What do you think Kaz means by "human drama"?

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 136 comments
After spending a whole week driving fast cars at Silverstone I think I understand what he means. When you play at home it is easy to be relaxed and very comfortable. When you are out there on track however there is a whole new level of pressure, fatigue and discomfort to deal with.

A lot could have been lost in translation here. I would like someone who speaks japanese to translate this as his translator on the day seemed to give a very brief summary and that was they text used in the video.

With regard to the drama he speaks of, here’s what my thoughts on what we could see.

- Larger consequences for mistakes by you.
- Way more variables that can affect your race that aren’t in your control (e.g. mechanical issues)
- Possibly only getting one chance to do a specific challenge. No restarts.

I do expect live track weather, track evolution (grip and marbles) and destructible environments to be all in GT6 though ;)

During the week I joked with an autosport journalist about linking Gran Turismo to your bank account before some big races. If you screw up and damage the car badly you will lose a set amount of money, if you win you may gain what has been lost off of other players. Of course if this ever happened there would have to be a lot of regulations or it would become too much about gambling and then if there is fool play there would be issues. I really do think that would be the first set to introducing more pressure.

This week I had to deal with pressure on a level I’d never felt. In a dog fight with Thomas Gibson (GTP_rutter200). 2 lap races around stowe in the race spec 370, best of 3 wins and I lost the first race. I had to win twice in a row or I was going home. GT never simulated that level of pressure so I think it is important it starts trying to.

Lose six high-profile races in a row, and your driver ends up in a Big Brother competition with Sims play style.

@Inixi, trouble is, the economy is too easy (I think). Almost everyone is a multi-millionaire. Maxxing-out a car is the work of minutes.

If the 'economy' was tougher, and money was tighter...then that would be interesting!

what it needs to retain is that sense of a shoestring budget that GT games have always had in the opening stages. It can be frustrating when you are stuck in the sunday leagues in your '86 MX5, but at least the money you earn feels like it has a purpose, and when you finally have enough credit to make your next big purchase, you really feel like you have earnt/accomplished something. Plus you dont make frivolous purchases "just to try it out" and then never drive it again. You think hard about where your winnings will go.

In short, i think this will be unpopular but i would love to see the winnings from the higher level races dropped, simply to keep that sense of achievement for a longer amount of time.

Dessy182
A lot could have been lost in translation here. I would like someone who speaks japanese to translate this as his translator on the day seemed to give a very brief summary and that was they text used in the video.
I transcribed and translated below what he said (there's a word I don't understand toward the end, but the overall meaning is clear).
Despite the official translation, I don't think Yamauchi meant the actual English meaning of "Drama". What he is referring is the Japanese term for fiction TV show ("Dorama"), but again he doesn't mean it literally.

次のステップって言うのは、まさに皆さんがこのGT-Academyで体験しているそのものなんですけれども…レースっていうのは、多分 Jannも経験あると思うんですが、実は人間ドラマなんですけどね。人と人のコミュニケーションが織り成すドラマなんですね。そこをね、グランツーリスモは何とか(?)がしたいと思っています。

Q. What do you think is the next big step we can expect to see [...] ?

A. What could be called the next step is right what you are experiencing in this "GT Academy". Racing, I think Jann has probably some experience with it too, is actually a human "fiction", a "fiction" [involving] communication between people. I personally would like Gran Turismo to address that, in a way or another.

So, as I explained yesterday, he wants to recreate the actual racing experience as a race pilot, not just the driving and other general management aspects as previous games in the series did so far.

Last edited:
Urinal2001
what it needs to retain is that sense of a shoestring budget that GT games have always had in the opening stages. It can be frustrating when you are stuck in the sunday leagues in your '86 MX5, but at least the money you earn feels like it has a purpose, and when you finally have enough credit to make your next big purchase, you really feel like you have earnt/accomplished something. Plus you dont make frivolous purchases "just to try it out" and then never drive it again. You think hard about where your winnings will go.

In short, i think this will be unpopular but i would love to see the winnings from the higher level races dropped, simply to keep that sense of achievement for a longer amount of time.

I agree. I think the licenses should only become available after a certain amount of game time or "experience".
Ultimately it's about rewarding good driving, but not handing out the rewards in such a way as they become meaningless.
Probably as long as gt5 is also the "car collecting" game, it won't come too close to what most people experience in their motor racing career.

I hope it means their will be pedestrians to knock over and nutters who invade the tracks to aim for. This will make the game perfect as long as they get the sound effects of crunching bones and the blood colours correct.

After spending a whole week driving fast cars at Silverstone I think I understand what he means. When you play at home it is easy to be relaxed and very comfortable. When you are out there on track however there is a whole new level of pressure, fatigue and discomfort to deal with.

With regard to the drama he speaks of, here’s what my thoughts on what we could see.

