Big News: Indy Racing League cars & tracks in GT5

I'm a huge F1 Fan and the F2007 in GT5P is the best simulation of an F1 car I've played so wish PD could include more F1 cars!
I don't care much about the modern ones, but having legendary F1 cars (Lotus 79, McLaren MP4/4 etc...) would be a blast! :D

Yes, but it still uses the Codemaster's driving engine though.

I borrowed F12009 for the Wii recently and I thought it was actually ok.

The AI is pretty awful, but the sense of speed and driving something on the limit is good. A lot better than I expected it to be, that's for sure. Better than the older F1 game on the PS3.

Yes, but it still uses the Codemaster's driving engine though.

I borrowed F12009 for the Wii recently and I thought it was actually ok.

The AI is pretty awful, but the sense of speed and driving something on the limit is good. A lot better than I expected it to be, that's for sure. Better than the older F1 game on the PS3.
I borrowed F1 2009 for the Wii recently as well - and I was surprised at how good it was. Now, this needs to be taken in context here, mainly relative to most racing games on the Wii, but as you say, the sense of driving on the limit is there, largely enhanced by the feebackless floating steering wheel!

No, but Toyota set the record for the fastest F1 car 1 or 2 years ago if i remember correctly and they had to take off the rear wing and other things to achieve 400 kph on a loooong straight line (i believe it was in Bonneville), Indycars have that speed in Indianapolis while racing.

F1 cars accelerate and break faster, but an IRL car isnt much slower around corners plus more top speed.

Top speed is pretty damn aerodynamics based at those speeds, so its really hard to say what cars are actually capable of when you tune the aero to a particular track. I'm not really familiar with Indy cars so forgive my ignorance, but a google search came up with the top speed achieved in Indy as 256.948 mph (413.52 km/h) in 1996, weren't the cars more powerful back then?

But anyway, what I was going to say is that top speed is heavily aero based because power required to overcome aerodynamic drag varies with the cube of velocity. So say if takes 300hp to overcome aerodynamic drag at 220mph, to go 250mph with the same aero set up would require (250/220)^3 = 1.467 times more power, or an extra 140hp. The 300hp at 220mph was just an example, not sure how much it actually is, but I'm sure a large portion of their power is used up on drag.

So as the cars vary with aerodynamic set up and engine power from year to year and track to track with rules and development, and they're set up for each track with a certain top speed in mind, its really hard to say what they could do as far as top speed is concerned. I don't know how often they take F1 cars out with a low drag setting simply to test the top end.

i remember in one practise session for indycars, they get around 220 mph. i forget which track though.

I wonder if briscoe's car is in it :D

Codemasters are going to produce F1 2010 for pc, 360 and ps3 next year. The fact that Codemasters currently has a licences for producing F1 games does not mean other parties cannot get a license at the same time. If you pay the F1 organization enough they WILL give you the license.

But hey lets be happy with GT the way it is. I played both Codemasters F1 2009 games on psp and Wii. Not worth the money.

Unless it's an exclusive license.

As for the 2009 Codies release for PSP/Wii, don't expect the 360, PC and PS3 versions to resemble it any way, shape or form.

Do we know this? Has F1 car ever been driven in oval?
A modern F1 car has never ran around an oval, but F1 cars aren't designed to be fast around an oval. An F1 car is designed to produce a lot of downforce, making them fast around road courses.

Day night CYCLE or just an DAY Night option?

According to a french mag last year, when they had an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi they confirmed the following:

-Over 950 Cars (Known now)
-20 countries w/at least 70 variants of courses (Known now i think...)
-Evolving weather (NOT known)
-Return of the polyphony single-seater (Known now?)
-Private rooms online (Think it's new)
-RealTime Damage on racecars (Known)
-Interactive debris on the racetrack (Known?)
-Tyre Wear (Known)
-Tyre Temperature (known?)
-Apparition of RealTime Telemetry (Known)
-Interactivity with GTPSP (Known)

One of my pictures attached has the list (in french) zoomed in on.

Mr Yamauchi was interviewed by Benoit Treluyer for the mag - yes that is the winner of Super GT '08 - and says there hopefully will be other single-seaters in the future

Also i think this means that there is weather cycling :)

But can someone please explain the head turning thing that was confirmed! I don't understand it at all!

Can someone tell me whether the rest of the info is known already or not? It would be nice to know how much I found. ;)

And sorry for not doing this earlier - i joined yesterday...

Attachments

• 100107-093709.jpg
    100107-093709.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 100107-093631.jpg
    100107-093631.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 158
  • 100107-093640.jpg
    100107-093640.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 100107-093649.jpg
    100107-093649.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 100107-093658.jpg
    100107-093658.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 100107-093609.jpg
    100107-093609.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 155
But can someone please explain the head turning thing that was confirmed! I don't understand it at all!

There are already threads about head tracking in this forum, use the SEARCH button if you want to find specific things 💡

Anyways, here's a link to a news article Jordan put up a while ago explaining a bit about head tracking, watch the video to get an idea of how it works ;)

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-head-tracking-explained/

I don't care much about the modern ones, but having legendary F1 cars (Lotus 79, McLaren MP4/4 etc...) would be a blast! :D

More F1 in Gran Turismo sounds good but it will be a lot of work. It's hard to be fast in those cars.. I feel like Anakin Skywalker in a freakin pod race.

