What do you think Kaz means by "human drama"?

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 136 comments
United States
New York
thepatriots
This thread is not an opportunity to extrapolate wildly and post your own personal wish list. Be real folks. Human drama /=/ GT6 is a PS4 game.

Japanese to English translation by SHIRAKAWA Akira. The word "drama" may not be entirely accurate. Keep this in mind when posting.

Q. What do you think is the next big step we can expect to see [...] ?

A. What could be called the next step is right what you are experiencing in this "GT Academy". Racing, I think Jann has probably some experience with it too, is actually a human "fiction", a "fiction" [involving] communication between people. I personally would like Gran Turismo to address that, in a way or another.

Kazunori Yamauchi Hopes to Acheive “Human Drama” in Next Gran Turismo

Last week, Kazunori Yamauchi joined the European GT Academy finalists at Race Camp and spoke with them, answering some of their questions.
A video of his session with the UK and Ireland finalists has hit the web, which you can see above.
The question that prompted the most interesting response was asked by GTPlanet user and finalist Des Foley (Dessy182), who wanted to know what the next “big step” would be for the Gran Turismo series:
“The next step is exactly what you are experiencing here at GT Academy. Racing is a human drama and I would like to achieve that in the next game.”
Although his answer is classically ambiguous, it likely hints at an evolution of the online and social aspects that were first introduced in the series with Gran Turismo 5. How that will translate into specific features, of course, remains to be seen.

Personally, I found this statement to be very interesting. As Jordan said, it is typical Kaz vagueness. This begs the question, what do you think he meant.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Hopefully having proper AI is the main driving force in achieving this human drama. Currently we are racing against the most insultingly poor AI and a complete rebuild should achieve a feeling of driving with people.

I think he intends to go beyond things like Ai. Things like giving Ai drivers a story and a background. Make them characters. I think the second component will be an option to enable greater consequences for loosing and crashing. Consistently perform poorly, you loose a bonus that comes from a certain sponsor. Crash and you have to pay for the damages. Finally make racing a team effort. Have a team mate, pit crew, manager, etc. All with their own story.

Moving to online. I would look at what, oddly enough, COD is doing with Black Ops 2. Turn GT6 online into a global broadcast for everyone to watch. Just like racing on TV. If anyone has ever watched iRacingTV, something like that. Watching the GT Academy semi's this year as great and hopefully a sign of more to come.

The cynical side of me says it will be another under developed feature or experience. Sadly I'm quite confident that is what it will turn out to be.

But what would I like human drama to mean? The addition of a car chief on the radio or a broadcaster like Murray Walker or Paul Page to help bring the action alive with a human touch. Maybe the ability to gain or lose sponsors in career mode that pay you a salary every X amount of days in addition to your winnings.

Or make the racing series we compete in feel more like a career by allowing us to compete in multiple seasons, re-writing the record book with lap records, poles, wins, and other stats that finally have meaning.

There's alot they could do, but I dont have much confidence in that

He could be referring to a realistic AI. He could also be referring to a GT6 mixed along with The Sims, where you can create good relationships to get cheap stuff and whatnot.

So, basically, it's almost impossible to logically speculate from what he said, because it can refer to so many things.

1241Penguin
He could be referring to a realistic AI. He could also be referring to a GT6 mixed along with The Sims, where you can create good relationships to get cheap stuff and whatnot.

So, basically, it's almost impossible to logically speculate from what he said, because it can refer to so many things.

I believe that was Kaz's point. Possible to make people wonder a lot. Maybe even suggestions from them?

I believe that was Kaz's point. Possible to make people wonder a lot. Maybe even suggestions from them?
I thought Kaz learnt his lesson the first time people were disappointed when they didn't see what was "implied."

1241Penguin
I thought Kaz learnt his lesson the first time people were disappointed when they didn't see what was "implied."

:lol: well you never know!
Also recently played forza 4, they have koennsegg and Hennesey

From what he said and the context it was said in, I am leaning towards an online based event structure where the AI are no longer, but each car has a human driver. The 'human Drama' was referred to in line with the drama unfolding during GT Academy race camp, so having 'human' opponents that can cause your race to be ruined or end (if damage becomes more detrimental to car performance) and therefore your position in the championship or event will bring a huge element of 'human drama' to the game?

Just my thought on it.

