2014 Ford F-150 Tremor (New Lightning!?)

• Thread starter Slash
  • 45 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
The 2014 F-150 Tremor is the first Ecoboost V6 performance truck...much in the same way the old Lightning was with the V8's. I have got to say, this is the first truck in a long time that has gotten me excited. Just wow. Only thing I would change is have a V8 option. This truck is one that actually appeals to me greatly. I love it. This really is a great looking truck. Ford is on a roll.

2014-Ford-F150-Tremor.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

2014-ford-f-150-tremor-ecoboost0107-1372368964.jpg

DSC_6660.JPG

f-150-tremor-back-580x326.jpg

Specs:

Engine: 3.5L Turbo-charged Ecoboost V6
Horsepower: 365 @ 5,000rpm
Torque: 420 @ 2,500rpm
Rear Axle: 4.10 gears
Weight: 5,080lbs (150lbs lighter than the SuperCab model)
Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic (Sorry, no manual as of now)

Ford says it has twin independent variable camshaft timing and up to 90% peak torque is available from 1,700rpm through 5,000rpm. An electronic locking differential will be standard, though personally on a truck that kind of bothers me.

The Tremor will be treated to the FX appearance package, and its seats are from the FX trucks as well -- as in the FX, the Tremor's sport bucket seats have Alcantara inserts. This will be the only regular-cab F-150 Ford offers with a flow-through center console and floor-mounted shifter.

0-60 times are anticipated to be under 6 seconds in 2WD, and be comparable to former Lightnings. 4WD should be much quicker.

Also comes in 2WD and 4WD but uses the stock suspension and it isn't an SVT product unfortunately.

More pics here:

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2013/163_news130626_meet_the_2014_ford_f_150_tremor/

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-allnew-2014-ford-f150-tremor-is-38212

Personally while I like it I think it could be better. Better handling upgrades, drop in the 5.0 or 6.2L and a nice 6 speed manual and this thing could be stupidly awesome.

Last edited:
Surprised we didn't have a thread for this already. Was shown a few months ago, but I agree, it seems pretty good to me. I'm a fan of the Lightning and this seems like a good take on that theme.

Only thing I've seen a few people note is that the ride height seems unnecessarily high for a vehicle not designed to go off road. There's room for several inches drop with this one.

Surprised we didn't have a thread for this already. Was shown a few months ago, but I agree, it seems pretty good to me. I'm a fan of the Lightning and this seems like a good take on that theme.

Only thing I've seen a few people note is that the ride height seems unnecessarily high for a vehicle not designed to go off road. There's room for several inches drop with this one.

I knew about it but only just thought to post a thread. I was surprised too.

But....it is designed to go offroad. It has the stock FX4 suspension and it comes with 4WD...sounds like it should go offroad to me.

If it was made for better handling then you have a fair point. Personally though I think it looks better a bit higher, especially this body style.

No, not a new Lightning. A Lightning is a street sport truck, like the Raptor is an off-road sport truck. This is...what? I should hope it weighs less than a Supercab, considering it is a single cab. That bench seat probably weighs a fair amount. Power? It's the regular Ecoboost engine, no power upgrade at all.

In short, it's a sticker pack. Unimpressed.

No, not a new Lightning. A Lightning is a street sport truck, like the Raptor is an off-road sport truck. This is...what? I should hope it weighs less than a Supercab, considering it is a single cab. That bench seat probably weighs a fair amount. Power? It's the regular Ecoboost engine, no power upgrade at all.

I didn't say it was a new Lightning. Its the closest thing besides the Raptor (which is based for offroad use) in 10 years. It's something that takes the basic F-150 and makes it sportier and more fun, especially with the 4.10 rear. With that and 4WD, acceleration will be nasty. And the stock F-150 isn't exactly slow either. No, it's not a Lightning or a Raptor, but it is a sportier alternative which was much needed after a 10 year absence from the Lightning.

It doesn't have a bench seat either, look at the pictures.

If one of the standard engines with the standard horsepower rating makes it a Lightning followup, does that mean that the Ram Express is a replacement for the SRT-10?

I'd much rather see Ford and Chevy offer a diesel engine in their half ton trucks than do something like this.

Pretty sure the Ecoboost motor was not available in the single cab before this, so yeah, not just a sticker pack.

