Your teams chances of winning the Presidents Trophy?

• Thread starter Pyle_PMG
  • 1 comments

Pyle_PMG

A Real Homer
Premium
Canada
Canada
Why will your favorite team win the presidents trophy? Why might they not?

The Montreal Canadiens, my team, have a chance to win the Presidents Trophy because of their speed and grit. However, they can easily not make the playoffs if they don't get their goalie situation settled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I'm a Habs fan too and this team has absolutely no chance at all of winning the President's trophy (also, what grit?). They simply can not score. It's quite pathetic really, they can't win a game unless the goalie is spectacular. To beat the Penguins on Saturday, it took an incredible game by Carey Price to pull off the win.

The problem lies in the goalie defaulting to an average game. A goalie can't sustain incredible play for long (yes, even Halak, we saw what happened against Philly last spring), and when the goalie falls back to average games, the team has to be able to pot 3 or 4 goals. And the Montreal Canadiens are going to have tons of trouble with that this year. I don't think it's the players so much as the damn coach, Jacques Martin is convinced that a neutral zone trap is the best way to play, and in the first game against the Leafs, Jacques decided to run a trap while Montreal were down a goal. I really don't understand his coaching philosophy at times.

I think with this team, goaltending is the least of their worries. Price will be fine, he might not play as well as Halak would have, but he certainly won't be costing the team games, that's for sure. A goalie can be absolutely perfect, but if you don't score, you're not going to win, bottom line.

Back