• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 39 comments

jjaisli

Software Driver
Premium
United States
The Ramapo Mountains
jjaisli
Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 19:00Hr GMT

Now it's official. :) Starting time will be 19:00hr GMT:
7:00 pm in the UK
8:00 pm Continental Europe
3:00 pm US EST (Daylight savings ends on Nov 1st)

On the heels of the 250 Testa Rossa event from October 17th, welcome to the 250 GTO version. You're looking at one of the most sought after Ferraris of all time: the 1962, 250 GTO (Grand Turismo Omologato). From it's debut at the 1962, 12 hours of Sebring, it went on to win the world manufacturer's championship 3 times, in 1962, 1963 & 1964. It was one of the last front engine cars to remain at the pinnacle of sports car racing before more modern mid engine designs became the norm. Compared to the Testa Rossa, this car is a bit quicker, has better stopping power and it's lower COG helps in the handling department. But make no mistake, this car is 47 years old and it shows. Tread lightly! :nervous:

250gto.jpg

The rules and format will stay the same from the 250TR event as I thought (lag aside) it generally worked out well. I will keep this an open lobby format and allow others to join in at will. If any of them are being PURPOSELY disruptive, they will be booted from the lobby in between sessions. But for the record, I don't consider mistakes an act of vengeance. :)

Races will follow the current Formula 1 points system:
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 8 points
3rd place: 6 points
4th place: 5 points
5th place: 4 points
6th place: 3 points
7th place: 2 points
8th place: 1 point
With an additional 1 point going to the fastest lap holder

The Lobby will be set up under my PSN ID: jjaisli about 5~10 minutes before the event starts with the following conditions:

TC: Off
ABS: Off
SC: Off
RL: Off
Transmission: Automatic (which will allow you to choose manual, semi or full auto)
Collisons: On with penalty
Penalties: Unlmited
Grid Order: Random

- I encourage the use of headsets, although to be realistic, we know headsets don't work very well when more than 4-5 people are using them at the same time. And if we really have a large lobby, I would like to ask everybody to turn off their headsets completely once the race gets started as it will save bandwidth. Once back in the lobby, feel free to use the mics again.

- If you have already unlocked and purchased the 250 GTO, you're free to create your own unique livery. But be sure to check THIS POST before doing so. if you don't have this car unlocked, the game allows you to select any one of about a dozen pre-created liveries. Selecting a different livery is helpful to distinguish different cars, especially for those of us who turn off the annoying ID flags.

- Between each event there will be a 2-3 minute break, longer if needed or requested. :)

- As we saw from the last event, this game does have a rather annoying bug, where another car may appear to push you off the road, and seem to be almost 'stuck' to your car. IF this should happen, please keep in mind the person that appears to be doing the pushing, is likely up the road, driving into the distance, and in all likelihood, it was not done on purpose. Eutechnyx is working on the problem (Details can be found here: http://forums.eutechnyx.com/index.php/topic,1366.0.html

- I will write down times, fastest, laps etc after each event. But please keep track of your own times, just in case. I'll post the results either later that night or the following morning.

The tracks, number of laps and weather conditions will follow later this week, so keep checking...

A) Practice Session : Mugello Sports Configuration - 3 Laps - Dry - Random Grid
picture.php

Much like with the first event, the first 3-lap race is considered a 'warm-up' round to get used to the car, it's braking and handling abilties, and the sensation racing against a lobby full of other cars. Points won't count so don't sweat it. For those used to Ferrari Challenge, Mugello has been reprofiled and elevation changes at the circuit are much more noticeable. This version of the track seems to be much more realistic. But in this case we'll be racing the 'short' version of Mugello, outlined above in blue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Race No 1 : Hockenheim - 15 Laps - Dry - Random Grid
picture.php

Fast straights and a tight infield. This track is a compromise in setup. Get your braking right and the hairpin at turn 4 represents your best overtaking opportunity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Race No. 2 : Silverstone (South Circuit) - 9 Laps - Wet - Random Grid
picture.php

We're racing on the South Circuit. And get out your umbrella because rain is in the air. Managing your braking points carefully and correctly is critical here, especially in the slippery conditions.