It sits way to high to be a sports truck, it needs a good 4-5" drop or more. All the Tremor will be is something that bros will do bro stuff with. Ford really needs to make a proper street truck again with RWD, big wheels, and low suspension, keeping the 3.5L turbo would work too since it's a good engine, they'd just need to turn it up to 400hp-ish.

Also that 3.5L turbo needs to end up in the new Mustang because that would be pretty awesome too. A turbo 4 and a turbo 6 would really help pull the Mustang in the modern sports car era.

0-60 times are anticipated to be under 6 seconds in 2WD, and be comparable to former Lightnings. 4WD should be much quicker.

I would guess the 4WD would be slower to 60 since it will have to lug around more weight. 4WD systems aren't light and they do contribute to drivetrain loss.

If one of the standard engines with the standard horsepower rating makes it a Lightning followup, does that mean that the Ram Express is a replacement for the SRT-10?

Again, it's not a new Lightning, it's a sportier F-150 that actually isn't SVT based 💡

I'd much rather see Ford and Chevy offer a diesel engine in their half ton trucks than do something like this.

That would be nice but isn't needed. That's what the F-250+ is for. If you need that kind of power, buy a truck that is more capable in all departments.

Pretty sure the Ecoboost motor was not available in the single cab before this, so yeah, not just a sticker pack.

This is true, and the fact it's a short bed configuration on top of that, makes it a rare combination these days when most trucks roll off the lot with an extended cab or supercab.

It sits way to high to be a sports truck, it needs a good 4-5" drop or more. All the Tremor will be is something that bros will do bro stuff with. Ford really needs to make a proper street truck again with RWD, big wheels, and low suspension, keeping the 3.5L turbo would work too since it's a good engine, they'd just need to turn it up to 400hp-ish.

Ride height is fine. It doesn't need to be slammed, at least right now. When and if they upgrade the suspension then yes, but right now all it brags about is straight line performance and stop light kick.

I agree about the proper street truck again.

Also that 3.5L turbo needs to end up in the new Mustang because that would be pretty awesome too. A turbo 4 and a turbo 6 would really help pull the Mustang in the modern sports car era.
This isn't the Mustang thread but yeah that would be cool.

I would guess the 4WD would be slower to 60 since it will have to lug around more weight. 4WD systems aren't light and they do contribute to drivetrain loss.

Not necessarily. Yes it has to lug some weight but if it has as good power to weight ratio as they are saying, getting to 60+ should be pretty fun.

Again, it's not a new Lightning, it's a sportier F-150 that actually isn't SVT based 💡

It's an F-150 FX2 with slightly lower weight that Ford put 2 foot tall vinyls on. Even the Ford Ranger Splash at least had some suspension changes.

That would be nice but isn't needed. That's what the F-250+ is for. If you need that kind of power, buy a truck that is more capable in all departments.

This is true, and the fact it's a short bed configuration on top of that, makes it a rare combination these days when most trucks roll off the lot with an extended cab or supercab.

There are plenty of people that would make use of a diesel powered half ton. People towing 5th wheel campers, in bed campers, boats and the like have no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but in order to get a diesel they have to. Diesels are a much better option for towing so people get a truck much larger than they actually need. A half ton truck with a diesel getting 25-30+ mpg would be awesome and since diesels are so easy to add power to there would be a lot of potential to have a really quick truck.

I just can't see the point in buying a truck without a diesel engine. Everything a truck is supposed to be used for, a diesel engine is superior. Even in drag racing and the like a diesel can be made quick for a lot cheaper than the gasoline engines found in trucks.

Also, do the half ton Fords have a different grille than the 3/4 and 1 tons? The grille on this truck doesn't look half bad but the grilles on the F-250 and F-350's I see are hideous.

It's an F150 FX2 with slightly lower weight. Even the Ford Ranger Splash at least had some suspension changes.

You can't get a 4.10 rear end in anything other than a Raptor.

There are plenty of people that would make use of a diesel powered half ton. People towing 5th wheel campers, in bed campers, boats and the like have no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but in order to get a diesel they have to. Diesels are a much better option for towing so people get a truck much larger than they actually need. A half ton truck with a diesel getting 25-30+ mpg would be awesome and since diesels are so easy to add power to there would be a lot of potential to have a really quick truck.

