CSW Community Test - Round 3: Vote - Who deserve the chance?

• Thread starter LogiForce
  • 134 comments

Who deserves the chance to test and review the CSW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LogiForce

Premium
Netherlands
Groningen, Netherlands
LogiForce86
LogiForce
Introduction to round 3:​

In the past 7 days we had CSW Community Test - Round 2 in which all of you guys could apply for sadly enough only 11 people turned in a proper application before the end of the round. The 12th person seemed to be unable to read the OP properly and thus didn't fill in the necessaries like the 11 above him, unfortunately. So on those grounds and also not being thorough I didn't include him into the poll. I replied within 3 minutes of his posting with kind question to if he would please fill in the proper application, and also warned him one last time one hour before closing. Unfortunately, he didn't make it.
However for the 11 people that did fill in a proper form I have specially requested the 11th person to be included into the poll, so you can all democratically decide the victory.

So who will be the victor?
I have included all the people who applied down here in order of application with links to their original applications. I encourage you all to read them as some people who aren't well known around the hardware section of GTP might actually be great candidates.

Again I liked to note that special permission is received to include all 11 members who diligently applied.
Also some participants have posted an Xbox platform, however the ClubSport line is NOT Xbox compatible.

Please read the few rules stated below. Be fair, be just and let the best person win!

The rules:​
Main Rules:
  • Community reviewers of the CSR Elite wheel can not participate in this community review
  • Reviewer is asked to write an honest review
  • Reviewer will receive a CSW base with the two rims, but will also be offered to test compatible pedals, table clamp and a wheel stand, if he wants
  • Reviewer is required to inform the Community test supervisor about any problems he may have with the products during the test period
  • Reviewer can not leak any information regarding the products he is reviewing before embargo is lifted
  • Every reviewer will have at least 14 days to review the products, but exact review period will be determined after all the community reviewers have received the wheels
  • Due to past problems, reviewer will unfortunately be required to make a 50% deposit of the full value of products he will receive
  • After the review period is over and review is posted on-line Fanatec will ask the reviewer, if he wants to return the gear or keep it
  • He can keep it and the deposit he made earlier stays with Fanatec, so he receives a 50% discount for the effort he put in testing
  • If he decides to return some or all of the gear, Fanatec will refund his original 50% deposit + shipping costs for that gear immediately
    only users from EU, North America, Australia and Japan can participate

Poll Rules:
  • Only one person will be the winner as there is only one set of testing equipment available per forum
  • Fanatec reserves the right to choose more then one tester/reviewer from this poll by the number of polls received. It is not a given that there will be extra testers/reviewers.
  • After the poll is closed and the winner is known, I will contact the winner and forward his/her personal information (Username, Full name, Shipping address, E-mail address, Phone number) to the Community Test Supervisor Sean Cebron (nickname: Sonac). After which he will contact the winner and arrange everything from there on out.
  • Votes made by members who joined at time of or after the start of the poll will be deducted from the end result.
  • This poll will close on Apr 15 2012 at 2:14 AM
  • The Community Test Manager Christiaan (LogiForce) van Beilen will not participate in this poll as to remain biased as event host.

Participants:​

Participant #1 - HoiHman:
Username: HoiHman
Registration date: Oct 25 2011
Number of posts: 208
Favourite games: GT5, RBR, Dirt 2 & 3, Iracing, Race 07, Rfactor 1&2, Project Cars (all PC except GT5)
Platforms: PC, PS3
Prefered driving style: F1, Rally, GT
Current gear: CSR Elite with CSP, tripple screen 46" 55" 46" setup, OMG race seat, high end pc, BKG2 (next week)
Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: n/a
Short introduction/statement:
I've been simracing for over 20 years now. I Started a long time ago with a just keyboard and i have had a lot racing gear over the years.
I have a BMW garage, so the option of finally driving with a real BMW steering wheel is just a big, very big thing for me.

My review would be about the CSW, but also about the CSW compared to the CSR Elite as a lot sim racers want to be informed about the differences betweem them. I also have very good technical background (beeing a mechanic) and a two and half year history with the fanatec products.

Link to application post: CLICK

Participant #2 - mannix:
Username: mannix
Registration date: Apr 01 2012
Number of posts: 1
Favourite games: GT5, GTR/Race07, NKP, KRP, Project Cars, rFactor, Dirt 3, F1 2011, NFS Shift (owns almost every PC racing game)
Prefered driving style: F1, GT, Rally
Current gear: Logitech G25, Projector 100", Rinoseat, PC+PS3
Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: Any in last 10 years or so, but I certainly know how to write a review as I'm an avid reader. My first duty at work is very similar, I write documents for enterprises: analysis, R&D reports, technical requirements, etc. In the past I wrote some articles for the PCWorld magazine in Italy.

