**Z06 v. GT-R**

Messages
6
United States
Chicago
Messages
GTP_FLOOD
I'm certain this thread has been done. Numerous times. I'm new to the forum and I want to find some results for myself. Besides, we all know the battle will never cease. It's like EVO v. WRX and CAMARO v MUSTANG, or GOOD v EVIL.

I want to find out for myself which is more evil.

As we speak, I'm buying two cars. I went to the dealership. It smelled of crisp rubber shined up with armor-all and velour upholstery. A great place it is, this bazaar of vehicles; a likeness to the mall of america, but of automotive selection. "After the Rain", The perfect lounge jazz spend-your-millions-here song plays through the halls. A fake man in a fake suit standing complacent in front of an ideological Nissan dealer, with a affirmative nod and hand gesture, invites me in to bear witness to the astounding selection of cars. I already know what I want but I humor him exercising his Nissan knowledge by reading the descriptions of the cars which made Nissan famous. (for the sake of brevity, I'll refrain from pouring over these in detail)

Wait, I see it. "I'm holding a race between two cars," I say. "That's the one that will be run." It's sitting in the studio, in Dark Metal Gray Metallic, perfect lighting, not a single mile on it. In fact, until ignition inside the dealership, it hadn't ever been moved under it's own power since it's departure from the Tochigi factory.

It's theorized that the most critical part of a cars life is engine break-in, the first 500 miles or so.:sly: I give it an oil change and park it in my garage. For such a fantastic car, it appears modest sitting next to the lot of cars I have else parked next to it; the next last acquired being a Lamborghini SuperVeloce, which I painted Matte Light Green, purchased the Aeroback kit and replaced the wheels on. That's all well, but the SV Murc is in a class of it's own. It was purchased to be a laugh. It's existence in my garage is as, and I give credit to the Top Gear presenters for this, a rolling pantomime.
The GT-R has business to take care of. We'll get to this later. I need to get back to the dealer.

I've been to the Chevrolet dealer before. The sales people know me quite well there, as I've purchased a number of Corvettes for varying applications. I've found that this chassis, particularly the '06 Z06 chassis, once having spent a signifigant amount of time driving and tuning it, can be very good. The Z06 shares with the GT-R it's rear-transaxle setup, but with a larger, heavier engine up front, both cars have a similar standing weight balance.

If you believe that this may make me biased towards the Corvette,
you'd be correct. But damned I'll be if I let that get in the way of a race like this.

"Night Birds" plays across the dealership. IRL, my girlfriend and I have spent time together dancing to the jazz in this game. If for absolutely no other reason, one will like this game because of the music. The entire GT series. But I'm preaching to the choir.

I buy a silver one, for the sake of not having enough silver-hue'd colors in my paint list:rolleyes:. It sounds like I know it does, and I drive it over and get it an oil change. (HOW AWESOME WOULD IT BE IF YOU ACTUALLY HAD TO DRIVE TO THE DEALER AND GT AUTO, OH GOD LIFE COMPLETE)

Okay, enough with the pleasantries, let's check the figures.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a AWDer. I like to believe I know exactly what each wheel on my car is doing at all times. But there's so much rave with the GT-R that I can't help myself:

-----------------THE CONTENDERS----------------------------------------

-Nissan '07 GT-R
Nearly 500 horsepowers
450 torques.
But it's a heavy beast, at 1740kg.
The 3.8L twin-turbo RB38DETT V6 powering an AWD system

-Chevrolet '06 Corvette Z06
Just over 500 horses
and 480 torques.
More power, more torque, and
Lighter, @ 1420kg
A Chevy 7.0L naturally aspirated LS7 V8 powering the rear-mounted 6-speed transaxle.