3) Race No. 3 : Virginia International Raceway - 9 Laps - Dry - Random Grid
picture.php

The VIR North Course can best be desribed as series of corners interrupted by a kinked straight. The key to driving this track is being smooth and developing a good rhythm. There's an urge to push yourself and go faster but beware, the penalty for over-cooking it will likely mean dropping to the end of the pack or worse. Passing opportunities are few and far between so choose them carefully.

4) Race No. 4 - Redwood Park - 15 Laps - Dry - Random Grid
picture.php

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has been the site of the Canadian Grand Prix since the early 80s. It's flat, featureless and seems to be a straight followed by a chicane (x 5). But just like in real life, I find this circuit often provides great racing with several places to overtake. A 15 lapper at this track will give the field a chance to mix it up completely.

Get ready...

ferrari-250-gto.jpg

Last edited:
hi jeff
If you move it forvard a couple of hours i'm in,but 8 pm is a no go for me because
i have to be at work by 11 pm

Hi hm,

I can propose to move it forward by two hours (5:00 pm UK, 6:00 pm continent). But I'm not sure how this is going to work for other people. I'd really like to have you on board but it might be a bit inconvenient for others.

Everybody else OK?

Arove, my schedule is a bit hectic this week but we should try to get together before this event and test out the lobby and connection between the two of us. As I mentioned via PM, a few weeks ago when I tried to join your lobby either I kept getting booted out after a few seconds or I couldn't get in at all. In fact once, it froze my PS3. Aside from hm being disconnected at Spa (very unfortunate) I think everybody else was OK and the lag suffered was mainly due to a bug. So there may be something about the pathway between how you and I both connect to the PSN. Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch.

EDIT: But at any rate, it seems there's enough interest that I'll change the title and strike the word possible. We're on. 👍

Hey Jeff, unfortunately I could't make this race any earlier than about 7pm BST, which is if I can make it at all. I don't have any plans for this saturday night as yet, but I might do.

Since I missed the last one, I want to be at this one... count me in... I told the misses no surprises this weekend, because I got some racing to do!... ;)

* Bump *

OK, now it's official. Personally I would prefer to start the event at 19:00 GMT because it's better for my schedule but I'm open to changes if the majority feel say, 17:00 is better.

Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - Sunday, November 1st, 2009

Considering the thread title ... Will we have some sort of time warp between races or will the event last for one full week?

I could do this, problem is the game doesn't feature DeLoreans, my name isn't McFly, you aren't exactly Doc and I think Biff Tannen is still playing Shift :sly:

How does it work with the setups?? Do you have one for each track? Or just an all-roundish setup that you use?

I've tired not to even touch this subject. Thanks for bringing it up Blitz. :lol:

Without specifically mentioning it, I've tired to choose tracks (and conditions) that would represent a big compromise in car set-up. A great setup for Montreal would probably result in a car that's undriveable at VIR and vice versa. Part of the reason is because I want these races to be open and fun & in choosing a variety of track configurations, I wanted to try and discourage anybody coming in with a killer set-up and run circles around those who maybe haven't yet unlocked the car or view tuning as dark science.

That said, I'm waiting until people have enough cheek to leave the lobby between rounds to quickly adjust their set-up and return. :lol: Which of COURSE would be rather unfair to the lobby host who would be unable to take part in such an ingenious plan underhanded scheme. :mischievous:

Last edited:
I've tired not to even touch this subject. Thanks for bringing it up Blitz. :lol:

Without specifically mentioning it, I've tired to choose tracks (and conditions) that would represent a big compromise in car set-up. A great setup for Montreal would probably result in a car that's undriveable at VIR and vice versa. Part of the reason is because I want these races to be open and fun I wanted to try and discourage anybody coming in with a killer set-up and run circles around those who maybe haven't yet unlocked the car or view tuning as dark science.

That said, I'm waiting until people had enough check to leave the lobby between rounds to quickly adjust their set-up and return. :lol: Which of COURSE would be rather unfair to the lobby host who would be unable to take part in such an ingenious plan underhanded scheme. :mischievous:

Ok I see where youre going with this :) I might make some small adjustments here and there which give benefit on all tracks ;) I need all the help I can get anyway at the moment!

