Zonda - fluttering brakes/acceleration

• Thread starter Restayvien
  • 7 comments
As the title says, my Zonda doesn't accelerate 'properly' in the first two gears, and when I brake the brakes sounds like they're 'fluttering' or maybe skipping is a better word. As if they're going on and off really quickly. My stopping times are not great, and the car spins very easily under braking regardless of toe/lsd settings.

I have absoloutely no idea why - the camper and toe levels are low (<1.5), the brake level doesn't seem to make a difference, and to make sure it wasn't just me loosing/regaining grip with the road I stuck some racing soft tyres on it.
No difference.
LSD doesn't seem to make a difference, I can't alter the downforce, the length of the gears doesn't effect it. !!?? :indiff:

It's unlikely to be my PS2 or controller as it doesn't happen with other cars, and I don't think it's anything I've done to it because IIRC it was like that stock.

Anyone able to help?

do you have your tcs turned off? try doin that and report back.... your case is an odd one. My zonda 7.3 accelerates like an over caffinated ferret after a quarter and its all stock except for the sports soft tires

"like an over caffeinated ferret after a quarter"

:lol:

Sounds like my Drag Cougar. 10.410 on the sauce. Of course, it weighs 1400kg after ballast and only has 505hp.

As the title says, my Zonda doesn't accelerate 'properly' in the first two gears, and when I brake the brakes sounds like they're 'fluttering' or maybe skipping is a better word. As if they're going on and off really quickly. My stopping times are not great, and the car spins very easily under braking regardless of toe/lsd settings.

I have absoloutely no idea why - the camper and toe levels are low (<1.5), the brake level doesn't seem to make a difference, and to make sure it wasn't just me loosing/regaining grip with the road I stuck some racing soft tyres on it.
No difference.
LSD doesn't seem to make a difference, I can't alter the downforce, the length of the gears doesn't effect it. !!?? :indiff:

It's unlikely to be my PS2 or controller as it doesn't happen with other cars, and I don't think it's anything I've done to it because IIRC it was like that stock.

Anyone able to help?

Sounds like a couple things are happening>

1. You've got a brake controller set way high. The higher you set this, the more the ABS tries to slow the car. In real-life, ABS produces a fluttery feeling in the pedal when it activates; PD is simply trying to re-create this in the game. Try setting your controller below 12, and see if this makes a difference. In fact, try setting your front brakes between 10 and 12 and your rear ones 6 clicks lower....this should help the car not spin under braking (tho since this is a mid-engine car, very high-speed braking will always be iffy no matter what your settings).

2. Sounds liek you also have TCS "ON" and also set too high, which is interfereing with your acceleration. I personally wouldn't use any TCS, but if you're having trouble with wheelspin, you can set it on "1" or 2.

You should not be using any toe at all if you want your Zonda to stop better. Toe should only be used as a last resort to get your steering and/or acceleration out of corners to respond as you'd like; but in all cases, toe also skews your wheels a tad, making them less responsive to braking. Camber of 1.5 is okay, though.

There is only one reason to the behaviour. It's a Zonda.

That car has notoriously bad brakes that you can't make better no matter what you do. You have two choices: 1) to have quite ineffective brakes that lock up, or 2) to have totally ineffective brakes that don't lock up. It's a lose-lose situation but the truth hurts sometimes.

The acceleration problem sounds like the TCS the others have already mentioned. While it makes the car easier to accelerate, it also takes away the power propelling it forward so it sounds like the perfect time to learn proper throttle control. 👍

do you have your tcs turned off? try doin that and report back.... your case is an odd one. My zonda 7.3 accelerates like an over caffinated ferret after a quarter and its all stock except for the sports soft tires

Yeah I do IIRC. :)

Sounds like a couple things are happening>

1. You've got a brake controller set way high. The higher you set this, the more the ABS tries to slow the car. In real-life, ABS produces a fluttery feeling in the pedal when it activates; PD is simply trying to re-create this in the game. Try setting your controller below 12, and see if this makes a difference. In fact, try setting your front brakes between 10 and 12 and your rear ones 6 clicks lower....this should help the car not spin under braking (tho since this is a mid-engine car, very high-speed braking will always be iffy no matter what your settings).
Thanks for the advice, IIRC I did try lowering the BC to around 12, but not lower. I'll give it another go. 👍

2. Sounds liek you also have TCS "ON" and also set too high, which is interfereing with your acceleration. I personally wouldn't use any TCS, but if you're having trouble with wheelspin, you can set it on "1" or 2.
Nope, I did originally but turning it off didn't help much.

You should not be using any toe at all if you want your Zonda to stop better. Toe should only be used as a last resort to get your steering and/or acceleration out of corners to respond as you'd like; but in all cases, toe also skews your wheels a tad, making them less responsive to braking. Camber of 1.5 is okay, though.
Sure thing, cheers.

There is only one reason to the behaviour. It's a Zonda.

That car has notoriously bad brakes that you can't make better no matter what you do. You have two choices: 1) to have quite ineffective brakes that lock up, or 2) to have totally ineffective brakes that don't lock up. It's a lose-lose situation but the truth hurts sometimes.

The acceleration problem sounds like the TCS the others have already mentioned. While it makes the car easier to accelerate, it also takes away the power propelling it forward so it sounds like the perfect time to learn proper throttle control.
Lol, thanks Greycap. It does appear those might be my only options, we'll see I guess. :scared:

If/when I sort the problem out I'll post again. :)

I have had no such issues with my Zonda. Granted it goes like hell, but it bleeds off speed very quickly even on sports tires, the only problem being is that it has usually built up one hell of a head of steam by the time a corner runs up on you, and you're left with the binders clamped (thumb through the square or stick crammed all the way back.) and still needing more.

I think it comes from racing slower cars most of the time, and since the Zonda is so well mannered the whole, "Holy 🤬 I'm doing 160!" doesn't occur until you've got the tight right at the end of the straight on Fuji. (Which the computer's recommendation is worthless for, since you're in 6th or whatever and it just starts panicking, "OMG 2nd OMG OMG 2nd!" yeah, knowing that about 100 yards back would've helped.)

^ which is why I have spent a lot of time learning to know the braking points for most of cars. That's most likely one of the very few ways to stop an extremely fast car. And then there's the car's drivetrain layout that has quite a big effect on braking behaviour.

Latest Posts

Back