2014 United Sports Car Championship

• Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
jjaisli
:) Point taken.

I fully expect to see an overwhelming majority of DP vs LMP2 cars, at least in 2014. It makes sense. There are a lot of established GA teams who already have the equipment. And I think with the pending merger, there was a lot of uncertainty in the ALMS this year in the Prototype class. Mazda delaying it's proposed LMP2 skyactive engine didn't help matters. But I suspect things could and likely will change the following year. The fact that the two series are merging into one, in and of itself, creates an interesting dynamic. There will be less competition to sign sponsors, potentially more TV and ad revenue and more opportunities for former or existing motorsports teams in other series to join in. I think you'll see the healthier, better funded teams (from both series) will flourish and the weaker teams will quickly fade into obscurity.

I'm ready to see Dyson, corvette racing, and srt motorsports return to the high banks of Daytona.

Mac K
As long as Dyson is competitive again..

They finished on the podium in class at long beach :P All jokes aside, I would like to see a return of Dyson to its former glory.

That's 10 people combined for 2 DP.

It takes 12 people to work a single LMP2 car.

Right, but I'm willing to bet that a single DP can't be run by 5 people. It's probably more like 7 or 8 for the first car, and then 3 for each additional car. A two car LMP2 team probably wouldn't take twice as many people

hawkeye122
Right, but I'm willing to bet that a single DP can't be run by 5 people. It's probably more like 7 or 8 for the first car, and then 3 for each additional car. A two car LMP2 team probably wouldn't take twice as many people

That's all specualtion there, but it makes sense.

From another forum...
*The following excerpts come from a discussion with an individual who was at the meeting with the DP owners and constructors at the Road Atlanta meeting. Scot Elkins agenda was to get everyone on the same page with speeding up the DP's, to get them closer to P2. In advance, the owners had gotten together, and agreed that they were going with the stance that they weren't going to spend any of their own money to do so. When Scot tried to get the discussion on topic to speeding up the DP's, he was repeatedly shot down. J. France had stated that he does not want one of those "little fag cars" winning a GA race, in reference to P2's, stated to Shank.*When the meeting started there were hundreds of unanswered questions, after the meeting there were multiples more. They couldn't answer simple questions such as the theme of the paddock presentations, as the ALMS are quite a bit more flashy, and expensive. Grand Am hasn't heard directly from Audi, but Dallara has on DP's. Most of the DP paddock is freaked out about that possibility.

LMP2 cars are 'faggy' and teams dont even want to upgrade their DP's. :lol: Can't say I blame them since this current situation is their comfort zone. This is the France family talking. This guy is a joke. Just like the comments saying a P2 car couldn't last 24hrs at Daytona. Le Mans is run on public roads :lol: This was what I was saying from the get go. The majority don't even want P2 cars. I won't be surprised if there isn't any. This is the mentality of the people in this series.

Last edited:
omg, that's just embarrassing. Inb4 the apologists start trying to back this guy up and his neato choice of words.

Are there seriously bro-dozer dudes running these teams? Can't believe it's coming back down to domestics vs. imports. I thought that type of hate was relegated to the streets.

If you don't want an LMP2 car driven by some teenagers to drive circles around you, then take the necessary steps to bring your cars into the 21st century.

If you don't want to pay for it, merge teams together 'cause you sure as hell aren't gonna get handouts from Grand-Am.

That J.France guy needs to lose the insecurity.

Btw, I wouldn't say this one remark should represent the mentality of all the owners and such. Of course journalists are gonna report this particular blurb first.

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling that J.France is J.C. France? It wouldn't be the first time he's said something idiotic :rolleyes:

Well isn't that just a peachy feeling they give us! I'd laugh pretty hard they do everything limit an P2 and they still win first race! I am a diehard DP guy but enough is enough and stop playing games with this crap, it's not like this is new or we don't have time to figure out things out but being closed minded is only going to hurt the entire series and gives you less time to find right upgrades or whatever.

From another forum...

LMP2 cars are 'faggy' and teams dont even want to upgrade their DP's. :lol: Can't say I blame them since this current situation is their comfort zone. This is the France family talking.
Not surprised at all! But it isn't just the LMP2 cars that the Prototurtles have to worry about, LMP-C and GT-E are faster than them!

Some numbers from Mid-Ohio last year since both series raced here.

1:11.019--P1 HPD-ARX-03a
1:13.230--P2 HPD-ARX-03b
1:15.107--PC FLM-09

1:18.079--DP Corvette DP
1:19.298--GTE BMW E92 M3

1:25.083--GT Camaro GT-R
1:25.130--GTC Porsche GT3 cup

DP owners are fighting battle they can only lose. The DPs have to be faster. The GT LeMans cars are too close to them on pace. And its not just P2 cars which are faster, the PC cars are faster as well.

