◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,929 comments
slicks have been around forever when me and my dad had a race car (we ran stock cars at varney) we use to go to the scrap yard buy tires and takes off the treads

Race of Champions - Confirming Participation

Vote: 1
Vote: E

Race of Champions
January Season
January 30, 2014
9:30 pm ET

If you are listed below, you have been selected to participate in the January SNAIL Race of Champions. Please reply to this post with your intentions to race as soon as possible - this includes the alternates as well. Also be sure to make 2 voting selections.

Format:

3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Starting position determined by division in reverse order (D8, D7, D6, etc).
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 drivers + 1 host

Division 1
1- @dgaf95integra (243) - 1 / C
2- @msgt-sd (239.1) - 2 / E
alt3- @fizzer (232)

Division 2
3- @Ricky Wilson (249.1) - 2 / C
4- @gtr3123 (223.2) - 2 / A
alt7- @Xradkins (204) - 2 / F

Division 3
5- @GTP_Vertigo (229.2) - 1 / C
6- @pakicote (227)
alt5- @serge19 (215) - 2 / E

Division 4
7- @Lessen (239) - 2 / E
8- @IceManFan_7 (222)
alt4- @chevron (220)

Division 5
9- @llNovall (252.1)
10- @WIDEeyedDRIVR (248) - 1 / F
alt2- @GTP_Nobby (245) - 1 / C - Entered

Division 6
11- @TEX36 (213.3) - 2 / F
12- @CanuckleheadII (211)
alt6- @TomMang_68 (206)

Division 7
13- @Tangled_Up (247) - 1 / E
alt1- @jnmjeeper (230) - Now included in RoC
alt9- @cmbeal317 (213.1)

Division 8
14- @JamCar0ne (266) - 1 / E
15- @syntorz (248) [At-Large]
alt8- @Hellbringer69 (247.1)

Confirmed drivers will be in bold
Scratched drivers will be crossed out

Driver Selection Process:
1- (12) Top 2 in divisions 1-6
2- (02) Winner in divisions 7-8
3- (01) One At-Large Bids (AL) - Highest season point total of a non-automatic driver

Alternate ranking determined by:
1- First non-automatic or at-large place finishers in order of points scored for the month
2- Second non-automatic or at-large place finishers in order of points scored for the month

COMBO Selection (1 combo is set)

1- RUF RGT '00 at Tokyo Route 246 (2 weeks)
--- 397 HP / PP 506 / SM tires

VOTE FOR 1 of the following

1- Lotus Elise 111R Race Car '04 at Grand Valley Speedway (2 weeks) - 6
--- 274HP / PP 534 / RH tires

2- Lexus IS350 GT300 Base Model '08 at Grand Valley Speedway (2 weeks) - 7
--- 333HP / PP 513 / RH tires

A- Nissan GT-R NISMO GT-3 '13 (or equivalent) at Tokyo Route 246 - 1
--- 621HP / PP 617 / RH tires

B- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14 at North - Cape Ring
--- 476HP / PP 533 / SS tires

C- BMW M3 GTR '03 at Ascari Full Track - 4
--- 393HP / PP 505 / SM tires

D- Mini Marcos GT '70 at Silverstone Stowe Circuit
--- 78HP / PP 391 / CS tires

E- Lotus Elan S1 '62 at Autumn Ring - Reverse - 5
--- 109HP / PP 404 / CS tires

F- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 at Tokyo Route 246 - 4
--- 278HP / PP 440 / SH tires

What to do?
1- Reply to this post to confirm or decline entry
2- Vote for 1 or 2
3- Vote A or B or C or D or E or F

I will continue to update this post. Bookmark it to find it easily.

If I "Like" your post, I have recorded your decision.
Race of Champions
January Season
January 30, 2014

If you are listed below, you have been selected to participate in the January SNAIL Race of Champions. Please reply to this post with your intentions to race as soon as possible - this includes the alternates as well. Also be sure to make 2 voting selections.

Format:

3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 drivers + 1 host

Division 1
alt3- @fizzer (232)

Division 2

Division 3
6- @pakicote (227)

Division 4
7- @Lessen (239) - 2 / E
8- @IceManFan_7 (222)
alt4- @chevron (220)

Division 5
9- @llNovall (252.1)

Division 6
alt6- @TomMang_68 (206)

Division 7
alt1- @jnmjeeper (230) - Now included in RoC
alt9- @cmbeal317 (213.1)

Division 8

3- (01) One At-Large Bids (AL) - Highest season point total of a non-automatic driver

1- First non-automatic or at-large place finishers in order of points scored for the month
2- Second non-automatic or at-large place finishers in order of points scored for the month

1- Lotus Elise 111R Race Car '04 at Grand Valley Speedway (2 weeks) - 6

E- Lotus Elan S1 '62 at Autumn Ring - Reverse - 5

What to do?
2- Vote for 1 or 2

I feel your pain Aero. I have two large projects that need to be completed before spring, just signed up to coach little league with an eight week pre-season clinic, and signed my son up for evening swim lessons starting next week.

