GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 84 : Don't 'Cha Wish Your Ferrari Was Fast Like Me?

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 171 comments

Gravitron

GTP WRS Race Admin
United States
Seattle
GTP_Gravitron
wrstitlestimetrials.png

GT5 Week 84 : Don't 'Cha Wish Your Ferrari Was Fast Like Me?

gt5logo.png

Hotlap Event in Arcade Mode Time Trial

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_25.jpg

McLaren MP4-12C

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_12.jpg

Autodromo Nazionale Monza

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_21.jpg

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Race Details:

• Mode: Arcade Mode : Time Trial
  • Track: World Circuits > Autodromo Nazionale Monza
  • Car Type: Arcade Only > Premium
  • Make: UK > McLaren
  • Model: MP4-12C

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_9.jpg

Vehicle Specifics:

• Power: 582 HP (Stock)
  • Weight: 1350 kg (Stock)
  • Transmission: Optional
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: OFF (Those Found using this Aid will be DQ'd) - Be Careful - The Setting for This Aid is Whatever You Used Last - Be sure it's set to 'Off'
  • Tire Type: Sport Mediums (S2's)
  • Other Aids (Traction Control, Active Steering, and ASM): Optional
  • Grip Reduction on Track Edge: Optional
  • Mechanical Damage: Optional
  • Controller Steering Sensitivity: Optional
  • In Event Tuning Settings: Optional (If Available)

Race Specifics:

• The car used for this race is from the "Arcade Only" Section. Do Not use a car from the "Favorites" Section.
  • The event MUST be run using your GTP_Tag Account.
  • The use of the clutch that is found on the G25, G27, and other high end racing wheels is strictly prohibited.
  • No Contact with walls or other objects. Any contact with walls, no matter how minor, will result in a DQ.
  • Tarmac and Red and White Rumbles are Track.
  • Green surfaces next to rumble strips are not track.
  • See Week 18's OP for more on legal/illegal areas. Rules are the same this week.

picture.php

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_1.jpg

Steward's Comments:
A tribute to the last F1 race. :) This car makes Monza come alive. 👍
Just stay away from "The Twitter".:rolleyes:

Viewing your T1 & T2 Lap Time Splits:

• You need to make sure you save the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay'

• To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Home' and watch the replay from there using the 'Replay Theater' option.
  • While Viewing Your Replay, Choose the "Live Timing Monitor" To View Your Sector Times
  • To post your T1 and T2 Splits, simply post the sector times that are shown in the live timing monitor.
  • The WRS Fetchbot has been updated and will now add your splits together!

pb060041mt3.jpg

Save best lap / ghost replay icon

Standard Clean OLR Rules:

• At least two tires in contact with track at all times.
    • In situations where contact with the track is not possible because tires are airborne (above the ground), then the run is only legal if at least two tires would have made contact with the track if the car were not airborne.
    • If track contact cannot be 100% determined, then consider it dirty.

• Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind,these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done,and we can read your mind.We will know.
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Save your best lap/ghost replay

Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed via other private conversation methods
):

• Total Lap Time
  • Any information which can be used to infer your total laptime

The following information can be discussed in this thread
:

• T1 & T2 times
  • Any settings discussion.

Number of Splits: 2

Submission:

All submissions must be sent by PM (Subject title: GTP_WRS Week 84 Submission ) to (WRSFetchbot):

• Please submit your time in the following format on a single line:
    Time: X'XX.XXX
    (Example-) Time: 0'49.100
  • Users can ask the bot for the current submitted time by sending a message with the body: "get entry"
  • Users can delete their submitted time by sending a message with the body of "remove entry".
  • If multiple times are submitted, only the last submission will be counted.
  • Please include in your submission PM your final lap time
  • The deadline is Monday, September 24th, 2012 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_2.jpg

Why Use GMT?:

Time verification:

Save your ghost replay and keep it at least a full two weeks after the event's deadline:

• Racers, named by the OLR Admin staff, (if any) will be required to submit a replay for verification
  • Any submitted time is subject to a time verification request
  • When a time verification has been requested, the concerned racer must provide the correct replay within seven days of the request
  • Failure to do so will result in the removal of the unverified submission from the results table
  • Video replays are not accepted as a form of verification

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_19.jpg

Good luck, :gtplanet:
OLR Team

Last edited:
Lucas, I see you ditched the picture.:lol:

I wanted a short break from Tokyo, I'll come back to this in a few days.

Also needed a break from Tokyo... Tricky beast this one. Turn in understeer straight to power oversteer without so much as a wink. Got a few laps in but not sure yet if I'll follow through this week. Here's some splits to aim at anyway:

Back to Tokyo and that missing tenth...

Edit: OK, a few more laps of this first. :sly:

Last edited:
Also needed a break from Tokyo... Tricky beast this one. Turn in understeer straight to power oversteer without so much as a wink. Got a few laps in but not sure yet if I'll follow through this week. Here's some splits to aim at anyway:

Back to Tokyo and that missing tenth...

Edit: OK, a few more laps of this first. :sly:

Sounds to me like the front is lifting under power?

No, I think its more a general weight distribution thing but the torque seems to come in a sudden mad rush in the exits. Good fun trying to keep it calm, particularly in the exit of Ascari.

Getting a better rhythm now - far more addictive than I was hoping for at this point and it seems to have lured me away from Tokyo...

Had a few laps with the ds3, was rather difficult.

Will give the wheel a go....

This car is really hard to drive and not just on these tyres. Never managed to work it out when trying to build one in the aspec career either.

Edit: Much better with the wheel! Still requires a lot of care but you can find the balance nicely with 80% throttle through the bends. Ascari is particularly hard on exit, did see splits better than these but blew it there.

