2020-21 Formula 1 Off-season threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 177 comments
This kid might even win a championship or two.

*BTW, seems surreal that not only is Mick racing against 2 men who battled against his father during his years of dominance, but were also the next 2 champions to end dad's reign.
Raikkonen and Alonso shouldn't even be on the grid IMO

Raikkonen and Alonso shouldn't even be on the grid IMO

I disagree,

I think raikkonen is merely a development driver, i think he wants the team to do well thats why he's there.

Alonso is still fast, most likely faster than half the grid. You're either dumb or blind to disregard him considering his speed.

If he matches Ocon in 2021 then he's proven that he still deserves a seat.

Unless Renault completely **** up with the car next year i bet Alonso can sneak a podium.

Räikkönen - I would err on the side of no but it's not like Alfa have even close to a good car. Don't think he still has it but unable to see it.

Alonso - I would err on the side of yes seeing as he was easily still faster than other drivers in the post-season test. Can't deny it if he still has it.

I disagree,

I think raikkonen is merely a development driver, i think he wants the team to do well thats why he's there.

Alonso is still fast, most likely faster than half the grid. You're either dumb or blind to disregard him considering his speed.

If he matches Ocon in 2021 then he's proven that he still deserves a seat.

Unless Renault completely **** up with the car next year i bet Alonso can sneak a podium.
Raikkonen and Alonso have had their time and should move over for new talent like Callum Illot and Guanyu Zhou.

Last edited:
Raikkonen and Alonso have had their time and should move over for new talent like Callum Illot and Guanyu Zhou.

Then Hamilton to take a seat and gtdo as well. He's over the hill!

Seats should be given to the fastest drivers the team can get.

I bet Alonso will keep his own just fine for a few more years.

Kimi is definitely on the downward slope.

True but he's taking an opportunity away for someone who deserves it more.

How can they "deserve it more" if hes still just as fast if not faster?

You're talking non sense

Last edited by a moderator:
How can they "deserve it more" if hes still just as fast if not faster?

You're talking non sense
Alonso has already had his turn. I don't know why he's coming back - he won't win a championship, let alone a race with Alpine. What does he have to gain from this?

Last edited:
True but he's taking an opportunity away for someone who deserves it more.

I disagree that other drivers deserve it more. If a driver, old or not, is competitive relative to his machinery, then he justifies that seat. He isn't hogging it if he's good enough. There are other, slower drivers on the grid who are obstructing new talent.

Hypothetical from years back to remove it from today:

Johnny Herbert retired at the end of 2000. He was old. But let's say he really wanted to keep going and tested for Prost, BAR and Arrows going into 2001. He tests slower than Gaston Mazzecane, Ricardo Zonta and Enrique Bernoldi. Obviously he's not fast enough to deserve the drive and the younger drivers deserve those spots. But let's say he was faster than regular drivers Jean Alesi, Jacques Villeneuve and Jos Verstappen, then he's clearly still good enough for those teams.

I know there are always other factors as to why drivers get drives but I'm talking strictly about in-the-car matters.

I've said it many, many times that I actually don't want Fernando Alonso to come back to F1 because he's only diluting his legacy in a midfield car but I do think he still has at least one good year of real pace left in him.

I've said it many, many times that I actually don't want Fernando Alonso to come back to F1 because he's only diluting his legacy in a midfield car but I do think he still has at least one good year of real pace left in him.
So you do agree with me.

Last edited:
From yhe current grid i would drop the following drivers to bring in new talent fron F2 or other Junior categories.

Giavinazzi
Raikkonen
Latifi
Bottas - sure he can qualify, but his racecraft is trash

Last edited:
Not for the reasons given.

I can disagree with Alonso returning to F1 but see that he still earns a seat.
So you're saying that he does deserve a drive. Even though you think he's diluting his legacy by doing so.

Alonso has already had his turn. I don't know why he's coming back - he won't win a championship, let alone a race with Alpine. What does he have to gain from this?
Probably the same thing Kimi has to gain even though it's been 13 years since he actually won a championship.

They likely enjoy the hell out of it (& probably still a good paycheck). It is the premier motorsport of the world & both teams likely feel they're beneficial to their goals rather than only signing them as a courtesy of being veterans.

Last edited:
Sauber probably want Räikkönen in the car due to his experience given how heavily restricted testing now is. Would not be surprised if they want to keep him around in 2022 for that reason as well.

Sauber probably want Räikkönen in the car due to his experience given how heavily restricted testing now is. Would not be surprised if they want to keep him around in 2022 for that reason as well.

I totally agree

Pretty sure he is there as a development driver to help the team and 2nd driver

From this I’m gathering that Aston intend to go with a primarily green+yellow scheme, maybe some white as well.

Im hoping its primarily BRG. It'll probably look similar to the WEC Astons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im hoping its primarily BRG. It'll probably look similar to the WEC Astons.

I dunno, all promo material coming from them has been predominantly green so I think that’ll be their primary color. I do also like yellow as a primary in general, but Aston’s particular choice of neon highlighter Chartreuse horrifies me. For me it works as a support color, but I really don’t like it as the base for their GT cars.

I dunno, all promo material coming from them has been predominantly green so I think that’ll be their primary color. I do also like yellow as a primary in general, but Aston’s particular choice of neon highlighter Chartreuse horrifies me. For me it works as a support color, but I really don’t like it as the base for their GT cars.

I do prefer the base color being brg, like the mid 2000s Astons. The newer GTE cars have quite a bit of the bright almost neon yellow.

I like yellow as well but that neon bright style is a little much.

Im sure it'll look good!

2021 already starting off with some poetic justice

IIRC, Jack & Jones was a personal sponsor of KMag's, and were going to leave with him anyways.

That being said, it's always good to see more major players calling out Mazepin on his actions, so good on Jack & Jones.

Last edited:
The market at work doing the right thing is a beautiful sight.

More pressure on Хаас the better.

^That just makes Haas even more dependent on Mazepin, and less likely that he will get kicked out unfortunately.

Re: Aston livery, classic dark BRG would be my preference but I feel like the Jaguar curse would come back to haunt them :lol: I wouldn't mind a lighter shade of green, almost teal Leyton House-esque combined with yellow highlights.

It's annoying that Renault changed to Alpine otherwise we could have the full complement of rainbow colours next season:
Ferrari / McLaren / Renault / Aston / Red Bull (bluish-purple)

Me likey colorful grids :P

Last edited:
Peak/BlueDEF is/was also a sponsor on their NASCAR team, right?
Yep, they were on the Clint Bowyer's #14 car for a handful of races, though he just retired. All that's known right now is that Highpoint, a "leading customer service and technology solutions company", is sponsoring the car for an unspecified number of races next season with rookie Chase Briscoe. Question marks whether Peak/BlueDef will be back.

Back