- Larger consequences for mistakes by you.
- Way more variables that can affect your race that aren’t in your control (e.g. mechanical issues)
- Possibly only getting one chance to do a specific challenge. No restarts.

I do expect live track weather, track evolution (grip and marbles) and destructible environments to be all in GT6 though ;)

During the week I joked with an autosport journalist about linking Gran Turismo to your bank account before some big races. If you screw up and damage the car badly you will lose a set amount of money, if you win you may gain what has been lost off of other players. Of course if this ever happened there would have to be a lot of regulations or it would become too much about gambling and then if there is fool play there would be issues. I really do think that would be the first set to introducing more pressure.

This week I had to deal with pressure on a level I’d never felt. In a dog fight with Thomas Gibson (GTP_rutter200). 2 lap races around stowe in the race spec 370, best of 3 wins and I lost the first race. I had to win twice in a row or I was going home. GT never simulated that level of pressure so I think it is important it starts trying to.

Congratulations on getting to Silverstone. Even though you didn't get pole, at least you can legitimately say that you are one of the best GT Players on the planet:) plus you got to drive fast cars and meet Kaz. It's a once in a lifetime experience. And it was good to read your perspective of what it is really like racing for real. Well done!👍

Career mode and of course the possibility to die in the game.....

EDIT: (not that serious about the last one)

Putting in a simpler way, I can imagine a online based game (meaning, no more career mode) like, for instance, the virtua fighter showdown. Robust server, reliable engine. Possibly something more specific for GTA purposes...
Or a tv reality show, how knows...

Could mean absolutely anything.
Even people who understand his mother tongue say its vague. Translating a vague statement into another language won't clarify.

As for drama we have plenty of that anyway. Lol.

Edit. Good luck Dessy.

Could mean absolutely anything.
Even people who understand his mother tongue say its vague. Translating a vague statement into another language won't clarify.

As for drama we have plenty of that anyway. Lol.

Edit. Good luck Dessy.

Yes.

I don't care. It sounds pointless as for one thing, it's meaningless. Secondly it's not physics or a car list.

Make the Drama DLC, work on the physics, the car list, tuning, and livery editor.

What i'm hoping for is that PD implement the ability to run online race series like a lot of us do here on GTPlanet. Thats basically a must for GT6. If he wants human drama then he needs actual humans.

Why so ambiguous Kaz? I don't think he really gives a damn about the game anymore, seems it's just a cash cow that he uses to support his passion for real world motorsports.
The GT6 hype train is starting to gain momentum. However, having taken GT5 to the face, I'll not be boarding until I see what kind of reception the finished game gets, when eventually released.

Last edited:
Personally for me drama is when you have something to lose whether the word was translated correctly or not. Someone mentioned having money on the race, why not, obviously you would have to be the legal age and so on but why not, there are poker sites and gambling on TV. And we live in such a digital world that money is digitally transferred anyway. Another thing is PD should promote there game more by offering a better way to visualise the racing this would then create a market for companies to advertise which would open the doors for you the player to be sponsored with a livery I mean PD already do the work by the offering online events, Rooms with driver rankings and entry costs basically take the real world racing business and incorporate it in the game. Just two pennies food for thought.

There's a cash cow for you.

When you have a bad crash you die, followed by a harrowing 2 hour cut scene showing your mourning family and your funeral.

During a rainstorm as well. And your younger brother who you had a falling out with a few years earlier watches from a hillside in the distance, alone in the rain. Your sobbing mother glances to the hillside, sensing your brother's presence, but he is gone. Oh the drama.

During a rainstorm as well. And your younger brother who you had a falling out with a few years earlier watches from a hillside in the distance, alone in the rain. Your sobbing mother glances to the hillside, sensing your brother's presence, but he is gone. Oh the drama.

You're mother utterly bereft at the loss of her eldest son tragically commits suicide. You're younger brother who never had the opportunity to reconcile his differences with his estranged racing driver brother and now distraught at losing his much beloved mother overdoses on glue and is found dead several weeks later in the grand valley speedway tunnel meters away from the scene of your fatal accident.

Last edited:
Id like to hope it is racing drama. Safety cars, damages repaired through pitstop, online team racing with driverchange but same car (24h racing through internet), online tournaments with qualifying sessions, qualifying sessions offline too, fatal accidents and you need to start all over with new guy.

Funny. Everyone keeps saying how GT is the same old boring game formula, and now Kaz mentions something new and almost everyone complains again. Can we at least see how this stuff is implemented in the game before hating everything?

I think it's funny how people are just coming up with their own ideas for what he means then other people are being dissapointed. One guy in another thread even managed to decide "human drama" = PS4 game.

Mike712
overdoses on glue and is found dead several weeks later in the grand valley speedway tunnel meters away from the scene of your fatal accident.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just laughed so hard a coworker came into my office to see what was so funny. Kind of hard to explain. :scared: :lol:

Back