Unfortunately the user didn't provide any links to his material.

I've been a gamer from last 30 years, starting from ZX Spectrum. Simracing has become my top interest since first Simbin's GTR. I'll have, finally, some spare time in coming months and would like to build a second rig here in Germany (my first gear is in Italy) also I have a friend with PS3+100" Projector 500mt away (wonder who suggested him to buy it )
I have a BMW in garage too, modded Mini Cooper S. And I'm still looking for a decent simulation of it!

My review would be honest and unbiased, I played most of Logitech and Thrustmaster wheels, less experience with Fanatec products. I have a strong background in IT, it's my job, much less in cars/mechanics it's just an hobby to me.

Participant #3 - JoepW:
Username: JoepW
Registration date: Jan 28 2011
Number of posts: 11
Favourite games: iRacing road @ PC
Platforms: PC
Prefered driving style: Road GT
Current gear: PC, Triple Screen - 24", AMD 7970, W7, 16 Gb, SSD 120 Gb, 1Tb HDD, Seperate PC for telemetry & Basshakers, Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2, CSP, Self build rig with racechair
I'm very active @ gathering.tweakers.net with helping people with iRacing, setting up tournaments and I race a lot.
Due to my technical background (rl racing, RC racing) combined with my passion for sim-racing I'm the guy for the Netherlands / Benelux to test a set.

Participant #4 - gcr driver:
Username: gcr driver
Registration date: Apr 01 2012
Number of posts: 1
Favourite games: GT5, F1 2011, GTR 1&2, Rfactor, Dirt 3
Preffered driving style: Road F1, Road GT, Rally
Current gear: 911 GT3 RS with CSP, Wheel stand pro, Caterham Racing Shell Seat, PC, PS3
My Name is Michael and ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by motorsport, not to say that I am a little fanatic. My very first game was the classic “Stunts”. Growing up I also got more and more interested in the technical aspects of motorsport in general and Formula 1 in particular. That was also the time when Simracing moved into my focus.

During the last three years I was a member of a Formula Student Racing Team. My tasks were developing, the suspension and driving the team’s racing car at different contests. Practicing on PS3 and PC helped me a lot to prepare for competition. During this time I tested different steering wheels to be as close as possible to the real feeling and racing experience. I have been following the CSW project since it first started. Now I would like to be part of the next big step in Simracing hardware, sharing my knowledge about motorsports and my own experiences driving racing cars. Being an honest person I have to admit that I`m not a hardcore Simracer spending hours on it every day. However I think I got a very good and interesting background with my studies in automotive engineering being almost finished, internships at different racing teams and experience in driving a racing car on the track. Feeling in front of a screen what comes as close as possible to the real experience on the track, is what makes the crucial difference between an average and an excellent gaming experience. It is this difficult task I would be proud to be part of.

Participant #5 - Pingwhen:
Username: Pingwhen
Registration date: May 11 2009
Number of posts: 323
Favourite games: iRacing as number 1, love some GT5, dirt 1/2/3, and f1 2012
Prefered driving style: Road LMP/GT/F1, Oval Nascar/IRL, Rally ( but really anything that is in the dirt games, even run some Richard Burns rally.
Current gear: i run a g25 and a g27. i have a home made steal simrig with racing bucket. Computer, PS3. PS3 has every racing game I play, besides iRacing.
Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: I'm more of a quiet fellow popping in and out when i need too. i post most frequently in the iRacing forums on this site, its almost a family over there i love it. but i still do the post every now and then in the gt5 sections. always like looking at the photos people do.
I feel I would be a good candidate for this type review. I , like most of us, have been waiting some time now for this wheel. i purchased Club Sport peddles in October (when wheel was going be coming in December). i have good writing skills and feel i can be easily understood. i have the room for this type of review, the DSLR for pictures, and more importantly time. racing is a passion for me, its something i love to do, and something i work hard at to ever improve. i firmly believe i am not the only one that feels this way. but what i can do is review this wheel, and show my fellow Simracers if this is the wheel is everything they thought it would be. I'm not here to post a review and go on my lovely way. i am here to do a job, have fun no less, but do a serious job and make sure i cover every aspect of this wheel, show what it looks like inside and out, and answer questions. i know i hate asking a question and it just falls threw the cracks. I want to answer every person questions to my best ability and in a timely manner because i think this wheel is going to be a big deal and the last thing WE all want to do is spend our hard earned money on something we are not more than satisfied with.

