How to stop Logitech Driving Force GT oscillation problem

• Thread starter Dinø
  • 135 comments
You don't have to let go the wheel... Try driving one of the Ferrari F1s in a straight line. What a joke.
There needs to be a deadzone adjustment in this game...

Only thing i really and i mean really hate driving with my wheel is the go karts. but i've finished them. rally is a little tough with it, but going 70 on dirt is suppose to feel like that.

I love my wheel and see nothing wrong with it.

I don't know why he is letting go of the wheel but in real life that wouldn't be an issue.
If I let go of my wheel in my car it goes straight.

If any real life car acted like a GT car, it would be recalled due to defects.

Do you let go of your wheel doing 190mph? I wouldn't suggest it. A high performance car with very tight steering ain't your Toyota Tercel running down to get groceries. Cars at speed buck and you've gotta constantly make corrections.

Doozle, I'm not claiming that the DFGT is perfect in this game. I even said it'd be great to have some more adjustability. But to call it a "waste of money" and "garbage" is just idiotic. And a lie. It's EXTREMELY simple to control the oscillations, as I stated above.

it only ossilates if the car is rocking on its suspension, when i feel the car is running flat and let go it stays that way till it hits a bump in the road, some cars can stay flat longer depending on set up
yes the force feed back does have many features that are not true to life but its a gaming wheel, some of the forces comming through the wheel simulate the actual sway of the car, something you would normally feel through your own body in the car
unless you want to spend a few thousand on a force feed back platform this is a good option considering what it is

you can however force a swaying car back into a straight line by holding the wheel against the computers output

I don't know why he is letting go of the wheel but in real life that wouldn't be an issue.
If I let go of my wheel in my car it goes straight.

If any real life car acted like a GT car, it would be recalled due to defects.

Are you letting go of the wheel at 400km/h on a bumpy country road?

It's EXTREMELY simple to control the oscillations, as I stated above.

Hold on to the wheel? That's your simple solution? Well guess what, we are holding on to the wheel, and it still happens. Your simple solution doesn't work. No matter what you say, you can't convince me they designed the X1 or the F1 cars to be this undriveable on purpose.

Driving the cars should be fun, not annoying, trying to clamp the steering wheel from having a breakdown while you're supposed to be having a fun race.

Doozle, I'm not claiming that the DFGT is perfect in this game. I even said it'd be great to have some more adjustability. But to call it a "waste of money" and "garbage" is just idiotic. And a lie. It's EXTREMELY simple to control the oscillations, as I stated above.

I didn't say the game is a waste of money or garbage, people just jump to defend the game too quickly.
The DFGT is a good wheel (and I've had brilliant fun with it and GT5), all that is required are a few variables to fine tune the wheel.

With Logitech's own profiler on the PC you can eliminate these same problems within about five minutes.

OK, I know where these guys are coming from and its really annoying.

In my Jeep at freeway speed, if I let go of the wheel to take a drink while I'm talking on my cell phone, and hit any sort of bump or imperfection on the road, the wheel will suddenly pitch one way or the other forcing me to drop my drink or phone to grab it and avoid a crash or correct the direction of travel.

Jeep should fix this immediately! Until they do I am forced to keep at least one hand on the wheel at all times!

You're not suposed to let go the wheel!

Logitech will not "fix" this because there is nothing to fix and it is a beginner wheel and no high-end thing... It's a hundred bucks plastic wheel for god's sake!!!

+9999999999999 I bought the wheel just for GT5 and love it 👍, like what was said above "hold on to the wheel". If you let go of the wheel on a straight and it is just off center you will get a tank slapper, if you let go dead center it will go straight.

Some of you are obviously still not getting it. With the X1, even if you hold on to the wheel with both hands, with a firm grip, it will still start going all over the place ON A STRAIGHT. With other cars it will only do that if you hold on to the wheel lightly or with only one hand, but with the X1 and the F1 cars no matter how hard you fight the wheel, it happens.

