Your proposal for advanced Sixaxis controls in GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter shirakawaa
  • 29 comments
  • 6,094 views

shirakawaa

Premium
Messages
5,033
Japan
Japan
Since it appears that in GT5 there will be more controls than in past games, I guess that while we wait for the full game to come out, we can come out with Sixaxis controller configurations for those who don't have a wheel or are still undecided whether to but one or not.

Personally, this is my idea. It includes a way of controlling the clutch with a controller in a precise manner by using the right stick.

controllerg.jpg


Another way of controlling the clutch not shown here that would leave the right stick for other things, such as viewpoint control, would be using the gear shift buttons themselves in a three-step fashion (Hold down: pre-engage gear; adjust pressure: clutch control; release: engage gear, disengage clutch).
Also, as the select (shift button here) button is not much used, several other secondary options could be added.

What about your Sixaxis/Dualshock controller configuration proposal anyway?
 
Easy, buy a G27 👍
 
Using the right joystick for clutch and square + cross for shifting gears would be impossible, since you would need your right thumb for both actions.
 
Reims_
Easy, buy a G27 👍
I'll consider buying one only when I'll be sure there will be official support for it in GT5 :)
But I'm still not sure about it (or a DFGT even), because night play would be difficult as much noise would be made while using the wheel.

Besides, being able to control all those things with a Sixaxis/Dualshock 3 would be interesting and rewarding in many ways. With my controller configuration proposal it would be possible without too many efforts.

eXon-Rampage
Using the right joystick for clutch and square + cross for shifting gears would be impossible, since you would need your right thumb for both actions.
Now, this is the fun part.
Normally, gears are engaged only when the clutch is fully depressed, right?
When you push the right stick all the way up to "depress the clutch", the stick itself is very close to the cross and square buttons and it's very easy to push them with the back (X button) or the side (Square button) of the thumb. Try that, it's not hard at all!
 
not a fan of that layout. Not that it matter as i've got a wheel now so...lol. For gearing i used the right analog stick
 
Your turn signals are back to front
 
barryl85 you're avatar truly gave me laughs :lol: thanks man!
 
You gotta do a 5 finger shuffle to use the triggers for brake/throttle and then steer with the left stick! No thanks, when I use a pad, right stick is also my thottle/brake.

Hard to steer precisely and use the triggers for me.
 
Your turn signals are back to front
Whoops, you're right! They are supposed to be configured the opposite way (left for left turn signal, right for right turn signal).

You gotta do a 5 finger shuffle to use the triggers for brake/throttle and then steer with the left stick! No thanks, when I use a pad, right stick is also my thottle/brake.

Hard to steer precisely and use the triggers for me.
In the Time Trial (I don't have GT5P) I used the triggers for brake/throttle and I found them nice to control.
They also allow to hit brake and throttle together for some tricks ("left foot braking") or reducing the lag time between WOT and full braking, compared to using the right stick.
 
I think the gear up should be the right analogue stick pushed up and gear down, down
 

Yeah my DFGT is really loud but the steering wheel on my G27 is amazingly quiet. The only noise it makes is from the clutch pedal getting dropped and fast gear changes. But like you said, it may not be fully supported by GT5.

Having a clutch pedal and a steering wheel increased my enjoyment tenfold. I highly recommend one 👍
 
G27 is fully supported. Even in the time trial, the shift lights all worked. That's something PD would have had to go out of their way to code in
 
Well there you go, no excuses now Akira :lol:


The steering wheel is wrapped in leather too. Fantastic product.
 
Reims_
Having a clutch pedal and a steering wheel increased my enjoyment tenfold. I highly recommend one 👍
However many people like to pretend they are sat behind the wheel of a real car, there will always be people who are happy playing the game with a pad. Whenever I play with a wheel, it actually decreases my enjoyment of the game.
 
There's the noise and space factor too.
Many people can't make much noise (especially during late hours) or don't have much space to set or store the wheel/pedals gear.
Anyway, this was supposed to be a thread for joypad controller configurations including as many controls as possible in a possibly ergonomic manner :lol:
 
Mr Frappy
However many people like to pretend they are sat behind the wheel of a real car, there will always be people who are happy playing the game with a pad. Whenever I play with a wheel, it actually decreases my enjoyment of the game.

just interested as to why it decreases.
 
Using the motion sensor of the pad for look left-right, and look to apex would be a cool thing to add in

Those are hard to do when you trying to be precise during a turn. Leaning left/right feels natural too
 
True, I didn't think of that. That would be useful on a pad configuration with so many controls already used. The motion sensor is really an underused feature in PS3 games.
 
