2.02 Chase Camera Change - Now Dynamic

Hadn't played GT5 in a quite a while, well before 2.02.

Tonight I fired up the PS3 and thought I would try it out.
Didn't know anything about this.

What on earth is wrong with the camera?
I'm literally seasick.
I can't believe PD did such a thing.

After all the problems with this game, I have to wonder:
What on earth has happened to our beloved PD?

They seem to have been infected with a terminal case of DA.

Oh well, back to FM4 and any other game but this one.

Last edited:
The camera system from the gt1-gt3 era were too loose to determine proper car placement. The locked view allows one to better judge the direction of the car, though when you so spin out it may be a bit disorienting.

It helps with blind corners more though.

I found this thread when I was searching for nasty thing with the 2.02 update. It seems a lot of people suffer from it.

I hope PD offers on option to use the same swingman view as in GTpsp. That one is simply amazing. Should't be too hard to code that into GT5.

Yea this camera is pretty annoying... uncomfortable. Plus, when driving fast cars, including the X1, I notice a bit of "lag", or delay, like if the camera couldn't properly follow the car so after some corners the car is moved a few centimeters to the right OR left...

I'm hoping the 2.03 update will allow us to select the old chase cam if we want to.

I've given it time to try and get used to it, and although it doesn't make me feel as dizzy as it used to (although I do still feel it a bit and if I use a particularly softly sprung car it is pretty bad) I still do not like it at all. My laptimes are slower I feel like I can't control the car as well. I can't catch oversteer or understeer properly and I keep crashing in corners that have never caused me trouble before, in all of GT and other racing games too.

Please PD, give us the option to use the previous camera because I'm afraid this new one has ruined what was my favourite game.

And to all the people saying it's better now or 'real racers use bumper or cockpit cam'; I have grown up with Gran Turismo, it was the first game I got when I got my Playstation, I've owned every game through the years as well as many other racing games and chase cam has always been my view of choice so I simply cannot play as well with the others.

I'm sure an option to turn it off will be included in the new update.
The nurburgring used to be one of my favorite tracks in the game until the new camera was introduced now it's almost unplayable with a fast car.

Can anyone with the 2.03 update say if PD has including an off option for the dynamic chase cam?
I know it wasn't described in the update change log but PD often adds changes without announcing them, which is exactly how this new camera showed up.

I love the new chase cam because it gives you a better sense of speed and dramatic feeling and also shows the bumps on the road properly. But I still kind of hate the fact that the field of view is sooo narrow in the chasecam, it kills the sense of speed... I also wonder why we arent able to spin the camera around the car? I am someone who loves to see details. For example I would love to blast my 2012 GT-R over the straightaway on la sarthe spinning the chasecam to the side of the car watching the rims spin and looking at the suspension doing it's work!!! but nooo.. just a dream ..:ouch:

This is so disorienting, especially with super stiff cars. I really hope they update it with the option to choose between the two.

Got used to the new chase camera after a while... like most of you, it was very hard at the beginning, as the game became barely playable... but now I use it without any problems :)

However, I'd still like to have the option to choose the type of chase cam...:nervous:

Funny how individuals vary so much. This version of chase cam is so much better. I use cockpit or bumper cam much more but chase is actually fun now rather than the sterile view it was before. It has a better sense of speed although i still don't get why it's not an adjustable option to keep us all happy.

Still glitches really bad for me. I thought 2.03 would fix it, I guess I am stuck with a glitching camera view. Thanks PD for ruined my game.

I love the new chase cam because it gives you a better sense of speed and dramatic feeling and also shows the bumps on the road properly. But I still kind of hate the fact that the field of view is sooo narrow in the chasecam, it kills the sense of speed... I also wonder why we arent able to spin the camera around the car? I am someone who loves to see details. For example I would love to blast my 2012 GT-R over the straightaway on la sarthe spinning the chasecam to the side of the car watching the rims spin and looking at the suspension doing it's work!!! but nooo.. just a dream ..:ouch:

I agree with you, it gives you a better impresion of how the car reacts with bumps/weight shifts and sometimes it just bounces when you floor the pedal if you accelerate out of a corner. More fun in my opinion.

I dont like this new chase camera. When i want more realistic view, where i feel every bump on the road, i just use hood or inside view. This one makes me dizzy... The old chase cam was simply perfect, i hope that PD update the camera options, where we can choose the old chase cam (normal) or new (dynamic).
All players, who use hood or inside view, like the new cam, because they are used to be fixed on the car, all chase camera fans hate it (included myself).

It looks like a cheap race game from the '80s now
Every turn the camera jerks like old splices from Casablanca or something.