Are we absolutely, crystal clear now? Do I need to repeat myself? No? Good.

Some of you are obviously still not getting it. With the X1, even if you hold on to the wheel with both hands, with a firm grip, it will still start going all over the place ON A STRAIGHT. With other cars it will only do that if you hold on to the wheel lightly or with only one hand, but with the X1 and the F1 cars no matter how hard you fight the wheel, it happens.

he didn't say anything about the X1 or F1 cars

Uh. A lot of wheels do that with the X2010 or F1 cars. Not just the DFGT. And the OP never mentioned a specific car, so I don't know why you are.

Relax.:dopey:

Didn't have that problem with the DFGT in GT5 (I mostly drive stock cars of lessthan 500 hp), but in GT4, with the previous version of the Logitec GT wheel, it wasn't funny to drive fast cars because of heavy vibrations.

I'm already at my third Logitech steering wheel. The two previous ones got problems with the break-pedal: the spring in it to put it back upwards didn't last very long (a year, a year and a half) and so the brakes got blocked.

Two days after I bought a new one, I saw on the gtplanet news-page how to resolve this problem. So, if it happens again, I know what to do.

If you don't give the DS3 any input, there isn't anywhere near (or at all) of the back and forth motion as with the wheel.

It's worse with some cars more than others, as already stated. When I got my wheel, the car I was driving with at the time (forget which exactly) had a horrible amount of back and forth waving unless I strong-armed and tightened my upper body to make the wheel not budge *at all*. It nearly made me bring the wheel back.

I know where the OP is coming from. What I think we need is an adjustable dead-zone to fix some of this. Obviously, the game physics with bumps and the suspension is a part of it, so there will never be a complete fix. I can say though, the Evo X does *not* do that in real life on the road when you let go of the wheel. It drives straight, even over minor road imperfections. I think they need to tone down the "imperfections", or how the suspension handles them, ever so slightly. It would make things more realistic, not less. Just my 2c.

People complaining about the wheel shaking at high speeds, every motoring journalist who has driven high speed agrees that the world changes above 180 MPH in sports and super cars. The wheel becomes something that must be a fixed point, allowing no oscillation, because every little imperfection in the road jerks the wheel.

Some instances are a problem with the wheel but look how much a driver at Le Mans moves their hands down the Mulsanne or in F1 they move their hands down Kemmel, racing cars move around at high speeds but the drivers control this.

I didn't say the game is a waste of money or garbage, people just jump to defend the game too quickly.

The OP claims that the wheel is those things.

My point was that I'm (and more other people here aren't) not being a zealous defender of the wheel (or the game - CERTAINLY not the game in my case.), as if it had no faults, as you claim people are. It does have some issues. (Though I imagine that they're actually PD's fault, and not Logitech's.) But it's far, FAR from being a waste of money, or garbage as the OP claims.

Which F1 cars? Formula GT count? Cuz mine drives straight.

Not gonna waste my credits on a Ferrari to check it out cuz I actually don't have ANY interest in driving the F1 cars in this game now that I'm done with the FGT series.

I am staying in this weekend with plenty of time to game, so I expect to have the X1 tomorrow. Honestly, I'll be surprised if it's actually uncontrollable, but if so, I'll report so here and listen to the "I told you so's."

I use the x1 at indy 500 with force feedback 9, I have to hold on tight but have no real problems. I seems that your arms are not quite strong enough to counter the initial force and it gets worse and worse. You seem to be in a constant tank slapper.

I'm not gonna lie, my T.M.E did waggle a bit on straights, but my EVO IX doesn't which leaves me to believe its the car., not the wheel(I use a g27).

Also, OP, what track did you test this out on? The roads do have bumps and your chair doesn't have FBB, so the mysterious jerks maybe be bumps on the track.

Dino,

All logitech wheels have a significant force feedback deadzone.

The fanatec wheels are designed differently and do not exhibit this problem from my experience. I have a GT3 RS V2 with force feedback and shock set to 100% and there are no oscillation issues. I find that the fanatec wheel gives me much more precise control due to lack of FF deadzone vs the G25 that I formerly used.

