Thrustmaster T500 RS Rotating Paddle Shifters MOD!

• Thread starter Rs74
  • 56 comments
New info, instructions + pictures in attachment zip file in the first post. Please read all from the beginning :)

Last edited:
New info, instructions + pictures in attachment zip file in the first post. Please read all from the beginning :)

Thank you for your job Rs74 !!! I would like to realised it but unfortunetly your ZIP file can't be opened...

thank's for all !

guys like to know who has some tutorial about it, "Thrustmaster T500 RS RMK Paddle Shifters Moving Mod IN OUTSIDE CABLE" without the cable out. thanks

Rs74 I really like this mod in fact it's the only change I'd make on the wheel, it's too bad Thrustmaster didn't have the option where you could choose one or the other paddle setups. If there is anyone is Cali that has successfully done this mod and would like to do another shoot me a PM. Although it voids the warranty, if don't properly there should be no warranty claims. I really don't want to be stuck driving and automatic for the rest of my GT5 life. My other wheel spoiled me

Hi guys sorry for being lost for a long time. Somehow I don't get info about posts being made in this thread....
This mod definetly voids warranty -so its at your own risk. But I dont think in anyway harms the wheel itself.
When doing outside cable its very easy to go back to static paddles.
Actually I'd recommend it first. Yes you have to ajust the cable and put some weight but after that its all ok. Just wheel calibration requires your attention.
Cable put inside is a lot more invasive and opening the top cover not that easy (but I have a thread on iRacing forum about it). I had to cut off original cable from the steering column (so no more T500 electronics) but at the same time I put my Sparco and Omp rims so that wasn't a problem to me.
Anyway I dont have tutorial made but after you follow my vids it quite obvious what are the next steps once you start working. Or if you have specific question -just ask.
When you do drifting and cazy wheel moves -I dont recommend moving paddles, but if you drive with lower steering ratio around 450 deg rotation
than it definetly feels great!
Remigiusz

Oh! and I just made my Control Box (with rotary encoders) as a more commercial project -hope you ceck it out.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=249018

Last edited:
will the wheel be closer to you with this paddle mod? seems it gains some volume up front.

See 3rd post on opening page:
"The wheel itself is just 2,2cm (0.86 in) closer to you. And this can be reduced to 1,8cm (0.7 in) if you like."

If I go for the version with the cable on the inside, does it need extra drilling in the steering axis part, and... is it othwise necessary with the cable on the inside to sacrifice the T500 button functions?

Hi there I just finished my T500 Rotating Paddle Shifters MOD!
It's a simple DIY project.
It modifies original wheel parts (making 4 new holes + little widening of 4 existing holes)
For those interestd Im providing 3 metal plates, cable + bunch of screws and spacers needed.

Insidesimracing.tv -watch at 7:33 how the cable works! Solution there.

For those interested Im providing third party wheel adapters for the T500 (PM me if you need one) or ask questions here.

r.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
You are voiding yor warranty with this mod.
As this is DIY project Im not taking any responsibility for the end result.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Drilling and disassembly instructions on youtube:

PIC. 1, 2
Im suplying special M4 self prevailing torque nuts -hard to mount (you will need some equipment to tighten) but these hold in place like hell! DONT overtighten here -its plastic part we mount it on.

PIC. 3
Smaller plastic part back on its place (watch for wires!) and click!. Do not forget about those six tiny black screws.

PIC. 4, 5
First adapter plate, and spacers -fastened with fingers then just a bit more -VERY CAREFULL HERE!

PIC. 6
Second adapter plate -this one fastened tight!

PIC. 7
Fasten black top screws like this.

PIC. 8
Mount the cover plate (at this point all cabels are connected) using previously removed TM screws. At first I wanted the cabel come through one of these holes -but its better to take it from under the rubber)

Now we can put shifting module on the TM Wheel body

PIC. 9, 10
I made this small screw in the middle just 1mm shorter and drilled very shalow (also 1 mm) hole in plastic so is dosnt stick out that much. Now I can allign shifting module on the T500 body

PIC. 11
Tightly screw the last three connection spacers. (I do it with a key, but I keep it just at the inner end so I control the tension and not overtigten)

Time to mount the wheel -connect cabel pin (thak you TM for making these wires that long! ), fasten the steering wheel (doing several rounds with all three screws removed during disassembly.

PIC. 12, 13
I recommend connecting new cable to the shifer module first. The cable housing I provide is not symetrical. Take a closer look at first (12) pic -connections are made inside the shifting module. You can tape wires to prevent from moving. The cable WITH the black housing gets through to the other side -This is important.
Take a look at second picture (13) here. Cable WITH the black housing comes from that hole.

When disconnecting original wires from the shifter module pull gently to get pin connectors out of the wheel body. Secure wires with a tape to the wheel body (if these get lost inside its tricky to get them back out )
Now you can disconnect pins (difficult) or just cut wires

The new cable gets from under the rubber to inside the wheel body. (dont take the rubber off -just pull it in one point from the bottom) This is the longer (gray) end of the cable. When the new cable is inside solder wires isolate etc.. You can tape or glue the new cable to some the plasctic part inside wheel body. Its quite a lot of space in there.

Now you can mount cover plate.

Its important to adjust the lenght of the new cable to your preference. You can try to straighten the cable before mounting moving paddles module. Put some weight on it so it wont get into the moving paddles.
See my vid shown on insidesimracing.tv (at the end)
http://www.insidesimracing.tv/videos/view/503/0/Inside-Sim-Racing-Episodes

Lower rotation angle, and force when trying for the first time. Than slowly increase force an rotation angle. You will get an Idea what adjustments are needed. Step by step you ll get the right result.

Last word. I think its possible to get rid of the shifter cable completly. Using pin connector cable from the wheel electronics. But this is more invasive(?) way again. You loose your buttons on the original wheel. I will do it with my wheel soon as I use third party steering wheel anyway.

I will be happy to answer any questions here if needed.

Hi,
I'm interestd in the 3 metal plates, cable + bunch of screws and spacers needed.

I have a T500.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

Hi
Complete mod parts costs 59$ + 15$priority shipping with tracking # via postal service. All parts in stock.

Remi

Have them PM you for more information with this mod rather than posting your paypal email. Thanks and good work!

Jerome

Back