Zyla's Suzuki Reno - Modification Plans Now In OP.

• Thread starter Zyla
  • 81 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect her decision. I understand certain people dislike putting up with problematic cars, but I personally think that's what keeps the experience of it all so interesting. Although there are many other cars I would rather have for their reliability and performance, I still love the Reno for what it is. I plan on keeping it as long as I can.

Have thought about putting on a chrome grill? And the fog light area Not the real area but the area it was supposed to be but the area your brother cut out. And some rims yo lol

Have thought about putting on a chrome grill? And the fog light area Not the real area but the area it was supposed to be but the area your brother cut out. And some rims yo lol

Already had all of that in mind. The grille was originally chrome, but it was painted black by my brother. I'll be replacing it soon.

I recently took some pictures of it at dusk so you could see the interior when it's all lit up. :D

rj3Bm0o.jpg

Qy6fZLR.jpg

Fohx6AV.jpg

Never knew much about the earlier Daewoo Suzuki's, but I do admit that this is a pretty cool car. Considering that hatchbacks weren't really popular around the time this came out, it's something different. I do have to say though, those taillights look quite similar to a Mazda 6's. :lol:

Thanks! I personally enjoy that they're pretty uncommon. I like knowing I own something different.

Sorry for the inactivity for the past month. Nothing has really changed about the car because I haven't had the money to buy any parts for it. The only things that are different are the catalytic converter which got replaced, and an oil change. Other than that, she's still same as before. Hopefully I'll be purchasing some mods within the next few months.

Until then, here's a recent picture of the car:

b8XZYIe.jpg

Cool car man 👍 Kinda reminds me of a Chevrolet rip-off :lol: (I've seen a similar car with the Chevy badge)
And the headlights is kinda similar to my own car. Hope you don't mind me showing:
8719894113_afea72b6f6.jpg

:gtpflag:

Kinda reminds me of a Chevrolet rip-off :lol: (I've seen a similar car with the Chevy badge)
It's a rebadge of the Chevrolet Lacetti, which is sold in the UK. This particular model was built by GM Daewoo, so that's why it has some resemblance. 👍

It's a rebadge of the Chevrolet Lacetti, which is sold in the UK. This particular model was built by GM Daewoo, so that's why it has some resemblance. 👍

I knew I'd seen the car before 👍

So, yesterday, a massive winter storm hit and everything got covered in snow and ice. It was extremely cold as well so all the snow that got packed down on the roads froze over and became like butter on a hardwood kitchen floor. It displeases me to say that the Reno did suffer some of the side effects of this storm, and got a little banged up from it. As you can see in the picture, my hubcap has been shattered in a specific area (all the pieces fell out and left a hole). This was caused by the Reno losing all traction in a left turn at a miniscule 10mph (an idea of how slick the roads were) and sliding into the curb, followed by another impact several minutes later which involved hitting the curb at 30mph and bouncing off, then spinning 180 degrees. Utah winters are not something to write home about. It also doesn't help to have low pro tires made for the summer that basically turn into Matchbox car tires when cold. I had hardly any grip whatsoever.

Notice the red area on the lip of the rim from where I hit the "No Parking Zone." :(

11196277884_f80b684935_b.jpg

11196397773_02dfb900a7_b.jpg

She's still driving fine though, nothing else seems to be damaged. All I can say is I'm already in the mood for Spring. :P

Today I discovered that the broken hubcap is not all the Reno suffers after its little wipe-out two days ago, but that the front wheel that made contact with the curb was somehow affected on impact, and possibly even transferred some of the force through the axle, resulting in massive wheel wobble at high speeds. Even at low speeds, some mild wobbling was noticed. It almost seemed to "limp" like a dog with a sore limb. I can only hope that it's just simply been knocked out of alignment, and can easily be realigned. If not, then someone's wallet will soon be empty.

That was the plan to begin with, but the car has several mechanical priorities to see to before the fun of customization can commence. :P

Alrighty, so, back when I mentioned how the hubcap was broken, I started noticing some wobbling at high speeds. My dad and I had a look at the car and he concluded that the lack of weight in the hole in the hubcap (where it broke off) was enough to throw the wheel off-balance. Thinking his reasoning was totally plausible, I took the entire hubcap off and let my dad drive it. He got it up to about 60mph and claimed that there was no wobbling. I was glad to hear that, but I wasn't too fond of the fact that I'd be rolling on a bare steelie. So, I took the remaining hubcaps off to take away from the trashy look, and that only made things look worse, in my opinion. The next day, I was leaving school, and, I noticed some strong vibrations in the steering wheel. My first thoughts were that the car needed an alignment, and I also wondered why my dad had not felt said vibrations the previous day. Either way, the vibrations are still there, and the car cannot exceed 60mph without suffering the side effects of unaligned wheels. So now, the car's alignment is worse than before, possibly having a broken or bent strut, or tie rod, and it also has a bent rim. Think of how that ride quality would feel. But hey, that's not all, we've also discovered that the head gasket (which is most likely blown), and the serpentine belt are in need of replacement. My poor car is sick, and my lack of income is preventing me from repairing it. Gotta love being unemployed. No worries, though. The job hunting will continue after Christmas, and hopefully, yes, hopefully, the money will start to appear in my wallet. Until then, I'll just enjoy my car as she is. She's still a blast to drive, and she still looks lovely, despite being covered in salt and dirt from this dreadful Utah winter. I've provided pictures for you to look at to stay up-to-date with the cosmetic statistics of the car. Stay tuned for more updates in the future.

Look how dirty she is! I can't wait to wash her in Spring.
11315483546_df63e90843_b.jpg

11315544093_58e77675d1_b.jpg

11315485736_692fb9b6ef_b.jpg

How she looks on bare, black steelies. Not too bad I suppose.
11284251453_732a4af0ff_o.jpg

The blown head gasket I mentioned earlier. Look carefully and you will see the line of oil along the bottom of the valve cover.
11315464796_7845cc5a86_b.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Suzi! Both Bruiser and I wish her a speedy recovery. I also thinks she looks better with black steelies... but I'm a sucker for steelies anyway. :sly:

Surprisingly it's not all that bad. What sucks is having to wait for it to get fixed with my parents money.
Would be cheaper to do it yourself :D

Pretty easy fix. A bit time consuming, but easy if you can follow instructions.

It pains me to continue adding to the list of growing problems that Suzi's going through. I just can't help but notice how much different she is starting to feel since I started driving her. I've noticed that the gear shifts are slightly rougher, the throttle response is poor, and the brakes seem to be going out. I would imagine the strain of turning adds to the unaligned wheels and whatever I might have damaged in that area. The power steering certainly isn't as smooth as it used to be. It's all making me feel pretty bad. Knowing I don't have the money to fix anything on her isn't a very comfortable thought. However, I've received word from my dad that we will soon be purchasing a new gasket and serpentine belt, and maybe a timing belt if necessary. It's certainly better than nothing. I'm sure the new gasket will improve the throttle response, and the burning rubber smell from the slipping belt will thankfully come to an end. Anything that contributes to Suzi's well-being will satisfy me in the end, so even if this is a slow process, I'll still be making progress nonetheless.

I guess you say the Suzuki is on ICU until you guys replace the parts that are needed. After you guys get parts that are needed have you given seafoam a thought?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back