Thrustmaster T500 RS Rotating Paddle Shifters MOD!

• Thread starter Rs74
  • 56 comments
Poland
Poznan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAsuE0KZpY

Hi there I just finished my T500 Rotating Paddle Shifters MOD!
It's a simple DIY project.
It modifies original wheel parts (making 4 new holes + little widening of 4 existing holes)
For those interestd Im providing 3 metal plates, cable + bunch of screws and spacers needed.

Insidesimracing.tv -watch at 7:33 how the cable works! Solution there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9Dq0N89YM&feature=player_embedded

For those interested Im providing third party wheel adapters for the T500 (PM me if you need one) or ask questions here.

r.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
You are voiding yor warranty with this mod.
As this is DIY project Im not taking any responsibility for the end result.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Drilling and disassembly instructions on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUr7gE-TlGk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJXgxXZPzo&feature=related

PIC. 1, 2
Im suplying special M4 self prevailing torque nuts -hard to mount (you will need some equipment to tighten) but these hold in place like hell! DONT overtighten here -its plastic part we mount it on.

PIC. 3
Smaller plastic part back on its place (watch for wires!) and click!. Do not forget about those six tiny black screws.

PIC. 4, 5
First adapter plate, and spacers -fastened with fingers then just a bit more -VERY CAREFULL HERE!

PIC. 6
Second adapter plate -this one fastened tight!

PIC. 7
Fasten black top screws like this.

PIC. 8
Mount the cover plate (at this point all cabels are connected) using previously removed TM screws. At first I wanted the cabel come through one of these holes -but its better to take it from under the rubber)

Now we can put shifting module on the TM Wheel body

PIC. 9, 10
I made this small screw in the middle just 1mm shorter and drilled very shalow (also 1 mm) hole in plastic so is dosnt stick out that much. Now I can allign shifting module on the T500 body

PIC. 11
Tightly screw the last three connection spacers. (I do it with a key, but I keep it just at the inner end so I control the tension and not overtigten)

Time to mount the wheel -connect cabel pin (thak you TM for making these wires that long! ), fasten the steering wheel (doing several rounds with all three screws removed during disassembly.

PIC. 12, 13
I recommend connecting new cable to the shifer module first. The cable housing I provide is not symetrical. Take a closer look at first (12) pic -connections are made inside the shifting module. You can tape wires to prevent from moving. The cable WITH the black housing gets through to the other side -This is important.
Take a look at second picture (13) here. Cable WITH the black housing comes from that hole.

When disconnecting original wires from the shifter module pull gently to get pin connectors out of the wheel body. Secure wires with a tape to the wheel body (if these get lost inside its tricky to get them back out )
Now you can disconnect pins (difficult) or just cut wires

The new cable gets from under the rubber to inside the wheel body. (dont take the rubber off -just pull it in one point from the bottom) This is the longer (gray) end of the cable. When the new cable is inside solder wires isolate etc.. You can tape or glue the new cable to some the plasctic part inside wheel body. Its quite a lot of space in there.

Now you can mount cover plate.

Its important to adjust the lenght of the new cable to your preference. You can try to straighten the cable before mounting moving paddles module. Put some weight on it so it wont get into the moving paddles.
See my vid shown on insidesimracing.tv (at the end)
http://www.insidesimracing.tv/videos/view/503/0/Inside-Sim-Racing-Episodes

Lower rotation angle, and force when trying for the first time. Than slowly increase force an rotation angle. You will get an Idea what adjustments are needed. Step by step you ll get the right result.

Last word. I think its possible to get rid of the shifter cable completly. Using pin connector cable from the wheel electronics. But this is more invasive(?) way again. You loose your buttons on the original wheel. I will do it with my wheel soon as I use third party steering wheel anyway.

I will be happy to answer any questions here if needed.

Attachments

• RMK Padle Mod.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:
Great mod! Not sure if I would like to void the warranty quite yet, but curious to see more details and the instructions on how it was done.

Yeah I couldnt get used to static paddles myself... now I finally like this wheel. I know voiding warranty is risky but the difference is huge! But what suprises me most is how actually easy was to make this mod. I spent couple of evenings thinking about it and then all it was to pick the right screw sizes and make steel plates (instead of cartoon ones...)
I think I was lucky not to violate much of the original wheel.... Well you have to cut the shifter cabels too and plug new ones but its a cosmetic thing... The whole mod is clean and there is no opened parts. The wheel itself is just 2,2cm (0.86 in) closer to you. And this can be reduced to 1,8cm (0.7 in) if you like.

Last edited:
Thats very impressive, I have never used a wheel better then a DFGT so I always assumed the static paddles were a unique selling point of this wheel. You actually just made me realize how flawed the original design was. Because after watching your video, shifting looks much more natural.

Thats very impressive, I have never used a wheel better then a DFGT so I always assumed the static paddles were a unique selling point of this wheel. You actually just made me realize how flawed the original design was. Because after watching your video, shifting looks much more natural.

There is no flaw to static paddles for a wheel like the t500rs.