My On-Wheel Settings:
Sen:embarrassed:ff, FF:100, Sho:100, ABS: 45, Dri:1, Lin:0, Dea: 0, Spr: -3, Dpr: -3

zqxwjv

Dino,

All logitech wheels have a significant force feedback deadzone.

The fanatec wheels are designed differently and do not exhibit this problem from my experience. I have a GT3 RS V2 with force feedback and shock set to 100% and there are no oscillation issues. I find that the fanatec wheel gives me much more precise control due to lack of FF deadzone vs the G25 that I formerly used.

My On-Wheel Settings:
Sen:embarrassed:ff, FF:100, Sho:100, ABS: 45, Dri:1, Lin:0, Dea: 0, Spr: -3, Dpr: -3

zqxwjv
My fanatec wheel does the exact same thing. (GT5 sees the fanatec wheel as a G25) Gt series has always had this problem as PD tries to make the center spring effect too tight and too strong especially with race cars. Of course you can override GT5 software with the fanatec wheel by changing the settings on the wheel like adding dead zone or/and weaken the center spring. (In Gt5 street cars and comfort tires has weaker center spring than race cars and racing tires)

One of the known problem with ffb wheels is the delay between software and the wheel's ffb. There is a few ways sims deals with this problem. For example adding a buffer zone or dead zone to the center spring effect (this is what Logitech Profiler uses as default). Another option I read some PC sims uses is to try to "guess" where the wheel be some ms ahead so this delay is not as noticeable.
I've read that in theory the method X360 handles FFB is better (the wheel itself handles some of the process) than the way it's handle on PS and PC but in practice no one takes advantage of it.

Like I mention before real steering wheel has force coming from both sides holding the wheel straight while ffb wheels can only add force one side at a time. So these FFB wheels can not "hold" the wheel straight.

Last edited:
I think it has something to do with downforce.
With x2010 and max downforce it starts to oscillate at speeds 300+, when i put min downforce, oscillation starts at 400+kph. For me its undriveable in the indy. I can do the normal races, but it just sucks. Can't imagine driving 2 hours straight in indy 500, where the wheel would oscillate all the time.

I use the x1 at indy 500 with force feedback 9, I have to hold on tight but have no real problems. I seems that your arms are not quite strong enough to counter the initial force and it gets worse and worse. You seem to be in a constant tank slapper.

All of you with this "not strong enough arms" nonsense have no idea what the real issue is. It's nothing to do with a tank slapper, or not being strong enough. I go to the gym plenty, but that doesn't stop the X1 from being undriveable, and not any fun. You don't seem to be getting this is a problem between the car and wheel, not anything the driver does or doesn't do. There is a simple setting for the dead zone PD could add to fix this.

I posted yesterday about holding on to the wheel. I have since read through all the posts in this thread. I have taken my x2010 onto the Indie course as it was set up yesterday. On FF 7, with vibration function off, the car fights a little. On FF7, with Vibration function on, the car fights like a bitch.

I would ask all those saying that it is fighting a lot, you should try turning the vibration function off. (Press and hold PS button, press down, Vibration function off.)

I cant think of any other solution. But with the setting like that I am loving driving with my DFGT.

Seems to be your complaint is that when you take your hands of the wheel at 200mph on a bumpy track that the wheel begins to twitch and spins you out. Obviously a problem with the wheel and absolutely nothing to do with the driver.

Edit: To give a real answer it is a tuning problem your springs are too hard, dampers are wrong, you have the car too low, look into these one at a time and you will Find the car becomes more drivable, it will take you time, but will be worth it in the end.

The wheel is only reacting to the information being given to it by the computer.

Last edited:
l8304874453_8413.jpg

NUFF SED.

I think it's proof positive that GT5 was made for drifters...:sly: we're the only guys that welcome the oscillation as a helpful aid to initiate manji's on straights....:)

Back