R-R Wraith(Ghost Coupe):Fastest, Most Powerful and Sportiest R-R ever

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 109 comments
I believe that it's still expected to be a 2-door when announced.

The shape of the leading edge of the 'front' door certainly suggests they are suicide doors, in which case those mock rears, which look to be only 6 or 7 inches wide at the bottom, would be rendered redundant.

I'm going to pull a James May here, and say that they should not be testing this car at the Nurburgring. I'm sorry, but a Rolls Royce on a racetrack? Really? Sportiness and speed are okay in a Rolls, but it should still be comfortable and calm. Who buys a Rolls Royce because it's fast around corners?

The fact is the car develops 560+hp and will be capable of very high top speeds. Whether or not it's primary purpose is lap times or luxury mile-munching, the fact is it might be driven in this manner by it's owner and Rolls Royce/BMW need to make sure the car is safe, comfortable and relatively competent at these speeds.

I'm really looking forward to this car and I will buy one... on the small proviso I jackpot the lottery.

2014-rolls-royce-ghost-coupe-corniche-spy-shots_100394966_m.jpg

Looks like a Mustang. :lol:

I don't see why so many people seem to dislike this car?

Coupes are nothing new to Rolls Royce and chances are this will be a very good car.

I don't understand the mentality that Rolls Royce are only meant to be driven by chauffeurs and never driven by the actual owner of the car. Some of the cars they make are meant to be driven in, others are meant to be driven, and others are meant for both.

Ghost coupe will be called Wraith
Rolls-Royce-Wraith-2%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Now, we have a name for that car as Rolls-Royce today confirmed it as the all-new Wraith adding that its world premiere will occur at the Geneva Motor Show on March 5, 2013, with first deliveries to customers expected in the fourth quarter of this year.

“Rolls-Royce Wraith will draw superlatives when it is unveiled in Geneva,” said Rolls Royce CEO Torsten Müller-Ötvös, during the company’s World Dealer Conference in London this morning.

“Expect the boldest design, the most dramatic performance and the most powerful Rolls-Royce that has ever played host to the famous Spirit of Ecstasy figurine,” he added. “We will present a model whose starting point is luxury, refinement and exclusivity, traits that have made Rolls-Royce the world’s pinnacle luxury good for the last 108 years. This is a car not only defined by a timeless elegance, but one that encapsulates a sense of power, style and drama.”
CarScoop

I like how it's a coupe but it's still the size of Kuwait.

When was a Rolls-Royce ever small? It wouldn't look good at all if it was the size of a 911, Mustang or something of that matter. They're supposed to be big. They're supposed to have presence on the road unlike any other car.

When was a Rolls-Royce ever small? It wouldn't look good at all if it was the size of a 911, Mustang or something of that matter. They're supposed to be big. They're supposed to have presence on the road unlike any other car.

Yeah I know that. But when I think of coupe I think of the cars you just mentioned. A Rolls is normally not the first car that comes to mind in that category.

I love large luxry coupes. From the big coupes from the late 20's, 30's, etc to the big luxury coupes from the good old US of A, like Lincolns, Buicks and Cadillacs, and even the newer coupes like the Mercedes CL, and the coachbuilt Xenatec Maybach coupes.

Something about a large, very shapely coupe with all the bells and whistles of a larger 4 door or more is incredibly alluring to me.

One day...

With that said, I can't wait to see this final product.

I like the photo. It's classy and expensive looking, without being over the top. However, I'd ditch the two tome paint.

I like it. Looks like a RR coupe should, even though it seems odd to have one being developed. Big, menacing road presence.

Yeah I know that. But when I think of coupe I think of the cars you just mentioned. A Rolls is normally not the first car that comes to mind in that category.

Er.......

modelpicture.php

166140673724637813_1D5p5718_c.jpg

3014261.jpg

and obviously....

Rolls_Royce_Phantom_Coupe_Mirage_01.jpg

And those are just the production models, I didn't bother to find the countless pre- and postwar coachbuilt coupés.
Coupé is just a (rather subjective sometimes) description for a type of bodyshell, it doesn't have anything to do with size or performance.

Last edited:
I like it. Looks like a RR coupe should, even though it seems odd to have one being developed. Big, menacing road presence.

As analog points out, it's nothing new. But also, BMW have said they don't really see the point in having a big(ger) BMW coupe above the 6-er, but they do need a vehicle in that segment to compete, given this is built off an existing BMW platform it makes a lot of sense.

