Does GT5 fuel weigh anything?

Some numbers:
100l of fuel is 90+ kg.
The Minolta '88 weighs 850kg.

So when the tank is full compared to being nearly empty, the car should behave like a whole different monster, correct?

Yes there's a big difference. I did the Laguna Seca 200 Enduro event in a Lotus Evora yesterday.

The Fuel lasted for 71 of the 90 laps and on lap 54 with a fresh set of tyres and only a quarter of a tank of fuel I set my fastest lap which was 3 seconds faster than my consistant lap times in the same car with a full tank at the beginning of the race on tyres which were just as fresh.

You'll probably notice less difference in the Minolta as it's got over 900Bhp with a huge turbo, so a few kilos in fuel weight will make less difference than in my lightweight Lotus with less than 300Bhp

I noticed a big difference with the Minolta. The tyres last longer so either you can pit later or go faster for longer. However with TC turned off the Minolta can be a bit lively through slower corners.

During the Grand Valley enduro I wore out my tires before the fuel was halfway down. Pitted and just changed tires, no gas. My lap times were better afterwards and I was able to catch the AI much easier (I was running a competitive car, one of the Integras I think, and was in 2nd, about 40 seconds back, before the pit stop.) I kept the tank no more than 1/2 full the rest of the way and won the race by < 20 seconds and I don't think it was because I suddenly became a better driver. :dopey:

While in practicing offline the fuel doesn't seem to have an effect at all on the car. Online is differently and it does affect handling. The same goes for the A-Spec endurace races (longer races). On the other races they're usually too short to produce noticeable effect at all.

I noticed a huge change when driving with the FGT in a endurance, as long as the tank is half full (empty) , I can race the car nicely, and keep it on the track..

As soon as the tank is just under half full (empty) the back end gets real loose in down hill bends...

I don't think there is any real difference at all, at least in GT Mode. When I did the Roadster 4 hour event, fuel level made no difference to lap times or tyre wear what so ever. None of the endurances have. And since when does an MX-5 have a 100L fueld tank, that much fuel would really hit the performance of a car with 150hp!!!.
I've got a feeling it has to do with the grip reduction setting being defaulted to weak and not real in GT mode. That's if they even consider fuel weight at all which I think they don't from what I can see from the endurance races. Doubt it though considering there isn't even an option for balast like there was in GT4.

It definitely does online, and it does in B-Spec mode. B-Spec drivers will set their fastest times when low on fuel with fresh tyres

At Grand Valley 300, the fuel lasts exactly 30-31 laps on my FGT.

Talking about strategies, I only manage to make soft tires survive 17 laps, mediums 22 laps and hard tires 24 (somehow I manage to set same times with soft and medium tires) laps.

I always start on medium tires, pit in at lap 21, only put alittle bit of fuel into the car (enough to reach lap 43) and take mediums. At lap 43 I pit in again, refuel again and choose soft tires. IMO its a decent race strategie, I currently train to make the hard tires survive 30 laps, so I could use a one stop strategie.

I tried the same with the Minolta, but for me its just plain impossible to make the soft tires survive more then 5-7 laps.

Interesting as I only noticed that fuel makes a big difference in car handling online, these cars can go for miles without pitting for fuel. I used a JGTC Xanavi Skyline on soft tires 15 laps easy, and that was only because I was driving hard early on. Haven't tried any endurance races yet to see if it happens there, but if it happens online I guess it should happen in the enduros as well.

As for people driving any one of the Group C cars, those cars are unwieldy as they pour power on instantly and beyond the rubber capability to grip. While fast they are trouble on soft tires as you need to be very smooth with acceleration at low speeds and try not to make your tires chirp as you go around bends. Nice sounds I guess, but you are wearing your tires down needlessly, yea that gear shift indicator help you maintain your tire health people complain about it but it works if you pay attention to it especially when approaching corners in the mid to high speed range.

It was the case in GT4 so i'm guessing it's still here in GT5. However i haven't done any enduro's yet so i wouldn't know

I just (less than an hour ago) finished the Miata Endurance race. I planned for two pit stops. I didn't refuel for the first one, and only took about half a tank for the second one. My first pit stop ended up earlier than I intended because my tires went bad. For the second and third stint, I drove more conservatively, with a modified line on some corners. I still ended up posting roughly the same lap times.

The difference in weight from the start works out to about 65 lbs/30kg. I can't say for certain that made a difference, but the tires did seem to last longer without a noticeable change in lap times.

I've noticed differences in lap times as well. I was in the Laguna Seca endurance race, with a C6 Z06, with racing hard tires, because I had to get through the race quickly. About 2/3 the way through, I was low on fuel, and had lots left on the tires, and was going quicker than I did 8-10 laps later, with a new set of tires (a few laps into these new tires) and a full fuel load.

soooo, does this mean a go kart weighing 88kg, will weigh -2kg on a empty tank? ROFL i think all of the tanks in the game are 100L. PD failed

As stated, yes fuel makes a huge difference, but only in races that have fuel usage - Online, A-Spec enduros, B-Spec enduros(probably B-Spec extreme as they have tire wear), I think One-Make races and Arcade have it as an option but not sure. In the others including Seasonals, offline practice, most of B-Spec and 90% of A-Spec it's turned off meaning you always have a medium-low amount of fuel weight.

Not sure how it wouldn't be noticeable in the 4-hour roadster race, it's there for any endurance races I've run. You don't notice it so much if you always run on a full tank as the wearing tires mask the effect somewhat, but if you only take the fuel you need when you pit, your car will be significantly quicker and more responsive. Tires do seem to wear less as well, which they should, but that's tricky to test.

Running Grand Valley 300 in a street car, the difference between full and half fuel on the same tire compound and running very consistent lines was at least 2-3 seconds per lap for me.

alonsof1fan91
(somehow I manage to set same times with soft and medium tires) laps..

Certain cars have enough grip that when you Use softer tires it scrubs to much speed. You could either reduce down force or go harder tires.

We noticed this online testing for the Indy 500. We also learn drafting can save tons of fuel too.

Yes, fuel in GT5 has much effect depending on the car. Its weight kills performance and behavior of lighter cars online (or otherwise, when fuel and tire depletion are activated), also because every model gets a 100 liter tank. PD just didn't bother modeling the differences between each car on this aspect. If they really wanted to level range performance when racing with fuel depletion activated, they could have provided a "racing 100 liters standard fuel tank" tuning part or at least an option to set the amount of fuel before starting a race or practice run.

<rant>
But this is but one aspect where PD's lazyness shows in GT5.
The deeper you go in the technical aspect of the game (car physics, driving, dynamics, rules, realism, etc), the more you realize that it's mostly about pretty 3D car models. :(
</rant>

Back