Last edited:
Awesome combo Lucas 👍 One of my favorite cars on one of my favorite tracks :D I think I'll find some time to put into this ;)

First Splits

Still lots left in sector 2 :D

Last edited:
Some first splits, hopefully it will not be a too busy week at the job and i'll be able to run again! :)

Very nice combo choice!
I never really enjoyed Monza in GT5, but this car make it addictive! 👍

Goodluck everyone, have a nice week! :cheers:

Great kick off Mike. 👍

I pulled a 37.892 2nd sector out of my hat earlier, so hopefully I'll manage another one before the end of the week. :)

Thx Chris :) 37,892 is really fast, i need to work on T2 next time.:scared:

Last edited:
This is such a pretty car, but you used the wrong color, Lucas! :D Time for me to learn some better throttle control. 👍

Should have used McLaren Orange?

I did try it with the DS3 for at least 30min, and I agree it'll be a little tricky, but just throw on some traction control. :dopey:

Glad some folks are "stuck in" already. 👍

It is tricky... I might even go so far as to say its handling is annoying. Everything I've seen and heard about the MP4 says its eminently driveable so either Polyphony got it wrong or that description is slightly inaccurate. TC helps keep the torque in check but also neuters it too much - very careful throttle and short-shifting is the way to go but that can also be frustrating since you never get the feeling of letting the car stretch its legs. I think GT5's Monza is part of the problem too... any car I drive round here seems to lack the grip and traction you would expect.

Can't get anywhere near my 37.892 2nd sector of yesterday... I'll probably spend all week chasing that. Got a handle on sector 1 though I think.

Got a bit sideways coming out of Ascari which cost me at least a tenth up the back straight... its going to be a high stress factor this week.

Lucas, could you explain following ; just stay away from 'the twitter', :)
I'm guessing that's a reference to Lewis Hamilton's little tantrums on Twitter, particularly over the Spa weekend.

Great new splits Chris! , you got T1 spot on :), my best T1 was 31,046 but mostly low 31,100s with some 31,080s. Under 31,100 its very good.

Another close week it seems! :D.
Well done! Hoping to run a quick session tonight

It is tricky... I might even go so far as to say its handling is annoying. Everything I've seen and heard about the MP4 says its eminently driveable so either Polyphony got it wrong or that description is slightly inaccurate. TC helps keep the torque in check but also neuters it too much - very careful throttle and short-shifting is the way to go but that can also be frustrating since you never get the feeling of letting the car stretch its legs. I think GT5's Monza is part of the problem too... any car I drive round here seems to lack the grip and traction you would expect.

This bothered me too initially. After doing some reading, I think I figured out why.

Most car reviews have Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires installed (high performance road legal sticky tires, an option on the MP4 12C). In PD's world, I think those would be the Sports Soft tires. So no matter how go the car's handling characteristics are, if the tires used have lesser grip (S2's in this case), it's going to mess up the handling. It drives quite nice on the sports soft tires.

Powers of deduction :sly:.

Yeah, I thought it was a little *too* nice on SS tires.:sly: I wasn't really screwing up or getting much difference in laptimes after about 10min. Where's the fun in that? :lol:

Besides, the plan for the online race is to use SS tires, and having the time trial on SM's means that the offline vs online grip levels will match pretty closely.

I think you guys just spent too much time on week 83.:sly:

Great new splits Chris! , you got T1 spot on :), my best T1 was 31,046 but mostly low 31,100s with some 31,080s. Under 31,100 its very good.

Another close week it seems! :D.
Well done! Hoping to run a quick session tonight
Thanks Mike. :) Early days yet though... time enough for you to pull something out of the bag. Or Wes for that matter.... still waiting for his ballistic opening splits :sly: Good luck tonight. 👍
This bothered me too initially. After doing some reading, I think I figured out why....
Yeah I'll go with that as a reasonable explanation 👍 ...haven't tried it on S3s - didn't want to spoil myself with the extra grip. :P
Where's the fun in that? :lol:
You've been here too long Lucas mate. :sly:
I think you guys just spent too much time on week 83.:sly:
Wes, as they say in Newcastle-upon-Tyne... "G'an boil ya heed!" :sly: And remember, not everyone likes a car to feel like its not actually in contact with the road. :dopey:

Vagabond
Its the WRS Mantra. :lol: More laps, more laps, we need more laps. 👍

I hear ya. Just did this combo recently in SNAIL Spec racing so hopefully that cuts down the laps I need. I should be able to put in an hour or two.

So looking at week 18 it seems we cant run wide out of the exit of ascari chicane like the formula 1 folks do, Im I right? Should we drive at least 2 wheels inside the white boundary lines?

So looking at week 18 it seems we cant run wide out of the exit of ascari chicane like the formula 1 folks do, Im I right? Should we drive at least 2 wheels inside the white boundary lines?

Lucas will need to answer his intention on that one. Each event stands on its own with respect to regs, he only referenced week 18 for the green areas that are OB.

My intention was not only to use Week 18's boundaries as they related to the green areas. We're using Week 18's exact same boundaries all around. I changed the wording to be more explicit:

• Tarmac and Red and White Rumbles are Track.
  • Green surfaces next to rumble strips are not track.
  • See Week 18's OP for more on legal/illegal areas. Rules are the same this week.

The last couple pics in the Lambo thread for Week 18 should clarify it for you; that the white line is the edge of legal surface, or of course the red/white rumbles if the car were further back:

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_22.jpg

Tarmac outside the white boundary line after the rumbles end in the left hand exit of Ascari (is illegal)

Back