Participant #6 - Mayaman:
Username: Mayaman
Registration date: Jun 21 2010
Number of posts: 653
Favourite games: PC: rFactor, F1 2011, Dirt series, NFS Shift series. Xbox: Forza 4 triple screen. PS3: GT5 triple screen
Platforms: PC, PS3, Xbox 360
Prefered driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Rally WRC
Current gear: D-Box motion platform. Alienware PC running a triple 50" projection setup. Visionracer VR3 custom with CSR-E and Dual TH8 shifters with handbrake. Perfect pedal modded G27 pedals

Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=5479
I've been sim racing for many years and have had many different racing setups. I also drive my cars at autocross and track day events.

Participant #7 - MATKAP:
Username: MATKAP
Registration date: Jan 26 2006
Number of posts: 18
Favourite games: PC - İracing ( husnu guven ),
PS3 - GT5 ( MtkP-TR ), XBOX - Forza ( MtkP Husnu )

Platforms:
Prefered driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Oval
Current gear: 23'' Triple Screen PC Setup
Custom Sim Rig , buttkicker gamer ( http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n551/Husnuguven/Fotoraf0274.jpg )
911 Turbo S Wheel and CS Pedals (CST F1 3B coming )

Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_48922844/mpage_6/tm.htm
I love sim racing and simulation equipments . I would like to CSW 👍

Participant #8 - GORDATA2NICE:
Username: GORDATA2NICE
Registration date: Jan 19 2011
Number of posts: 130
Favourite games: GT5, rFactor 1 & 2, simraceway, iracing, DIRT 3, F1 2010 & 2011, Project Cars.
Prefered driving style: GT, F1, Rally
Current gear: Obutto Gaming Chair, Triple Screen Setup 24", 2 sets of Fanatec Clubsports with Tuning kit,Fanatec Elite, Fanatec GT2 & GT3RS Version 2, Rennsport WheelStand, Playstation,
I have only been Sim racing on a hardcore level for the last 2 years but I go back to Gran Turismo on the original playstation. I have been sucked in by all the technological advance to bring the realism to you right in your home. I currently run with three leagues on the computer (VOR, CMSRacing and WCGTR2.com) for at least the better part of the week. I spend about 1-2 hours a day practicing to race days.

Why me: I think I would be a good reviewer because I have had all the complete line of Fanatec wheels to be of good comparison to users out there on the fence on getting this wheel. I come from a background of pushing products to the limit and finding their flaws and trying to improve upon them. I think working together with fanatec, I can help release a product that will provide excellent user experience.

Participant #9 - MadRR:
Username: MadRR
Registration date: Jan 28 2011
Number of posts: 73
Favourite games: Iracing & Richard Burns Rally (PC), GT5 (PS3)
Prefered driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Oval, and Rally
Current gear: Fanatec CSR wheel & shifter set, Clubsport Pedals, Playseat
Evolution Alcantara race seat, ibuypower gaming pc, PS3

Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: I have yet to write a official wheel or sim product review, but I have given my insight on various games and products on different forums like my league forum at http://onlinesimracing.proboards.com.
I first started sim racing with GT on PS1 and Nascar racing on PC. I didn't get serious about it being a hobby until the PS3 came out and being able to race online with others. Been racing seriouly since then. End of last year I got a gaming pc and got into iracing. That's what I mostly race now along with RBR. I've ran a SBK bike racing league & forum for over a year and I have been in mutiple road and oval leagues on both iracing and PS3.

I think I would be a great tester for multiple reasons. I've been sim racing for quite a few years now and have played lots of sim racing games. I have both PC and PS3 to test the CSW on. Also I currently & competitively race road, oval and rally. I believe by racing in all these different styles of racing that I can give a review that will benefit all types of sim racers and not just a certain type of racer. I've also been using fanatec products since joining iracing. Another good reason I think I could give a complete review is because I own and have used 4 different wheels in the last 8 months. I have a Logitech momo, DFGT, Fanatec GT2 & currently a CSR.

Participant #10 - ilonioum:
Username: ilonioum
Registration date: Sep 21 2010
Number of posts: 403
Favourite games: GTR, GTR2, NFS: Porsche Unleashed, GT5, FM4, Project C.A.R.S., Dirt 3, F1 2011, NFS Shift
Preffered driving style: GT, F1, Rally
Current gear: CSR Elite Wheel, CSP pedals, Custom made rig (can be found here)
Links to reviews or other texts that show volunteer's expertise: I have not yet done any reviews, mostly short write ups regarding different hardware. A small review of a CSR Elite wheel can be found at my cockpit page herehere.
I have been racing since 1 NFS and 1 GT came out, back then the best controllers were a keyboard and the DS1.
Racing is something you either like or you don't and as most of the guys here love it. My first wheel was MS Side Winder and I remember watching Senna's last races with my father.