*Both cars are being run with ONLY ABS set to 1, with brake balance set to 4F and 1R. No other driver aids are on. The laps will be done with NO HUD, NO MAP, but WITH TIMERS. Sports Hard tires are equipped on both cars. The grip is set to real(not that I plan on running off course or hitting anything) and the damage is set to heavy. At this point, this is the only thing I'm looking for, a juxtaposition of the two cars.
*If I find that one cars excels over another with ease on a power circuit liek this, I'll make another race between them on an auto-cross circuit.
I'm using a DFGT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using the Top Gear Test Track to do these runs. I'll run as many laps as I need to to get a feel for how they drive, and may the best lap win.
I decide to drive the GT-R first. I'll be switching back and fourth between to really feel the difference.
IMAG0270.jpg

This is what I came up with.

The GT-R is at least 1 second faster around the Top Gear Track. And this is after time and time again of running both cars on the track. Like I said, I ran the GT-R first. And I set a lap. and then I had some fun it in.
I grabbed the Z06, drove it round the track and got some times. They didn't beat the GT-R. As you can tell from the disparity in the times of the races that I'd spent much more time with the 'Vette, only to realize that the GT-R was fast around the track. With quite a lot of ease, as well.

The Corvette felt like I was trying to walk a tightrope between the Two Towers. And when I made those lap times, each one felt like an accomplishment. I got that car around that track without figuratively killing myself or anybody else. I ACHIEVED those times with the Corvette. And afterwards, my palms were sweaty and my heart was beating up, I took a deep breath, and SIGHED out that I hadn't beaten the GT-R around the track.
By an ENTIRE SECOND.
It felt like I was going so much faster. Like if speed and fast lap times were a cliff, and to get to the very edge of that cliff and decide, "I don't want to go any further," is what is felt like to drive that Corvette around the track. It would be a great T-shirt idea, "I drove a Corvette on the edge of a cliff and all I got were these horrible sweat stains and this terrible T-shirt."
A bit wordy, but it works. The tail end is incredibly lively on acceleration. Under braking, that car stays along the slot you're imagining it driving within to a T. But once you try to power through a corner, you've become the next first candidate in line for Fast 5 auditions as a stunt driver. No matter how hard you're trying to drive the thing, with it's tail-happy suspension setup from the factory, you have no choice but to be on your toes. And I mean that literally: anybody racing with a wheel will quickly understand what I'm talking about. Having a spasm in your large toe in the middle of a corner can mean life or death in this thing. Or, depending on how adventurous you are, a hell of a lot of fun sliding it around bends.

The GT-R, it was sure quick. Purposefully trying to break this car's traction while travelling in a straight line is essentially like trying to derail a train with a stick between the spokes. Yes, I know, trains don't have spokes. I doesn't matter. This car feels like it's created it's own gravitational field and is held onto the pavement by some unexplainable physics technical jargon. Which, I'm sure if you asked and Nissan fanboy, they'd tell you it is. No doubt in my mind that this car is faster around the top gear track than the Z06. The only time you can get the tires broken from their lock on the ground is under braking, when the back will kick out, and you immediately enter into a powerslide, and you feel like you might if you were Ken Block. But as soon as you let off, the electronic wizardry takes over, and you're right back in line. Great power circuit racing. But not so much on driver satisfaction. This car feels like how cars on Gran Turismo games of yore used to feel: you point it in a direction, and it goes. You get a little bit of drama out of the tires, that classic GT tire howl that we all know and love, but you're right back into line and off to win the race. But that podium, to me, it feels like a win by default. My able legs ran a race full only with people with handicaps. It's not satisfying.

The GT-R is faster. But I think the car was designed in real life to be great in games like gran turismo. It's comparing an 8MP point-and-shoot to an 8MP DSLR. One's easy to use and more practical. The other requires a deliberate, knowledgeable touch, but the pictures that come out seem to express so much more.

I acknowlege again my bias towards the Corvette. And I also acknowlege that the GT-R is a faster car around the Top Gear Test Track. But when I go back and watch the replays of all the times I attempted, there's no doubt in my head which one will be more entertaining.
 
Videos or this needs to be moved.
 


Embedded the videos for ya. You just have to take the bits after the v= and before the &feature ?hd stuff (if there is).

And to answer your question, you need a capture card. There's that "HDPVR" I heard of. But some people also recorded from phones like yours and the quality is still good enough too.
 
Back