Your Top Albums of 2011Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 18 comments
  • 3,341 views

Cap'n Jack

Premium
Messages
10,419
Australia
South of the South
Messages
GoldMineGutted
I doubt any notable albums are going to come out on New Years Eve, so here's a thread to share your top albums of the year. We've had an interesting year for music releases, from Radiohead surprising their fans earlier this year with "The King of Limbs" to the Flaming Lips' releasing a 24 hour song and Rebecca Black's hit debut single "Friday". Just a few guidelines to start off with:

  • Obviously your picks must have been released in 2011
  • Please keep entries to albums only. No EPs, singles, compilations, soundtracks etc.
  • Keep your list to a reasonable length




Here we go with my top 5 picks of the year:

5. Taylor Hollingsworth - Where To Go, How To Get There and What You Should Know In Advance

taylorhollingsworthwtgh.png







4. Big Harp - White Hat

tumblr_ls0hs8KyRe1qzthreo1_r1_cover.jpg







3. Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man

tumblr_lwbvqlm0hf1r6uhfjo1_1324091804_cover.jpg







2. Bomb the Music Industry! - Vacation

c58a13.jpg







1. Bright Eyes - The People's Key

tumblr_lgmobqemRL1qb4lmho1_500.jpg


 
[*]Please keep entries to albums only. No EPs, singles, compilations, soundtracks etc.

Well, there goes Drum and Bass releases.
 
It's hard to make lists. To be honest I'd give all of these the top spot if I could! :P

  1. Company of Thieves - Death of Communication
  2. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
  3. Allen Stone - Self Titled
  4. Toro y Moi - Underneath the Pine
  5. La Dispute - Wildlife
  6. Aspidistrafly - A Little Fable
  7. The Antlers - Burst Apart
  8. Feist - Metals
  9. Asobi Seksu - Fluorescence
  10. Maritime - Human Hearts


Honorable Mentions
Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies
Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures

Washed Out - Within and Without


(Sorry if there are way too many videos)
 
I liked WW3 By Madina Lake .
 
No particular order, but these are the albums that stood out in my eyes.

The Kills- Blood Pressures
220px-Thekills_bloodpressures.jpg


Sparzanza - Folie a Cinq
11372626.jpg


Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You
220px-RHCP_I%27m_With_You_Cover.jpg


Megadeth - Thirteen
220px-MegadethThirteen.jpg


Anthrax - Worship Music
220px-Worship_Music.jpg
 
Definatly;
Megadeth-TH1RT3EN-300x300.jpg



&..

AnthraxWorshipMusic%281%29.jpg

 
I don't get much chance to look for music these days :( but a few I liked this year:
Bon Iver
M83
Bombay Bicycle Club
SebastiAn

:)
 
One's that spring to mind, and in no order:

1. Kasabian - Velociraptor!
Velociraptor%21.jpg

Quite different from their previous offerings, but fresh and appealing nevertheless.

2. Florence + the Machine - Ceremonials
Ceremonials.png

Epically good album. Hardly a track I didn't enjoy.

3. Incubus - If not now, when?
If_not_now_when_album_cover.jpg

A bit softer and emo then I would have expected, but unmistakably Incubus.
 
SBTRKT - S/T
James Blake - S/T
Bon Iver - S/T
Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
The Antlers - Burst Apart
Arctic Monkeys - Suck It and See
Gil Scott Heron and Jamie XX - We're New Here
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Radiohead - The King of Limbs
Jay-Z and Kanye West - Watch The Throne
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
The Weeknd - House of Balloons/Thursday/Echoes of Silence
The Black Keys - El Camino

Biggest disappointment for me would be Drake - Take Care, really liked his first album but his second is a tad underwhelming.
 
[*]St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

I didn't follow too much new music this year, but I have to say this album is absolutely, strikingly epic.
 
Example - Playing In The Shadows
It's dark compared to his previous album, but he wanted to take his music in a different direction and I think this album worked better.
 