While I might not have 14 hours a day to race I do have some very dedicated time when I pay attention to the details. I have all the equipment and titles that might be required for the test as well as the other Fanatec gear that might be required for a comparison test. I like Fanatec but I equally respect all other brands so I will be fare and honest in my review.

Also I do run a website/forum with my friends/members (who are very experienced and great racers) dedicated to sim-racing. I believe that it definitely adds to an experience. The link to the website can be found in my signature.

Participant #11 - R3N3G4D:
Username: R3N3G4D
Registration date: Feb 17 2011
Number of posts: 3
Favourite games: iRacing, netKar Pro, rFactor2, CARS, GT5, F1 2011, RBR
Prefered driving style: Road GT, Road F1, Oval, Rally
Current gear: Gaming PC, PS3, XBOX 360, ButtKicker Gamer 2, 43" Triple Screen Setup, Playseat, Logitech G27, GoPro HD Hero2
I don't really have any track racing experience, but I've always loved motor sports and I've been sim racing for over three years and spend almost all my free time doing it. I've also done a decent amount of autocross racing and have used the OMP Superturismo, OMP Corisca and Sparco 375, which are similar to the BMW rim. Sim racing has definitely helped with autocross and autocross has helped with sim racing so I think the experience in both will be beneficial when testing these products. With my work schedule I have almost unlimited time to test so I would be able to commit a lot of time to deliver a highly detailed and thorough review. I have experience using the G25, G27, Fanatec 911 GT3 and Thrustmaster GT500RS and would contribute a completely unbiased review including high quality photos and video. I also just purchased a GoPro HD Hero2 so I can film some awesome first-person videos of the wheel in action. The possible camera angles with the GoPro provide a unique perspective of the wheel in action.

I haven't participated in any product reviews in the past, but I've already started doing research to figure out the most important aspects for the review and will put in the work to provide the in-depth information potential customers will be looking for. I know the amount of comprehensive research I do any time I'm searching for a product and I know how beneficial unbiased and detailed reviews are so I'll do my best to deliver that. If I get this opportunity I would also be completely open to questions and requests to help provide any specific information people are looking for. I might not have the most experience, but I'll definitely put in the time and effort to deliver a review that covers everything you want to know about these products and more. The sim racing community has always been super helpful and it would be awesome to get this opportunity to be a part of that and contribute to the product development.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone!
Thanks logiforce for stepping in to run this thang. I know it sucked only getting 11 nominees, but it made your job easier for sure.

Caz
Good luck everyone!
Thanks logiforce for stepping in to run this thang. I know it sucked only getting 11 nominees, but it made your job easier for sure.

No problem. I hope I did well so far and hopefully I can do it again sometime in the future. Maybe Thomas will let me host those "Community Live Review Events" in the future. Who knows as it was just an idea I upped earlier that he liked as a separate thing. So not sure if it is even going to be happening. But it would be nice to stage something like that at the Nurburgring with the slogan "A hell of a wheel at a hell of a location". However that is for a different time. ;)

Bit of a poor turn out I must say.
I thought people were crying out for this.

Oh well.

Spagetti69

Oh well.

I got the same feeling. It is a shame some people abused the csre test (don't recall where). I think the $500+ deposit made this a less appealing proposition (not blaming fanatec at all). More pc sim focused sights like iracing have had a decent turn out. That is this wheels target market after all.

Oh well.

I thought about entering but there was much better aplicants than me who deserve the chance. Other thing is that I am not entirely sure if I want CSW or CSR-E with better rim and rims options are not clear yet. Lastly my turbo S with leather rim is still working ok for me and if I think rationally, I would not buy new wheel before next new interesting game comes out.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised at the turnout for this test. I think the $500 deposit scares the non serious away. I also think the fact that with basically one person getting chosen as the tester for this forum that a sub par review will not be looked highly upon and will tarnish ones rep so I think that weeds out the non serious types as well. Frankly I thought many of the CSR E testers after reading their reviews were certainly not deserving and had selfish reasons volunteering as a tester for their forum. I'm not pointing fingers at any of the chosen testers on this forum as I enjoyed the reviews I read here but some of the reviews I read on some of the forums were a complete joke....."reviews" that one could type up in 10 mins that offered next to nothing in terms of real info. I remember thinking to myself that some of these guys couldn't have made it any more plain that they did it to get a discount forgetting the part that they were counted upon to actually put in some effort on a review.