I just can't see the point in buying a truck without a diesel engine. Everything a truck is supposed to be used for, a diesel engine is superior. Even in drag racing and the like a diesel can be made quick for a lot cheaper than the gasoline engines found in trucks.

Also, do the half ton Fords have a different grille than the 3/4 and 1 tons? The grille on this truck doesn't look half bad but the grilles on the F-250 and F-350's I see are hideous.

Alright then, if you want the price to skyrocket even more. If you can't do what you need to do with an F-150 then buy the bigger truck, that simple, that's why they are there, and have been there for 60+ years. I can see the point you are trying to make though.

And 25+ mpg? Maybe 20 in a deisel or a V6. I know a lot of the V8s don't do any better now than they did many years ago. My grandfather for example has a 2011 Ram, and with a V8, he told me he gets 12-15mpg on average.

Last edited:

You can't get the 4.10 rear end in anything other than a Raptor...

Except when you get the Ecoboost engine, at which point the 4.10 rear end is a regular option.

Alright then, if you want the price to skyrocket even more. If you can't do what you need to do with an F-150 then buy the bigger truck, that simple, that's why they are there, and have been there for 60+ years. I can see the point you are trying to make though.

There exists a pretty sizeable middle ground in performance between the regular petrol engines offered in the 1500-level trucks and the massive 800+ lb-ft diesels offered in the 2500 trucks.

Ride height is fine. It doesn't need to be slammed, at least right now. When and if they upgrade the suspension then yes, but right now all it brags about is straight line performance and stop light kick.

The ride height is ridiculous. All the Tremor is going to be is something for rich rednecks and bros to squeal the tires with at stop lights. The Lightning could actually go around a corner and be pretty sporty for a truck. Sure it wasn't a car, but I've seen them autox before and for being a fat girl, it does pretty well.

The height also look really out of place with the big wheels and street tires.

You can get the 4.10 rear end on the FX4 per Ford's website.

You can't get the 4.10 rear end in anything other than a Raptor...

Except when you get the Ecoboost engine, at which point the 4.10 rear end is a regular option.

Oops, my bad, you are correct. :banghead:

There exists a pretty sizeable middle ground in performance between the regular petrol engines offered in the 1500-level trucks and the massive 800+ lb-ft diesels offered in the 2500 trucks.

That solely depends on what engine options you are comparing. 6.2L V8 has 385hp roughly 430 lb-ft of torque. If you need more than that, buy a bigger truck.

The ride height is ridiculous. All the Tremor is going to be is something for rich rednecks and bros to squeal the tires with at stop lights. The Lightning could actually go around a corner and be pretty sporty for a truck. Sure it wasn't a car, but I've seen them autox before and for being a fat girl, it does pretty well.

Fair enough.

The height also look really out of place with the big wheels and street tires.

I disagree. For once I think it actually looks alright. Though I do prefer a sidewall, that is easily fixable with aftermarket rims.

Last edited:

And 25+ mpg? Maybe 20 in a deisel or a V6. I know a lot of the V8s don't do any better now than they did many years ago. My grandfather for example has a 2011 Ram, and with a V8, he told me he gets 12-15mpg on average.

My 12 Valve Cummins in my 1 ton dually Dodge gets 20mpg mixed driving and right at 25mpg on the interstate. Diesels get much better fuel mileage than gasoline trucks, or they used to until the EPA barged in, but it isn't unreasonable to expect at least 25mpg out of a newer, smaller diesel engine. I prefer an inline 6 like the Cummins as it has more than proven to be the ideal configuration for a diesel, but Dodge is using a V6 for their diesel powered 1500 and I'm sure Ford and Chevy would use a V6 as well. Even with all the new emissions equipment on the newer diesels they should be able to at least match the mileage my 22 year old 1 ton truck gets.

My 12 Valve Cummins in my 1 ton dually Dodge gets 20mpg mixed driving and right at 25mpg on the interstate. Diesels get much better fuel mileage than gasoline trucks, or they used to until the EPA barged in, but it isn't unreasonable to expect at least 25mpg out of a newer, smaller diesel engine. I prefer an inline 6 like the Cummins as it has more than proven to be the ideal configuration for a diesel, but Dodge is using a V6 for their diesel powered 1500 and I'm sure Ford and Chevy would use a V6 as well. Even with all the new emissions equipment on the newer diesels they should be able to at least match the mileage my 22 year old 1 ton truck gets.

