Youtube Crash video hurtful?

Scotland
Scotland
A woman who was badly injured in a motorway collision last night criticised website YouTube for showing footage of the crash.

Carol Van Heerden was hospitalised for a week after her Mercedes ploughed into a Ford Mondeo broken down in the fast lane of the M55 in Lancashire.

The smash was filmed by an onlooker on the hard shoulder - which led Carol to speculate it may have been caused on purpose. And although police have ruled out any "staging", she claims she was distracted by seeing someone using the camera.

The film shows cars swerving around the Mondeo, then Carol's blue Mercedes crashing into the back of it, spinning into another car and others screeching to a halt.

The person behind the camera runs on to the carriageway and films injured Carol through the window of her wrecked car.

Comedienne Carol, 36, from Thornton, Lancashire, suffered four broken ribs and heavy bruising to her legs and hands.

The footage has been viewed 3,000 times and comments include a jibe at "women drivers" and one calling the collision "a belter".

Carol said: "YouTube should take this down. It is offensive, hurtful and cruel."

YouTube said the site is policed for "inappropriate content" but it will not be removing the clip.

So She notices a guy standing at the side of the road yet fails to see a Ford Mondeo broken down right in front of her.....right then.

Also in the video it appears she makes no attempt what so ever to avoid it ether :confused:

Without more details, it's impossible to tell if this was actually staged or not. IMO, one thing's for sure. The person with the camera was trying to track and tape a car that was going to slam into it.

I think the lady is right to suspect something here.

So She notices a guy standing at the side of the road yet fails to see a Ford Mondeo broken down right in front of her.....right then.

Also in the video it appears she makes no attempt what so ever to avoid it ether :confused:
Actually, she does.

I'm a very careful driver, and usually are focusing on (easily) two, three cars ahead of me, when I'm driving on a freeway. I'm also the first one to curse(quietly ;) ) and criticize dumb drivers, especially the one's that doesn't pay attention around them.

HAVING SAID THAT, nobody in the world is alert while driving all the time. In the footage, they seemed to be going around 60 miles an hour(roughly 100 km/h). At that kind of speed, all it takes is a few seconds of distraction, then it's too late. Again, the lady does try to swerve away from the stranded car, but it was way too late. Also, there was a car right next to her until the very last few moments.

Actually, she does.
how so? it appears to be a straight road so obviously you are going to see a car in front of you,if you did wouldnt you slow down and pull out of the lane?

if you pause at at 1 second you can see the 3 cars side by side,about .5 later she is ahead of the car in the middle lane(so shes accelerating).At 4 seconds she hits the mondeo with her car still clearly in lane 3(picture in link below shows that ;) ) and a few car lenths ahead of the other cars which shows she was not slowing down.so what was stopping her from pulling out of the lane between 1.5 and 4 seconds? :confused:

another article on it here
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpool-news/Shock-at-internet-crash-film.3244401.jp

Yeah, that was pretty nasty. It's kind of strange to have some guy filming the whole thing. I just hope nobody was in the Mondeo.

I think the lady could've slammed on the brakes many car-lengths back. She was trying to go in the next lane instead. That would've been a stupid move because the person behind her would've probably slammed into the car next.

Of course, the real person to blame is the Mondeo owner who parked on the wrong side of the road and left the car jutting into traffic.

That very first blue car didn't have any trouble avoiding the broken down car. There are much more distracting things on a freeway than a dude with a camera.

The first blue car didn't have someone blocking the middle lane.

I think that the woman driving the CLK and the idiot in the Mondeo are both equally at fault, one for parking your car in the middle of a highway, and the other for staring at an idiot with a camera instead of watching the road ahead.

how so? it appears to be a straight road so obviously you are going to see a car in front of you,if you did wouldnt you slow down and pull out of the lane?

if you pause at at 1 second you can see the 3 cars side by side,about .5 later she is ahead of the car in the middle lane(so shes accelerating).At 4 seconds she hits the mondeo with her car still clearly in lane 3(picture in link below shows that ;) ) and a few car lenths ahead of the other cars which shows she was not slowing down.so what was stopping her from pulling out of the lane between 1.5 and 4 seconds? :confused:

another article on it here
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpool-news/Shock-at-internet-crash-film.3244401.jp
If your focus is toward the side of the freeway, yes, you might still see the stalled car in your lane from the corner of your eyes. However, IMO, for a very critical moment, you might think the car is just another car in your lane, traveling at normal speeds.

On slowing down and changing the lane, I guess, if you are a good driver. She actually does try to go around it though.

Do watch the video again and see how quickly everything happens. The Mercedes is pretty far away at the beginning of the video. Just in about two seconds, it's passed sort of a "point of no return". It would be too late to brake, there is a car almost directly next to you in the next lane. Another two seconds later, impact.

If you are older female driver(excuse me for sounding bit sexist, also for my stereotyping), this wreck really does not surprise me at all. 0%.

1) She notices dudes hanging out on the side of the freeway.

2) She notices the car that she saw ahead in her lane just few seconds ago is actually stationary. In the fast lane.

3) She looks over to her left to move over a lane, but there is another car there.

4) This is where I'm bit lost. Does she speed up, or do the other cars slow down? Could be both. My guess is that she did speed up(brilliant) in attemp to pass the car next to her, then go around the Mondeo.

At 4 seconds she hits the mondeo with her car still clearly in lane 3(picture in link below shows that ;) )
Yes, she didn't quite make it out of her lane, but she did try to go to her left. The car she hit was just partially in lane 3(other half on the right of the lane), and that maybe why it looks like she did not attempt to avoid it?

After watching that my only comment is "Holy shi-"

That video is one of the worst accident videos I've ever seen.

After watching that my only comment is "Holy shi-"

That video is one of the worst accident videos I've ever seen.
You haven't checked out much on youtube then. I think there was one where a vehicle runs a red light, t-boning another car. Car that was hit rolls over a pedestrian? I was like this: :scared:

Regardless of the details behind the accident, I think that it's plain wrong for YouTube to continue to host a video where the person involved specifically requested it to be removed. Indeed, the fact that any random strangers can post video footage of you without your permission is creepy in the first place, but probably unavoidable - however, if a person is shown in a video without their permission, then they should be allowed to demand that the video is removed.

As a recent case of a video involving a teacher in the US has proved, however, once the video is online, it's very difficult (if not impossible) to rid the internet of the video completely. But YouTube is the most prominent site of this type and they should at the very least respect the rights (including the right to privacy) of the people involved in the videos..

As for the accident itself, I reckon that a6m5 has hit the nail on the head... what possible reason would these guys have of filming the traffic at that point if it wasn't 'in the hope' that they'd see an accident? There is only three possibilities: they staged it (no evidence for that, plus it would be incredibly hard to actually do), they were filming randomly (very likely, however strange) or they were filming 'randomly' in the hope that they'd see something... again, without further details, we don't know... but how come they've happened to be stopped at the same place as someone who has broken down in the fast lane? That just seems too 'random' to be random...

That was pretty scary. Hitting a car like that has got to hurt! :crazy: But the question it, who in their 🤬 mind would park a car there? (with no indication of it being broken down) Whats more disturbing is that was the guy in the camera staged it? I think its quite likely. If i was that woman (if she is telling the truth) i should sue this guy!!!!

Back