You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,192 comments
Also, the Columbus had a mid mounted BMW V12... of a type that could almost be related somehow to the Mclaren F1... so, in effect, with its central drivers seat and its V12, this was a McLaren F1 MPV.... totally.. legit.

The BMW V12 is really cool and this is probably the first MPV tom implement 4WD and rear-wheel-steering to make it turn easier. Awesome stuff behind there but the design is oh.. Looks like a Boeing 747 on the road!

Toyota SARD MC8-R Road car. This is the road version of the SARD MC8-R GT1… The MC8-R GT1 was used in the 90s as a Le Mans prototype against other competitors such as Porsche- 911 GT1, Mercedes- CLK GTR, Nissan R390 GT1, etc.

Road version
4607300007_large.jpg

Race version

5352335452_2a226ea970_z.jpg

Not cool Tornado, I was about to say that. Almost those exact words.

So where can I pick one up? I quite like its odd form.

Also worth noting about the MC8-R, it started life, at some point, as an SW20 MR2. Not that you could really tell. Apart from the corner lights on the bumper, that is. And the taillights. And the general shape of it.

8926_sard_mc8_white_32.jpg

Tornado
That looks like a car from Ridge Racer Type 4. I wonder what other lesser known GT1 road cars there are.

Lotus Espirit GT1
http://www.lotusespritgt1.co.uk/images/MHRacing/Haines-GT2-Privelege-1999_3.jpg]/img]

- Did really bad compared to competitors, but increased Espirit V8 sales :).

[QUOTE="Downhill Dino"]

So where can I pick one up? I quite like its odd form.[/QUOTE]

Go to eBay and buy a hot wheels version.

Edit- just destroyed the quote.

Also worth noting about the MC8-R, it started life, at some point, as an SW20 MR2. Not that you could really tell. Apart from the corner lights on the bumper, that is. And the taillights. And the general shape of it.

I felt it had a familiar shape but couldn't put my finger on it. Very interesting.

Go to eBay and buy a hot wheels version.

On it!

Courage C34

ma-lm95.jpg

Entered in GT1 as well. Damn GT1 was the ish. Looks like a mix of Group C and open top LMP cars.

DLDG-3WSC.jpg

Last edited:
Before the ACO came down on the practice to try to promote closed cockpit GT1 but after they made absolutely sure to ban the 962 after it won again in 1994, half of the cars entered in Le Mans in the mid-90s were Group C cars with the roofs cut off and entered in LMP1. The dual Le Mans winning Porsche WSC was a former Jaguar XJR-14, the Kremer K8 was a 962 with the roof removed, and the Courage C34 and C36 were roof removed versions of the earlier Courage C32 (which was also based on the 962).

Tornado
Before the ACO came down on the practice to try to promote closed cockpit GT1 but after they made absolutely sure to ban the 962 after it won again in 1994, half of the cars entered in Le Mans in the mid-90s were Group C cars with the roofs cut off and entered in LMP1. The dual Le Mans winning Porsche WSC was a former Jaguar XJR-14, the Kremer K8 was a 962 with the roof removed, and the Courage C34 and C36 were roof removed versions of the earlier Courage C32 (which was also based on the 962).

Isn't that something. I never knew.

I don't feel that enough people know about the Italdesign Columbus. I saw this in a Concept Cars buck when I was 7 and it blew my mind.

italdesign_columbus_img_22088.jpg

10__IMG_5119__650_433.jpg

car-italdesign-columbus-7.jpg

That interior looks absolutely sumptuous.

You've used racingsportscars.com too? Great archive, lots of crazy things hiding in there. Found such things I never knew about in there like the one you've posted.

-> Now I know that Pagani wasn't the first manufacturer who used the Zonda name:

De Tomaso Zonda by Ghia '71
DeTomaso-Zonda-1_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

LINK

:dunce:

-> Now I know that Pagani wasn't the first manufacturer who used the Zonda name:

De Tomaso Zonda by Ghia '71
DeTomaso-Zonda-1_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg

LINK

:dunce:

Has the same engine that powered the Pantera. Ford 351 Cleveland. 380 horsepower and 391 lb-ft of torque. Same engine was installed in Mustangs, Cougars, and other passenger cars and trucks.

Back