* Bump *

A couple of 'last minute' comments before this event starts:

- I forgot daylight savings/summer time doesn't end in the US until NEXT weekend. So for anybody in the US, check your time Zone. US East coast is still a four hour difference to GMT (even will start at 3:00 pm)

- After doing some practice laps yesterday, and once again experiencing the 'hug bug' where cars stick together, I experimented with turning collisions to off. And I thought about it quite a bit yesterday. And I've ultimately decided to leave collisions ON for this event. I realize the bug is annoying and indeed it happened to me 3 times during the TR event. But I feel that turning collisions off ruins the racing. Even if you make a point not to do it, very quickly people began driving their ideal lines and not really worrying about making (what would be even minor) contact here or there in the corners. And essentially you no longer have a race but just a running time trial between everybody in the lobby. It should be about adjusting your lines to compensate for people on the track, watching how they drive, capitalizing on their mistakes, taking advantage of a draft. All of this and more is lost when cars just ghost through each other.

- As a reminder, this will be a public Lobby, but please look for it about 5~10 minutes before the event start under my PSN ID: jjaisli (about 7hrs 30 minutes from the time of this post)

Okay. Jeff, I would advise just making an announcement to everyone to make sure each car keeps an extra distance to cars around. "Real life" distances just won't be good enough to achieve 100% good-play; I think it's inevitable that there will be some undesired contact. So it's a matter of everyone trying to compensate.

Sorry you guys for missing the event today:guilty:which i was looking forward to, despite of the sandbanging :scared::crazy::dopey:i had from AlanG and mhm66(henrik i think) all week in the pratice sessions we made,but my mom got hospitalized :nervous::nervous::nervous::ill: in the early afternoon so i had to rush next to her.I hope i can join you people in the next event and surely we'll meet randomly in the tracks during next week.Congrats to the winner(that i suspect it was alan...:)) see ya all soon.

@ Alan: I have to say in general, there appeared to be far few problems this week. But perhaps that was just my impression.

@ Vincent. Yeah, you and Blitz both! :lol: Sorry you couldn't make it.

@ Arvore: Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope your mother is OK and in good hands.

I'll post a general review soon. A big thank you to everybody who took part.

I finished my work with ROC for tonight, so before I leave I'd just like to say that this Old-Timer event was GREAT!

Thanks Jeff for organizing it, thanks to all that took part for a few hours of great fun! 👍

PS - Will say no more, let's wait for Jeff's full report. ;)

PPS - @ arvore: Hope everything is ok with your mother!

Supercar Challenge - Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - Sunday, October 25, 2009 - Race Results

First of all, a big thanks to all those who took part in the 250 GTO event. Perhaps it was just from my own perspective, but it seemed like the lobby had far fewer problems compared to the last event. There was only one incident of cars sticking together and unfortunately I did not get it on tape, as I chose to only record Hockenheim, VIR & Montreal. The results were a bit of an eye opener for me. The race I was expecting to be an absolute disaster for me, Silverstone South in the wet, I won (although under rather lucky circumstances) and the race I was expecting to be my shining grace, Montreal, ended up being a complete mess and the one race I'd simply rather forget. But that's how it goes

A) Practice Session : Mugello Sports Configuration - 3 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

As mentioned, points don't count at the first practice section. But I'll tabulate them anyway just for record sake. This race ended up being a neck and neck battle between mhm66 and me and the result was compromised lap times for both of us. But it was actually quite exciting and I rather regret not taping it. Thank goodness it was only 3 laps or AlanG184 would have lapped us about 10 minutes later, such was his lead at the end. A very impressive performance and a sign of things to come.

Results:
1) AlanG184 - 1:12.97* - 11 points
2) GTP_Hun - 1:13.12 - 8 points
3) jjaisli - 1:15.25 - 6 points
4) mhm66 - 1:15.23 - 5 points
5) turnupdaheat - 1:13.61 - 4 points
6) GTP_bullie77 - 1:15.80 - 3 points
7) eddietrout - 1:20.85 - 2 points

1) Race No 1 : Hockenheim - 15 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

Here's where the event really started. And I think it ended up being the most exciting race of the tournament, at least for me, as I was able to battle 3 separate racers for position over several laps. I'm a little embarrassed to admit, two of them ended up passing me. :indiff: But well done to them. 👍 It was also the race with the highest turnout, 9 racers in the lobby, and we just started synching when eddietrout returned and he unfortunately missed the cut. Starting dead last in this race, I was able to capitalize on the chaos that ensued at the 1st and 2nd corners to slot into 2nd place by hairpin. I wasn't quite close enough to draft and pass Alan for the lead so I backed off in the braking zone, which caught Turnupdaheat a little off guard. He gave me a slight tap and I in turn hit Alan and unfortunately knocked him off the track. :ill: I gave the position back up the next straight but it seemed there would have been no need, considering his pace. Indeed, he was so quick that he was able to write a TEXT message to the rest of us in the lobby on lap 3 WHILE he was driving!!! :scared::nervous::ill: Nothing like demoralizing the opposition. :lol: All in all, a great race and kudos for the podium finishers.