This league is sooo talented that showing up without practicing just puts you in everyone's way. And my practice time is getting slim.

I'm going to try part time starting in February, and plan on getting my fix on Mondays. I 100% agree with you about Monday Night Miatas. It's refreshing to show up, find out what track you're running, and just let her rip. Ned had a great idea with the series, and it shows by being full every Monday.

Well, looks like I'm not the only one eh? I also have made the difficult decision to take a back seat and a different approach at improving my racecraft along with my consistency. Hopefully with that will come a little more speed as well. 👍 The main reason is work is very busy right now. Time is not on my side. Without me being able to get a little practice in each week, I'm just cheating myself and possibly ruining my fellow SNAILS races in the process. I enjoyed doing a few Team SNAIL duties for my division and learned alot about what it takes to make a league like this tic. I don't even know the half of it, I do know it takes personal time and dedication that I just cant provide at this time unfortunately. I plan on still running in the Wed. night RCS for the 7th season and also try out the new GT1 series on Fridays if time allows. I hope to be back full time sooner than later. I will be looking forward to the new changes that I am hearing about and hopefully getting right back in the saddle, helping out with the TEAM SNAIL duties and doing what I love doing, racing with my fellow SNAILS. See y'all on track soon.

Last edited:
Race of Champions
January Season
January 30, 2014

Format:

3 x 20 minute races
Race 1-
Race 2 & 3- Reverse grid

15 drivers + 1 host

Division 1
alt3- @fizzer (232) - Eligible for entry

Division 2

Division 3
6- @pakicote (227)

Division 4
7- @Lessen (239) - 2 / E
8- @IceManFan_7 (222) - 1 / E
alt4- @chevron (220)

Division 5
9- @llNovall (252.1)

Division 6
alt6- @TomMang_68 (206)

Division 7
alt1- @jnmjeeper (230)
alt9- @cmbeal317 (213.1)

Division 8

1- Lotus Elise 111R Race Car '04 at Grand Valley Speedway (2 weeks) - 7

E- Lotus Elan S1 '62 at Autumn Ring - Reverse - 6

What to do?
2- Vote for 1 or 2

I'm in - 1 / E

@Die_Birdy_Die Have you driven both the SLS and BMW? What are they like?
I've tested all 4 cars they are very stable and with the low range turbo they aren't sluggish so the should be able to compete with the GT-R on the big straights. The Audi is a drivers car very slippery on the turns, with good acceleration and decent top speed. the gt-r is well a gt-r nough said! lol

Are we racing on super bowl sunday?
I'm holding a non snail sanctioned race on Daytona and la Sarthe as I am not watching the super bowl but want to race if interested here's the rules and sign up sheet
OFFICIAL OFF WEEK RACE SIGN UP
So here are the Rules:
damage on heavy
Unless 3 or more people are involved in a crash, race stays green. Restart is after pit road and all cars are bunched back together. Then based on leaders discretion.
If it stays green mandatory caution at 30 minutes
OLR applies
Racing is at regular time 9:30pm unless room is full early then we start when room is full. Room will be open at 8:30ish
Car sign up is based on first come first serve sign up early. (sign up sheet at bottom of spread sheet)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-iRtz0PF59jUJGMKXcSuhyxhksXXkB4pX-npBA9w_cg/edit?usp=sharing

If anything changes I will post it in the thread. Also would like to do a practice room tomorrow
Oh and full suspension and transmission tuning allowed the only consideration are no aero kits allowed and no de-tuning of engine

#TBT

Nearly all of us have been driving for a number of years. The nature of the beast is that sometimes things happen that we don't intend, meaning we get in an accident.

Today's topic:
What was your first automobile accident and give a brief description. Actual pics would be, um, a neat bonus.

My first accident was within a month of me getting my license. I was driving my Dad's Ford F150 extended cab on a back road with my best friend. We were heading to pick up our girlfriends to go see the movie, Robinhood. Now you can figure out when this was. The truck had 2 gas tanks and I was running low on the one, so I leaned to the right to flip switch to the other one. As I was leaning I turned the wheel and veered into the ditch. No injuries, and basically nothing to the truck either. We walked down the road to a farm house and had a guy pull the truck out with his tractor. Decided to cancel the movie though.

Something like this:

images

I've always felt the racing tires in GT were waaay too good/grippy on most cars, especially under brakes.
Well they are racing tires...

I'm sorry but this tire regulation change really doesn't sit well with me. On a most basic principle level. I will have to do some testing with cars to see if Sports Soft is enough grip or if it destroys the car.

#TBT

Nearly all of us have been driving for a number of years. The nature of the beast is that sometimes things happen that we don't intend, meaning we get in an accident.

Today's topic:
What was your first automobile accident and give a brief description. Actual pics would be, um, a neat bonus.

