Granturismo 5 shotoku(shuto) expressway(Wangan(bayshore)?

United States
Greensboro/NC/U
jarod336/GTP_torque
Paperorplastic/ manherollen
In a recent weather video, something sparked my abrupt attention

Is the Shotoku expressway in GT5? theres been obvious signs, like the long stretch of wet highway in the following weather video, and it really looks like it at 0:14,

What do you guys think, it may just be speculation filled wishful thinking, but it seems very obvious.

Personally, I think it might be a new track with a "Special Stage Route5/11" scenery, located on a highway.

I slowed down and assembled together those video sections:

[youtubehd]jWaAMdVlI9w[/youtubehd]

In the last section where the Ferrari slows down there's a toll booth area:

img0248mm.jpg

The map for that section appears to be something like this (drivable section in green):

hypo3.jpg

Last edited:
The video above is not SSR11, but in the same video there are some clues indicating that a completely revamped version of it might be in. Try reading the last posts in the "Is Special Stage R11 in GT5" thread for more related info.

EDITED:

Hm... I found this:

[youtubehd]hCjIvhof-bI[/youtubehd]
(Look at 2:50!!!)

I think that like other Special Stage tracks, that highway track might have been inspired by highways in the Tokyo Bay area. But I don't think it depicts an existing one.

Last edited:
This is SHIRAKAWA Akira's translation of the "we love cars" ad:

"We can drive over different existing cars. From the Nurburgring to the national highway 246,
we can run on world's real roads to our heart's content."

What's highway 246? and it says real roads, i don't know if that means more than real tracks

Don't take that too much literally. It was a quick translation.
That should be referring to Tokyo Route 246, however.

My opinion is still that the bayshore expressway track that TorqueHappen is pointing to is a new Special Stage original track loosely based on real locations.
The scenery of Special Stage tracks has always been made to look much like what can be seen on the Tokyo Bayshore route, and in GT5 probably more than in past games.
Those tracks however were not from the real Tokyo, by looking at the signs for example. Also the road layouts were completely made up as far as I know.

Another example, by the way:

[youtubehd]pQfIsjS0oj0[/youtubehd]

And another similar one to what we already know, although narrower:

[youtubehd]RdASdl4wglo[/youtubehd]

Last edited:
When i was in tokyo in august(visiting family) i got to hit the Wangan in my cousins modified Chaser, awesome experience....i always played the tokyo extreme racer games, but nothing beats driving the actual thing in real life, infact i actually stayed in tokyo 3 years before(2004-2006) but i was only 16 when we got back to the us, but now at 20 i finally got to hit the wangan...and oh man, i can't wait to start at temple university, i am going to visit the wangan every night, and the PA areas... but yea just a little story.

Hmmm...it definitely shows a strong resemblance.👍

By the way, same track?

picture.php

I don't think we ever pegged this one.

it would be awesome if there is the full expressway, I'd just take any car I want and drive causally on it. and meet up with friends at the daikoku PA, and cruise along wangan style!

When i was in tokyo in august(visiting family) i got to hit the Wangan in my cousins modified Chaser, awesome experience....i always played the tokyo extreme racer games, but nothing beats driving the actual thing in real life, infact i actually stayed in tokyo 3 years before(2004-2006) but i was only 16 when we got back to the us, but now at 20 i finally got to hit the wangan...and oh man, i can't wait to start at temple university, i am going to visit the wangan every night, and the PA areas... but yea just a little story.

OT real quick,

I LOVE Chasers!!!!

Ok back on topic.

Hmmm...it definitely shows a strong resemblance.👍

By the way, same track?

I don't think we ever pegged this one.[/QUOTE]

That is supposed to be the newly added tunnel in the last section of SSR5, just before the final chicane.
Again, it looks like all Special Stages are going to look more like actual expressways around Tokyo.

Look at 00:50

[media=youtube]PuolBe8jNaQ[/media]

The more I watch videos such as this one, the more I wonder if this time PD have overdone themselves and put a whole network of expressway roads around a fictional city made to look like Tokyo, in an attempt to cater even to Shutokou Battle (Tokyo Xtreme Racer) players... if yes, GT5 will turn out to be an epic game.

