SCC Old Timer Event - 250 GTO - Oct 25th 19:00hr GMT *Tracks Added*

• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 39 comments
hi guys
That was some great races last night.I had so much fun.I think this round was cleaner in terms off the number of hits,and i think it's because we now take the flaws off this game in
consideration when we drive.The only big insident i remember was at redwood where alan,derek and my self has trying to go side by side for a hole lap,and at some point it had to turn out bad.but overall great driving by all and so much fun.congratulations to alan on the win and all other for some great races

i'll give it 10 out off 10

hi guys
That was some great races last night.I had so much fun.I think this round was cleaner in terms off the number of hits,and i think it's because we now take the flaws off this game in
consideration when we drive.The only big insident i remember was at redwood where alan,derek and my self has trying to go side by side for a hole lap,and at some point it had to turn out bad.but overall great driving by all and so much fun.congratulations to alan on the win and all other for some great races

i'll give it 10 out off 10

That's funny, I remember at one point looking at the track map and seeing you guys all close together and thinking it was about to get messy. :lol: Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time (and didn't have to work). There was a smaller turn out at this event than I was hoping for but it's tough to put an event like this together where the time and date works for everybody. The series will pick up with the 250 LM but it won't be next weekend. I'll announce it as soon as I have a set date in mind.

@ Blitz--sorry to hear you're sick. It seems like 1/2 the people I know are ill at the moment. :crazy:

For the record, I really went extreme with my setup for this event. I was surprised to see that full hard springs/dampeners were more compliant than I thought they would be and I also used a hard front sway bar. I had similar camber settings as Alan and I had negative rear toe about -10. I ran a few laps of VIR and Silverstone South, and it seemed to work well so I went with it. It didn't feel that bad and I think it was OK at Hockenheim but it seems to have been an evil compromise for Montreal. The car generally feels OK up to about 9/10ths. But when you reach the limit it's REALLY tricky with these settings.

EDIT: BTW, Mario, you can clearly see in the VIR I video that your car also appears to be off the road at the first corner incident. Strange.

Hi guys!

First my apologies for leaving abruptly after Hockenheim but, as I've texted Hun at the time, I had my parents coming in to my home unexpectadly so I had to leave (quite frustrating).

That was my first ever event and I have a geat time! Despite my sight-seeing rythm, I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to do it again with you guys... Even though you're all quite dangerous!:nervous::sly:

A piece of advise to the novice... don't brake too hard on front of these guys or else be beat up!!!

This was a great event Jeff, and having the videos to review it is just awesome, thanks! 👍

My review:

1 - Mugello Sports - That litle race really cheered me up. Getting 2nd place, with 2nd best lap (and not by the usual couple of seconds :dopey: ) was great. The race itself was normal, no incidents to remember.

2 - Hockenheim - Had two great and long battles with Jeff (second part of video I and second part of video III), just for that this race was memorable. Again, 2nd best lap, but 3rd place because a couple of silly and costly mistakes just after the first fight with Jeff sent me back from 2nd place to fifth :ouch:

PS - (Jeff, I think you have a mistake in Cat-Asroc laptime),

3 - Silverstone South (wet) - After the incident where my car became "hugged" with Alan's car I should have taken a graceful exit and blame it on connection problems :dopey: ... disastrous race, nothing else to add

4 - VIR - A good race, ended 3rd because I got safely through the wreckage of everyone else (but mhm, in front). This race had something interesting and something I think should be noted because it is rare. From the start of the race to the end of Lap 1 the five of us (mhm, Alan, jjaisli, turnup and myself) raced in a very tight pack. No mistakes, great speed, 5 cars closely racing for a full lap around Virginia. I was at the back of the pack but was thrilled just to see it happening.

5 - Montreal - It was a "... meh ..." race for me. I managed to keep on mhm's tail for a few laps but the inevitable mistake showed up and from that point on I did a lonlely race in 3rd place, always thinking "sooner or later jjaisli is going to get me". well, he didn't, so I guess I was lucky.

