2024 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 224 comments
Genuinely didn't know there was a race yesterday.

Think we can all agree that this round of the Supercars is pointless and really shouldn't count as a proper part of the championship. Hopefully this is the last time that does.
For sure. They're never going to get proper races being the fourth tier event, they couldn't even when they were the second tier.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of overtaking yesterday though.
The whole F2 and F3 thing feels more F1 trying to push focus away from Supercars so it isn't seen as a "threat" to an F1 event, especially when Albert Park was a special case and was designed to cater to Supercars as well in terms of pit lane. Supercars pushed F1s hand to make a Championship round so they are pushing back harder to make said Championship round redundant and even take them off anyway. F1 has been on an elitist power trip since it got its American audience from Drive to Survive

(Which honestly, just let Supercars be, theyll do it to themselves at this point. No need to politics your way out, Liberty)
It seems to me like a very abusive relationship. One that Supercars would be best out of. It was all well and good when F1 needed Supercars, but now...

It seems to me like a very abusive relationship. One that Supercars would be best out of. It was all well and good when F1 needed Supercars, but now...
I think its a FOMO for Supercars given the organisers obsession with grabbing an international audience like that debacle for Singapore. They'll probably let F1 bully them into a single 3 lap race next year just so they dont miss out on international coverage :lol:

They aren't even the Main Event of Friday and Saturday after the Formulas do their Qualifying. Porsche Carerra Cup is :lol:

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of overtaking yesterday though.
While I didn't see the race. Did read afterwards that Mostert dropped back into the midfield after contact with Percat early on and still managed to finish 4th. Far different to what the racing has been there in the last few years and good signs for the Ford camp as well. At least it seems like the Mustangs are capable of racing people now.

Last edited:
Genuinely didn't know there was a race yesterday.

Think we can all agree that this round of the Supercars is pointless and really shouldn't count as a proper part of the championship. Hopefully this is the last time that it does.
Depends on your definition of pointless. It’s a huge event for the sponsors and partners of teams, only really smaller than Bathurst, Adelaide and the Gold Coast. It does bring a lot of value to the event as well, no other support category on the card still holds the crowd in place, and it’s the only event to feature the host countries premier series.

Being relegated to the paddock is obviously an issue, especially annoying that the F2 and F3 teams aren’t even using their garages during their sessions, and time certainty being inevitable is also very frustrating, but I do think the V8s belong here.

I get that a couple articles mention F1 drivers like watching the V8s. F1 fans that don’t normally watch V8s get to see the cars in action at this circuit. Supercars(I think it may revert back to V8 Supercars) drivers like visiting the circuit to be part of the F1 event. I agree about the exposure.

I feel the Supercars had more of appeal with the four door shells. The cars are like a cross of Trans-Am and GT3, but like NASCAR. I thought it would be cool to see Camaro and Mustang battling(Again, I enjoyed the cars at the Newcastle event). No doubt Supercars screwed up the package for the first season. As much as the cars behave differently than most tin top categories, there need to be more to the look of these cars that screams Australia. I don’t know what, but something like that.

The cars race this circuit so well, some of the most entertaining on track action on the calendar, was the same last year.
YES! Ever since it became a championship round, Albert Park has delivered some cracking action. It's my favourite sprint round BY FAR.

Depends on your definition of pointless. It’s a huge event for the sponsors and partners of teams, only really smaller than Bathurst, Adelaide and the Gold Coast. It does bring a lot of value to the event as well, no other support category on the card still holds the crowd in place, and it’s the only event to feature the host countries premier series.
Just more referring to the on track action. Races that are 14 or so laps in length without any pit stops hardly makes for the greatest spectacle ever. May as well go back to being a non championship round. Fair point you make though about the exposure the sponsors, etc get out this.

Last edited:
It does bring a lot of value to the event as well, no other support category on the card still holds the crowd in place, and it’s the only event to feature the host countries premier series.
Granted it's the only that can do it.

Not counting European Countries where F1 is king regardless. Japans Super GT and USAs NASCAR Cup, IndyCar or even SportsCar Championship wouldn't be comprimising to F1s schedule since they are single long races, Supercars already runs on a Touring Car multiple race weekend formula so its easier to insert. Super Formula would be the next possible option to join the F1 calender but that has issues with sharing pitlane spots in Suzuka

Last edited:
I subscribed to the Superview for the Bob, I witness a bop through out the last two races in Albert Park. Is there anything else I need to keep up to date of how things work in this motorsport? I'm quite relatively new to this to be honest...
Don't get to used to that SpongeBob livery. It will probably only be on the car for a round or two.

And all you really need to know is don't take anything that the commentator Mark Skaife says as truth. He's an habitual liar and his bias towards one team is unbearable.

I'll leave it at that.

Don't get to used to that SpongeBob livery. It will probably only be on the car for a round or two.

And all you really need to know is don't take anything that the commentator Mark Skaife says as truth. He's an habitual liar and his bias towards one team is unbearable.

I'll leave it at that.
Yeah, after seeing the pace of that one, I find how two Fords can't hold 1st and 2nd in Races 5 and 6 to be more interesting...

Although I can't really tell about the commentator bias that much for now. Maybe with time I'll notice once I get used to the grid.

But thanks for the comments!

Jeez, obviously the results weren't there but Percat saying that he was considering retiring and "hated every second of that mob", is certainly some strong language. Makes me wonder what exactly went down during his time WAU. :lol:

And did Payne have a bullseye on his car this weekend? Poor guy got belted around in the last race.

Jeez, obviously the results weren't there but Percat saying that he was considering retirement and "hated every second of that mob", is certainly some strong language. Makes me wonder what exactly went down during his time WAU. :lol:
I thought something was up because his results were pretty shocking. Happy to see that he still remembers how to drive. If he gets some more strong results, he could be an outside championship threat.

And a new rivalry is created.

Speedcafe understand the complaint centres around an alleged altercation between MSR commercial staffer Slade Perrins and WAU CEO Bruce Stewart.

It is believed that it started as a heated discussion about the on-track clash between MSR’s Cam Hill and WAU’s Ryan Wood late in the race and, according to MSR’s claims, ended with physical contact between the team members.
thought something was up because his results were pretty shocking. Happy to see that he still remembers how to drive. If he gets some more strong results, he could be an outside championship threat.
Pretty sure the 2nd WAU is cursed. No one has been able to do anything decent in that car since Mostert arrived. :lol:

Last edited:
And a new rivalry is created.

Pretty sure the 2nd WAU is cursed. No one has been able to do anything decent in that car since Mostert arrived. :lol:
Seems to be a curse for all teams with visible international commitments.

WAU, DJR Penske, Garry Rogers Polestar. They end up being a 1 car team with the 2nd car being a sidekick.

Last edited:
I thought overall the racing we got was actually pretty good, especially today. But I think it’s time to step away from the AGP. We can only be a support category when F2 & F3 aren’t there. Even the Porsches had longer races than us. Go to QR or Winton.

Anyone that watches NASCAR like I do will know that this is a match made in heaven. If you can watch it on next Saturday morning do it.

Last edited:

Anyone that watches NASCAR like I do will know that this is a match made in heaven. If you can watch it on next Saturday morning do it.
How do you plan to watch that series? I normally watch IndyCars and other hard to watch motorsport here.

If you’re not fussed about watching the race live, NASCAR upload races to YouTube after the fact.

Last edited:
Back