GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all... thank you, amar, for this great review and overview :bowdown:
I found Jay Leno's name in Credits. Hm. Any thoughts?
as others said before...
Jay Leno's "Tank Car" is mentioned in the official GT5-Carlist #373
Leno loves cars, too ...and he supported PD and GT in many ways, e.g. his voice in GT for PSP, recordings in his garage etc.
brand of the Mercedes SLS model is surprisingly - Mercedes-Benz
official Carlist again: #546 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
"Mercedes-Benz" is the official company name, use www.mercedes.com and have a look at URL is changing ;) AMG is a subsidiary of the Mercedes-Benz car company specializing in high-performance luxury cars ...like in-house customization and performance modification

Yes but damage.........as something that's unlocked? Why would that be the case? I mean shouldn't that be something that either is, or is not there from the beginning? What evidence is their currently out there that damage would be something that changes as you progress through the game?

I'm not saying you're wrong.....I'm just a bit perplexed as to why damage would be something that changes as you level up.
A possible reasoning for this could be to ensure they you are a good enough driver so that you happen upon damage infrequently as opposed to a newer driver where mechanical failure and damage might be disabled so he can get a feel for the game. I think this may go along with the series of assists that are disabled as you progress.

Yes but damage.........as something that's unlocked? Why would that be the case? I mean shouldn't that be something that either is, or is not there from the beginning? What evidence is their currently out there that damage would be something that changes as you progress through the game?

I'm not saying you're wrong.....I'm just a bit perplexed as to why damage would be something that changes as you level up.

I too am sceptical about seeing more detailed damage, however Kaz has been quoted saying that damage severity will be linked to difficulty. What this exactly means, as usual, isn't completely clear. So it could mean that until the highest level events are unlocked we may not see the highest level of damage.

He must be somehow related to PD. I've been thinking of him being some kind of a product manager from Sony or PD. Hence, he would not only be authorised to disclose those -still strictly confidential- informations, but he would be getting paid for doing so. Notice that he barely mentioned one single flaw in the game so far. Everything for the most is just perfect, unbelievable, unseen before. Or the game actually comes from another planet, or this thing starts looking kinda weird.
I'm 90% sure this is just advertising. Which is still good to me while it keeps me entertained :)

I think that it's the same sort of situation as going up to Jack Nicholson and asking him to give you his take on the current state of the LA Lakers.

A possible reasoning for this could be to ensure they you are a good enough driver so that you happen upon damage infrequently as opposed to a newer driver where mechanical failure and damage might be disabled so he can get a feel for the game. I think this may go along with the series of assists that are disabled as you progress.
Sounds like Kaz and PD took a look at the people who where playing the demos solely for the crash and thought up an effective way to ween them away from trying to damage their cars towards learning how to drive properly...new physics and all.:sly:

I know Amar was busy getting those gold trophies, but I wonder how quickly these assists/features can be disabled/unlocked?

Sounds like Kaz and PD took a look at the people who where playing the demos solely for the crash and thought up an effective way to ween them away from trying to damage their cars towards learning how to drive properly...new physics and all.:sly:

I know Amar was busy getting those gold trophies, but I wonder how quickly these assists/features can be disabled/unlocked?

I also think that amar is doing all the license tests first. So, they might not have the damage system in them yet.

I too would like to hear more about damage, especially as it's represented in the actual career mode races... Like FF challenge, 4wd challenge, American Muscle car challenge, etc...

I too am sceptical about seeing more detailed damage, however Kaz has been quoted saying that damage severity will be linked to difficulty. What this exactly means, as usual, isn't completely clear. So it could mean that until the highest level events are unlocked we may not see the highest level of damage.

I would certainly hope not. Either you turn damage on, or you don't. Damage is absolutely NOT something that should become more apparent the further you progress in the game. Career mode is, and should be, straight up sim. Arcade mode can go ahead and turn off physics and damage.

I don't like to get into the Forza v GT debate, but I can't help but be EXTREMELY partial to Gran Turismo and have been waiting for this game for so long. That said, I can't help but be a bit disappointed in what I'm hearig so far.

PD can do what they want but in this day and age it helps for companies to be a bit more forthcoming with the details, especially as they concern a pretty big part of a sim racer (damage) and it's crazy that a few days before release we still know nothing. And I know that if the guys here don't know (I just joined this site a few days ago but I can tell how dedicated it is to the game) the info isn't known by anyone outside of the company.

From the few vids that have leaked though, I'm not liking the damage (or lack thereof) nor am I liking the small number of interiors (relative to total number or cars) in the game.

That said, I'll probably still get it because I'm a GT junkie but a lot of the news coming out about the game makes me wonder just what they've been doing all this time.

