R-R Wraith(Ghost Coupe):Fastest, Most Powerful and Sportiest R-R ever

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 109 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
the new Ghost coupe will likely be more powerful than the Ghost sedan on which it's based.

which may or may not revive the Corniche name, will be the fastest production car ever built by Rolls-Royce as well as the British marque’s first performance-oriented model in more than 50 years.

expected to feature a turbocharged 6.6-liter V-12 rated at around 600 horsepower.

coupe will also be lighter than its sedan counterpart (perhaps as much as 440 pounds lighter), and its chassis tuned for improved performance. Look for uprated brakes and tires, stiffer suspension and a 10-millimeter lowered ride height.
Source:MotorAuthority

2014-rolls-royce-ghost-coupe-corniche-spy-shots_100394963_m.jpg

2014-rolls-royce-ghost-coupe-corniche-spy-shots_100394966_m.jpg

2014-rolls-royce-ghost-coupe-corniche-spy-shots_100394970_m.jpg

Last edited:
Yeeup, I'd buy one. I love the Phantom Coupe, and since the Ghost is better looking than the Phantom, this should be great!

Hmm. Make it Gorgeous, otherwise it won't work. I saw the Ghost once, and it wasn't bad looking, but it could have been better. I hope this coupe is really nice looking, and that it drives well enough to compete against the Bentley C-GT.

Hmm. Make it Gorgeous, otherwise it won't work. I saw the Ghost once, and it wasn't bad looking, but it could have been better. I hope this coupe is really nice looking, and that it drives well enough to compete against the Bentley C-GT.

Understated elegance, that's what it will be all about, I wouldn't expect it to be too far from the Ghost in terms of looks at all. It will have to be a solid simple design to complement the RR line-up, and hide it's own bulk.

Is that a third door I spy back there, or is the camouflage making me see things?

Interesting. If I'm not mistaken the Ghost is based on the 7 series, so could a Ghost coupe mean an 8-series? Or I'm just over thinking everything. :lol:

I don't like the fastback look though...

Is that a third door I spy back there, or is the camouflage making me see things?
It looks like it may have RX8 type doors but, as you say, it could just be the camouflage making it look that way.

But anyway, RR don't need a performance flagship. That's not what they're about.

Hmmm, I love the saloon Ghost but this doesn't look like an improvement to its styling. Will have to see it without camo.

Well, they do try and make you see things that aren't there. I can't see a Rolls Royce hatchback, but a coupe is sporty and sophisticated.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it without the camo. Absolutely nothing wrong with a R-R coupe in my view - it isn't the first and it won't be the last. Bit more emphasis on the owner/driver than the owner/chauffeur, so it'll be more about looks and driving than acres of rear space.

No doubt it'll be quite an imposing beast too.

Bit more emphasis on the owner/driver than the owner/chauffeur, so it'll be more about looks and driving than acres of rear space.
Traditionally, that's what Bentley was for but, as they're now owned by different people, RR must feel as if it has to branch out a bit.

E28
Interesting. If I'm not mistaken the Ghost is based on the 7 series, so could a Ghost coupe mean an 8-series? Or I'm just over thinking everything. :lol:

I don't like the fastback look though...

From SCOTT over on Bimmerpost:

"The "Ghost" Coupe and DropHead Coupe is built on a shortened version of the current architecture found underneath the 5er , 5er Touring , 5er GT , 6er , Gran Coupe , 7er and Ghost. "

Sorry, I don't think this means an 8er is any more likely, given how many models share the same architecture.

From SCOTT over on Bimmerpost:

"The "Ghost" Coupe and DropHead Coupe is built on a shortened version of the current architecture found underneath the 5er , 5er Touring , 5er GT , 6er , Gran Coupe , 7er and Ghost. "

Sorry, I don't think this means an 8er is any more likely, given how many models share the same architecture.

You think it's less likely? I'd think it's more likely, what with the cost-savings of using an existing, tried and true platform made with mechanical bits from the 7-Series.

You think it's less likely? I'd think it's more likely, what with the cost-savings of using an existing, tried and true platform made with mechanical bits from the 7-Series.

Even for BMW it'd be a niche too far. They've virtually saturated that end of the market between the 7er, 6er, 6er Gran Coupe, 5er, 5er GT... with fast versions of most of those... and in two or three years they'll be fielding the i8, which will be another fast, expensive coupe.

There's no reason for BMW to re-introduce the 8-Series. At least not in the form you're hinting at. The fact that "i8" contains the number 8 suggests that BMW is filling the niche with that, rather than churning out something marginally bigger and faster than the already big and fast 6-Series.

With BMW down sizing cylinder counts across the board, i can't see what they could possibly use to power a potential 8-series that would trump the M6/6-series but wouldn't totally tread on the Ghost Coupe/New Corniche's toes.

Any thoughts I might have of a luxury car manufacturer building a sports coupe are immediately washed away by the idea of a Rolls Royce barge with 600hp powersliding a crease into the road.

No, I said I don't think it is any more likely. The cost savings would already be there from the other BMW models that share this platform, building a ghost coupe will not really ease things any further.

I'd like to see an 8-er. But we won't see a new one of those until 2018 at the earliest, I'd put money on it.

is this a Mustang mule with a RR engine underhood? Man that SURE looks like a freaking Mustang.

How do we know Ford isn't tricking us with RR wheels and a grille? :sly:

My money's on ugly, either way.

Unless they really Re-think the rear, It'll look ugly. I dont like the space between the top of the spoiler and the top of the taillights... Almost a bit DB7/Original Vanquish.

The front just looks like... well... A Rolls Royce. Can't really complain.

I'm going to pull a James May here, and say that they should not be testing this car at the Nurburgring. I'm sorry, but a Rolls Royce on a racetrack? Really? Sportiness and speed are okay in a Rolls, but it should still be comfortable and calm. Who buys a Rolls Royce because it's fast around corners?

Testing it there is okay, crowing about lap times wouldn't be.

Part of being "the best car in the world" means it needs to be able to cope with whatever situation its owner (or their chauffeur) may need to throw at it. The 'Ring is a good environment to hone the car's high-speed handling without doing those speeds on public roads.

Most higher-performance vehicles are tested at the 'Ring these days. It's the ones who make it the be-all and end-all that are the ones you have to be wary of...

I take it this is a Roller that is based on the four-door "coupe" idea that's being popularized by the Audi A7 and Mercedes CLS? Why, for any reason, would they want to do this?

*sigh*

I suppose if people want to pay for it, why not.

While we're at it, Bentley may as well use this "sporty" Roller as an excuse to produce a Brooklands successor, right?

Back