How to stop Logitech Driving Force GT oscillation problem

• Thread starter Dinø
  • 135 comments
Do *not* waste your money on a Logitech wheel to play with GT5 until they fix this!

We got a new FF wheel for Xmas and the experience has been complete garbage with GT5. When you try to drive in a straight line, the slightest movement off-center causes the force feedback to jerk the wheel excessively in the opposite direction, which then causes the wheel to get jerked back in the other direction.

If you simply let go of the wheel and gas pedal, the wheel will start to oscillate back and forth more and more until your car fishtails and slides to a stop. This is completely absurd. Real cars don't behave this way.

I tried one of the arcade mode tracks where its raining with the Evolution X last night. At high speeds, no matter how tightly I tried to hold the wheel in the center, it would still oscillate. There is enough "slop" internally that even though the wheel you grip isn't moving, the shaft and gears inside are still twitching back and forth.

Why does GT5 suck? In previous GT titles, I thought you could tune things like the dead-zone in the middle, which would probably help alleviate this problem. Is there some hidden settings screen I haven't found yet? The wheel came with a disc, but I think those are just drivers for Windows.

I had a much older Logitech wheel for my PC that was cable driven. That wheel was great when playing NFS Porsche for windows, back in the day. It's too bad it was PC-only. I finally tossed it in the garbage a few months ago.

Another problem with the Force GT is the single, cheap electric motor. Often when turning the wheel slowly, you can feel "notchiness" in the feedback due to either the gears, or the fact that the motor has only 3 poles (meaning the torque it can produce varies a lot depending on the armature's orientation)

so where's the answer to the question? you never tell HOW to stop the oscillation, you just complain about it.
i have this same wheel and love it...haven't had a problem with it. maybe you just need to spend some time practicing with it and tweak your settings. the worst oscillation i experience is down the backstretch in daytona. i've never driven one in real life, but i imagine if you let go of the wheel of a real nascar the same thing would happen.

I only have that problem when I'm screwing around and letting the wheel knock it self around silly... never had your problem because I have enough strength in my arm to grip the wheel properly, and I set the wheel on FFB 8.

OP need to strengthen his upper body, jeez, do you also need a stand when you play rockband cause the guitar is too heavy?

Dinø;4583058
If you simply let go of the wheel and gas pedal, the wheel will start to oscillate back and forth more and more until your car fishtails and slides to a stop. This is completely absurd. Real cars don't behave this way.

You're not suposed to let go the wheel!

Logitech will not "fix" this because there is nothing to fix and it is a beginner wheel and no high-end thing... It's a hundred bucks plastic wheel for god's sake!!!

I've been playing these games since the first and was a member of gran-turismo.com starting in 1998. When that whole thing collapsed I ended up here at GTP. I remember when we used to play these games and enjoy them. I've gotta say, never before have I seen so many whiny crybabies that nitpick every little thing. OP signed up just to complain about the wheel.

Personally, I'm amazed that they can package a quality wheel and sell it at the price point they do. I love this wheel and it feels excellent with GT5.

I've got the magic panacea for fixing the oscillation issue with my DFGT!

You ready for it?

Really?

Here it is!

I hold on to the wheel.

AMAZING!

Seriously folks, it's as simple as that. Yeah, having an adjustable deadzone (or PD programming their FFB better) would be ideal, but c'mon. The thing starts to kick a little when you're blasting down the Mulsanne straight, just don't let it. Realize it's about to happen, clamp down and prevent it. It's really not that hard.

Any of you ever driven a car at track speeds? Particularly on an imperfect surface, you're constantly making little adjustments. I just consider this to be like that. No, I've never had a real car develop a tank-slapper like I've had on motorcycles, but eh. It never happens to me in the game either because I cut it off before it fully develops.

This seems so low on the totem-pole of what's wrong with this game that it barely merits mentioning.

Yep I have this wheel as well and I do not see a problem in GT5. There are a couple of cars that are a bit of a handful. F1 2010 and X1 but the rest are fine. In GT5P it was more of an issue but even then was mostly in the F1 and the Daytona and High speed ring.

The PWTS on GT5P without newer firmware was pretty much undrivable on Daytona. The DFGT was cake by comparrision.

I've never used a wheel until GT5 came out and the DFGT works great. Just like the previous people have said, having a hand or two on the steering wheel works wonders. Holding the wheel also works in real life too.

The FFB effect in steering wheel has to create more than just the resistance when steering. With my G25, not only am I getting the obvious resistance when steering but can also sense the constant weight shift, suspension and mass and even the feeling of inertia.

In short, effects are constantly being transferred onto the wheel so that you can feel the movement of the car. As someone has pointed out, taking your hands off the wheel defeats the whole purpose of using a FFB wheel (that's where Kinect/Move comes in).

Yep I have this wheel as well and I do not see a problem in GT5. There are a couple of cars that are a bit of a handful. F1 2010 and X1 but the rest are fine.

