Your thoughts on the "new" proposed qualifying rules

• Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 32 comments
Perhaps just when we thought the qualifying fiasco was behind us, Bernie has put his hand up to say he's not happy. Apart from essentially telling a number of teams that they're childish in wanting their advertisers to get more air time (as the current qualifying format neatly affords), Bernie has gotten high and come up with a great new idea - hat drawing!

That's right, qualifying will now be greatly revised. Cars will run together in a full car session where the best times will score World Championship points just like a race - 10 for "Pole", 8 for second and so on. However, then, these results will be discarded, and names will be randomly drawn from a hat to determine the starting order for the event proper come Sunday afternoon.

So what do you think of Bernie's new idea? Is he high as a kite or grounded like a Virgo?

I'm betting the former myself, and I think it's almost an insult to motorsport. Even if it will make for some more interesting races as Ferrari tries to recover from the back whilst Minardi struggles off pole, it's going to be dangerous. The fact remains that drivers cannot easily pass one another, thus to have cars leading a race that are normally 6 seconds a lap slower is going to result in frustration, half-hearted overtaking attempts and generally dangerous behaviour as drivers desperately try to catch up to where they should rightfully be.

If we take Michael out of the equation, we've seen some of the most fiercely contested racing I can recall lately - BAR and Renault have risen in leaps and bounds, Williams and McLaren are starting to get their stuff together a bit, each weekend there are at least 6 potential race winners. Why not just wait it out until Michael retires instead of implementing insane reforms?

I think FIA, the teams and Bernie all need to sit down and come up with something substantial in co-operation with each other. No more half-assed ideas from various corners over rules, regulations and formats - sit down and sort this **** out.

Eagle
So what do you think of Bernie's new idea? Is he high as a kite or grounded like a Virgo?
I'm going to have to agree with you. What's the point of even having qualifying if you just pick the starting order out of a hat? That is a completely and utterly ridiculous way to set the running order for a race. I have no problem with the current qualifying rules as they are except for the whole race fuel thing. I agree though, the FIA needs to sit down and decide what it wants to do about qualifying to make the races more interesting. Picking numbers at random out of a ten gallon hat is NOT the answer to this though.

Back