Let's see... What do I have that even came out in 2011? A lot of the albums I bought were from 2010-back.

6. Red Hot Chili Peppers- I'm With You
RHCP_I%27m_With_You_Cover.jpg


5. Nero- Welcome Reality
WelcomeReality.jpg



4. St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
StrangeMercy.jpg


3. Radiohead- The King of Limbs
The_king_of_limbs.jpg



2. Bright Eyes- The People's Key
Brighteyes_.jpg



1. The Joy Formidable- The Big Roar
Bigroar.jpg

 
Last edited:
It's hard to make lists. To be honest I'd give all of these the top spot if I could! :P

  1. La Dispute - Wildlife
Man, great album. I haven't listened to it enough though. Which reminds me, Touché Amoré's album "Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me" was another excellent album released this year.


Biggest disappointment for me would be Drake - Take Care, really liked his first album but his second is a tad underwhelming.
Biggest disappointment? I would have to go with "Hi-Five Soup!" from The Aquabats. I really enjoy their other albums, they're great fun and upbeat, but "Hi-Five Soup!" just seems to take the childishness too far. It kinda felt like taking a joke too far.
 
Last edited:
Well this is my Top five 2011 Releases.

dream-theater-a-dramatic-turn-of-events


Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

1313654771_edguy-age-of-the-joker-front-cover-by-eneas.jpg


Edguy - Age of the Joker

Opeth-Heritage-Cover-e1311708815287.jpg


Opeth - Heritage

Symphony_X_-_Iconoclast_artwork.jpg


Symphony X - Iconoclast

Foo-Fighters-Wasting-Light.jpg


Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
 
Here's my top 3:


600px-VNV_Nation_-_Automatic.jpg


VNV Nation - Automatic



Kasabian+Velociraptor.jpg


Kasabian - Velociraptor!



mogwai-hardore-will-never-die-but-you-will-cd-packshot-rockact55-LST081876_2-t.jpg


Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
 
In no specific order. Might edit in some more things as I go through my Spotify playlist.

SBTRKT - SBTRKT.

images


SBTRKT - Pharaohs, my favorite along with "Hold On" from this album.



M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.

M83-Hurry-Up-Were-Dreaming.jpg


M83 - Midnight City, which along with "Reunion" and "Raconte-Moi Un Histoire" are my favorite songs from the album.



The Rapture - In The Grace of Your Love.

images


The Rapture - In The Grace of Your Love, my favorite from that album along with "How Deep Is Your Love?".


The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts.

images


The Go! Team - Super Triangle, my favorite along with "Secretary Song" and "Voice Yr Choice".


That song as well as the video has got to be among the best songs/videos I've this year.

Justice - Audio, Video, Disco.

Audiovideodisco.jpg


Justice - Civilization, which goes as my favorite alongside Horsepower and New Lands.

​
 
Last edited:
Wiegert

Oh yes, forgot about that. "You're Lionel Ritchie" = awesome. 👍

I also forgot about Kaiser Chief's the Future is Medievil which was pretty good once you gave it a chance.
 
Sparzanza - Folie a Cinq
11372626.jpg

I get a big smile every time you mention this band. =)


Puscifer - Conditions of my Parole
51TZn%2BBPrHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg


Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
51%2Bzz-N7GmL.jpg


Red Fang - Murder the Mountains
Red-Fang-Murder-The-Mountains.jpg


Black Pyramid - II
BLACK-PYRAMID_II_album_cover-1024x1024.jpg


Black Pyramid - Stormbringer
Black-Pyramid-Animated-cover.jpg


Tia Carrera - Cosmic Priestess
cosmic-priestess-tia-carrera.jpg


Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon
cart.php


There are a few others (Yob, Lo Pan, The Gates of Slumber, Black Cobra, Orchid, Sparzanza, Wo Fat, Sungrazer..) the list really goes on and on.

I didn't really realize what a great year this was, I guess I was so focused on being majorly disappointed with the Dream Theater and Mastodon albums I forgot about how perfect everything else was.
 
Back