Yea, the rest of the cars are fine as long as you hold on to the wheel properly, but with X1.. no matter how much you squeeze and fight the wheel, the whole car starts to dance on straights. For this reason I have to switch FFB to 1 for X1, otherwise there is no driving it. And even with it, it's not easy. If they could fix this problem for X1, I'd be happy.

The evo x is weird like that though. No matter how hard I try to keep the wheel straight, its the only car in the game which...doesn't. Its always moving left or right it annoys the p*$$ out of me.

Similiar problem but not near as big an issue. I changed my wheel settings in the setup menu from amatuer to pro and it solved a lot of my problem..

I have a DFGT, and it was the best £100 I ever invested. It took me a while (maybe a week) to get used to the steering. I changed the settings until I was able to get a feel for the car I was driving. I am now, after four weeks, just about getting used to using the pedals properly. I have golded many licenses I thought were impossible with a controller. Stick with it, it will make the game far more immersive for you.

One of the best things I did was to make sure the vibration function was turned off, but force feedback turned to about 7.

P.S. why let go of the wheel???

I have a G27 and still have this issue, But like i think nearly everyone else has said i DON'T LET GO OF THE WHEEL.

The same thing happens to me but I do not think it is a problem since there is no reason to let go of the wheel, and just hold on tight.

Its a shame that PD would rather push some overpriced crap than the g25/27 as its pretty much the standard wheel for a good 80% of serious sim/gt players.

To have full support for it would be great, but I cannot see it ever happening though.

I love my g25 but would love the tweaks that GRiD has, wheel dead zone, pedal sensitivity (no need for TCS with a decent setup for that)

The g25 drivers are nothing special and If I can adjust it in a game like DiRt/Grid then I should be able to do it in the best racer on the platform!

Im just hoping Gt6 comes out and blows us ALL away, that is if failoverfl0w doent destroy the ps3 development.

Saying that though, there may be CFW for ps3 with wheel options, its homebrew time and people have been patiently waiting for it so who knows.....

I was happy with my DF GT aswell though I had the same problem with it. Its just bonkers, no car in the real world is gonna go in s-lines on a straight all by itself.

I just gripped the wheel harder and told myself "oh what the hell" but then I tried the Indy 500 with my newly won X1. Anybody who didnt do it, go try it. On level 5 of force feedback its almost impossible to control on the straights. I had to stop after 10 laps because my ankles hurt. Reducing the FF to level 1 didnt help at all as the car was still going crazy on the straights, all it did do was going smoother through the corners where it was totally easy on level 5 already.

I m not one to complain all the time but thats straight up stupid, I would be ashamed if I was at PD. Feels like they didnt even test it.

I was happy with my DF GT aswell though I had the same problem with it. Its just bonkers, no car in the real world is gonna go in s-lines on a straight all by itself.

I just gripped the wheel harder and told myself "oh what the hell" but then I tried the Indy 500 with my newly won X1. Anybody who didnt do it, go try it. On level 5 of force feedback its almost impossible to control on the straights. I had to stop after 10 laps because my ankles hurt. Reducing the FF to level 1 didnt help at all as the car was still going crazy on the straights, all it did do was going smoother through the corners where it was totally easy on level 5 already.

I m not one to complain all the time but thats straight up stupid, I would be ashamed if I was at PD. Feels like they didnt even test it.

Yeah, I tested Indy 500 with X1 as well, and thought it would be a piece of cake. No such luck. There's no way you can do 2 hours of that hell. Then tried it with the Toyota Minolta, and there's no problem, drives smooth as silk.

People get way too defensive up in here.

The OP is right, GT5 should have more options. If I use my DFGT on the PC there are enough options to get the wheel just right (to the point where it won't just oscillate on its own). Don't just jump on him and say "hurr durr hold the wheel or go gym", it just makes you look the dick.

I don't know why he is letting go of the wheel but in real life that wouldn't be an issue.
If I let go of my wheel in my car it goes straight.

If any real life car acted like a GT car, it would be recalled due to defects.

What other settings are you using? If I let go of my wheel it drives straight. I'm using a DFP from GT4. I have all the setting set as realistic as possible. No power assist, simulation setting, ffb set to 8. Try that.

Doing the indy 500 in a x1 with a dfgt if nothing else is a solid workout. Since the wheel kicks like mad any time you are going on a straight line on that track :). Did it 4 time in the minolta which also has the same issue but not nearly as bad as the x1.

The oscillation is a problem, but not a big one, nor is it a deal-breaker in terms of preventing me from enjoying the game or using the wheel.

Okay I have the same problem with the Evo X and it is a big problem and it does make racing down the straights with that thing quite a workout. I do have to say however that I would not go off on some crazy tirade blaming logitech and polyphony for the problem. The fact that this problem only happens with this car leads me to believe that the problem lies therein. If I were to take a guess I would say it has something to do with the AYC settings. I think the car senses slight movements either left or right going down a straight and corrects it by pulling the car slightly in the other direction but ends up over compensating and so it corrects it in the other direction and this starts the back and forth movements that eventually becomes uncontrollable. Now this is just a guess and I wouldn't be surprised if this was not the reason but a least do a little research before you go off putting blame on other people.

Back