Z4 GT3 Suspension Setting

• Thread starter kelrick85
  • 9 comments
Canada
Ottawa, ON
kelrick85
Hello,

I just bought BMW Z4 GT3 and was so excited to drive it around the ring. Unfortunately I couldn't get a handle on the car as well as I hoped. The handling seemed very twitchy and I span out as soon as I got on the curbs. Comparing with the M3 GT2 cars, I found the Z4 much harder to drive.

I was looking through the settings, and I think this has to do with the suspension settings, which I have very little understanding of. I was wondering if anyone played around with it to improve the handling, or if somehow the default setting is fine and I'm the one not handling it correctly?

I was driving it as purchased through the dealership, no tuning. The tires were racing hard.

Thanks for the link.

Does everyone else drive the Z4 GT3 stock? I assume many of you have driven it, nobody has problem with its default settings?

Default was way too twitchy under braking, for some reason the default race car have very aggressive toe and camber setup. I dialed down the front camber and up the deceleration locking of the diff and its much more driveable.

Its a racecar, adjustable suspension can help you out...

Surprisingly not me, maybe cause its an FR car and not MR so default settings with FR cars are much more controllable than MR cars. The M3 GT and Z4 GT3, I took em around Ascari to hear the exhaust, I didn't find any issues, maybe a hint of oversteer at times but completely controllable.

If anything, use that link, or tighten your rear springs and lower the front ride height. Negative camber on rear tires work as well.

Thanks for the link.

Does everyone else drive the Z4 GT3 stock? I assume many of you have driven it, nobody has problem with its default settings?

Just finished the GT3 Championship with it, it was a bit difficult to drive, regretted my purchase as I was torn between it and the M3. I don't tune as I mostly end up making it worse. But it was twitchy under braking, slow on straights, the AI (R8, M4) gained on me on all straights, I was only able to win because of the AI slowing.

I'll try the tune above and do over the championship because with all that was wrong with it it was finally great to be doing a race and being driving in a pack for the whole race, avoiding AI pit maneuvers and trying to keep the car under control.

[Edit]
Just redid the Spa race, was like I was in a totally different car. The thing felt great, was stable under braking, just rotated through the corners and it wasn't a slouch on the straights. I won by over 8 seconds, minor spin on lap 4, previously I had won by no more than a second or two in the whole championship. It did took way the excitement of pack driving though

Last edited:
I first used the car as Silverstone GP. The front and rear spring rates felt way too hard for me.
Started by droping both by 10 clicks and went from there. Have'nt drivern the ring with it yet.
Think I'll try it after I get home from work and the gym. But I love that car.

I first used the car as Silverstone GP. The front and rear spring rates felt way too hard for me.
Started by droping both by 10 clicks and went from there. Have'nt drivern the ring with it yet.
Think I'll try it after I get home from work and the gym. But I love that car.

This car is so squirly! Every time I'm in a long fast corner the back end comes out!!! Anybody try anything to stop this???

This car is so squirly! Every time I'm in a long fast corner the back end comes out!!! Anybody try anything to stop this???

I had some success running at Bathurst. I broke the suspention down by starting with everything at it lowest setting.
Same for LSD and down force. Also, set the gears to 160 top speed or close to that. Then space them by moving the slider to the left. Make them as close to the same lenght apart as possiable. Then set the final gear ratio so that it spreads the gears out to the right. Keep adding spring rate, damper and anti roll until it feels good to you.
Camber setting can be 2.5 front and 1.5 rear. Toe on front is -0.10 at the rear is +0.20

I found setting the LDS to 8-10-10 top to bottom helped me tighten up the rear end. Bottom line; I worked with it until I was turning 2:05's. Use my settings as a base, then work to find what is best for you. Also, make sure you balance he weight. As is the car has a 48 front 52 rear weight bais.

Add enough weight to make it at least 49-51. If you add enough ballast to make it 50-50, then you should upgrade the engine for sure. Then add a turbo (level one or two) in you want. Hope this helps you a little.

Ok I'm doing what you said. I took downforce down, followed your trans recommendations, took dampers and anti roll all down to 2, while I moved the spring rate down to 16/15.4

Also adjusted ride height to 60/60

I ran a 2:10 first time out

Still some instability under braking so I am adjusted my 3rd LSD number from 10 to 20....then I adjusted my anti roll bars to 3 on front and rear and my compression to 1 and 1.....still working on it....but the car is loads easier to control....

So when I start to add downforce the what should I be adding to compensate?

Latest Posts

Back