Instead of 2 and 3 laps to catch the leader from the back of the pack they are now going to give you just 1 lap and 1 attempt to complete the mission. Thus causing human drama.

Yamauchi is basically saying (in Japanese) that racing actually involves communication, social interaction between different people, i.e. teamwork.

Only time will tell what exactly KY is talking about. He certainly keeps the conversation going about his current project. Let's hope for a more realistic AI, less rabbit chasing, a little put em' in the wall, emotion!!!!!!!!

Instead of 2 and 3 laps to catch the leader from the back of the pack they are now going to give you just 1 lap and 1 attempt to complete the mission. Thus causing human drama.

...LOL!

From what he said and the context it was said in, I am leaning towards an online based event structure where the AI are no longer, but each car has a human driver. The 'human Drama' was referred to in line with the drama unfolding during GT Academy race camp, so having 'human' opponents that can cause your race to be ruined or end (if damage becomes more detrimental to car performance) and therefore your position in the championship or event will bring a huge element of 'human drama' to the game?

Just my thought on it.

But seriously I agree with this guy, I think we will have an online career mode...

Keep in mind he said "hopes"

Theres been plenty of things Kaz has mentioned as wanting to be in Gran Turismo that never happened

SHIRAKAWA Akira
Yamauchi is basically saying (in Japanese) that racing actually involves communication, social interaction between different people, i.e. teamwork.

Thanks for that clarification.

The question is, how does that translate into gameplay?

Maybe a career mode where users have just to be "race pilots" instead of managers/engineers/mechanicians/test drivers/etc ?

I guess you have your own team and all like in real life along with a bit of Sims in. If you Roleplay with dooglers you'll know what I'm talking about

Most likely this means there will be a "story mode" in wich you have to progress with some artificially introduced drama.
If only Kaz would focus on the things that would put this franchize in the 21st century...

I think he wants more consequences for the actions we do... e.g. ramming A.I., sliding through walls, aggressive passing, etc.

I think there will be road rage.

Cars towing caravans on the Nurburgring

And side missions, like, your missus is cooking dinner but runs out of milk. How is she going to scramble the eggs?
You have 5 minutes to get to the shops or dinner will be ruined.

I think it will be a GT Academy related career mode.
Where you start competing in karts and end racing in 24hr. Le Mans. With lots of missions to keep you busy for a long time.

Or online Championships.

Teamwork could be used to get a better car setup. For example, you could complain that the car understeers and the team could come up with suggestions on how to improve that. That would mean that Gran Turismo needs to implement an expert system on car setup and handling. Also, during a race you could get audible feedback on how your race is progressing (where you are losing time for example) and what your opponents are up to (catching up or pitting, etc).

Thanks Akira, but can you give us more? Teamwork? Is that an assumption? Could he mean direct competition online as A-Spec? Or like GT Academy is A-Spec online, B-Spec offline, C-Spec.. . .
Autolog?

Well the first thing that comes to my mind is a video clip of your driver, having come last in a race, taking off his helmet and throwing it on the ground. Or a pair of shaking fists after a crash.

It would be nice to see your A- and B-spec opponents with a bit more substance to them, for example, personality, maybe a profile and history, etc. You are able to meet them at various races - they are not just random names on a screen (and very un-racing-driver-like names they are too. You know what I mean. Drivers should have fast-sounding names).

My only concern is that whatever he means, it materialises into something which is truly realistic, and has meaning to players all over the world (and not just to the Japanese video gaming world). I can't get the behaviour of the GT5 crowds out of my head...getting up and sitting down repeatedly, raising their fists like at a power ballad tribute gig, and making monkey hooting noises. You will not find this behaviour at any racing circuit anywhere in the world.

First thing that came to my mind was Gran Turismo the kind of game like Toca Race Driver...
But for me the best thing that makes Gran Turismo is the economy, when you have to buy good enough cars, spend money for only upgrades that you need etc.

@Inixi, trouble is, the economy is too easy (I think). Almost everyone is a multi-millionaire. Maxxing-out a car is the work of minutes.

If the 'economy' was tougher, and money was tighter...then that would be interesting!

Thanks Akira, but can you give us more? Teamwork? Is that an assumption? Could he mean direct competition online as A-Spec? Or like GT Academy is A-Spec online, B-Spec offline, C-Spec.. . .
Autolog?

He means basically communication in racing as in drivers, from what I understand anyway. :)

Back