Last edited:
This is SHIRAKAWA Akira's translation of the "we love cars" ad:

"We can drive over different existing cars. From the Nurburgring to the national highway 246,
we can run on world's real roads to our heart's content."

What's highway 246? and it says real roads, i don't know if that means more than real tracks

246 is the Tokyo city track, there's also a small "highway" part on this track.

i think they make all the wangan. I make a quickly map of i think they made.
A majority of the videos are take on the C1 loop (i put the srceens in ramdom on it) but im sure at 80% the screenshoot at the bottom is on the K1 or the B road in the south of the wangan.

Tokyo_Metropolitan_Expressway_map.png

Can you find the exact spots on videos on youtube from the real roads?
So far I've only been able to find overall similar, but not quite the same places on the B road.

The more I watch videos such as this one, the more I wonder if this time PD have overdone themselves and put a whole network of expressway roads around a fictional city made to look like Tokyo, in an attempt to cater even to Shutokou Battle (Tokyo Xtreme Racer) players... if yes, GT5 will turn out to be an epic game.

Really, really hope that you're right in that assumption, that would be almost too good to be true though.
Imagine a linked network of highway sections which trajectory can be chosen whilst driving as opposed to only driving a track round and round or a one way point to point section.
Maybe even a free roam dual carriageway online whereby you can also witness traffic coming the opposite direction ( on the other lane ).
Would also make the driving aspect of the game more realistic, experiencing cars in a way not directly linked to racing only.
Come to think of it, maybe that's why they added horns and turn signal functionality............

Really, really hope that you're right in that assumption, that would be almost too good to be true though.
Imagine a linked network of highway sections which trajectory can be chosen whilst driving as opposed to only driving a track round and round or a one way point to point section.
Maybe even a free roam dual carriageway online whereby you can also witness traffic coming the opposite direction ( on the other lane ).
Would also make the driving aspect of the game more realistic, experiencing cars in a way not directly linked to racing only.
Come to think of it, maybe that's why they added horns and turn signal functionality............

Hmm.... wasn't free roaming mentioned at some point a few years ago?
Also horns, turn signals and high/low beams all together make sense with that idea, true!
However it's still wild speculation for now... I hope to find out more soon.

Start watching from minute 7:50 :

[youtubehd]JYNBTSxi0vQ[/youtubehd]

Compare with the end of this:

[youtubehd]jWaAMdVlI9w[/youtubehd]

Very similar indeed!

Last edited:
Well, something that comes to my mind after seeing these videos is the trailer that came with God of War 3:

[YOUTUBEHD]P8n564AmAf0[/YOUTUBEHD]

I mean, the highway at night in the beggining of the video, I think it may relate.

Well, something that comes to my mind after seeing these videos is the trailer that came with God of War 3:

[YOUTUBEHD]YOUTUBEHD]

I mean, the highway at night in the beggining of the video, I think it may relate.

The track in the beginning appears to be an improved version of Special Stage R5. This tiime however, as we previously discussed, it might have been rebuilt to look even more like as if it came real Tokyo expressway roads.

If I ever need a private investigator I'm coming to you guys first!

There are currently 3 threads debating this track xD the "Is Special Stage Route 11 in GT5?", the "GT5 Master Track List" and this one xD

the pic of the enzo dosent have any gas left zoom in see theres no white line on the gas meter in electronic gas meters it means it's empty.

Last edited:
the pic of the enzo dosent have any gas left zoom in see theres no white line on the gas meter in electronic gas meters it means it's empty.

Are you suggesting there might be petrol stations along these possible highways?
Would also make sense as a starting point as there won't be a start/finish line and no pitstops ( for gas/tyres ).
If only what I just described weren't a wild assumption on my part ( just what I previously mentioned in this tread about horns, indicator functionality and choosing your own trajectory whilst driving ) I might actually get extremely excited about this possibility.

Latest Posts

Back