1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,425 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
1/43 is a wonderful scale if done right. Kyosho does it right. Too bad that the online die-cast store I use doesn't have them, so I only have one I got from Turkey. :)

Anyway those are all brilliant! Just one of those would make me happy for, at the very least a week.

I'm in the process of putting up pics of my display, but for now, I'll show you a custom I made a while ago... I had completely forgotten I had pictures of this thing.

The Maverick Grabber was chosen as the model of choice for the custom contest that's held every get together of the Hot Wheels Mexico Club, so I immediately imagined it like a modern track car with some vintage flavour... a sketch came right in:
mavsketch.jpg

I wanted it to have the widest tires possible, so I grabbed a couple donor cars as well, a pair of last-year Super Modifieds for their enormous rear wheels and BBS-type wheels:
2010_170.jpg

I also picked up a Bone Shaker for it's injectors:
2010_143.jpg

So, after I grabbed those, I started looking in my junk to find a plausible interior donor. A stepped-over, crushed and broken Commodore race car was finally chosen and opened, it's interior stripped and cut to fit the Maverick's frame... sorry for the small, poor quality pictures, I was at a friend's house (he helped me with the build, as this was my first-ever custom) and his camera was all I had at hand:

B003.jpg

In this pictures you can also see that I swapped in the Supermodified's seat, which had it's belts detailed, the steering wheel came from a Meyers Manx buggy; you can also see the Bone Shaker injectors after I completely trimmed off the engine into plastic shrapnels with a friend's borrowed Dremel.
B005.jpg

In these two pictures you can apreciate that we cut both axles in half and glued them to the frame with epoxy, because I wanted the tires to be way off the fenders, as fender flares were going to be the build's main focus. Yeah, it has rear tires in the front too. I wanted it wiiiide.
B001.jpg

B002.jpg

We also painted and put in the Holden's rollcage and our interior was ready:
B007.jpg

B006.jpg

In the pics above you can see that the hood already has a hole and is now flat black. I was going to have the injector trumpets exiting in the original Grabber hood tampo, but when we were cutting the hole the drill moved a bit and chewed on the border. A dab of Tamiya putty took care of that but the tampo had to go. The results are cool looking anyway:
IMG_0850.jpg

I like the fact that the injectors are almost hood level and don't poke out too much:
IMG_0842.jpg

Next up came the most daunting part of the build, the fender flares. I tried a LOT of materials and plastics to make them, but either they were too thin or too hard or would just blow away when trying to cut them... until I found the answer:

rago011.jpg

You see that blue cap? it's plastic turned out to have the exact thickness and "maleability". I bought several and started dremeling out, lots of trial and error, lots of microbubble gum consumed (that's what the bottles contain)... but finally, after about two hours of work into each fender flare, they were painted flat black and finally ready:

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

I have to say though, that in order to acommodate the enormous wheels, the wheelwells had to be trimmed, and we faced a problem: if we kept trimming the fender flares wouldnt have had a place to be sticked in... so sadly, the car doesnt roll. That is my only gripe, really...

The hardest part was solved, next up came the fabrication of the front lip in styrene, the addition of rear exhaust tips, general detailing and stuff:

IMG_0844.jpg

I really like how the cage shows in the rear window:
IMG_0852.jpg

One final detail fell in place serendipituously, the front mounted oil-cooler alá KPGC Skyline race car... my friend gave me a horrible HW named Piledriver to try to make the fender flares off it's own fender flares. The deal didn't work out, but at it's frame sides sat four things that looked uncannily like oil coolers. A bulb flashed and soon I found myself trimming the metal with the Dremel to liberate one of them. After some hot-metal burnt fingers, the piece was ready.
IMG_0851.jpg

Yes, the hoses (speaker cable) enter the grille where the turn lights used to be, they were perforated... the detail can be apreciated in this flash picture:
IMG_0848.jpg

And that put the final touch in the thing. I didint win crap mainly because no one knew what to make of the car, it looked pretty damn odd sitting alongside all the drag-oriented builds, and well, it didn't roll ( a must) and yeah, it had no stupid rubber tires. And in these pictures the fender flares look a bit off because, transporting it to the meeting, one of them fell off and had to be put back in with different glue, which made the paint come out and stain the car; during the trip the rollcage also "fell down", it suffered quite a lot... but to heck, I am very happy with how it turned out, really.

Here is how it sleeps now, under a bubble not because I baby the damn thing, but because I dont want no stinking dust on the car. It's so fragile that cleaning it would surely unbolt a fender.
IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Here goes. It's missing some stuff like the rear ducktail and the rear diffuser, those weren't made because I ran out of time, but I am pretty satisfied with the results. I think I made too complicated a project for my first one, and indeed it was a freaking jigsaw, but in the end it was well worth the effort.

I'm now about to start working on a Sub-lime 1969 Dodge Charger. It will not be nearly half as complex as this one, but I hope it will turn out ok. I'll show you when done :crazy:

Love it, Really love it, it favors a old tuned japanese car(skyline KPG) Where did you find that intercooler?
You didn't win, But who cares? you have a kick ass one of a kind model to call your own! nice work cano!

Love it, Really love it, it favors a old tuned japanese car(skyline KPG) Where did you find that intercooler?
You didn't win, But who cares? you have a kick ass one of a kind model to call your own! nice work cano!

Thanks. The oil cooler was trimmed off the side of a Piledriver:

07PileDriverLft.jpg

as related above. It took a while but I liked it a lot.

alas, none of those are from 2011... nice find on the tooned Countach, that thing isn't easy to find nowadays.

