GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 189 songs in total in Soundtrack Library of the game, including glorious selection of Classic music, but there is no "Moon Over the Castle" to be found anywhere. It will be a shame if it does not appear later (maybe after Ending Credits or something, only time will tell - since fan-editing of the intro-movie pretty strongly implied that it is edited for MOTC).

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

There better be MOTC somewhere in the Japanese version, or I'm cancelling my Chinese version import.

Thank you Amar. Your contribution to the community is appreciated.
You are tackling the game as I would. Get the golds buddy! :)

To the rim changing complainers -

I can't believe this has become such an issue.
I read more than I post but I just had to say something about this.
I've played the Gran Turismo series since GT1 and I can't remember the last time I even thought to change rims on a car.
Has it really become that important to alter the view of a car when it encompasses a minute percentage of your playing time?

During replays with the wheels in motion you don't even notice changes.
During driving you could care less.
During purchasing it's inconsequential.
During tuning it's irrelevant. (Though, perhaps it should be)
Since when has the garage car selection become so key to this game's importance?

Maybe I've lost focus and thought the driving experience was what has become the selling point of this franchise.

At every launch Gran Turismo has been the pinnacle of driving physics.
Thanks to Amar, and others, it would seem this launch is no different.
It looks like my enjoyment will be fulfilled once again regardless of some graphics I may see for a few seconds of my gaming time.

I know where you are coming from, and agree mostly. But when games like (That Microsoft one) and others are allowing rim changes plus body kits and more, it definitely seems like this game should have them included.

Modifications on cars in racings games has really become a big thing, especially now with GT5 going online, it is how you make your car your own.

That being said I am not one of the people complaining about no rim changes on standard cars as I don't really care all that much, and further more I wouldn't want to see GT5 online races turned into art shows with cars racing past me (or hopefully the other way round) with batman and spongebob liveries.

Great work Amar! keep it up!
Do you have any idea if the G27 shift lights will work, and if the face buttons are all programmable? i know you only have a G25 atm, but any wheel info is welcome.

noobie question, I have been reading all those issues on locking wheels with ABS and I noticed alot of GT players out there turn traction and abs off. Why is this? why dont you leave them on?

I tried googling everything and I can't seem to find an answer...

I know where you are coming from, and agree mostly. But when games like (That Microsoft one) and others are allowing rim changes plus body kits and more, it definitely seems like this game should have them included.

Modifications on cars in racings games has really become a big thing, especially now with GT5 going online, it is how you make your car your own.

That being said I am not one of the people complaining about no rim changes on standard cars as I don't really care all that much, and further more I wouldn't want to see GT5 online races turned into art shows with cars racing past me (or hopefully the other way round) with batman and spongebob liveries.

completely agree, and to add

Combined with the RPG'esqe nature that GT seems to be taking on board, most RPG's allow you to customise your character.
i mean they're allowing us to customise our race suit, which seems 10x less relivant to changing a set of wheels.

A decent wheel model should be implemented, it shouldn't just come down to picking R class tyres and off ya go.
Tyre Width is just as important as compound, rim width/diametre and weight are again just as important.
From the videos we've seen it doesn't even look like you can choose what size wheels you can put on your 'premuim' car (i'd like to be proven wrong).

If i choose to modify a 300C to be my chosen race car, i should be able to choose the ideal combination of tyres/wheels that i see fit to make it do what i want, not be stuck to the 20" bling that comes on them.

Yea, I think that's what he means by the way it's worded. No rewind like Grid and Forza.

Uh, I think he meant replay rewind since that's the question that people were asking. We already knew there was no rewind during races.

I must admit that the lack of rewind and inability to backup saves is slightly disappointing. It won't stop me from absolutely loving the game but if my file ever corrupts I will totally freak and you'll all hear about it ;)

C.D
not a word regarding damage (which will likely blow) yet, you've got to be ****ing kidding me.

Further proof that all of the guys who've gotten the game early are just a bunch of clowns hired by Sony to do viral marketing for the game and build up hype.

Deleted - Not required at all - Scaff

I wish someone would make a new thread just for pictures and videos and objective info (and actually keep it updated:P).
The other screenshot thread is almost 300 pages and page 1 doesn't get updated.

I'm also getting tired of photomode and replay footage only, we get it, fotomode can make pretty renders. Move along now please.

I want to see framerate while racing, proof of screen tearing or lack thereof, word from PD on vsync , news about the resolution, how good is the vibration function on the controller in gt5 (was usually awesome in ps2 games but most ps3 games seem to have something akin to my cellphone to save battery power), how is split screen? how long are loading times if you don't install the game and most of all proper IN RACE footage of car damage without the stupid arcade mode excuse.

