1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,427 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Well, I've always had Hot Wheels, and when a friend bought me GT1 for my 6th birthday and a really started getting into cars, I really started liking Hot Wheels. The main reason for me still buying them all these years is because I actually play with them. I would go into the store and look not for a Ferrari, but for a garbage truck or a police car for the miniature city I had built with Hot Wheels streets. Nowadays most of the cars I buy are sports cars and supercars that I like from GT and real life.

Well I started collecting because a friend told me he does too. A friend I met on the internet. He is from Malaysia and his name is Ahmad. His avatar is currently a BMW.
And now thanks to that one friend I spent a lot of money and am now going to have a nervous brakedown because none of the shops here restock at all.
:lol:
In all seriousness though it's a very good hobby. The price is low, so it gives you the freedom to go crazy if you want to.

I'm new to this thread, but in response to invincibleM5, I started my collection for pretty much the same reason. I LOVE CARS. I used to play with Hotwheels all the time when I was younger and had quite a hefty amount of them. I finally sold them when I was 13, because I thought it was time to move on. Well, it was ok with me for a little while, but I soon began to miss them and noticed that I actually did have a lot of pretty rare cars.

I just recently restarted my collection, and keep them all in there cases now. I do not collect any specific hot wheels car; just any I like.

Well.... that's my story!:)

Well I started collecting because a friend told me he does too. A friend I met on the internet. He is from Malaysia and his name is Ahmad. His avatar is currently a BMW.
And now thanks to that one friend I spent a lot of money and am now going to have a nervous brakedown because none of the shops here restock at all.
:lol:
In all seriousness though it's a very good hobby. The price is low, so it gives you the freedom to go crazy if you want to.

Uurrm.. Really? Did I? :lol:

Thanks mate, whow it's great to own a lot of cars :D

EDIT: Thanks for the other response guys! It feels great to know others story behind their hobby.

I'll play. But it'll be long. Entertaining at least, I promise.

If I really go backwards, and I mean like when I was three, I've liked cars ever since. I could tell you what every car on the street was when I was 4. And I loved toy cars. I still have some of the very early plastic cars my parents bought me. Of course, diecasts were also pretty much an every day thing for me, I remember dad coming from work at night and giving me diecast Yatmings.

Going from there, I cannot remember ANY moment of my childhood in that I did not have diecasts around me. There were othe toys of course -I never got a videogame system until the SNES and I never was a sports kid, so my early childhood was all toys- but the die cast cars remained a constant. I remember some awesome days when many, MANY (big family) cousins got together in faimly reunions, and each would bring a bunch of cars and play for hours, sometimes days, with the few sets we had.

One of those cousins lived two blocks away and also had a bunch of cars, and from him I first got the notion of collecting. He is the oldest of all the cousins of my generation, so he stopped playing with them when I still did, but instead of stopping buying cars he kept on going and made a display using bricks and some spare window glass my uncle had lying around, and put them all there. It looked awesome. Soon I wanted to do the same but I didn't have the space, nor a display, and my cars were very played with. Still, the seed had been planted, and I realized that, for the cars to look good, they had to be taken care of.

So subsequently, the cars I bought were played, yes, but I took a LOT of care of them. I took care of not chipping the paint (no more crashing games), and to more or less maintain the chrome on the wheels and the tampos. And I still have a few from that era that survived pretty damn well. Then came more money and more and more cars, mainly bought from the supermarket. It was like that for years and years.

Then came like the big boom. I attended an exposition on the 45 years of Hot Wheels put on by the Hot Wheels Mexico Club. I was in awe. I could not believe that such strong collections could exist in Mexico.I registered on the forum and started sucking up all the knowledge I could gather about hot wheels and other makers. And I keep on doing so to this very day. I'm currently still learning to ID Mexico-made HWs.

With this also came my entrance to the world of vintage stuff. From the guys at the club I learned where all the old good stuff was selling and I started attending flea markets that I was previously unaware of, many of which I still frequent, sometimes thrice a week. It has been a snowball from that moment... lets say, about 6 or 7 years ago, to freaking now... I just spent about $400 dollars on e-bay on these things, got two older ones yesterday off the usual flea market, and bought today several new Matchboxes at Wal Mart.

My story with diecasts is practically a lifelong affair, and it also comes from my love of cars. I'm no completists, I just collect what I like. As someone said, it's a freaking poison. But man how I enjoy it. And yes, I'll post pics when everything arrives. Expect lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of 'em.

I have hundreds, maybe even a thousand Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars. I theoretically started collecting them when my mum gave me my first Matchbox when I was two (a yellow school bus which I would always call 'bus').

I stopped collecting them in my teens but I have started again. I will try and dig out my collection and get some photos!