Jeff, about setups, I had my car with default settings except:

Front camber -3.00
Rear camber -1.50
Front Toe +0.10

I'm a real "zero" regarding car setups but, from the very little of my knowledge, I've noticed that you guys, on the 250GTO tend to use a more negative camber on front rather the on the real wheels. Theoretically, shouldn't be the other way round the more efficient, given that, although the weight is on the frong (engine) it's a rear wheel drive car so one would go for better traction there?

Am I making any sense or am I just saying rubbish?

bullie, I regard front grip as much more important than rear grip. And, on corner entry, it's the front tyres that stand the most load. If you start understeering there, you lose a lot of speed.

So, I guess negative camber is more important and should be more pronounced at the front. I usually go for a double figure at the front then what I have atthe back. Yesterday I was doing 4.00 - 2.00, then tried to reduce it a bit (because the braking distances get longer as you increase the negative camber) and did the event with a 3 - 1.5 setup. To be honest, didn't make much difference from the previous 4-2

It was nice that you were able to join us for the first 2 races bullie77! Hopefully we'll see you at the next event. 👍 I'm not exactly sure what happened at Mugello but it looked like you may have had a coming together with another car. I can only say, hitting the apex of Luco, I saw your car spinning around at least 900*, first on the right shoulder and then onto the track (right between Luco & Peggio Secco). I wasn't sure which side to try and pass you so I stayed in the middle and it seemed like you stopped spinning right in front of me. typical. :lol:

I think the fact that most of us from GTPlanet had gone through the trouble to set up the cars and practice on these tracks made it a bit intimidating for those people who just wandered into the lobby. But there are some aces out there who are immediately on the pace.

Yes, Mario, the first lap of VIR was pretty amazing. 👍 It would have been just brilliant to have the ability to record the replay for this race (among others) just to see that first lap. I really wish Eutechnyx would have included this features in the game. :indiff: I guess these videos are better than nothing but (1) the quality sucks and I'm not going to go out and buy an expensive HDMI in / HDMI out digital recorder that burns to DVD just to record these events and (2) the in car shots only show so much. The replays in SCC during off-line play are fabulous! You can switch between a number of different views on the fly, rewind, fast forward, watch an incident from a number of different angles, over and over again.

I'm not exactly sure what happened at Mugello but it looked like you may have had a coming together with another car. I can only say, hitting the apex of Luco, I saw your car spinning around at least 900*, first on the right shoulder and then onto the track (right between Luco & Peggio Secco). I wasn't sure which side to try and pass you so I stayed in the middle and it seemed like you stopped spinning right in front of me. typical. :lol:

That was strange... to say the least! I was head-to-head with 2 other cars on front of the race (turnuptheheat? and someone else) coming out of the first corner and entering the 2nd, I had to brake harder to avoid understeer and knocking the car that was on my rigth out of the track but then someone hitted me violently on the back, I ended up hitting subsequently those 2 cars that were side-by-side with me (one on each side) and started spinning endlessly...

Not surprisingly the same happen (sort of...) on Hockenheim at the right hairpin ending the big straight, but that was my fault! I ended braking early and harder than I should, too cautious to not understeer and miss the hairpin line, and all the guys behind me hit on my back!

Actually, that's commendable! The biggest problem MOST people have racing the older cars is braking too late.

I have to put my hand up and admit that, when it comes to the older cars, I have a late braking problem. Ahh, I already feel better now that I've got that off my chest!!

Up to recently, I haven't had much experience (or interest) in driving the older cars but I really enjoyed this meeting. However, it's clear to me that I need to smoothen my driving style to be more competitive in these races. Watching the videos it's interesting to see how unstable my car looks compared to others around me. Plenty of smokey oversteer moments which only scrub off speed. Not to mention the large number of off-road excursions! I have a bit of a tendency to treat every lap like a qualy lap but there's no point in trying to push too hard for a fraction of a second gain if it means you end up going off and dropping 10 seconds in the process!

Back