It saddens me that the poor quality of other series sequels and reboots has made me worry enough to feel the need to spoil the game for myself just to find out if no gamebreaking corners have been cut (pun not intended).

So much has been linked and said yet we don't know anything other than a huge bunch of spoilers and how the standard cars have been implemented.

I'm in no way ungrateful to the people that actually posted info, but it just shows how inefficient forums can really be, thousands of pages for something that could have been summed up in about 20 lines of text + car list + track list.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question about standards

Can you drive the standard and premium versions of the same car and see if there is a difference in the feel. Or actually just any standard car to see if the car feels different than the premiums. I feel like the standard cars have been overlooked I just want to be proven wrong lol

Uh, I think he meant replay rewind since that's the question that people were asking. We already knew there was no rewind during races.

I must admit that the lack of rewind and inability to backup saves is slightly disappointing. It won't stop me from absolutely loving the game but if my file ever corrupts I will totally freak and you'll all hear about it ;)

Nah man your wrong he was talking about race rewind like Forza trust me.

No, I don't think he meant replay or else he'd of been more specific. Plus, why would he be thanking Kaz for no rewind in replays? He even said thank you in japanese. Unless he was being sarcastic, Which I doubt he was, then I don't think that was in regards to replays. Until we play the game or someway specifically describes replay features, we don't know.

Indeed.
I absolutely see the point.

Perhaps it'll make GT6 more anticipated. History would show that the next iteration will take the benchmark of 5 and incorporate extras.
Which makes sense. The benchmark here isn't equalling the field with rims and kits.
The benchmark is driving experience. While others catch up, GT will add fluff.
GT is going with what generates success.

Which adds to the point that a shade of lipstick has little bearing on on her technique. ;)

One question about standards

Can you drive the standard and premium versions of the same car and see if there is a difference in the feel. Or actually just any standard car to see if the car feels different than the premiums. I feel like the standard cars have been overlooked I just want to be proven wrong lol

Well, all cars will probably feel different from each other since they are different cars, but they all (standard and premium) share the same physics.

No, I don't think he meant replay or else he'd of been more specific. Plus, why would he be thanking Kaz for no rewind in replays? He even said thank you in japanese. Unless he was being sarcastic, Which I doubt he was, then I don't think that was in regards to replays. Until we play the game or someway specifically describes replay features, we don't know.

Oh, fair enough. Someone did ask about replay rewinds though... I thought it'd be more logical to answer that. Wasn't it kinda obvious you can't do the rewind/flashback thing? We'd have known about that loooong ago.

Thank you Amar. Your contribution to the community is appreciated.
You are tackling the game as I would. Get the golds buddy! :)

To the rim changing complainers -

I can't believe this has become such an issue.
I read more than I post but I just had to say something about this.
I've played the Gran Turismo series since GT1 and I can't remember the last time I even thought to change rims on a car.
Has it really become that important to alter the view of a car when it encompasses a minute percentage of your playing time?

During replays with the wheels in motion you don't even notice changes.
During driving you could care less.
During purchasing it's inconsequential.
During tuning it's irrelevant. (Though, perhaps it should be)
Since when has the garage car selection become so key to this game's importance?

Maybe I've lost focus and thought the driving experience was what has become the selling point of this franchise.

At every launch Gran Turismo has been the pinnacle of driving physics.
Thanks to Amar, and others, it would seem this launch is no different.
It looks like my enjoyment will be fulfilled once again regardless of some graphics I may see for a few seconds of my gaming time.
I was one of them, only for the sole reason that A: some of them look ugly, and B: You won't be taking a car with 14" tires to a track hoping for the best track time, when 15-16" would give you a much better time due to better traction and tire width for more grip, instead of those little 13-14" donuts that come on alot of the 90s cars. It's not really a complaint as much as why include them for the other 210+ premiums then?

After you're done with Licenses, you just turn off User BGM and disable Race BGM in order to save precious RAM streaming-bandwith. And trust me, GT5 needs it.
What does this mean?
The performance in the game gets worsen with BGM on?

Would you be able to shed any light on what can be customized if anything besides the rims? Also, can all street cars get the Race Mod?

Oh, fair enough. Someone did ask about replay rewinds though... I thought it'd be more logical to answer that. Wasn't it kinda obvious you can't do the rewind/flashback thing? We'd have known about that loooong ago.

I understand what you're saying though dude. It probably would have made more sense to just talk about replays specifically, BUT I have seen some posts over the last couple of weeks on different threads in regards to a Grid/Forza like rewind feature. Though for I all I know, I could be wrong and you could be right. All I know is that the wait is driving me crazy.