This post wasn't supposed to be this long, and if there are any typos my apologies as I'm doing this on my iPhone and it's gonna be way too hard to go back and check all of this.

No impoted game saves! No!!

Also:

Amar 212, when can I drive the Top Gear track in arcade mode? It looks like it's locked from the start. Have you unlocked it yet?

Amar212 could you tell us if the physics are the same for Standard cars, eg you feel just as much detail as you described while driving?
Why would the physics for the standard cars be any different than premium? Those two terms only describe the quality of appearance. The physics engine remains the same; all cars should perform according to the data PD imputed.

There are some Ford Focus WRC photomode pictures somewhere on this site showing off the damage model after a front end impact and it looks superb.

I am so excited now, the premium race car ratio is great, the physics sound top freakin notch, the nur24h with full weather and day/night is so amazing it's not even funny. GT4 had a fantastic version of the ring that was very similar to the real track, I am sure GT5 has taken it to another level.

Cannot wait! Definitely picking up a g25 for this.

Aftermarket wheels on all cars > Damage.

I dont know any car enthusiest who doesnt have a 'fetish' for nice wheels on cars. What makes it worse is, the 'standard' cars are all older cars which are those that need aftermarket wheels the most.

I still hope that PD will address this in a future update.

The only thing I found disspointing is the standard car wheels thing (seriously dropped the ball there PD), but the rest sounds great!
For the next post could you possibly check out the exhaust sounds tuning option we heard about a while ago? I really hope this feature is done well, and with the improved sounds it has the potential to be truly awesome.

It won't stop me from absolutely loving the game but if my file ever corrupts I will totally freak and you'll all hear about it ;)

You can still back up your save onto a memory card/usb but you have to use it under the same account. So people can't go download a 100% save file and use it.

I won't even be using the standard cars much, if any it will be some older race cars. Like the Mercedes Benz 190e EVO II Touring Car.

"regarding Headtracking - it will not be available in races with pit-stop enabled."

random featureblocking by PD or what could be the legit reason for this stupidity?

I don't remember the F40 having a white padding on the roof in GT5P?

Interior view angle adjustment 👍

Practice Mode with Single Make Races 👍👍

Better ABS off implementation 👍👍👍

No splitscreen 👎👎

Locked save 👎👎👎

Question for Amar: can you rewind/fast forward in replays? Would be particularly helpful in photo mode. And Thanks for bringing us all these updates :) I know you'd rather be playing the game rather than typing up impressions on a forum :lol:

I can't believe you can't change the wheels on standard cars... I agree, even if they decided to pull damage at the last minute, I would not have been disappointed. But the fact that you can't change the wheels is a real bummer. It won't stop me from loving this game, but it seems like its one area where the game has regressed. :(

"regarding Headtracking - it will not be available in races with pit-stop enabled."

random featureblocking by PD or what could be the legit reason for this stupidity?

You could ask the same question about weather and time changes. Why only the 24hr NURBURGRING layout has both while the GP track and ring alone don't It doesn't make sense but there must be another reason other than they forgot.

I was thinking 2 reasons

1) they are stupid and want it make it correct and since a 24 hour race occours on that it will be there, but ont on the gp track. But that would be shooting themselves in the foot

2) THey need to model something slightly differently.

I thought the 2nd, but that raises a big point, if it is the later, then surely the 24 hour includes the ring and as such the track should be able to do weather.

Again, it appears those without dynamic weather may be able to have static weather, if so why not make it dynamic?

I feel that they have tried to make it realistic and hence compromised the opportunites for things to happen by not wanting to have an unrealistic 50 lap race of the GP course with rain.

Maybe a patch might be on the way if enough people complain? Surely it wouldn't be much extra coding, just remkaing the tie they cut before

Oh, and one very important thing for the very end - almost forgotten in lights of news - there is no Rewind :lol: Thank you Kazunori-san, ありがとうございました.

That is what I hoped for all the time. Thanks PD !

You can still back up your save onto a memory card/usb but you have to use it under the same account. So people can't go download a 100% save file and use it.

Amar said you can't even do that:

"...save files are really copy-protected, period. You can't copy them to memory stick and that is it."

amar212
I found Jay Leno's name in Credits. Hm. Any thoughts?

I don't know if it got mentioned (I did not read everything since the last update), but #373 S Jay leno Tank Car ‘03 is in the game.

Thanks for all the great news (and the not so good, too).

First: Thanks for doing this.👍👍

Second: Do you have to take pics from the replay or can you access photo mode via the pause menu while on track?

Apologies it this has been asked or answered already.

Definitely a bad call no being able to changethe wheels on all care....it was possible in all the other gamesZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back