Zen and the loss of sound

United States
United States
This is not a thread complaining about the loss of sound after recent updates.

Like a lot of people I lost all sound except for engine sounds last night in Daily Race C. When the first race with only engine sound started I was a bit worried that I would be sliding all over the place and have a miserable race. I usually have tire sounds turned up so I have another layer of information to help me drive. To my surprise, my driving was fine. It took me one or two cautious laps to realize that the lack of tire noise made no difference. I was setting the same lap times and wasn't sliding any more than normal.

The bigger surprise happened a few laps later. Without hearing any tire noise, it started to feel like overall grip was increased. I'm pretty sure nothing changed on the physics, but my senses were telling me "there's nothing to worry about and you can push harder." I think the tire noise was holding me back since it's an indicator that the car is on the edge and I need to be careful. Without sounding too corny, it was almost Zen-like to only hear the engine and have all other sounds removed. It was a very relaxed drive and everything felt easier.

Next race, still with only engine sounds, I decided to push a bit harder and my race pace was about 0.5 to 0.75 seconds per lap faster than normal. This was at Brands GP which I'm very familiar with and fairly consistent there as well. For my race pace to improve by over a half second is significant.

Has anyone else had a similar or opposing experience? Do you think the tire noises are too unrealistic to give decent feedback? Am I just too paranoid when I hear tires screech?

That’s a really intriguing perspective on the latest glitch, having it actually help than harm you. I can’t say about me because I haven’t done much online since the update, but while playing GT League I felt that the car was sliding less without the tire screech. Maybe it’s because Gran Turismo is infamous for its excessive tire noise, and not having the noise makes you feel like you need to correct the car less?

It's the opposite for me :(

Yesterday at 'Lagos I had the same misfortune of the sound bug biting me. If anything it made me even more paranoid since I don't know whether I'm the limit at all. I was off my pace by around 5/10ths during that racr.

Maybe it has to do with my driving style, since I don't 100% rely on physical markers. Brakes, yeah I always have physical markers for that. Turn-in, my markers are a mix of physical, a certain entry speed, and instinct. Finally my exit throttle is purely based on instinct. Now that I'm only being given half the info, I can't exactly rely on instinct anymore. Looking at the speedometer is sort of a good alternative to that, but it's not just suited for me. At the last turn of the race I almost spun out because I miscalculated my exit and the 911, snap-oversteered on me

Back