Perhaps too that those who were honest with themselves felt they couldn't do a review proper justice. I considered throwing my hat in the ring at one point due to my extensive experience of driving on road courses in high performance autos, strong mechanical background that could be useful in diagnosing mechanical issues with the CSW if any arise and comparative experience from having used/owned numerous sim wheels to compare the CSW too. I quickly decided though that I couldn't offer what many are looking for as for one I don't currently have a gaming PC ( a situation that will be rectified in the near future I hope) which rules out many a great game and being a father of two young kids and working almost 50hrs a week doesn't leave enough time to due a proper job that would be expected of one given the responsibility of the review.

And besides.....I have a CSR E that I'm quite pleased with that I'll be even more pleased with once a wheel of equal quality to its base is offered. I'm a multi platform user so a wheel like the CSW lacks some appeal for me on its PS3/PC "limitation". I don't think it's a stretch to assume the CSW in terms of FFB isn't going to feel much if any different in comparison seeing as mechanically at the base they're the same other than the PCB.

Last edited:
I voted for Ping.

I would of voted for Ping or Mad but argh...such a close call between my two iracing brothers. No hard feelings.

I wonder if there will still be a come back after Easter. It's not an impossibility yet. :)

Are we allowed to have people sign up and vote for us? I figured this might not be allowed so I haven't told any friends of mine. I just noticed that some people's votes are coming from people just signing up and voting. If this is the case I'm going to do so as well. I did have one friend that signed up and voted but he couldn't remember his gt planet name and don't have the same email anymore.

I'm sure logiforce will be weeding out votes who's members have a newer join date than the start of round 3.
This was done for the csr:e testing as well.

Ok I was just checking. I'm not trying to call anyone out but 6 out of 9 of Matkap's votes have come from people that signed up either yesterday or today.

I forgot to mention that rule in the rules. A terrible mistake on my part. It was indeed enforced in the previous poll of the CSR Elite and we will do so again. Thanks for reminding me guys. Updated the rules in the OP. I will carefully analyze each vote at the end.

Raitziger
This might not be like this if there was no discount bonus.( just saying)

And who by his right mind would (when having to pay full price) would want to do the extra work of making a review and doing proper testing if he can have a fully tested and finished product a bit later? Just saying as well.

And who by his right mind would (when having to pay full price) would want to do the extra work of making a review and doing proper testing if he can have a fully tested and finished product a bit later? Just saying as well.

Only the most active and hardcore forum members, the ones who want to get their hands on the latest kit first and do great reviews regardless of the price they pay for the products.

Without a doubt we will see high quality reviews after the wheel is officially launched.

However I am also very confident that person select from the poll will gives us an impressive review.

Only the most active and hardcore forum members, the ones who want to get their hands on the latest kit first and do great reviews regardless of the price they pay for the products.

Without a doubt we will see high quality reviews after the wheel is officially launched.

However I am also very confident that person select from the poll will gives us an impressive review.

I'm sure that you will have your chance to pay the full price for the CSW as soon as it is released and you can indeed make a review.

I will pay the full price in case if I don't get a review sample so it is not only the chance to get a discount.

Discount, as mentioned by LF, is mostly an appreciation for the work done by a reviewer. And if you think that 400 euros is not much money then I would like to congratulate you - you are a rich man ;)

No offence here or hard feelings, just sharing my thoughts as you did.

Look there is clearly one big favourite at GT planet for now, to bad it's not me :)

A very big thanks to everyone who gave me their vote so far 👍
If i somehow do win this, i won' t let you guys down.

The reason for me to join this community test is get my hands asap on this piece of hardware and share my opinion with the my fellow simracers.

I have been doubting since september last year wether to get the CSR Elite OR the CSW.
I decided to buy both and keep the CSR Elite for the xbox. But i also know that not everyone is that fortunate.

The discount is important, but the review will also take a lot time to do it right.

Still hoping to get some extra votes in the upcomming days :)

All I can say is thanks for the votes and I hope the voting is fair.

Secondly, while I'm an optimistic person, I'm also very critical of things I pay money for. Also, I've been working on my rig for months trying to make it as realistic as possible. If chosen I'll test with and without motion.

If chosen ill try to be as thorough as possible.

I'm not trying to call anyone out

The funny thing is that you just did! Also you got one voter that subscribed here yesterday...

I know Matkap from earlier and trust his experience when it comes to racing and racing gears. I don't believe it's cheating as long as no one votes from the same IP several times!!!

Imo., that should be checked

Back