Bring on the next teaser photo.

I don't get why people oppose the idea, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. I have strong views too. I do, however, love the idea of a personal luxury car. A two place car with a powerful engine, medium size footprint, and really luxurious inteior would be a great daily driver. However, it looks like the Wraith will be fairly big, with four seats. Still cool, IMO.

I don't understand why most people care about what cars RR makes anyway. Since Maybach was discontinued (again), Rolls-Royce is once again the most irrelevant car company in the world.

Er.......

And those are just the production models, I didn't bother to find the countless pre- and postwar coachbuilt coupés.
Coupé is just a (rather subjective sometimes) description for a type of bodyshell, it doesn't have anything to do with size or performance.

Yeah I know they are all nice and pretty cars, but tell me to think of a coupe and a Rolls won't be the first name to roll off my tongue.:dopey:

That said, all the RR's I've seen are of the four door variant in Florida.

I don't understand why most people care about what cars RR makes anyway. Since Maybach was discontinued (again), Rolls-Royce is once again the most irrelevant car company in the world.

Why is it irrelevant? Because you personally don't like them? Sales figures prove there's plenty of demand even in this economic crisis, making them objectively relevant (if that's a criteria for relevance that is, at least it proves it makes sense to build them).
Maybach could've worked as well if the cars weren't hideous and incredibly vulgar, I'm pretty sure there is a market for them if they had the same elegance and presence as a 600 Pullman.

Yeah I know they are all nice and pretty cars, but tell me to think of a coupe and a Rolls won't be the first name to roll off my tongue.:dopey:

That said, all the RR's I've seen are of the four door variant in Florida.

There's a difference between the first association with the word coupé and thinking a certain association (Rolls and coupé) is an unlikely one.
I know you didn't mention it being unlikely (but I thought it was suggested in your remark) and whilst I also think of other brands first when the name coupé is mentioned, when the name Rolls-Royce is mentioned however, the coupés they've built come flowing by alongside their saloons. ;)

What makes you say they're irreverent? They're really common around here. Common as in I see less new 911s than these things. Just because they hold themselves to a higher standard than most automakers, doesn't make them irrelevant.

analog
Why is it irrelevant? Because you personally don't like them? Sales figures prove there's plenty of demand even in this economic crisis, making them objectively relevant (if that's a criteria for relevance that is, at least it proves it makes sense to build them).

With 3,538 units sold world wide last year, I wouldn't exactly call it "plenty", although that is a decent increase for the marque. I was actually amazed to hear of a 30% increase, to be honest...that's something every car maker would dream about.

Personally, I'be never been a fan of their stuff, since to me, most of the "value" comes from the fine interior workmanship and large presence without being a medium-duty truck. It's a product from Another Era, which I can dig, but for that price, you could just a buy an amazing classic car (or a few really nice ones) built during That Era. To each his own, I suppose.

Once you have driven a Rolls, you'll understand why they exist. Even the old cars drive like a floating carpet. And if you have the money to buy and drive them, why not?

With 3,538 units sold world wide last year, I wouldn't exactly call it "plenty", although that is a decent increase for the marque. I was actually amazed to hear of a 30% increase, to be honest...that's something every car maker would dream about.

Personally, I'be never been a fan of their stuff, since to me, most of the "value" comes from the fine interior workmanship and large presence without being a medium-duty truck. It's a product from Another Era, which I can dig, but for that price, you could just a buy an amazing classic car (or a few really nice ones) built during That Era. To each his own, I suppose.

I meant relatively speaking as a Rolls inherently isn't a mass market product, still, a 30% increase in an economic downturn (probably a lot of Chinese sales I guess) to me is also impressive.

I think in general that those able to pay the asking price are able to buy those amazing classic cars as well if they wanted (additionally) and I've read a car journalist mentioning a lot of the interior ambiance/driving experience a Rolls offers can be gained from driving a current Range Rover too for a fraction of the price.

I sure wouldn't buy a Rolls first if I had that amount of money but if money wasn't a concern at all (if only) I certainly would opt for a Roller in my dream garage, although perhaps not a current one.
I kinda like their current design language as well (although the Ghost is much more elegant to my eyes than a Phantom), certainly prefer it over Bentley's, but I saw a Phantom recently at the traffic lights and its sheer size (it's gigantic) was bordering on the ridiculous.

I bet that in the press release for the Wraith, Rolls won't mention anything to do with 'sportiness' but rather use terms relating to 'dynamic performance'.

Back