Hope you're able to get head tracking working later, I would really like to hear more about this feature. Any idea why it doesn't work on tracks with pit stop?

I was one of them, only for the sole reason that A: some of them look ugly, and B: You won't be taking a car with 14" tires to a track hoping for the best track time, when 15-16" would give you a much better time due to better traction and tire width for more grip, instead of those little 13-14" donuts that come on alot of the 90s cars. It's not really a complaint as much as why include them for the other 210+ premiums then?

Well...why remove a feature that's available in the first place? Premiums are what PD really envisioned GT franchise to be. The reason why standards exist is because there isn't enough time to make everything premium.

Regarding your last question, I got another question for you...why include full interior modelling and cockpit view for the 210+ premium cars when the 800 rest cars don't have it?

GT franchise is always a work in process and there's always something to improve on the next version. Better graphics, physics, sounds, more cars/tracks/damage, different types of weather like fog or drizzles, detail on tracks like a drying track or puddles, dynamic skidmarks that actually build up on tracks and affect physics, more tuning options etc. The list is endless.

But at the end of the day, PD's got to hand in what they've done so far and let us have some fun with it. I'm looking at GT5 and I'm impressed with what they've done already.

All I want to know at this point is if we're able to save replays and save them to a usb drive without having to upload to youtube? I would like to make my own movies but I'd rather not have to upload to youtube first just to download and edit. Forza 3 makes you do this (although it's not to youtube but to Forza's site) and it's a ROYAL pain in the butt.

Also are there any livery editor tools no matter how basic? Anything you can paint to the car besides just the basic color?

jeez, 32 smiley faces and thumbs up so far in his review.... you dont
even have to read it, all the countless :) and :D

means it meets all expectations, carry-on

Can the next update PLEASE comment on car damage? Everything else has been pretty well covered by now, I would really like to hear some definitive comments on how well (or not) damage is done in this game. It seems to me to be one of the easiest things to test for 10-15 minutes and comment on, not to mention being one of the most requested things people are interested in. I'd just like to know what to expect; some of the youtube videos where damage seems to be somewhat minimal, or what we saw in the newly released Sony ad showing cars doors coming off, scratches, etc.

Can the next update PLEASE comment on car damage? Everything else has been pretty well covered by now, I would really like to hear some definitive comments on how well (or not) damage is done in this game. It seems to me to be one of the easiest things to test for 10-15 minutes and comment on, not to mention being one of the most requested things people are interested in. I'd just like to know what to expect; some of the youtube videos where damage seems to be somewhat minimal, or what we saw in the newly released Sony ad showing cars doors coming off, scratches, etc.

There is a trophy for reaching level40 A-spec.
Things are getting unlocked much earlier than that.

Perhaps at level20 or so, it'd be irresposible to report on a feature that has an effect on driving.
Let's wait for an accurate account on the game when things are unlocked and servers are online for updates.

There is a trophy for reaching level40 A-spec.
Things are getting unlocked much earlier than that.

Perhaps at level20 or so, it'd be irresposible to report on a feature that has an effect on driving.
Let's wait for an accurate account on the game when things are unlocked and servers are online for updates.

Yes but damage.........as something that's unlocked? Why would that be the case? I mean shouldn't that be something that either is, or is not there from the beginning? What evidence is their currently out there that damage would be something that changes as you progress through the game?

I'm not saying you're wrong.....I'm just a bit perplexed as to why damage would be something that changes as you level up.

Yes but damage.........as something that's unlocked? Why would that be the case? I mean shouldn't that be something that either is, or is not there from the beginning? What evidence is their currently out there that damage would be something that changes as you progress through the game?

I'm not saying you're wrong.....I'm just a bit perplexed as to why damage would be something that changes as you level up.

I hear what you're saying man and frankly I just didn't understand Track_Veteran's answer. I think he was answering someone else but quoted you by accident because I don't see the correlation. I too would like to know about the damage. A proper sim NEEDS damage in my opinion and it should be done well. I'm looking forward to reading about it myself.

jeez, 32 smiley faces and thumbs up so far in his review.... you dont
even have to read it, all the countless :) and :D

means it meets all expectations, carry-on

Although it might not have met all of our expectations(we dream big), looking at the big picture, PD has achieved their initial goal and so much more, however long it may have taken. Still bringing to us a racing sim that performs above and beyond anything in its class. Thank you Kaz for keeping true to your vision, and to the PD team for including the desires of GT fans worldwide to the best of your abilities! 👍

Also, Thanks Amar for the honest heads-up reviews!👍
You're the greatest employee Sony has ever hired to advertise! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back