A. Many real life racing vehicles (like Ferrari's) use static paddles.

B. I am 100% positively sure they went static paddles due to the incredible FFB & speed of this wheel. Reduces the risk of mass law suits due to missing & damaged limbs. When I first got my t500rs my hands got hit a few times but luckily it was just by the wheel. But I'm dreading what would happen to someone not careful with a mod like this hitting their fingers :scared:

edit- To clarify, I fear what would happen if one of those solid metal blades hit your fingers. I just don't see how that can be safe??? I am interested on reading your opinion on this @Rs74

C. Most will quickly adjust to using static paddles

Still props to the OP for sharing. I can't see myself ever doing that though! I love my static paddles :)

Last edited:
@sandboxgod
A.
I dont mind static paddles in real cars (although my real VW Jetta has tiny rotating ones...) but in case of ME and THIS wheel -just couldnt get used to it. When I ordered the T500 I didnt even think about modding. The plan was to get used to it (of course I knew about static paddles... ). But as Im not a hardcore simracer (not much time for it) and I dont practise THAT much -so every other time I was looking for those paddles somwhere in the air (and this happend on and on during some stressfull situations like overtaking, trying to rescue from a spin etc. )

B.
thnking about mass law suits against TM hmmm... there is lots of dangerous stuff out there if you are not using it properly... But seriously. You grab the wheel from outside and also touch these paddles from outside. So you only straighten your fingers and you are away from the wheel and paddles. To cut a finger you would have to remove the steering wheel itself and then put the finger into rotating blades-Yes! that would be dangerous and I completly agree. But who knows people do very strange things nowdays.... lol (check youtube... )
so I do not recommend this mod for everyone -many people are using separate shifters anyway, many will get used to static -like you. That is all fine. But Im sure that for some others my mod will make things more natural.
...and its just kind of cool that these big shiny paddles are finally alive! :)

cheers! and thanks for your comment.
r.

No that cable flapping around would get right on my tits.

Good attempt though and i hope you get to finnish the job off at some point . I like the static paddles myself .

There is no flaw to static paddles for a wheel like the t500rs.
B. I am 100% positively sure they went static paddles due to the incredible FFB & speed of this wheel.

Thanks for sharing, I feel better now because I am considering that wheel.

Nice Mod but I also prefer fixed paddles on the base (like on WRC, Nissan GT-R, Infiniti G37XS, Lamborghini or Ferrari) because really much more efficient for me.

WRC (paddles not moves with the wheel)

NISSAN GT-R (paddles not moves with the wheel)

Infiniti G37XS (paddles not moves with the wheel)

LAMBORGHINI (paddles not moves with the wheel)

paddles.jpg

7996-1.jpg

aventador_instruments_console.jpg

FERRARI (paddles not moves with the wheel)
ferrari-paddles.jpg

image_cd_gallery.jpg

epcp_0904_06_z+Novitec_Ferrari_599_GTB_Fiorano+steering_wheel.jpg

Last edited:
None of shifter types is more realistic than the other -its just two ways to go. You are the one to make a decission.

Nice Mod but I also prefer fixed paddles on the base. It's more realistic (like on Ferrari or Lamborghini) and really much more efficient.

As Rs74 says, you can't argue about one version being more "realistic", as there are both sorts out in the real world.

How good they are depends on how well they are executed (location relative to fingers, how far they have to be pulled to activate a change, etc.).

The ones on my Smart Roadster-Coupé are tiny but move with the wheel and are perfectly placed. I think they're great.
2637917390103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

The Nissan Gt-R paddles are fixed
2849839910103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

– but they worked just as well when I tried them on a test drive.

The fixed ones on this Maserati GranSport were equally good
2502629540103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

997 Turbo paddles were fine too
2010-my-997-turbo-paddle-shift-for-pdk.jpg

A few more paddle variations I've tried:

Artega
2246516780103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Abarth 500
2031990430103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Maserati GranTurismo
2535092760103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Polo GTI's rotating ones are very small – but they are there for your fingers
2296839320103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Fixed F458 paddles
2378946680103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Fixed FF paddles. I've been invited to test drive this in July.
2171077050103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

I see no reason why it shouldn't work either.

My modded G25 rig has moving paddles
2491622170103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

and my new G27 will be similar – but I think fixed paddles can work fine too. This mod by Rs74 gives people with the TM the choice – which can't be bad – and no-one is forced to buy it!:D

I think that on tarmac track, the fixed paddles are enough for what you need to turn, even if you're changing gear's on corners.

Would be better if they were attached to the wheel but still good enough for racing hard and it's something you should get used to.

For rallying or drifting, the fixed paddles are exactly what you should have on your wheel because of the constant over 180º turn's of the wheel.

When you're on a spin or trying to recover from one, or simply trying to straighten your car without loosing "momentum" it's better to know that gear down's on the left side and gear up on the right side.