Put it back the way it was. I hate it.

Hadn't played GT5 in a quite a while, well before 2.02.

Tonight I fired up the PS3 and thought I would try it out.
Didn't know anything about this.

What on earth is wrong with the camera?
I'm literally seasick.
I can't believe PD did such a thing.

After all the problems with this game, I have to wonder:
What on earth has happened to our beloved PD?

They seem to have been infected with a terminal case of DA.

Oh well, back to FM4 and any other game but this one.

You are ridiculously making this out to be bigger than it is. When they changed it in the update I liked it and noticed it but now I'm so used to it that a few times I wondered if they took it out in 2.03. I just don't notice it anymore.

so is the chase cam more like in GT3 where it locked onto the nose of the car and let you see the side of the car a bit when you powerslide?
(im still in 2.01)

^ No, I love the GT3 chase cam. That is similar to GTpsp's chase came. In GT5 it now feels really weird. Sideways it seems more locked. But the vertical movement of the world around you is really strange.

You are ridiculously making this out to be bigger than it is. When they changed it in the update I liked it and noticed it but now I'm so used to it that a few times I wondered if they took it out in 2.03. I just don't notice it anymore.

What is ridiculous, is PD's apparent complete lack of assessment skills when it comes to implementing changes in GT5.

We're not racing boats!

This cam change is wholly and completely unrealistic not to mention, motion sickness inducing to try to use.

Sorry, but I don't consider forcing oneself to overcome this kind of trinket feature, a endearing exercise.

The wholesale implementation of this, at best, "arcadish novelty", can only serve to discount any le'gitimacy to the GT mantra;
"The Real Driving Simulator".

Just another straw for the camel's back.

To all saying there getting sick looking at the dynamic cam, perhaps you should not be playing a racing game :lol: do you all get car sick as well ?

What is ridiculous, is PD's apparent complete lack of assessment skills when it comes to implementing changes in GT5.

We're not racing boats!

This cam change is wholly and completely unrealistic not to mention, motion sickness inducing to try to use.

Sorry, but I don't consider forcing oneself to overcome this kind of trinket feature, a endearing exercise.

The wholesale implementation of this, at best, "arcadish novelty", can only serve to discount any le'gitimacy to the GT mantra;
"The Real Driving Simulator".

Just another straw for the camel's back.

Then unfortunately you are in the small minority. If PD went this far without implementing camera options, then it's probably not gonna happen.

And to say changing the chase can to something more unrealistic is amusing also; since when was having a camera following a car realistic to begin with? The new cam is actually more realistic in that they actually replicate the bumps on a track, giving new life to the environments.

The GT3 camera was terrible. It made predicting hard corners difficult. It made preventing a spin out difficult. A rigid camera like in GT5 helps on that end.

As for motion sickness, well that sucks, but a lot of people get motion sickness from the weirdest things, so how can PD predict people will get problems? Options are a very hindsight argument, yet that's suggest for every freaking detail in the game....

Nobody complained about the old chase cam, so why change it? What was PD thinking? They are trying too hard to please as many people but they aren't realizing that they are messing up the game.

Not to mention the online bug, but that's another topic...

It didnt feel boring, it felt real. Is this supposed to be a sim or an arcadish racer? Apparently, its turning more arcadish. And the camera is bugged because at moments the car if off the center of the screen. :rolleyes:

The chasecamera before 2.02 was awful! Now it's still awful but better than before. I use it now sometimes on the Nurb to get a nice feedback of all the bumps. But the FOV is so narrow in the camera which kills the sense of speed + it's so far away of the car... someone else mentioned once it looks like driving RC cars.. but I agree on that statement! GT5 has the most awful chasecam in a racing game. And I played in my years as gamer mostly racing games so I know what I'm talking about...

But that's still my own opinion.

To all saying there getting sick looking at the dynamic cam, perhaps you should not be playing a racing game :lol: do you all get car sick as well ?

No, Thankyou very much.

I 've spent countless hours in cars for over 50 yrs. and never been car sick and have played racing games countless hours since their inception with no problem.
I've never had that problem with any game.
Furthermore I have spent endless hours in boats over 50 years and have only been seasick once when I was a kid.

The only similar sensation I have experienced to the GT cam, is occasionally when watching one of my grandsons play video games.
He whips the camera around so much at times it can induce motion sickness.

Like I said, GT5 is car racing, the cam pitchs and rolls like a boat and worse than a plane.
Which btw I've played both boat and plane games, no problem.

The GT5 camera motion is wholly unrealistic. It doesn't pitch and roll like that in car racing... period.

Back