I'm seriously doubting Jim France said what that other forum claims he did. He doesn't have a history of saying offensive statements. If he did, I'm not going to stand by him. I personally think it was a statement taken out of context because "you can't believe everything on the internet" I wouldn't be surprised if J.C. France made that statement though. He's a real winner.

Well... Why not have USCR just find the upgrades and call it good? I thought Grand-Am already subsidized the DP teams.

It's gonna come down to who blinks first. And I fear it'll be IMSA and not the team owners. That said, the owners are getting a bit outrageous at this point. Why should it just be the P2 teams who have to compromise?

As it stands, I can't see any P2 teams staying. No one wants to run a heavily compromised car all year. Especially with the negative attitude from the DP twams

I really hope this is all just media exaggeration. With bad blood of this nature I would hate to see illegal contact to purposely knock out prototypes just so these guys can make their point. It would be dangerous and stupid. If there is bad blood going into next season I hope the officials have a driver meeting to lay down some strict rules on avoidable contact and enforce strict penalties for anything that even appears to be intentional.

I don't like where all this is going. I'm afraid that if this is all real that the series will be too caught up in controversy and the premiere sports car racing in the US will be lost.

I'm seriously doubting Jim France said what that other forum claims he did. He doesn't have a history of saying offensive statements. If he did, I'm not going to stand by him. I personally think it was a statement taken out of context because "you can't believe everything on the internet" I wouldn't be surprised if J.C. France made that statement though. He's a real winner.

It wasn't some 'internet warrior' making up claims, bud. Its J C stating this. Point is he's leading a corral of these 'team owners' and their 1950's mentality of seclusion and delusion. Anyone that forgives this crap is basically in line of the same thought.

It wasn't some 'internet warrior' making up claims, bud. Its J C stating this. Point is he's leading a corral of these 'team owners' and their 1950's mentality of seclusion and delusion. Anyone that forgives this crap is basically in line of the same thought.

I knew it, Am not one bit surprised this is the moron that made that comment. I don't respect anyone with this BS train of thought.

JC France? You mean this guy? Oh god no..

jc_france_arrested_on_drug_charges_street_racing_grandson_bill_france.jpg

I love how people are getting all up in arms over a "forum post", really? It's not official and purely speculation, I thought you all knew better. Until a better source is cited and these rumors are confirmed true, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Just looking at him is bringing the 'arrogant pin-head' personal rage to front. Who does this guy think he is, Bernie Ecclestone?

Mac K
The fact Brumos even signed him at one point in time makes me sick to my stomach...
I'm 100% positive money changed hands under the table that made it worth Brumos's while to sign him :yuck:
BKGlover
Just looking at him is bringing the 'arrogant pin-head' personal rage to front. Who does this guy think he is, Bernie Ecclestone?

He's the poster child for a grown up spoiled rich brat.

BKGlover
You'd be surprised how many questions that answers. He isn't Brian France's uncle by chance, is he?

I'm not exactly sure how he is related.

Here's a different thing to talk about: all the mumbo jumbo abour prototype BoP, but what about the gt class? Gagt has way more power than alms gtc. A gtc spec car runs 2 seconds a lap slower at Daytona than a gagt car. Plus, there are prep 2 tube frame gagt chassis that are in the mix. The new 991 Porsche is also coming to America next year. From what I've heard, its much faster than the 997. Any thoughts?

You'd be surprised how many questions that answers. He isn't Brian France's uncle by chance, is he?

If I recall, he is the son of Jim France and grandson of Bill France.

That makes it even worse.. poor old Bill.. if only he was still around.

Yeah. It blows my mind that People like him are even related to Bill and that this is the son of Jim, the guy in charge who is in a mindset that is completely the opposite.

RACECAR
Yeah. It blows my mind that People like him are even related to Bill and that this is the son of Jim, the guy in charge who is in a mindset that is completely the opposite.

J.C. is not the voice of grand am by any means. No one take him with more than a grain of salt. He's full of "extraneous barnyard material" The France family isn't that way at all.

Here's a different thing to talk about: all the mumbo jumbo abour prototype BoP, but what about the gt class? Gagt has way more power than alms gtc. A gtc spec car runs 2 seconds a lap slower at Daytona than a gagt car. Plus, there are prep 2 tube frame gagt chassis that are in the mix. The new 991 Porsche is also coming to America next year. From what I've heard, its much faster than the 997. Any thoughts?

I'll believe that.

As for the above: I think it will be OK for GTC, and I imagine that the ALMS GT cars will get a small boost. the new 911 will, as usual, have the other teams scrambling to keep pace. If all else fails, Maybe we'll see a return of GT1 and GT2, I'm not counting on it though.

Back