back and forth at 4bazzillion mailes and hour it dosnt look as good.(I mean i do it some times but im not that good yet) Also big long slides look better than rappidly flicking the car back and forth to keep the points adding up, you should aim to make the fewest transitions as possable.
Well thats my 2 cents.

I agree with you on your second point, I'm sick and tired of seeing top 100 score drift trials who are pad drifters that just floor the throttle and rely entirely on flicking countersteer to keep it going, and the car moves in the ugliest motion...

reminds me to much of the guys in NFSU2 that used fwd cars and held the E-brake then flopped the car all over the place. Thats not a drift.

Back