My first accident was within a month of me getting my license. I was driving my Dad's Ford F150 extended cab on a back road with my best friend. We were heading to pick up our girlfriends to go see the movie, Robinhood. Now you can figure out when this was. The truck had 2 gas tanks and I was running low on the one, so I leaned to the right to flip switch to the other one. As I was leaning I turned the wheel and veered into the ditch. No injuries, and basically nothing to the truck either. We walked down the road to a farm house and had a guy pull the truck out with his tractor. Decided to cancel the movie though.

Something like this:

images

Not including all the field car wrecks on the farm before I turned 16, my "official licensed on the street accident" was this. It was 1977, had mom's '67 Chevelle towing a trailer with snowmobile on it. Old dude and his wife turn left out of side road right in front of me, I had time to slow down a bit but we hit front corner to front corner, then the cars slammed side to side, my passenger side to his driver side, then trailer whips around and hits the back corner of his car and the sled goes up on his trunk and smashes out the rear window. It was amazing no one was hurt. Was able to fix the Chevelle but his new Chrysler K car was a write off! And no damage to the sled, a '72 Arctic Cat Panther, it was a tank.
Wish I had a picture but who carried a camera with them back then!

#TBT

My dad saw this car under a tarp at a friend's house on a farm and bought it for $10. We cleaned it up, put a battery and some gas in it and to our surprise it actually started.

Our "backyard" was big enough to make up a race track and my brother and I started doing " laps" around our race track. At first we could only get up to about 20km/h down the straight before a sharp left turn. Then it's back up again and then you had to negotiate a turn through a gap between a few trees.

At 20 km/h it was no problem.... However we realized after a while we had to start to hit the brakes when we came to the end of the straight.. we were getting up to 50 km/h down the straight! The engine was started to loosen the grime because after awhile we had to slam the brakes because we were hitting speeds of up to 80km/h coming down the straight!! Negotiating the turn through the trees was becoming tricky and you had to be careful.

We went to call my dad and told him what was happening. He took it out for a lap, he was able to make the turn at the end of the straight but totally misjudged the speed through the trees. He side swiped the tree and flattened the body on the side of the car. No injuries, we were just a little shaken up.

He took the car to the body shop. They fixed it up nicely and painted blue with a white roof. We drove the car for a few years after that!

auto union.jpg

TBT post:
I was 20 years old and had a basically stock '91 Camaro RS V8. Between burnouts and trips to the dragstrip, there was not alot of tread left on the rear tires. I was on our beltway at around 55 mph with a steady rain, when going on a straight, hit a large area of puddled water. I felt the nose dip, immediately followed by the tail harshly swinging to the right. I countersteered right away, but at that speed I was already sideways and into a 360 degree spin. As the car almost completed it's spin, I noticed I was spinning toward a large sign post and if continued to spin would likely hit it. I guess instinct took over and I remember deliberatly locking up the brakes to skid sideways to hopefully clear the post. As luck had it, I did clear the post and there was no traffic in close proximity, and I ended up with the back of my car stuck in the ditch. A 4x4 pickup saw I was stuck, stopped, and pulled me out. No injury to me, and the car only sustained some buckling of the paint on the very bottom of the rear bumper cover. Also, I had to jam a screw driver into the exhaust tailpipes to loosen up and clear out the mud jammed into them. Lesson learned here: make sure to have tires with plenty of tread on them. I don't have pictures of the car stuck, but here are a few pictures of the car a few years later, cleaned up and heavily modified. If you look closely at the last picture, you can see the paint damage on the rear bumper cover.
1918230007_large.jpg

1918230011_large.jpg

1918230009_large.jpg

Last edited:
So the vipers and sls amg's are gone are gone. If we keep this up and every one shows this will be a great night of racing!

OFFICIAL OFF WEEK RACE SIGN UP

So here are the Rules:
damage on heavy
Unless 3 or more people are involved in a crash, race stays green. Restart is after pit road and all cars are bunched back together. Then based on leaders discretion.
If it stays green mandatory caution at 30 minutes
OLR applies
Racing is at regular time 9:30pm unless room is full early then we start when room is full. Room will be open at 8:30ish
Car sign up is based on first come first serve sign up early. (sign up sheet at bottom of spread sheet)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-iRtz0PF59jUJGMKXcSuhyxhksXXkB4pX-npBA9w_cg/edit?usp=sharing

If anything changes I will post it in the thread. Also would like to do a practice room tomorrow
Oh and full suspension and transmission tuning allowed the only consideration are no aero kits allowed and no de-tuning of engine

Well they are racing tires...

I'm sorry but this tire regulation change really doesn't sit well with me. On a most basic principle level. I will have to do some testing with cars to see if Sports Soft is enough grip or if it destroys the car.
Yeah, they're racing tires, but no tires are as grippy as RS tires are in GT. The RH tires are pretty goodthough. The difference between RH and SS isnt that great in terms of grip, so I don't think these new regs will destroy any car's drivability (unless there were some low pp old school torque monster racers out there we would have used)

Im glad we don't use RS at all in SNAIL, and using low powered race cars on "semislicks" sounds reasonable to me, but im willing to be proven wrong :)

(Keep in mind I even said RS was too much tire for the 800+HP Zo6 race car so maybe im crazy)

Latest Posts

Back