Results:
1) AlanG184 - 2:12.84* - 11 points
2) mhm66 - 2:13.74 - 8 points
3) GTP_Hun - 2:13.59 - 6 points
4) jjaisli - 2:14.20 - 5 points
5) GTP_bullie77 - 2:17.80 - 4 points
6) Cat-Asroc - 2:20.78 - 3 points
7) ama-81 - RTD - 2 points awarded
8) turnupdaheat - RTD - 1 point awarded
9) macmax-20 - RTD - 0 points

2) Race No. 2 : Silverstone (South Circuit) - 9 Laps - Wet - Random Grid

Scandalous. That's how I'd classify the result and for a number of reasons. Fighting with GTP_Hun for the lead, we had a slight coming together on lap one when his car got out of line under acceleration and clipped my bumper. (At least that's my story and I'm sticking too it) :sly: I can't really tell you what chaos ensued behind me because from that moment on, I was in the lead and concentrated only on what was in front of me. That being an unfamiliar track that was full of water. :ill: mhm66 was quickly on my tail and after two laps managed to get around me. I was able to hold the gap for about two laps when he was suddenly disconnected from the lobby. :grumpy: (:)) I'm reasonably certain he would have finished in front of me were it not for the technical incident but let's just say, he had a mechanical DNF and leave it at that. From that point on, I was 12 seconds clear of the 2nd place car (AlanG184) and he was closing fast. I did some mental calculations and then tried to simply run conservative laps. By the finish line, he was just 3 seconds a drift. Had the race continued another lap or two, there's no doubt he would have finished ahead of me. Well done jjaisli (you lucky 🤬)! ;)

Results:
1) jjaisli - 1:32.94 - 10 points
2) AlanG184 - 1:30.38* - 9 points
3) turnupdaheat - 1:31.18 - 6 points
4) GTP_Hun - 1:32.29 - 5 points
5) Cat_Asroc - 1:38.02 - 4 points
6) mhm66 - RTD - 3 points

3) Race No. 3 : Virginia International Raceway - 9 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

VIR is a very, VERY tricky circuit. And it took me a while to really come to terms with it's unique character. This track is really more about keeping a good steady rhythm than about ultimate pace. But it also clearly showed how the effects of drafting are felt, as a run up the main straight left turnupdaheat and I closing into the braking zone much too quickly and AlanG was the unfortunately victim of our overzealous action. I gave the position back and it was my unwitting payback to mhm66 who was able to extend his lead and hold it over AlanG for the remainder of the race. Well done. Although I lost touch with the leaders early on, I was pleased with my own pace and happy not to achieve any penalties and make just two minor off track excursions.

Results:
1) mhm66 - 1:46.09 - 10 points
2) AlanG184 - 1:45.56* - 9 points
3) GTP_hun - 1:47.51 - 8 points
4) jjaisli - 1:47.41 - 5 points
5) turnupdaheat - 1:47.71 - 4 points
6) enzoiacopo - RTD - 3 points
7) Cat-Asroc - RTD - 2 points

4) Race No. 4 - Redwood Park - 15 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

Montreal should have been my best result. :) It was by far my worst. :grumpy: I wouldn't even consider it my favorite track but I normally go VERY well here and for some reason I just have a good flow at this track. Perhaps my set-up was all wrong. Maybe it was all psychological. But one thing is for sure, 15 laps was too long to suffer that kind of trama. :lol: A good start and a fight for 1st had me full in the red mist. But an overzealous move on turnupdaheat and I effectively nerfed him off the course. I knew at that point I would end up at the back of the field but it was the fair thing to do. But not concentrating on what I was doing and hitting the wall were not part of the plan. And things just got progressively worse from there, clipping walls, getting penalty after penalty and never scoring a lap time that's worth remembering. I think my history at this track just hit the infamous Wall of Champions. LOL

Results:
1) AlanG184 - 2:03.67* - 11 points
2) mhm66 - 2:04.12 - 8 points
3) GTP_Hun - 2:04.60 - 6 points
4) jjaisli - 2:04.75 - 5 points
5) turnupdaheat - 4 points

more video to follow...