I've missed this thread for awhile..... Just looked over last couple of pages, and saw Matchbox Caterham? That little model look sweet! Some cool Japanese Skyline models, especially the one I think said Real-X? I still liked the Pinto with the crazy detail more though. :lol:

I started shopping hotwheels for my nephew, as he is crazy about them. I'm afraid I'm a casual collector now though. I buy them for the nephew, but my taste starts influencing some of the purchases. Pretty soon, I buy myself one here, then there..... Last week, I actually asked for the Cuda back, just like this one:

377792627567339afb94.jpg

(image from google)

I've bought him a tote full of them at this point, so he was generous with me. :lol:

I got shoebox(bootbox, technically) full of them now. I'll try to come up with some pics in the near future. :D

This is the GREATEST thread I've ever seen in any forums!

It brings me back to my Hot Wheels days, now I was wishing I have kept them. Stupid, past-me. lol

Finds from the last couple weeks. They've probably been around for a while but I only check for new cars when I have to go to the store for something else.

DSCN3262.jpg

DSCN3273.jpg

The Ferrari, I already had, so I passed. But it's blue. :crazy: 4-Runner, I just picked it up about an hour ago. S2000 looks nice. If I see it, I might have to pick it up. I also got Matchbox brand Cobra(Just like this one). She's a beaut.

P.S. The Ghostbuster Caddy you hooked me up with, I never got to see it in a store. Ever. Thanks again, man. I keep it at my work, everybody gets such kick out of it. :D:tup:

mitsuoka viewt(..looks like a old taxi from london modernised)

Allow me to correct you ;)

If it's the green one you're referring to, the Viewt is actually an interpretation of a Jaguar MkII rather than a London black cab. That one looks like the later Viewt too, earlier ones are a bit more upright. Here are the two for comparison:

First gen Viewt
viewt.jpg

Second gen Viewt
post-24410-1207682469.jpg

Tomica Honda NSXR

Good choice, I have one of those. If anything, I like the box more than the model itself! Tomica's castings aren't particularly brilliant.

DSC_4819.jpg

DSC_4820.jpg

DSC_4823.jpg

I have finally managed to find a Tyrrell P34 in the correct Blue/Yellow paint scheme (all of the others that I have seen were white/blue). I decided to compare it to the Tomica version of the P34 from the 70's.
p1300053.jpg

p1300058.jpg

Here are some other cars I bought a while ago and never got around to posting them here.
matchboxandhotwheels.jpg

On another note I haven't been able to find the blue Ford Falcon XB yet, despite searching for it in every shop that sells Hot Wheels that I have been to for the past 3 months.

Is that Gallardo from Hot Wheels? The wheels look different...

No, it's a 1/43 scale car made by Welly. I would have bought more of these 1/43 cars as they were only AUD$2, but the other cars that were there didn't interest me (e.g. Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai I30, etc).

No, it's a 1/43 scale car made by Welly. I would have bought more of these 1/43 cars as they were only AUD$2, but the other cars that were there didn't interest me (e.g. Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai I30, etc).

Owh that one.. I saw only a couple of them here. The 330i they made was very good in detail. It may be cheap there, but here it costs MYR19.90 which is, almost 3 times the price of basic Hot Wheels...

OK, my collection is reaaaallly modest, but I thought you guys would at least like to see what I got. Sorry for the crappy quality & weird editing job:

gtpu.jpg

Ducati was some oddball one I picked up. Not familiar with the manufacturer, don't remember who it was, but the quality is much better than the Hotwheels or Matchbox.

There is a classic Lesney Ford Fairlane taped on top of "Lesney" Deville, too. My coworker gave it to me.

Didn't someone post one with a dog in the backseat? I wish I had that one. Very cool. :lol:

There are several cars wirh dogs in the backseat. Two that come to mind are hot Wheels Mercedes Benz 380 sl, here with extremely rare Real Riders:
1983_4363.jpg

and the canine little friend
motos013.jpg

Which is a bit hard to get these days...

but cheer up, you can have dogs in a car with Matchbox's Olds Vista Cruiser, available now at any store near you for a buck... or some 3 or 4 bucks if you want the Lesney version just like this one:
IMG_7777.jpg

Here we have the doggies:
mb777-10.jpg

There are many more, but I dont really remember.

Oh my god, how current is that Oldsmobile? If that was still available in stores(ie normal price), I'd buy it.

it is. It came out last year and has been in the Matchbox line up since then. First color was green, then a lighter green, then gold. There was also a brown one and some 5 pack versions, as well as the Lesney Edition pictured. You should be able to find it at ANY place that sells Matchbox, as it isn't particularly rare.

it is. It came out last year and has been in the Matchbox line up since then. First color was green, then a lighter green, then gold. There was also a brown one and some 5 pack versions, as well as the Lesney Edition pictured. You should be able to find it at ANY place that sells Matchbox, as it isn't particularly rare.

Isn't there a white one as well?

Good collections, but mind you all that in the 2011 Guinness World Records book, it claims that the largest collection of model cars owned by someone is 22,222

Isn't there a white one as well?

I think so, yeah, altough we never saw it around here.

Good collections, but mind you all that in the 2011 Guinness World Records book, it claims that the largest collection of model cars owned by someone is 22,222

Damn. I have about 2,500-3,000 and I'm already going crazy about what am I gonna do with all this trash. I know a guy who has about 16,000, as far as I know theb iggest collection in Mexico.

Back