Recently I have been collecting the James Bond Car Collection (combining two of my favourite things, James Bond and Cars!) and because I am studying to be a Paramedic and am a volunteer Ambulance Officer, I am trying to collect ambulances/emergency medical service vehicles from all over the world. So far I have heaps of American Ambulances (mostly fictitious services, not realistic ones, I'd like an FDNY one though!), German/Austrian and a French ambulance! Let me know what you guys find :)

Tom

efea6fa2.jpg

HW Ford GT LM

92230b5a.jpg

Siku VW Passat Wagon Notarzt (Emergency Doctor)

8a6cdcd5.jpg

HW Dodge Viper ACR

f4f6dba2.jpg

Siku Toyota RAV4 Notarzt

f4f2234e.jpg

HW Nissan GT-R

a08bad44.jpg

Siku Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 318CDI

ffa6c653.jpg

Siku Eurocopter EC-145 ADAC Retrieval Helicopter

Never heard of Siku models, but they look highly detailed. Very nice. 👍

Hotwheel hunt report:

Been looking every time I shop at places where they carry hotwheels. I have yet to find any models I'm looking for. S2000, Green Gran Torino, Back to the Future Delorean, 240Z, or the hakosuka(the original GT-R) GT-R.

I have some Siku stuff but I'm always confused about their scales. They mostly do 1:87 stuff (which is labeled) but I don't know what scale their 'hotwheels' cars are. I've heard some things like the Mercedes Ambulance are even though it doesn't say 1:87 on the packaging. In any case there build quality and detail is really great.

I have started to give up looking for Hotwheels because the UK supermarkets never have anything good or ever have any T-Hunts. I guess its a US centric thing, wish I was there as you guys seem to haul stuff with ease!

Robin.

One thing not so good this about Siku is they're very expensive. If it ever reach here, it could costs somewhere around MYR20-MYR25 for a car... Could well be MYR30-MYR35 for something like that Helicopter.

They are a little pricey, but the Eurocopter and the Sprinter came in a pack together, I think they were around $20AUD.

I think the Sprinter is 1:87, its about the same size as the RAV4 and obviously the Sprinter will be a fair bit larger in real life!

Yeah just had a check and the Sprinter and Eurocopter seem to be 1:87, Siku do their best work with farm equipment :lol:

Yep. Siku have many farm equipment models. Tractors, Combines and... all the other farm stuff.
They also make remote controlled models I believe. But mostly things like trucks.

Gran Torino in that green color, Back to the Future Delorean, S2000, and the original GT-R. Those are the "must" get for me.

Question to the veteran collectors here: How soon do you guys expect to see those models in stores? I started looking for the DeLorean(from the movie) already, but no sign of it yet.

Edit: Missed the 240z towards the bottom. Nice!
Reporting on my progress. Last night, I had an hour to kill, so I spent some time looking for the Back to the Future DeLorean car..... I was able to find just one of the cars from my "want" list, a S2000. I'm hoping the other cars I'm looking for just hasn't come out yet.

Green Rolls at the top of that post is money in the bank. 👍

After my post last night, I checked out couple of stores in search of Back to the Future car, but I still couldn't find any. I did find that older release green Gran Torino, a go-kart(:lol:), old FJ Land Cruiser and a black & gold El Camino.

Very cool cars, but not the one's I'm after!

you see why your collection will go out of hand? you go searching for some models, and end up buying others that you hadn't even seen, but when you do you go "ooooo" and home they come.

you see why your collection will go out of hand? you go searching for some models, and end up buying others that you hadn't even seen, but when you do you go "ooooo" and home they come.
I know, I was thinking the same exact thing as I was doing it. :lol: Doesn't help that they are just $1 each!

and you haven't even gotten into the vintage stuff. Or into other markes. Make your wallet a favor and stay in the mainline models. Trust me.

My first couple of 2011 carded cars...

Custom Camaro '11 | LP570-4 Superlegerra | 911 GT3 RS | 575 GTC

IMG_0115.JPG

Also bought 2 Nissan GTR R35 in black and 1 GT500 Shelby in silver but they're loose.

I need a info.....

So I'm still coming up empty on the Back to the Future DeLorean car. This is supposedly a new 2011 model car, but how long can you expect to see them in stores?

Also, because this is a Back to the Future car, is it safe to assume that it's a limited run model? Reason why I ask, when I was looking for the Ghostbuster's car last year, I found absolutely "zero". If it weren't R1600 helping me with one, I'd never even have even seen one.

It would be cheaper & easier to buy one on eBay, but I have this "principle" thing. I just hate scalping, and I'm trying my best not to contribute to it. :P

I've seen a few of the Back to the Future DeLoreans in 3 packs over here in Australia (In fact most new models are released in 3 packs before they are released as single cars). I didn't buy one of the three packs but I might just be kicking myself for not getting one, just like with the Ghostbusters car (I saw one of these on the weekend Big W had the 5 cars for $5 deal... and didn't buy it).

Back