There's the noise and space factor too.
Many people can't make much noise (especially during late hours) or don't have much space to set or store the wheel/pedals gear.
Anyway, this was supposed to be a thread for joypad controller configurations including as many controls as possible in a possibly ergonomic manner :lol:

Switch to the pad during late hours then.
If you drive for fun and enjoyment, a G27 will kick the pad. Just cruising around in a pad feels lame.
There is no feedback with pads. Makes feeling what the car is doing already harder then it is without GForces. Every bit helps.

If you use a pad then forget about having fun with Pro Physics then, especially for long races :)
 
just interested as to why it decreases.
Call it "stuck in my ways", but I just prefer the responsiveness I am able to achieve with the pad, along with the convenience. I've used wheels a couple of times now, and each time I sold them after a week. Sure, for feathering out of corners and being able to hold a steady line around long sweeping curves, a wheel is great. Countering that is the noise they make and the room they take up. I also don't take gaming too seriously, and using a wheel just seems like overkill for what it is - a game. To that end, I find it highly amusing when people go telling you how lame it is driving with a pad and how you can kiss goodbye to pro physics... It's pathetic. People can play the game however they want, and personally, I will not be using pro physics. Not because I'm using a pad, but because I just race around for a bit of fun, not some serious challenge.

If money was no object and I could dedicate a room and triple screen dual cockpit setup to the game for local multiplayer action I might do, but until then, pad it is...and they don't come much nicer than the white one in the original post!
 
Nvm.
 
Last edited:
Well anyway back on topic, I quite like the Forza way of up/downshifting with square and circle and accelerating/braking with R2 and L2 but I think including a clutch button to this is overkill and you're better off getting a wheel.

Also, I think there's a HKS pad out that allows you to heel toe with your fingers :confused:
 
I don't get why they dont let us use L1 and R1 as say shift and control. You could have L1 + Up, Right, Down, Left R1 + Up, ... . You gain 8 buttons minus 2 for L1 + R1 which would make 6 extra buttons.
 
I'll be using the D-Pad to steer, the face buttons for accelerate/brake and L1 and R1 for gears.
 
I don't get why they dont let us use L1 and R1 as say shift and control. You could have L1 + Up, Right, Down, Left R1 + Up, ... . You gain 8 buttons minus 2 for L1 + R1 which would make 6 extra buttons.

Maybe having a "shift" button in addition to a "control" button would be a bit excessive, but I would welcome very much the addition of a button to be used in combination with others to increase the possible control choices. It would work great for wheels too, especially those that don't have as many buttons as the DFGT.
 
Just been trying something out on GT5P:

When I play rfactor on my laptop I use the keyboard for just driving some laps. And heel and toe is pretty easy when using the keyboard. With A being the throttle, Z the brake and Q the clutch, you can while braking (Z) press Q for clutch followed quickly by throttle A and at the same time downshift with the right ALT (Gr). This works very effectively (offcourse not the precision as on pedal).

I've tried the same settings on the controller for GT5P. Square for throttle, Cross for brake and triangle as clutch. Mind you triangle stays reverse but it can be used to test this, since pressing triangle does nothing untill stopped. So when braking (Cross) with the bottom of your thumb, you can do the same as in rfactor and press triangle for clutch followed by square for a dab of throttle with the upper top of the thumb and a downshift with L2. Altough GT5P does autoblip for you, it works good to just feel how easy it could be to have a clutch button. After about 10 laps it works smooth and you can use it for upshifting also by letting go of the throttle and pressing triangle while upshifting.

Now I really hope they can add clutch as a button for the controllers.
 
I use the normal setting, almost. L1 and R1 are for side views, Circle for back view (thus losing the hand brake, which I never use). L3 opens the dial, and the D-Pad navigates it.

Funny thing is, I can be very smooth with this. Steering under control, acceleration in 10% increments, with the brake a bit more brutish, as the first press goes to 33% min (can't use a lever movement that well with the Square's position).

Being able to play GT4 on my fatty beauty, I discovered the DS3 is a LOT more sensitive than the DS2. If I use a GT5P 10% pressure, GT4 gives me a 15+% response.

A bit of OT... Is it possible to use a DFGT in GT4 on R/C PS3 ? I didn't search that much but maybe someone can shed a light.
 
X and Square, for me.. will forever be throttle and Brake..
 
I will try different setups, and while Akira's setup looks difficult, I have always loved the right stick throttle/brake. It just feels so perfect for your hands. The only changes I make are the left and right stick (L3 and R3) clicks are look left and look right, but with head tracking, I'm not sure how much I'll need that anymore.
 
Back