There are already threads about head tracking in this forum, use the SEARCH button if you want to find specific things 💡

Anyways, here's a link to a news article Jordan put up a while ago explaining a bit about head tracking, watch the video to get an idea of how it works ;)

Thanks for that, and the car is a ferrari F458 on the left down, and yes it is chased by an enzo in the top right

The roof line and window construction of the 458 is similar to the Zonda so I see where the misconception came from.

isn't this thread about irl being in gt5?

or

Isn't this thread about IRL being in GT5?

You have been asked repeatedly to post using descent grammar, you are getting very close to your last chance here, don't post in this manner again.

Scaff

I doubt it, PD would only need to exclude the Porsche stickers since The Prototypes themselves are property of Riley Technologies, Coyote LLC, Lola Cars International and Dallara Automobili. One thing would be interesting to find out is how they'll have all the Pontiacs (Stickers and cars) since that is pretty much a dead company. They could use the Lexus name for CGR's 01 and 02 car even though they aren't in the field this year, but I'm curious as to if the Pontiac name can even be used.

They can use the Chevy logo(On some of them),I think Grand-AM will be in as DLC or a part of the disc,its also owned by NASCAR and that ihelps.

One thing would be interesting to find out is how they'll have all the Pontiacs (Stickers and cars) since that is pretty much a dead company. .

Wouldn't be that hard as GM still owns the rights to the Pontiac name, designs and logo's.:sly:

or

Isn't this thread about IRL being in GT5?

You have been asked repeatedly to post using descent grammar, you are getting very close to your last chance here, don't post in this manner again.

Scaff

Spelling Nazi takes the grammar Nazi down.

Spelling Nazi takes the grammar Nazi down.

Referring to people as Nazi's is not going to see you do well here at all (even in jest).

You may want to take a look at the member in questions posting history, I may make the occasional spelling mistake (and you may want to hope to hell you never do now), what I don't do is ignore the basic rules of grammar (and therefore the AUP) in every single post I make.

Now if you have something of value to add to the thread please carry on, if not.........

Scaff

In the first video I believe it states that glasses with sensors have to be used, will this be the case for GT5? If so, can we assume a new GT focused PS3 Eye will be coming out with glasses?

Sorry I don't know much about the camera and have never owned one.

In the first video I believe it states that glasses with sensors have to be used, will this be the case for GT5? If so, can we assume a new GT focused PS3 Eye will be coming out with glasses?

The glasses are for the game in 3D running on the new 3DTVs. This is just for show at the moment.

For head tracking, it will simply use the PSEye and pick out facial features to track motion. Quite how it will work remains to be seen (i.e. moving head from side-to-side, tilting head etc.)

There's something not quite right in the article, the two videos show completely different methods and uses of headtracking.

The only official (I think) showing of headtracking I've seen by Sony has been this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFN8cW1mSVY

Which is like the first video in the article, it doesn't need glasses as it seems to track a point on the face around the nose/between the eyes.

I can quite easily imagine that if it's to be combined with stereoscopy with some type of glasses then it might be an advantage to incorporate a couple of IR LEDs into the glasses for low light use and for more accurate positioning of each eye.

What about push to pass? IRL cars have push to pass buttons that give them extra horsepower. I think you get 30 or 60 seconds per race

Now that you mention it Earth, I would love to see some lower category open wheelers, at least just a token few examples. A Formula Ford and a Formula 3 car would be nice too.

Exactly. The IRL is a start. I want lower level/slower versions of all types of racing. Nationwide and Trucks to compliment the Sprint Cup Cars, IRL, Formula Ford etc to compliment the F1 cars, LMP2 cars to compliment the LMP1 cars and so on.

Just having the fastst of every type of racing would be like just having every normal car be a super car and forget about the mustangs and camaros and other normal cars

G.T.Ace
Dont underestimate the speed of Indycars though.
Theyre actually faster in an oval than an F1 car.

If you watch them at Indy the cars are almost completly trimmed out in qualifying.

That's why there is always an enormous amount of wrecks in practice for the Indianapolis 500, the cars are driven with so little downforce.

They're pretty fast around an oval, but compared to an F1 car on a road course there is no comparison. An IRL car weighs more, has less horsepower and has dinosaur aero and suspension compared to a modern F1 car.

Paul Tracy and others even call the IRL car a crap wagon because of how primitive it is. Most drivers want at least 150 extra horsepower

The new IRL car which is to debute in 2012 is said to not have any wings at all.

RACECAR
I doubt it, PD would only need to exclude the Porsche stickers since The Prototypes themselves are property of Riley Technologies, Coyote LLC, Lola Cars International and Dallara Automobili. One thing would be interesting to find out is how they'll have all the Pontiacs (Stickers and cars) since that is pretty much a dead company. They could use the Lexus name for CGR's 01 and 02 car even though they aren't in the field this year, but I'm curious as to if the Pontiac name can even be used.

I hope your right. GT5 has already exceeded my expectations, Grand Am and Daytona Prototypes would just be icing on the cake.

Wolfracer543
I'm not really familiar with Indy cars so forgive my ignorance, but a google search came up with the top speed achieved in Indy as 256.948 mph (413.52 km/h) in 1996, weren't the cars more powerful back then?

In 96 the cars had better top speed but Mario Andretti said today's cars have better cornering speed

Back