Final Results:
1) AlanG184 - 40 points
2) mhm66 - 30 points
3) jjaisli - 25 points
4) GTP_Hun - 23 points
5) turnupdaheat - 15 points
6) Cat_Asroc - 9 points
7) GTP_bullie77 - 4 points
8) enzoiacopo - 3 points
9) ama-81 - 2 points
10) macmax-20 - 0 points
11) eddietrout - 0 points*

* took part in practice session only

Congratulations AlanG184 - Clearly the king of the 250 GTO event. Well done. Hitting the fastest lap on EVERY track is just out of sight. But just remember Alan, don't TEXT and drive. ;)

Last edited:
Jeff: I didn't realise what really happened at Hockenheim! There was really no need to slow down to let me pass; it was not your error at all. That was appreciated anyway.

Well the mid-race typing thing - the noise of that guy's mic was crazy. Much of the time I couldn't even hear my own car, which was a problem (and I'm sure must have been the same for everyone else).

Silverstone and Virginia were the two fun races for me. The crash on the Club straight ended with Mario's car and mine getting locked together at the wall. And I think we got in each other's way when trying to rejoin! On the next lap I got a penalty at the Abbey chicane, as someone removed the 100m board and I completely overcooked it! (I think Mario did the same right behind me) I threw away another 2 seconds the next time round at Abbey. When I got into 2nd, I had a serious go at closing the gap. By the last lap the gap was less than 2 seconds. Coming through Ireland (the tricky chicane near the end) I missed the first apex and lost too much time there. The gap at the end was 0.7 I think. Very enjoyable race. And a very solid drive Jeff!

Virginia was also a fun one. After taking part in the ploughing championship on the turn-1 grass, there was a race to do, but a good bit of time lost. When I got to 2nd, I was closing on Henrick quite quickly for a couple of laps. Then his times really improved. I got the gap down to around 2 seconds by the end. But really Henrick was very solid for the whole thing - didn't make any big mistakes at all, and probably not possible to catch him. Great driving.

Last edited:
Well, the whole thing was a bit dodgy. You can see it in the first video between about 1:00 min and 1:15. I wasn't quite close enough to get a run on you but I had to brake a bit earlier as your draft was pulling me in and that probably put Del off as I braked earlier than I should have. And from my perspective it was only a small tap but it seemed to launch you off the track so I figured it was the fair thing to do.

Silverstone was really a dance. I don't know the South circuit very well and only did a handful of practice laps in the wet to prepare for this event. So I was still learning the course as I was driving. (I'm sure Mario will be quick to agree with this). ;) I was trying not to push too hard but I could see you gaining so I tried to pick up the pace in the last few laps and twice I nearly lost it. Pretty intense stuff. 👍

I'm just still reeling over Montreal though. :ouch::crazy: I think I only put in 2 truly clean laps the entire race. Considering this is my signature track, it was just awful. I was missing every braking point, screwing up every corner entry, misjudging entry and turn in, on the same corners, repeatedly--my timing was just so off. What a horror show. This was the only track I hadn't tested my revised setup and I think it was a bit off.

Speaking of which, would anybody else care to share their setups? :)

Last edited:
Ah I didn't realise you backed off for me in Virginia too. Thanks for that. Yes, it was just a small nudge. I saw Derek coming up the inside too fast in the braking zone. So I kept left to keep clear. As soon as he went through, I began to aim for a slingshot out of turn 1. I didn't realise you were on the inside when I turned in.

Setups: Just camber - front -2.6, rear -1.3 or so.

Hey guys... I hope you had some good races... I was sick as dog the whole weekend and still am... :( Bad case of the flu... I was still ok on Friday, but woke up with a stuffed head and fever on Saturday, so I stayed in bed since... Feeling a bit better today but I think i'll still be out of commission for a couple of days. Just wanted to let you know Jeff... Not trying to avoid your races! lol :)

Back