I drive a DSG VW SCIROCCO R with the paddles on the wheel and it's great. (I don't take it to rallying)

This question might be off topic but I was wondering what kind of camera you used for the video in the op? The quality's almost cinematic with the lighting just right too. Really well shot for a quick Poc video 👍

Eos 5D mark II - yes the quality is amazing! You wont belive it but this was my first video attempt ever! I borrowed a tripod from a friend... The lighting? -small basement windows :)

I'm still highly dubious on the safety of this mod (especially with the wires whirling around)

Point #1 - Look at this film by simracer92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhVBqm4Dtc which is the FFB test we all should know from PC control panel

Now imagine this ffb effect happening in game when you are not expecting it. Those steel blade edges' hitting your fingers will be all kinds nasty :scared:

Here's another early film we saw of this sort of mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfszY0QjpE. Not sure how authentic this guy's mod was though because he doesnt show himself playing the game like Rs74. But even the calibration sequence looks a little risky.

But anyway you seemed to agree in rare cases it can be a dangerous mod. I guess I just can't ascertain the extent of it myself personally w/o seeing it upclose.

None of shifter types is more realistic than the other -its just two ways to go. You are the one to make a decission.

I personally think it depends on the car. If the car, like my precious Ferrari Italia uses stationary paddles then it feels realistic for me personally. But a car that's using a stick or paddles then my immersion might go down a notch if I'm paying attention

---

Oh btw, that's a nice list guys of cars with stationary paddles

great mod man, but why u need to do this?? i think having foxed paddles are better!!

at least u wont lost the paddles when u r cornering, caz sometimes when u do crosshand, u would eventually miss them, while fixed wont. BTW great job

great mod man, but why u need to do this?? i think having foxed paddles are better!!

at least u wont lost the paddles when u r cornering, caz sometimes when u do crosshand, u would eventually miss them, while fixed wont. BTW great job

I agree. I've really grown accustomed to having my paddles in a fixed position. I always know right where they are; very comforting :)

But this is a GREAT mod for people who just can't get used to them...

lol Fixed or not fixed...

it's like using the pedals with the pedals being from the up position instead of from the bottom

honestly it depends what car

if u have a car that had paddles fixed to the wheel while turning and had a car that had the paddles not fixed to the wheel but to the steering column while turning u would have to get used to both

if u have a car that had the pedals attached from the bottom and had a car that had the pedals attached to the top u would have to get used to both

there is really no it has to be like this to be real because both is real it depends on the car lol

u cant customize the car and alternate the positions if u feel like it, the way it is, is the way it is.. can't really change it unless u give the car manufacturer tons of money to make it custom for u

might as well make their new car with the option to move paddles and pedal positions.. there is no car in the world like that

Kind of interesting points here and it seems I just learned something. Didnt really know before there is such a strong group of people preffering fixed paddles....! So I know saying ".........what this wheel should be" in my first post was not correct.
Im still very happy with what I did and for people still asking what for -it was quite a challenge to be the first and THIS was my motivation too. Im also happy to give people the choice. Now there is an option (I know! waranty...) EOT

I kind of like how thrustmaster designed these paddles. I mean the modular construction -easy to disassemble part by part with no need to mess around and the need to open the main body. Cable connestors inside -very easy to work with. What interesting is I thik it would be possible to make another quite simple mod allowing changes almost "on the fly" sort of quick release system for paddles -fixed/movable. And thats what would be really cool for future products. And maybe make those paddles completly removabe! Than there is no question for customers... (TM was very close to it) So who is next -Logitech??

Ok for people prefering/still interested in my mod. I can only confirm it works wery well and I much prefere it to small G25 paddles I used last three years. It is now like even more high quality feeling. I really enjoy it. Also I have a solution for flying cable... just hang an O ring, large nut or something moderatly heavy what can slide on the cable and the problem is gone.

Last edited:
^^ Don't forget rs74, only us iRacing members will be able to view the thread (unless they opened up to public as read only lately). Perhaps you planned to add the details here as well?

I too have the 5D II, and a 7D, 40D, 30D as well. :) The 5D II is the cleanest of the bunch, an awesome landscape camera.

Kudo's on your mod, after a few months with my T500 I prefer the static shifters. I think the loose cable would drive me crazy.

Eos 5D mark II - yes the quality is amazing! You wont belive it but this was my first video attempt ever! I borrowed a tripod from a friend... The lighting? -small basement windows :)

Well done on the mod, good work...

Like some of the guys here I wasnt so sure about fixed paddles but accustomed to them pretty well.

They also can add in some games a bit more of a challenge to how you drive/play. Take the tight hairpin at Suzuka which comes to mind, in many cars in GT5 your mid corner with quite a lot of lock and needing to change gear. The only way to do that is lift a hand off the wheel, steer one handed and change up with the other.

So to an extent it's like an H-Shift requiring one handed steering briefly. It still catches me out from time to time though.
Some will look at that to adapting your skill set others perhaps thinking that having rotating paddles would make it easier. Maybe then depending on your preference it becomes more or less fun either way.

Personally yes Id like to see a new real racing wheel rim, like a Ferrari/Momo collaboration fit onto the T500. Who knows what we will get but they have designed the wheel to remove for this intention of an alternative. Speculation here of course but another possibility could be another game/hardware collaboration bringing a new wheel rim? Is it possible for a company like say Codemasters that has PC/PS3 titles and either a Rally or F1 as an upgrade or alternative T500 edition?

I'll leave that thought with you...

Lets see what they have at E3.

Back