Possibly but I still find it unnecessary. The power a very small diesel would put out would be comparable to the Ecoboost, if not ever so slightly more. Not worth the cost from developing it in my opinion considering at least Ford doesn't have one right now. You shouldn't need more than the V6 then.

That solely depends on what engine options you are comparing. 6.2L V8 has 385hp roughly 430 lb-ft of torque. If you need more than that, buy a bigger truck.

And what if you don't want more than that, but you'd like to be able to match that without getting 12 mpg?

And what if you don't want more than that, but you'd like to be able to match that without getting 12 mpg?

I'd say you're SOL. Don't buy a truck then. That's part of the trade...compromise. And while yeah it shouldn't be, it is.

Possibly but I still find it unnecessary. The power a very small diesel would put out would be comparable to the Ecoboost, if not ever so slightly more. Not worth the cost from developing it in my opinion considering at least Ford doesn't have one right now. You shouldn't need more than the V6 then.

It is clear you don't tow anything, if you did you'd realize how much of a disadvantage it is to have a gasoline engine while working your truck.

It is clear you don't tow anything, if you did you'd realize how much of a disadvantage it is to have a gasoline engine while working your truck.

No, I don't have a hitch on my F-250, I've got a custom pipe bumpers.

I'll still take my 7.5L 460. I will make mention that I hate diesels in general though. Other than the power they make, at the RPMs they make it.

Hence...

"I'd much rather see Ford and Chevy offer a diesel engine in their half ton trucks than do something like this."

Again, what part of, "buy a bigger truck, that's what they are there for" does nobody here seem to understand? Power is good, it only makes as much power as you let it by stepping on the gas pedal.

What does this even mean? What are you supposed to buy instead?

You don't buy it and don't do what needs to be done.

Most people don't need a massive truck but still do need to haul things or want good fuel economy. A diesel F-150 would be a great addition to the F-Series lineup. Also I don't know why Ford doesn't sell the Ranger in the states, but sells it everywhere else. I'd love a small truck with a 4 cylinder diesel.

If Diesels are offered in 1/2 ton trucks (why do they keep using those obsolete numbers?) the sales for those trucks in Europe will probably rise significantly.

Most people don't need a massive truck but still do need to haul things or want good fuel economy. A diesel F-150 would be a great addition to the F-Series lineup. Also I don't know why Ford doesn't sell the Ranger in the states, but sells it everywhere else. I'd love a small truck with a 4 cylinder diesel.

The F-150 is already massive as it is. The F-250 isn't that much larger.

They only just stopped selling the Ranger here (2011 ish I think). No idea why they killed it. I'd personally like to see the Bronco come back.

I didn't say it was a new Lightning.

You did. It's in the threat title.

It doesn't have a bench seat either, look at the pictures.

I should hope so, unless they managed to get Doctor Who on their engineering staff. The weight difference is single cab vs. extended cab, of course it's going to be lighter.

The F-150 is already massive as it is. The F-250 isn't that much larger.

In length, maybe the longest 150 and a standard 250. Gotta remember he 250 is a heavy-duty-only truck.

They only just stopped selling the Ranger here (2011 ish I think). No idea why they killed it. I'd personally like to see the Bronco come back.

For the same reason they killed the mid-sized Taurus and the Crown Vic. It became a fleet vehicle. It rarely changed at all, and that was mainly just body panels. It also sat in a dead, not dying, dead market. In the US, the small truck is an afterthought. Here was the competition: Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevy S-10/Colorado. The Frontier is the only one left, the Tacoma was moved to a mid-sized distinction, and the Colorado as we knew it is dead.

Last edited:
You did. It's in the threat title.
Hence the "?" mark.

I should hope so, unless they managed to get Doctor Who on their engineering staff. The weight difference is single cab vs. extended cab, of course it's going to be lighter.

Personally I'd like to see the return of the bench seat in base models, I love them.

Personally I'd like to see the return of the bench seat in base models, I love them.

If I knew how to express my thoughts in a way that wouldn't get me banned, I'd use it. I speak of a feature that is ubiquitous almost throughout the entire truck market in extended cabs and extra cabs, and even though it is obviously not in this, you assume...something...that leads you to think I was speaking of the front seats.

BTW, bottom dollar, fleet quality ones usually do have bench seats. And don't try to argue that one, I have been on the car lots, looking at everything, within the last month.

Back